J.R.R. Tolkien discussion

The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3)
This topic is about The Lord of the Rings
Members' Area > Anyone else naming pets/children after LOTR?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 69) (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 30 comments Hello all. I was wondering if any of you have or continue to name any of your pets and/or children after people, places, things, etc from the Lord of the Rings or its prequels.

I first read The Hobbit and then Lord of the Rings in 1990 as a freshman in college, actually joining my university Tolkien group and joining the American Tolkien Society that year.

In June, 1991 my bird died suddenly in an accident during severe weather while I was on campus doing homework. The following weekend, I brought home a new bird -- and named him "Frodo."

Five years later Frodo died. Since that time, every bird I've brought in my life has a name from LOTR: Galadriel, Aragorn, Mithril, and Elendil.

Have any of you done the same? If so, what have you named your pets and/or children?

message 2: by Teadrinkingcat (Alex!!!) (last edited Jan 12, 2013 10:01AM) (new) - added it

Teadrinkingcat (Alex!!!) (Silverstreamisawesome) | 6 comments Sadly all the pets I have now were already named before I got into LOTR. I would love to rename my horse Arwen, though. She looks like an Arwen.

I also had this crazy idea to buy three cats; a brown cat named Frodo, a long-haired white cat named Gandalf, and then a hairless to name Gollum. >_<

message 3: by Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (last edited Dec 28, 2012 08:26PM) (new)

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) I very much want to name my daughter Elinor after Sam's little girl, but I've got to have a child first, and one of my sons middle name will be Faramir. James Faramir. Nice ring no?

Another name a truly love was not actually in the book, but was inspired by naming girls after flowers "Merigold".

message 4: by Monica (new)

Monica Dias (DorianHerestor) | 4 comments I have a cat named Legolas, Leggy for short.
He's a big, white cat with blue eyes and with light yellow-ish, cream-ish stripes on his tail.
I found him by the side of the road that passes in from of house, a little kitten meuwing in the middle of wild grass. Someone must have thrown him out :'-(
Then when he got older, he started climbing trees.

I couldn't resist.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) Haha, that is funny. I want to name my next dog Rover from Tolkien's short "Rover".

Adam Tyler | 9 comments We named our new Yorkie (got him in late November) Bilbo. He's small, furry, and hobbitish.

message 7: by Aldean (last edited Jan 07, 2013 02:37PM) (new) - added it

Aldean | 17 comments Not from LotR, but my wife and I named our daughter Ivrin after the peaceful, healing waters of Eithel Ivrin in the tale of Túrin Turambar (Silmarillion/Unfinished Tales/The Childrin of Húrin).

Michael | 286 comments Mod
That's a beautiful name, Aldean. I think that a lot of Tolkien's Elvish names and words lend themselves to proper names. They're unusual (that is, uncommon) and yet somehow familiar at the same time.

Arok | 21 comments We had a cat once that came with the name Huey, so I called him Huor and later appended the surname Thingol (he was a grey tabby).

Rather more extreme, my son's name is Elessar Maikael (the latter is Tolkienic: maika "sharp, fell" and el "star; elf" - and Sharp Star and Fell Elf are the translations I use for it). He is nicknamed Elf for short. And he will be mortified that I am telling all of this. (But he does love Tolkien and his names).

message 10: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul | 16 comments I used to work with a woman named Arwen (about 15 years ago). First thing I said to her was "Parents are Tolkien fans huh?"
My cat is called Durfin (she's black).

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 30 comments When I had Aragorn (normal grey male cockatiel), he was often very "beaky" (getting his beak into things he shouldn't -- like chewing through the dowel rods in my hard wood folding bookcase). He also loved to find spots where no bird of his size should be able to fit (once he "crashed" and landed in the space between the refrigerator and the wall -- only about 5" x 5"). Of course when these things happened, it would put me in a panic -- first not being to find him for up to an hour and second, not being able to get him out of there myself (refrigerators -- big and heavy!).

After about five or six times pulling this, I started calling him "Smeagol" whenever he did something...well, Gollum like! I didn't yell at him -- just called him "Smeagol, you little rascal, come here!"

Approve/disapprove?

message 13: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin | 31 comments Aldean wrote: "Not from LotR, but my wife and I named our daughter Ivrin after the peaceful, healing waters of Eithel Ivrin in the tale of Túrin Turambar (Silmarillion/Unfinished Tales/The Childrin of Húrin)."

That's really pretty, good idea.

message 14: by James (new)

James Eckblad | 8 comments A scholar friend named his dog Frodo, and I have "Lothlorien" on my credit card! And, although I haven't thought of it for a long time until now, we have named a succession of pets, both dogs and cats, after various characters in T.H. White's "Once and Future King." Does that count?

