SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1)
This topic is about Wool Omnibus
Group Reads Discussions 2013 > "Wool Omnibus" First Impressions *No Spoilers*

Comments (showing 1-50 of 55) (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kim, The Survivor (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim | 1151 comments Mod
I've heard quite a bit of good about this collection of novellas. I can't wait to dive into it.

Darci (luminique) | 32 comments I've read the first of the stories and part of the second and it's really interesting so far. I like the way the author is establishing the world without relying on infodumps. I don't think this is a world I would want to live in, but what I've seen of it makes sense. The writing is good and keeps pulling me along to find out more.

message 3: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki (nikki_palun) I have heard good things as well. I had just picked this up so I am looking forward to it as well. If my 6 month old is cooperative and lets me read at night.

message 4: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 873 comments Another one that seems intriguing and I hope to get to.

message 5: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 109 comments I've enjoyed my reading of Wool. I've not made it through all in the Omnibus yet, but this being a monthly read gives me a good excuse to do so.

Barb S. (barbtrek) | 20 comments I finished this last night & loved it. It was a pretty quick read I thought. The author definitely did a great job world building. I really had a clear image in my mind while reading this. The characters were also very well written.

David (dfmjr) | 10 comments I have read parts 1 and 2 and really enjoyed the "reveal" of the world. The combination of characters work and general impressions of the space made it feel real. Looking forward to parts 3-5.

Paul Nelson (PaulN) | 9 comments Really enjoying so far, 'the cleaning' sounds a daunting prospect, much like what the missus must face when she wants me to clean our windows.

message 9: by Bev (last edited Jan 01, 2013 02:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bev (Greenginger) I really want to read this but the kindle edition is quite expensive here in the UK so I am browsing for second hand copies. Fingers crossed.

Nope sorry all editions not yet published in Uk so expensive imports only. :(

message 10: by Stacia (the 2010 club) (last edited Jan 01, 2013 02:14PM) (new) - added it

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 20 comments I'd read the first 3 installments back when I got them for free. This month might be the incentive I need to purchase the omnibus and finish this out.

The concept was interesting. I know a few people have said there was some predictability, but the end of the first installment left me a little surprised iirc.

Beezlebug (Rob) | 15 comments I finished this last month and really enjoyed it too. I thought the novella approach was well suited for this because it provided some nice points to break up the story and take it in different directions. The next books in the series have been good too with the first one serving as a prequel.

George (galgozzini) | 17 comments I found the characters very believable and the writing of both male and female characters better than most authors do. A lot of the time many authors in my opinion seem to only write one sex well and the opposite sex seems flat. (No pun intended)

message 13: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Bender (adambender) | 11 comments I've just finished the first two Wool stories and am excited to read more! Great characterizations without feeling like it's dragging on, and the twists have been great.

As a self-published dystopian author myself, it gives me a lot of hope seeing fiction like this do well!

Coralie | 63 comments I reserved this at the library as soon as I saw it on the poll. However I am still number 3 in line with only one copy as yet so I doubt I will get to it this month.

message 15: by Evilynn (last edited Jan 02, 2013 12:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Evilynn | 332 comments I read the first couple of paragraphs this morning, and I hope to read a couple of the novellas before A Memory of Light comes out. I've heard a lot of good things about Wool, so I'm looking forward to finally getting around to reading it!

message 16: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike | 3 comments This is a page-turner -- once I started, I could not put it down. The story is compelling and the characters interesting and sufficiently-developed. It feels like a novel and I would not have realized that it was separate novellas had I not been told. I'll be looking for more from Howey.

message 17: by ✿Claire✿ (new) - added it

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 34 comments I can't find it in my local library, or my uni one so I don't think I'm going to be able to join in with this one :(

message 18: by Jon (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jon | 6 comments I've read the first two stories. I've stalled out on the third, but will return in a week or two. Interesting world so far.

message 19: by Colin (new)

Colin Kirkham | 1 comments Unfortunately I can't join in with this one as the book isn't released here in the UK and the Kindle version is very overpriced. Hopefully we'll get a UK print release soon as I am very interested in reading it.

message 20: by Kim, The Survivor (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim | 1151 comments Mod
The UK Kindle version is about the same price as the US one. It's being released in hardcover and paperback in the UK in about 2 weeks. Oh and same for the US. Until now I was unaware this was only an ebook. Well damn.

message 21: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 83 comments I've only read the first one, but really enjoyed it and keep meaning to pick up the rest of the omnibus. One of these days!

