And Then There Were None And Then There Were None question

Favorite character?
Rade Rade Dec 29, 2012 11:39AM
Who was your favorite character and why? I am curious to find out who strikes you as interesting and memorable.

I kind of liked Dr. Armstrong. Even though there were at least a couple of moments I thought he was the killer I liked how much common sense he had in trying to find out who was killing everyone.

He seemed to be kind of down to earth kind of guy (even though, as you know, he wasn't COMPLETLELY innocent as the killer mentioned in the message).

Iris (last edited Apr 06, 2015 04:11PM ) Apr 06, 2015 04:06PM   1 vote
I liked Vera because of her no nonsense appearance, but then because of how she evolves into a nut. She freaked out and gets on the defensive moreso than the rest. And she discovers that the deaths are like the poem lines. And finally because of her guilt about what she did. I just really liked her, and never once did it cross my mind that she did it. She was too genuine.

Then it was Philip Lombard because he laughed all the way through. Gotta love that.

Macarthur (I dunno why)

Lombard. He kept it real. He was the only one that didn't try to make himself out to be a victim.

Since the beginning I wanted to see how an old polite lady like Emily Brent would fit into this story, and she is one of the most interesting for me. She doesn't regret what she did because she believes that she is right. She has conviction, she acts according to her logic, to what is right for her. She may be wrong sometimes, but everybody is wrong about something in life.
I also liked Vera, I didn't think she'd go so far, and it was clear for me that she wasn't the murderer. And maybe because of this I wasn't expecting her breakdown, not like what happened, at least. That was a surprise!
Wargrave was one of my suspects, but his "slow elderly" image was a huge distraction for me. He seemed too calm and rational. It was interesting to see the way he took the leadership so easily, though. He was definitely always in control...

I love Vera, I think it's because I saw the movie and I loved her in that

Iris There's a MOVIE! I have got to get my hands on that!
Apr 06, 2015 04:08PM

I try to like Wargrave but I simply can't. I try not to like Vera and Lombard but I kinda like them a bit. I'm glad that they died though. Oh yeah and Emily Brent too, I think she shouldn't be killed!

Lombard definitely! But I kinda liked Vera and Wargrave too :/

On my first unspoilt read i actually quite liked Wargrave a lot. His no nonsense attitude and logical way of thinking and acting reminded me of a more aggressive Poirot. Lombard also had some charisma to him. My favourite would have to be one of those two.

Either Philip Lombard or Vera Claythorne.

Vera
She just seemed, if not for the murder she let happen, innocent. To me she came off as the person that was most vulnerable. I felt there were many chances to kill her off, but Wargrave obviously depended on her guilt to do that for him. She was the character I rooted for the entire time, knew wasn't the murderer (although I kinda panicked when she was the last one left), and so badly wanted to live. But, like Vera, I followed the rhyme as well. And when the time came for the One Little Indian... Ughhh I was so mad.
angry

blore

My favorite is Dr. Amstrong.

Josh (last edited Feb 16, 2013 04:29PM ) Feb 13, 2013 01:11PM   0 votes
Favorite character was by far Emily Brent.

She is a victim of her own generation and even though her head is distorted by the Bible, her heart is in the right place (remember how she was the one to say that black or white we're all brothers. Remember, this book was written in the 30s). Her head and God's words tell her she did the right thing but her heart says otherwise. That's why her actions come back to haunt her because despite her values she feels extremely guilty.

Even if that internal conflict doesn't make her the most likeable it certainly makes her the most fascinating, in my opinion.

The crimes can certainly be divided by "head" and "heart"- "logic" and "emotion". Most of the characters did crimes that they knew were wrong but their emotions got the better of them. Lombard and Brent were the only ones that committed their crimes because of what made sense to them. The difference was that Brent thought she was doing the right thing (probably because of her upbringing/life), whereas Lombard knew he was doing the wrong thing but didn't care.

U 25x33
Serena I wasn't a big fan of Emily Brent myself, but everything you bring up about her does make sense. And I do remember when she said that about black peop ...more
Feb 20, 2013 06:44AM

Well this topic is like three years old but I'll comment anyway.

The main thing I loved about this book for me is oddly enough that at the end I hated everyone. The books started by making me sympathize with this group of people captured by a madman for what appears to be no reason. But by the end, it truly was all about self preservation for them. No one truly felt remorse, it was more that they had to suffer the consequences for what they did. And while you can debate whether they all truly commited murder (Brent didn't try and kill the girl and Macarther only sent a man to do a job. Although they both lead to the death of someone) you can't deny that no one had the purest intentions. Even on the island no one truly cared to see anyone but themselves get out of the mess they created. The murders only truly works because everyone on that island was obsessed with greed.

So it's kinda a cop out to say Wargrave most simply because he set events into motion. But he's also such an intresting character. Even he isn't really doing it to be an avenging angel. He did kinda just because he was bored. He wanted to write what he had always read. It's kinda like if Sherlock Holmes decided to try the other side of the game. And while he does see that these people should be tried for their crimes (Again though, debatable) What he truly wants is to be smarter then even the criminal's he's caught. I don't really like Wargrave. It's more just he's a fascinating character to delve into.

Blore

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

And Then There Were None (other topics)