Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Boneshaker (The Clockwork Century, #1)
This topic is about Boneshaker
Book Discussions > Boneshaker

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan, Reader of the fantastic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 510 comments This is our January contemporary novel!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Just starting to get into this steampunk stuff and you get zombies as well, eh? Might be an good read and quite cheap on amazon at the moment too. Should be interesting.

JJ | 4 comments I had read this early last year on a whim and really enjoyed it. The steampunk as a change of pace. Interesting premise for the story line and I really enjoyed the descriptive writing of the underground living and of course the zombies were a bonus.
The only thing I didn't like was that after reading this book I dove into the rest of the series and none (IMHO) were as good as Boneshaker. That said I did pick up The Inexplicables over the weekend. I hope it is a return to the Boneshaker.

message 4: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new) - rated it 4 stars

G33z3r | 1777 comments Frances wrote: "... and quite cheap on amazon at the moment too."

I guess I haven't become so sanguine has to consider us$10 as "quite cheap" for a 4-year-old pulp fiction. (I'm more accustomed to the $7.99 mass market paperback price point.) I'm not sure how the powers that be select which books get premium pricing.)

message 5: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (last edited Jan 06, 2013 07:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

G33z3r | 1777 comments I am just starting Boneshaker, but I just wanted to say, "wow." Cherie Priest wrote the heck out of those first four chapters with some amazing character exposition. Her sense of detail completely drew me into the world of Briar Wilkes, a pariah because of her late husband and only slightly less notorious father. In just a few scenes, I got a rich portrait of Briar: A woman clinging to the edge of poverty, trying to raise an equally ostracized teenage boy despite her fatigue (and, by her own admission, not doing I very good job as a parent.)

This was not what I was expecting when I read "steampunk with zombies".

JJ | 4 comments G33z3r wrote: "This was not what I was expecting when I read "steampunk with zombies".
"

Exactly. When I started I wondered if I was reading the right book. She just draws you into the story one character at a time. Once there she hits you with the vivid details of the surroundings. Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

message 7: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (last edited Jan 08, 2013 07:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

G33z3r | 1777 comments After an awesome introduction to widow Briar Wilkes, I was ready to follow the woman wherever she went. This does turn into an exciting adventure story as Briar is forced to venture into the wasteland that was once downtown Seattle. A toxic gas seeping from below the ground there turns those who breathe it into "rotters", the zombies we were promised. The zombies, tho, turn out to be merely a backdrop complication to a plot that becomes more intriguing as it progresses. (That toxic gas was released 15 years ago by the "boneshaker", an excavation contraption created by Briar's husband. Strangely, that's about it for the title.) Priest's portrayal of a mother desperately looking for her impetuous, runaway son was totally convincing, despite the transformation to action hero. And she creates a number of memorable supporting characters along the way, and she treats them very seriously: Zeke, Cly, Lucy, Jeremiah, and Minnericht.
"This was a man accustomed to being obeyed, and Zeke was not a boy accustomed to obeying."

I found "Boneshaker" to be a very entertaining read.

Xdyj | 416 comments Just finished it today. I find the characterization to be quite good & most major & supporting characters interesting.

message 9: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new) - rated it 4 stars

G33z3r | 1777 comments Other than the obvious continuation of the Clockwork Century series by Cherie Priest, anyone want to recommend other Steampunk novels?

Last year I finished reading Scott Westerfeld's Goliath trilogy, which is a fairly decent YA series. Set just before the outbreak of World War I, its Axis powers use big steam- and diesel-powered war machines (including some really large "walkers".) The British, on the other hand, are Darwinists, using genetic breeding to create a giant menagerie of biological critters (including the title bio-dirigible, a sort of giant jellyfish inflated by hydrogen-producing bacteria.) It has a lot more fun with the bio-technology than the mechanical contraptions.

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 183 comments I loved the Goliath trilogy. It has room for a sequel...

Mathew Carruthers | 10 comments Mark Hodder's Burton & Swinburne series is good. "Stormdancer" by Jay Kristoff is also very good.

David Ward | 7 comments Well it took me some time but I finally finished this book tonight and I'm really glad this was reccomended for the month of January. This is the first steam punk kind of story I've read and I can easilly see myself reading more of these as the whim occures to me. The characters were very likeable and believable and I appreciate that in a novel. The ending tied up the story nicely and granted it doesn't drive me to get the next book in the series it definately makes me want to look them up and perhaps read them at a different time. Thank you for the reccomendation for January. Can't wait to see whats instore for the February choices. :-)

message 13: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new) - rated it 4 stars

G33z3r | 1777 comments David wrote: "This is the first steam punk kind of story I've read ..."

I'm glad you liked it. I haven't read many steampunk myself.

The idea of steam punk seems to be to set a science fiction/fantasy novel back in the 19th century, at the dawn of the Industrial Revolution, and create an alternate history from there that HG Wells or Jules Verne might have imagined. One thing about Boneshaker that struck me was that it's pretty light on actual alternate technology. The title device, the boneshaker, is viewed mostly in retrospect for its consequences. In contrast, Westerfeld's Goliath takes great delight in emphasizing its fantastical alternate technologies.

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 183 comments The raw creativity of the GOLIATH series was just delightful. Also the speed of the story. 70 miles per hour, right down the highway, with the wind blowing in your hair -- that kind of book.

David Ward | 7 comments I took a look at the Goliath book and had to put it on my to read list, thank you for the suggestion. :-)

message 16: by G33z3r, The Old Guy (new) - rated it 4 stars

G33z3r | 1777 comments David wrote: "I took a look at the Goliath book and had to put it on my to read list, thank you for the suggestion. :-)"

Ooops, my apologies, the first book in the trilogy is actually Leviathan @_@. It's definitely best to start at the beginning.

Sue | 39 comments I just finished this, because it took forever for the single copy in my county library system to become available. There's nothing worse that knowing you're next on the list, and seeing that the book is two weeks overdue.

Anyway, it's not my first zombie novel and it's not my first steam punk novel, but it was really well done. I was actually surprised that the lead character seemed to be the mother. YA books usually focus exclusively on the teens.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Boneshaker (other topics)
Goliath (other topics)
Leviathan (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Cherie Priest (other topics)