Another thing I appreciate is that Hugh Howey is a pretty active user on GR (he often posts in another group I'm in), but he participates as a reader himself and is never spammy. The reason I initially read Wool was that I kept seeing his really well-thought out posts and comments, and when I realized he was a GR author I was intrigued about his book and followed up. Other authors should take note!

Tracy B | 1 comments I recently finished the Omnibus (loved it) and just started First Shift (prequel).

Peggy (psramsey) | 330 comments Grrr, my library system doesn't have it, and I'm still e-book resistant. No Wool for me. :-(

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 02, 2013 08:56PM) (new)

For an indie publication, this is a good book. I enjoyed the first four parts, but thought part five was a let down. I wouldn't be interested in the prequel.

The Kindle edition had annoying block formatting the whole way through.

message 25: by ✿Claire✿ (new) - added it

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 34 comments Kim wrote: "The UK Kindle version is about the same price as the US one. It's being released in hardcover and paperback in the UK in about 2 weeks. Oh and same for the US. Until now I was unaware this was only..."

I can only find part one on Kindle, not the omnibus and it's more than I would pay for a print book I knew I really liked. (I'm a student so limited funds for books!)

message 26: by Kim, The Survivor (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim | 1151 comments Mod
This is the UK omnibus edition - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wool-Trilogy-...

You can tell by the page count and by looking at the contents page on the preview. The paperback will be around £7.03 when it's released (Book Depository price).

message 27: by Bev (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bev (Greenginger) Kim wrote: "This is the UK omnibus edition - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wool-Trilogy-...

You can tell by the page count and by looking at..."

Its a shame really that there is such a difference in release dates with US and UK and with the prices too.

message 28: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Nelson (PaulN) | 9 comments nearly 20% in and you start to get a feel for the size of the place, three sections of 48 floors each with mechanical at the bottom of the pile. Sounds familiar being an engineer myself.

Andre (telyni) | 79 comments I'm definitely planning on reading this, but I have to wait for my library to get it in. I asked them to purchase it and they very likely will, given the positive ratings and such, but I don't know how long that will take.

message 30: by M.L. (new) - rated it 4 stars

M.L. | 461 comments I'm starting book 4 and am impressed with the story and the author's empathy with his characters, how well he knows them, the details of how they move, their reactions, etc. It's very much an SF mystery and has a lot of depth.

Coralie | 63 comments I don't have a copy of the book yet, but as a knitter I am intrigued by the titles of the novellas. 'Gauge' and 'Casting Off' are both terms used in knitting but by different people. 'Gauge' is an American term for what British knitters would call 'Tension' and "Casting Off' is a British term for what American knitters would call 'Binding off'.

Andre (telyni) | 79 comments I didn't know it was self-published, but it seems like it was either a limited run or Kindle only. Anyway, my library can't get whatever's currently published in the States, so I'll have to wait until it's reprinted in March.

message 33: by M.L. (last edited Jan 09, 2013 01:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

M.L. | 461 comments Coralie wrote: "I don't have a copy of the book yet, but as a knitter I am intrigued by the titles of the novellas. 'Gauge' and 'Casting Off' are both terms used in knitting but by different people. 'Gauge' is an ..."

I noticed the terms as well and wondered about those. It turned out one of the prominent characters is a knitter and there are also chapters 'unraveling' and 'stranded' :)

David Sven (Gorro) | 65 comments I've been wanting to get to this for a while. It's individual book sizes make it ideal for my lunchtime reading.

message 35: by Kim, The Survivor (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim | 1151 comments Mod
Andre wrote: "I didn't know it was self-published, but it seems like it was either a limited run or Kindle only. Anyway, my library can't get whatever's currently published in the States, so I'll have to wait un..."

