Read the Movie discussion

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
This topic is about The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Burlington B&N Selections > The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melissa (Ruggerwoman) | 6 comments Mod
Be warned: Spoilers contained, though not the ultimate spoiler...

I watched the Swedish version and read the book back in Feb. 2011 for book group and I caught the last half hour of the American version today. I don't recall the Swedish version including the postscript pieces about Mikael's continued investigation into Wennerstrom and Lisbeth's revenge upon him. Am I just forgetting that or is there actually something better about the remake (besides Daniel Craig)? Speaking of which, I am a little disappointed that we only got to see his chest when he's captured. In the book, he's stripped naked and I didn't mind not seeing the Swedish actor stripped at all, but Daniel Craig...

Anyhow, this is a disturbing story, whether as a book or a movie. Something that helped was how Lisbeth immediately decided to get revenge on her guardian. You can tell that she will prevail and it gives her her power back. And as I mentioned in my own review of the book, the prefacing of sections by stats about the violence against women in Sweden was very powerful. It told me that Larsson wasn't just including horrific people and horrific acts to sell books. He was making a statement.

The book did raise some intriguing questions:
When Lisbeth attacked her guardian, how much of her motivation was revenge and how much was protecting future potential victims? Either works for me.

My notes describe Martin's death in the book as a suicide and asks if that's a cop out by the author. My notes on the Swedish movie describe it as more of an accident. Which was it?

Was Lisbeth right to pass Wennerstrom's location to his enemies? Was it enough punishment or not enough?

The Vanger family is finally changing and women are taking over. Which caused which?

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz (HisSheep) | 9 comments I did read the first book this past year and actually have the DVD (I believe the American version) borrowed from the library ... guess I'd better go watch so I can answer some of the questions posed above ... ;o)

Melissa (Ruggerwoman) | 6 comments Mod
I do want to see the entire American version but I need to watch it on DVD so I can hit the scene skip button and completely avoid the scenes that will give me nightmares. :-)

Tanya Here's my two cents:
The Swedish version was poo. But Lisbeth was great.
Daniel Craig was the best Mikael. The American version was epic. Skaarsgard was a great Martin. And Lisbeth was transcendent.
That being said: the accident that ends Martin is different, but only slightly. And the twist at the end of the book is different than the twist at the end of the film. Both are great. I'm happy with either.

All that said, I'm interested in how they will tackle the next two stories. Both are complex. Both are full of details and personal motivations. You learn a lot about Lisbeth's inner drive and her need for justice, be it legal or vigilante. If you haven't read the stories yet, you must. They're addictive.
Stieg wrote very well driven characters.

Ella (ellux) | 2 comments I red two first books, watched all three Swedish movies and also the American version. To be honest, I was surprised to find out that the American version was much closer to my image of places and characters. Of course the Swedish version had a limited budget, but they missed out on some important details like Mikaels daughter being the one to point out the biblical connection, the on-and-off relationship between Mikael and Erica, or the poor cat. I would suggest to watch the American version to the people who are to busy or lazy to read the book. It gives a pretty good impression of what's happening in the book. Can't wait for the second part to come out :)

Nicholas Muthaara | 2 comments I read all millennium series book and watched the girl with a dragon ratio movie

unread topics | mark unread