Michael | 286 comments Mod
James wrote: "we have named a succession of pets, both dogs and cats, after various characters in T.H. White's "Once and Future King." Does that count?"

No, that doesn't count, James, as it's not LotR, but it's a very cool thing to do! :-D

message 16: by Bill (new)

Bill (stilgar73) | 1 comments My daugther's middle name is Arwen!

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 30 comments Bill wrote: "My daugther's middle name is Arwen!"

BEAUTIFUL! That sounds like the perfect middle name!

message 18: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin | 31 comments James wrote: "A scholar friend named his dog Frodo, and I have "Lothlorien" on my credit card! And, although I haven't thought of it for a long time until now, we have named a succession of pets, both dogs and c..."

That's awesome though! What did you name them?

Therese Ptak (sliceoflife89) | 1 comments I named my raggedy 86 Toyota Camry that had no paint and was a palid grey smeagol, it even sounded like him when i tried to start it "gollum gollum" :-)

message 20: by James (new)

James Eckblad | 8 comments Erin wrote: "James wrote: "A scholar friend named his dog Frodo, and I have "Lothlorien" on my credit card! And, although I haven't thought of it for a long time until now, we have named a succession of pets, b..."

Hmm...One cat we named "King Arther," another we called "Wart;" another cat we named "Pellinore," and another "Questing Beast." We named our beagle "Archimedes." I'm thinking there was another cat, but that one escapes me. The most fun with the names were all the reactions and questions we'd get from people! Thanks for asking!

message 21: by James (new)

James Eckblad | 8 comments Erin wrote: "James wrote: "A scholar friend named his dog Frodo, and I have "Lothlorien" on my credit card! And, although I haven't thought of it for a long time until now, we have named a succession of pets, b..."

Erin wrote: "James wrote: "A scholar friend named his dog Frodo, and I have "Lothlorien" on my credit card! And, although I haven't thought of it for a long time until now, we have named a succession of pets, b..."

P.S. What is that lovely scenery behind you? The picture is very tiny; it could be Ireland, Wales, even Scotland?

message 22: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin | 31 comments It's Scotland, actually. I went there a few years ago.

Lucinda | 111 comments I think that is a lovely idea to name your pets after LOTR characters. Sadly i have not as yet, but i am certainly thinking about it!

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 30 comments I am waiting to get a bird whose personality fits Arwen or Mithrandir. I have lots of people look at me funny for naming my current bird after an OBJECT in Tolkien -- but it fits her so well! For what is more precious and treasured in all of Middle Earth than Mithril (the Ring doesn't count since it's Sauron's ring!)? My Mithril is a beautiful albino cockatiel (rare!) whom I have known since before she could eat solid food, perch, or fly. I really am her "mommy bird," feeding her baby bird food from a syringe and helping her learn how to be the wonderful cockatoo she's been. I did consider "simaril" for her. But I think Mithril fits better, especially since the normal coloring for a cockatiel is grey (they are native to the Australian interior).

message 25: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Hien (Saxifrage) | 5 comments I don't have pets nor children yet so I name my gloxinia plant Seregon since its flowers are deep pink :)

message 26: by Mary (last edited Feb 05, 2013 09:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Hien (Saxifrage) | 5 comments I forgot that this thread is for names in LOTR. But I cant find a name in the book that suits my plant so Seregon will have to do.

Andreea Tiuca | 8 comments The name "Sam" is a very good name to name a child in this day and age and also the name "Elanor" is very good name as well and is very beautiful. For me the name "Arwen" is still one of my favourite options, but I wonder if anyone thought of naming a pet or a child "Luthien".

Laurel Rockefeller (laurelarockefeller) | 30 comments Andreea wrote: "The name "Sam" is a very good name to name a child in this day and age and also the name "Elanor" is very good name as well and is very beautiful. For me the name "Arwen" is still one of my favouri..."

Luthien...never thought of it, but it would make a nice name for a parrot! :) I will have to keep that in mind next time I get another bird! "Luthien is a pretty bird" sounds very nice!

message 29: by Erannë (last edited Mar 20, 2013 03:25PM) (new) - added it

Erannë Eren-galad (Eranne) | 11 comments Oh, names. I was thinking and here where I live, Lawrence is said Lorien in the old (and forgotten) Aragonese dialect. So if I have a child, I'll give this name to him.

message 30: by Mae (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mae (pitzpalu) | 2 comments My first car (Austin A30) was called Bilbo, my little cat is Elanor (Ellie).
My (now departed) mare, dark bay with a white star was nearly Arwen Evenstar but I chickened out and called her Philadelphia.

message 31: by Trelawney (new)

Trelawney Grenfell-muir | 2 comments I think it's a stellar idea, pets or children. Just because it's an invented language, doesn't make it less valid- all language is invented, and languages come and go. My family has Cornish roots. My siblings, nieces, and daughters have first names like mine- Cornish: Tallessyn, Tamarleigh, Trevanna, Trevanion, Telynia, Leyalyn, Endelyn, and Zawna. But if I didn't have this strong love for Cornish names, I'd use Tolkien for sure. Love unusual names. So much more fun.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) I love that name Telynia, such a lovely name.

message 33: by Shane (new)

Shane Findlay (LagerLad) | 1 comments I have a pet bearded dragon. And you can probably guess his name. SMAUG!! =)

message 34: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin | 31 comments Shane wrote: "I have a pet bearded dragon. And you can probably guess his name. SMAUG!! =)"

That is awesome!!!