It was initially ebook only. The hardcopy version comes out this month.

Pixelina | 46 comments Just finished it and I am so glad I finally took the time out to read it, had it on the kindle for some time. The silo is penetrating my dreams now...

message 37: by Timm (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timm (ItsTimm) | 1 comments I've just started the book and barely even scratched the surface. I love it so far and I haven't even actually Julliete. I mentioned the book to a friend at work and it turns out he has read all five books twice!
Got a feeling Im in for a good ride.

message 38: by M.L. (last edited Jan 13, 2013 03:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

M.L. | 461 comments I finished it and thought it was very good, very absorbing; keeps the reader in the moment throughout.

Stacia (stacias) | 7 comments I'm just in book 2, but I'm loving it so far.

Lara Amber (LaraAmber) | 656 comments I just started this weekend. (I think the price dropped since I originally looked at it, so I was more willing to try it as $6). I finished Book 1 and now into Book 2. Very cool.

message 41: by Bev (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bev (Greenginger) Finally got a kindle copy.

Mekerei | 32 comments Finally got my copy from the library; had it on reserve and it was due back mid-January - who ever had it didn't bring it back until the start of March - there are names for people who do this - and they aren't nice.

I've had it three days and love, love, LOVE it! I'm about 75% through and want to know what is happening. Wont be able to watch Walking Dead tonight cos I'm reading!!!

message 43: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (Heidi_g) Darci wrote: "I've read the first of the stories and part of the second and it's really interesting so far. I like the way the author is establishing the world without relying on infodumps. I don't think this is..."

I just finished the first 3 chapters of Wool #1. I agree, no info dumps, very tight third POV. Kudos to Hugh Howey, makes for an intriguing read.

message 44: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (Heidi_g) Bev wrote: "I really want to read this but the kindle edition is quite expensive here in the UK so I am browsing for second hand copies. Fingers crossed.

Nope sorry all editions not yet published in Uk so exp..."

Wonder if this is still true? I got the Omnibus a few days ago for 1.99 US dollars. Quite a deal

message 45: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (Heidi_g) Mike wrote: "This is a page-turner -- once I started, I could not put it down. The story is compelling and the characters interesting and sufficiently-developed. It feels like a novel and I would not have reali..."

me, too! just read the first 3 chapters…now, angsty to get back to it, lol!

message 46: by Heidi (new) - added it

Heidi Garrett (Heidi_g) Okay, now I've read Books 1 and 2, I enjoyed them very much. I'm breaking the omnibus and reading it between other books. Am looking forward to the next installments.

message 47: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay | 19 comments I'm done with everything he has so far and am impatiently awaiting the last trilogy to come out. One of the great things about the series is there are times when you want to buy a plane ticket, fly to the author's home town, and then punch him in the face. Stories should be like life, you don't always like or agree with what is being done but it's still so awesome that you can't help but keep moving forward with it. Authors who only give you what you want and keep you smiling throughout the book haven't done their job. I really enjoyed everything he brought to us with this series.

Michael | 1133 comments I read the first installment last year as a freebie, and I loved it so much I just had to read more (I guess Hugh Howey did their marketing correctly!) I especially liked the mystery aspect of the story; but I also liked his character development and especially the relationship between the first two characters. I was impressed that he was able to reveal information through their interaction in a way that both forwarded the plot and filled in their history and personalities.

Maarit | 103 comments I read the first part today and I'm now starting the second one and I must say I like what I've read so far. The mood is mysterious and somewhat claustrophobic, which is not usually my cup of tea, but this seemed interesting enough book to go on. Characters so far are OK and more questions are raised up than answered. We'll see, what comes next.

Valerie (DarthVal) | 498 comments Okay, I am much further along, but thinking back to my first impressions...

Maybe I'm a Debbie Downer, but I like dystopian fiction. I think there is something about it that strips away layers of nonsense and gets closer to the heart of humanity. Or, I'm just morbid.

I also like the mystery aspect of the beginning. The introductory story of the sheriff and his wife was touching, but really just a tease.

I remember, the story pulled me right in and I couldn't wait for more.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Memory of Light (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Hugh Howey (other topics)