Camille Hodoul | 9 comments I didn't name my cat after one of Tolkien's character, but I do use hobbit names in the naming convention of my home network, maybe that counts ?
My laptop is Samwise, old web server is Bilbo, ...

message 36: by Victoria (last edited Apr 09, 2013 08:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Victoria Scofield (Vicki_S) | 2 comments Sadly, I don't get to because my sister made a tradition that all pets have to be named after food and the tradition can only be broken once we move out. I was too young to have an opinion, if I even existed yet, so no input from me and our pets were bought before I got into The Lord of the Rings. We're also not getting any more pets.

The tradition doesn't apply to fish, so I've had lots of fish named after Lord of the Rings characters. When I move out I want to get a dog and name him Pippin.

message 37: by Lydalyn (new)

Lydalyn | 1 comments My sister's named their cats after LOR characters. There was Frodo and then there was Pippin. Both felines have past away now. All of the cats in my parents home had some sort of fantasy genre name. My sister's last cat Freya, just passed away last month. Freya was a warrior, the Norse goddesses of love, beauty and destiny, a little out of the realm of this group. My sister's cat was true to her name as she fought off many ailments a cat could have and had a specific diet. She will be missed. My kids have loved all my kids cats.

Andreea Tiuca | 8 comments Shane wrote: "I have a pet bearded dragon. And you can probably guess his name. SMAUG!! =)"
That is an AWESOME name just don't have another pet named named Thorin!

Pippalotrfan | 2 comments I am definitely naming my first son Samwise and then i'd name my daughter Arwen or Elanor... then they shall all have LOTR main characters as middle names; mithrandir, frodo, aragorn etc. :D i have decided and i am not changing my mind :P

message 40: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Bonner | 2 comments My mom named me after the Brandywine River and a few years ago I knew two sisters named Arwen and Lothlorien.

message 41: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Bonner | 2 comments And my dog's name is Belladonna Took. :-)

message 42: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 15 comments I named my gerbil Elanor. I usually prefer the unknown names found in the family trees and such. Although I really do like Faramir, and if I had another pet I might name it Olorin (Gandalf).

message 43: by Josh (new)

Josh Blackmon | 2 comments I have a habit of naming fish after Tolkien's characters. But when my Gandalf died he did not return. Anyway, I currently have a betta named Thranduil.

Robyn Ellis | 8 comments As soon as I got my new kitten I pulled out my "Guide to Tolkien Languages" Book. I settled on Lissi, which is Quenya for "sweet". It fits her well!

My fiance and his roommates each got fish, his was the smallest and he named it Ulmo, which we got a private nerd kick out of.

message 45: by H.L. (new)

H.L. Burke (hlgstrider) | 3 comments In high school when I had lambs I raised for awhile, I named a pair of twins "Merry and Pippin" and a ram "Bilbo."

message 46: by Katie (new)

Katie | 4 comments I named my cat Charles Darwn Bilbo Baggins....I call him Darwin for short

message 47: by H.L. (new)

H.L. Burke (hlgstrider) | 3 comments Katie wrote: "I named my cat Charles Darwn Bilbo Baggins....I call him Darwin for short"

I was going to say, that's a lot of name for him to live up to, but then I realized. He's a cat. He doesn't have to try. He is just that awesome by default.

message 48: by Katie (new)

Katie | 4 comments Thanks H.L. - I love your comment. I think Darwin is awesome by default too, seeing he's a cat.

message 49: by D (new)

D Cummings | 1 comments Succession of our cats since 1983 after LOTR & CS Lewis(our dogs just don't seem to fit) Aslan,Galadriel, Belladonna,Bilbo ,Gandalf, Sam, Nessa--the names just seem to fit cats well. Our dogs were always named by our kids with "normal" dog names!!

message 50: by Kathrzn (new)

Kathrzn Bahn | 3 comments Victoria wrote: "Sadly, I don't get to because my sister made a tradition that all pets have to be named after food and the tradition can only be broken once we move out. I was too young to have an opinion, if I ev..."

Ha - you could name the next pet Lembas!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread