We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Your 2013 Reading Log > Danielle's 2013 Reading/Challenges Log

Comments (showing 1-50 of 85) (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Dec 28, 2012 04:11PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments I'll be using this thread to keep track of my reading challenges and stats for reading in 2013.

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments RRRC 2013 A-Z Book Challenge

Read 26 books which titles begin with the letters of the alphabet. You may ignore articles like A, An and The at the beginning of the title. For the letter "X", any book title with the letter X in it is acceptable.

Duration: January 1, 2013 - December 31, 2013

You can sign up anytime, and you can backdate books if you know when you finished it, as long as it was done in the year 2013.

Update:

Completed: X/26

0/26

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

message 3: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Jan 16, 2013 12:05AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments READ-THE-SEASON Winter CHALLENGE: W-I-N-T-E-R
Duration:December 21, 2012 - March 19, 2013

Rules are simple. Using the word WINTER, pick a book title or author (first or last name) that begins with the letters in the chosen season.

W-Wren's Fantasy by Tracey Hewitt Meyer 1/4
I-
N-
T-
E-
R-

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments 2013 A-Z Character Challenge (Male)

Read 26 books with male characters' names that start with the letters of the alphabet.

Entries can either be first name or last name of a major male character in the book.

For the letter X, anywhere within the male character's name is fine.

You can sign up anytime and can backdate books if you know when you finished as long as it was read within 2013.

Update:

0/26

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

message 5: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments 2013 A-Z Character Challenge (Female)

Read 26 books with female characters' names that start with the letters of the alphabet.

Entries can either be first name or last name of a major female character in the book.

For the letter X, anywhere within the female character's name is fine.

You can sign up anytime and can backdate books if you know when you finished as long as it was read within 2013.

Update:

0/26

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

message 6: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments 2013 A-Z Author Challenge

Read 26 books which authors' names (either first or last) begin with the letters of the alphabet. For the letter "X", any author with the letter X in his/her name is acceptable.

You can sign up anytime, and you can backdate books if you know when you finished it, as long as it was done in the year 2013.

Update:

0/26

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Danielle's WLLK All Things Winter Challenge 2012-2013
Duration: December 21st- March 20th
Goal: Read 12 books with the winter theme. This can be anything from the book being set during winter or winter weather, a winter-themed cover, or even characters or titles that bring to mind the season of winter.
Update: x/12

message 8: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Jan 16, 2013 12:03AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Urban Fantasy Challenge # 12: January 1, 2013 to March 31, 2013

All formats are accepted (print, ebooks, audiobooks). Rereads are fine as long as you actually reread the entire book and not just skim it.

Feel free to change your list at any time as needed.

Please note that the Optional Book categories are just that. Optional. You may choose to do none of them or all of them depending on how big of a challenge you want.

Basic Categories
1. Any Urban Fantasy Title:
2. An Urban Fantasy Title with an animal on the cover:
3. An Urban Fantasy Title with a weapon on the cover:
4. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) :

Optional Categories: ~ any genre
5. Cover Hunt: In honor of Valentine’s Day and St. Patrick’s Day read a book with any of the following: a predominantly red cover, a predominantly green cover, a heart on the cover, candy or chocolate on the cover, shamrocks or leprechauns on the cover.
6. January 13 is International Skeptics Day: Read a book in which a character becomes aware of the supernatural world they never knew existed (For example, your average human suddenly discovers that vampires exist)
7. February 3 is The Day the Music Died: Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper died in a plane crash on this date in 1959. Read a book in which a character is a musician (professional or just plays an instrument or sings for fun) or a character dies.
8. March 29 is Smoke and Mirrors Day: Read a book featuring a ‘magician’. Any magic user will do: witch, wizard, warlock, etc. Even a stage magician.--Merlyn's Raven by Rose Vanden Eynden 1/4
9. In With the New: Read any book by a new-to-you author or start a new-to-you series.

You may join the challenge up to the final day of March. If you get a late start it’s fine to back date with any books you started on January 1 or later.

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Dec 29, 2012 12:04PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Danielle's Yearly BDB Challenge:

It's almost 2013 and so it's time for a new yearly challenge!
In this challenge, you’re required to read 52 books (one book for each week of the year). Of course, reading more than 52 books is also allowed.

The challenge is:

Read books that spell out: MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE BOOK IN THE BDB SERIES JUST HAS GOT TO BE [+ book abbreviation*]...

That sentence plus the book abbreviation would make it a total of 52-54 characters. But of course, you're allowed to write full titles and/or use multiple titles.

For each letter you need to find:
- a book with a title that starts with this letter (disregarding all the articles: a, an, the... )
- or a book by an author whose first or last name starts with this letter
- or a book with a character whose first or last name starts with this letter

Duration: January 1st- December 31st, 2013
Completed: x/59

M
Y

A
B
S
O
L
U
T
E

F
A
V
O
R
I
T
E

B
O
O
K

I
N

T
H
E

B
D
B

S
E
R
I
E
S

J
U
S
T

H
A
S

G
O
T

T
O

B
E

L
O
V
E
R

M
I
N
E

message 10: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Dec 31, 2012 06:06PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments 2013 Chubby Chunkster Challenge

This challenge has been hosted in the past by Dana and Yz, and then spread over the net in various forms, now we're bringing it to RRRC. So what is the Chubby Chunkster Challenge, you'd ask? It's about reading those damn fat ass books that you've been avoiding, because, let's face it, short books work best for all the challenges, don't they? Well not in this case. And here are the rules for the 2013 Chubby Chunkster Challenge:

1. Definition of a Chunkster:

- A chunkster is 450 pages or more of fiction or nonfiction. A chunkster should be a challenge.
- If you read large type books your book will need to be 525 pages or more... The average large type book is 10-15% longer or more so I think that was a fair estimate.

[NOTE: if you read e-books, check the hardcover/paperback page count here on GR, it will give you the idea if the book counts]

2. The Rules:

- Audiobooks count.
- Re-reads are fine, as long as you don't skim or skip sections.
- Short Stories and Essay collections will not be counted.
- Books may crossover with other challenges.
- You can join in anytime, but you have till the end of the year to read it all.
- You don't need to list your books ahead of time.
- Once you pick a level, that's it...you're committed to that level!
- When you post your updates, put page count by each chunkster.
- If you completed a level before the end of the year and you want to sign up again, you're more than welcome to do so.

3. You must pick a level of participation:

- The Chubby Chunkster - this option is for the reader who has a couple of large tomes on their TBR list, but really doesn't want to commit to much more than that. 3 books is all you need to finish this challenge.
- Do These Books Make my Butt Look Big? - this option is for the slightly heavier reader who wants to commit to 5 Chunksters over the remainder of the year.
- Mor-book-ly Obese - This is for the truly out of control chunkster. For this level of challenge you must commit to 8 chunksters OR three tomes of 800 pages or more. You know you want to.....go on and give in to your cravings.
- Too Big To Ignore Anymore - this option is for those chunksters on your TBR list (honor code folk, I don't have time to be the challenge police). You may select any number of books over 450 pages but you must LIST THEM ahead of time.

Danielle's 2013 RRRC Chubby Chunkster Challenge

Duration: 1 January - 31 December, 2013
Level: Mor-Bookly-Obese
Update:
Completed: X/8

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Dec 31, 2012 06:06PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments The 2013 Books to Movies Yearly Challenge

Welcome to the group’s first yearly challenge!

I think we can agree that the book is almost always better than the movie. But what’s even better than the book? A challenge based on those books-turned-movies!

Listed below are twenty books (urban fantasy, science fiction, and fantasy) that have been made into movies (some more than once). You have the option of reading the book itself or reading a different book that fulfills one of the alternate suggestions. I have not read all of these books or seen all of these movies, so I apologize if the clues make no sense to folks who are familiar with the stories.

Feel free to use these books for any other challenges you may be doing.
Rereads are fine as long as you reread the entire book. No skimming!
You may post as you go and change your list at any time.

You have from January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013 to complete the challenge.

Choose your level:
Raisenettes: 6 – 9 books
Junior Mints: 10 - 14 books
Milk Duds: 15 – 18 books
Large Popcorn with Extra Butter: all 20 books

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll ~ Read the Book –OR- any book in which a character is transported from their own world to another –OR- any book in which the main character is under the age of 18

2. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis ~ Read any book in the series –OR- any book that includes sibling characters –OR- any book with talking animals

3. Contact by Carl Sagan ~ Read the book –OR- any book with a scientist or mathematician as a primary character –OR- any book in which characters come into contact with, or attempt to contact, a previously unknown race of beings

4. Dracula by Bram Stoker ~ Read the book –OR- any book in which a primary character is a vampire -OR- a book including an insane character

5. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury ~ Read the book –OR- any book with fire depicted on the cover –OR- read a book from this list of Top 100 Banned/Challenged Books: 2000-2009

6. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley ~ Read the book –OR- any book including a mad scientist/doctor –OR- any book involving dead creatures that are reanimated (zombies, revenants, some vampires, etc)

7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling ~ Read any book in the series –OR- any book in which the main characters spend time at school (magic or mundane) –OR- any book set in England

8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams ~ Read the book –OR- read any book that involves aliens –OR- any humorous book that makes you laugh

9. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein ~ Read the book –OR- any fantasy book – OR- any book by an author who uses initials instead of their first name

10. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins ~ Read any book in the trilogy –OR- a book in which a bow and arrow is the weapon of choice –OR- a book that is part of any other trilogy

11. Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice ~ Read the book –OR- any book set in New Orleans –OR- any book in which one character plots the murder of another

12. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton ~ Read the book –OR- any book in which the characters visit a theme park or amusement park -OR- any sci-fi book

13. 1984 by George Orwell ~ Read the book –OR- any dystopian novel –OR- any book involving mind control

14. The Princess Bride by William Goldman ~ Read the book –OR- any book involving swordplay –OR- a book with a pirate character (space pirates count, too!)

15. A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs ~ Read the book –OR- any book in which the main character is a member of the military or a veteran –OR- any book set prior to 1900

16. Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein ~ Read the book –OR- any book that involves space travel –OR- any book from this list of Hugo Awards for Best Novel (You may read a winner or a nominee)

17. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells ~ Read the book –OR- any book that involves time travel –OR- any steampunk novel

18. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Vern ~ Read the book –OR- a book that takes place, at least in part, on a boat or submarine –OR- a book (fiction or nonfiction) that includes water dwelling creatures (mermaids, selkies, Jacques Cousteau, etc)

19. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer ~ Read any book in the series –OR- any book set in the Pacific Northwest (U.S. states of Oregon, Washington, and the Canadian province of British Columbia) -OR- any Young Adult novel

20. 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke ~ Read the book –OR- any book that takes place in outer space –OR- any book that features Artificial Intelligence (computers or robots able to think for themselves)

Bonus book:
I am very excited about the release of the film Ender’s Game in November of 2013, so I just had to include it as a bonus book. You may read this book in addition to the 20 above OR you may use it as an alternate for any one book above.
For example, if you’re stuck on #17 and just can’t come up with a book you want to read for that category, you can fulfill this bonus book and use it in place of #17. Just make sure to let me know you’re substituting and remember you can only substitute once.

To earn this bonus book, either read the book Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card –OR- any book in which people are pawns in someone’s game –OR- any book with an ending the took you completely by surprise.

message 12: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Danielle's WLLK Year Long Reading Challenge 2013
Goal: Read a newly-released book, a new author, a new genre, or new series every month.

January:
February:
March:
April:
May:
June:
July:
August:
September;
October:
November:
December:

message 13: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Kick'N Bingo Six Month Challenge:

Begins: January 1, 2013
Ends: June 30, 2013

The Challenge?

Play bingo with a kick for this six month challenge. You can complete this challenge in conjunction with others and use the handy grid box to plot your progress. Once you have a full row across or down completed come back to the thread and call yell, "BINGO".

Levels:

Ante Up: Complete all the blocks across in row #1.

Beginners Luck: Complete all the blocks across in row #2.

All-In: Complete all the blocks across in row #3.

Double Down: Complete all the blocks across in row #4.

Bankroll: Complete all the blocks going straight down in a row of your choice.

All or Nothing: Complete all the diagonal blocks (either from the left to right corner or vice versa).

High Roller: Complete all the blocks across in row #5.

The Rules:

Please note that you cannot use the same book in more than one block in this challenge. One book per block.

Identify your level prior to your reading. Here's the kicker. Once you've chosen a level, you can only decide to move up to a higher level from that level. You cannot reduce your level once you've made your initial selection. So choose wisely :).

As you complete your challenge blocks come back and update your initial post by spelling out B-I-N-G-O.

For example:

Level: Ante Up

B: Read 1 urban fantasy (non pnr)
I: Read 1 book from a new to you series
N:
G:
O:

BINGO

Non traditional shifters can be any animal that is not:

- bear
- wolf
- fox
- dragon
- big cat (panther, lion, leopard, etc.)

My Level:

All-In:

1. Read 3 Non-traditional shifter books
2. Read 3 books from your TBR shelf
3. Read 3 2013 new releases
4. Read 3 books from a new to you series
5. Read 3 urban fantasies (non PNR)

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Dec 31, 2012 09:38PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Second Chance Challenges
**This challenge was originally created by Shelleyrae at Book'd Out**

Supporting local libraries is essential as closures and amalgamations become ever more frequent and this challenge is designed to encourage you to use their services in the next year. It should be easily combined with any other challenges you might be participating in for 2011 and if you don’t have access to a library you are also permitted to borrow from friends or family.

How it works:

* The challenge will run for 1 year from your start date

* Read a book that you have BORROWED each month. Books (including eBooks & Audiobooks) can be borrowed from the library, a friend or family member but must be borrowed, read and returned to the owner within the year. Choose a goal from the four options below:

Borrower Be: Borrow, read and return 12 books
Stacked: Borrow, read and return 24 books
Book Envy: Borrow, read and return 36 books
Library Lust: Borrow, read and return 48 books

* You can nominate your reads in advance or as you go. Feel free to combine this challenge with any other challenges you may be participating in!

Level: Borrower Be

Completed: X/12
Update:

message 15: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Dec 31, 2012 08:59PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Fans of IRR 2013 A to Z Challenge
Practice your ABCs with our 2013 A to Z Challenge.

Duration: January 1 - December 31, 2013

Instructions:

1.Read 26 books that feature interracial romance in some fashion, of any genre to make up the letters of the alphabet A to Z. You can count books in the following ways:

* Author's first, middle or last name
* Title begins with the letter, or for X, it can feature the letter in any word of the title.
* Only the name of the character in the novel who is involved in the interracial romance. In other words, if you use a character name, they need to be one who is involved in the relationship that you are using to count the book.

You can only count the book one time for any of the 26 letters of the alphabet.

2. Please let the moderator know you are participating in the challenge. You can join at any time during the year.

3. You can change your books at any time.

4. Update your stats regularly, and post your final completed list when you say you have finished the challenge.

message 16: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Jan 16, 2013 12:03AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Danielle's 2013 Harlequin/Silhouette Reading Challenge

Goal: Read 50 books from any of the Harlequin/Silhouette lines (including special title releases).

Duration: 1 January - December 31, 2013

1. Dearest Traitor by Patricia Wilson 1/12

message 17: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Jan 16, 2013 12:02AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments UFA's Creature Comforts Challenge 2013
Duration: Jan 1st to December 31th 2013

Fae

Werewolf

Vampires

Shifters

Ghosts

Demons

Witches

Wizards
1-Merlin from Merlyn's Raven by Rose Vanden Eynden 1/4

Gargoyles

Zombie

Psychics/Mediums

Others

0/60

message 18: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Jan 01, 2013 12:46AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Danielle's Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group 2013 Mega-Challenge

Duration: January 1-December 31, 2013

Option A: Spell Out Your Love!

For this Option, you can choose to spell out a dangerous hero-related phrase using only books with dangerous hero characters. You can use:
1. The first or last name of the author
2. The first letter of the book title (not including A, An, And, or The)
3. If you choose your own acronym and it contains the letter X, the word can have X anywhere in its spelling. Other letters much be used in the specified manner.
4. You can even use the hero’s first or last name, but only once.
Here are your choices (you can do however many you like throughout the year).

Spelling Choice:

7.WALKING TALKING LETHAL WEAPON (26 letters)

W
A
L
K
I
N
G

T
A
L
K
I
N
G

L
E
T
H
A
L

W
E
A
P
O
N

0/26

Option B: The Alphabet of Dangerous Hero-Osity

This is a hold-over from last year's challenge. Spell out A to Z using the character names of only dangerous heroes from books you read in the year of 2013. You can use a minor or side character or even a villain. They must be bad/edgy/dangerous. You will have 26 different books when you are done. For the letter X, you can use any name that has X anywhere in its spelling. You can use the first, middle, last or an official nickname for the character used in the book.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

0/26

Option C: Paranormal Dangerous Heroes

Read ten to thirteen books with a main character/hero who is in each of the below categories. One book per category. The books can be from romance, urban fantasy, fantasy, or science fiction novels.

Completed: X/13

1. Angel or demon
2.god or demi-god
3.Werewolf or shapeshifter
4. Sorcerer/Wizard/Magician or Magic-User
5.Immortal Warrior
6.Alien/From Another World or Dimension
7.Vampire
9.Genetically-Enhanced or altered hero (powers are not magical but scientific)
10.Time-Traveler
11.Superhero (caped crimefighter with powers)
Bonus: Psychic/Telekinetic Abilities (doesn’t fit in above categories)
Bonus: Other (doesn’t fit into above categories)

Option D: Dangerous Hero World-Tour

This is a hold-over from last year's challenge. Compile a list of fifty heroes from fifty different books that take place in fifty different locations. You may use a country more than once. You may not use a United State of America more than once or a city more than once for any country. For example: You can use two locations in France, but you cannot use Paris or New York state again after the first time (one city and one state per book). You can use all the fifty states of the US once. Which means that if you stay with only US set books, you can still have the potential for 50 different books, since there are 50 different states. So if you have a book set in one state, you're done with that state for the rest of the challenge. It might require a bit of research if you aren't familiar with the cities in the US, but you can use this website if you want to find out.

Completed: X/50

Option E: Dangerous Hero Scavenger Hunt

This is a holdover from last year’s challenge. Read at least fifteen but no more than twenty different books with different dangerous heroes. Refer to the list below for ideas. If you come with another type, just list what kind you think he is and make sure he doesn’t fall into any of these categories.

Completed: X/19

1.Assassin (Contract Killer)
2.Modern Soldier (includes Mercenary)
3.Seducer/Heartbreaker/Womanizer
4.Stalkerific Hero
5.Tortured Hero (can be any of the above but major classification is tortured)
6.Criminal (Thief/Gangster/Illegal Enterprises)
7.Law Enforcement
8.Gunslinger/Outlaw/Pirate
9.Historical Warrior (Highlander/Knight/Native Warrior/Viking/Warlord/Soldier)
10.Spy
11.White Collar Raider (Business/Legal)
12.Blue Collar (Rough around the edges)
13.Fireman/Dangerous Job-holder
14.Paranormally Lethal/Immortal Warriors (Vampire, Demon, Werewolf, Gods, Shifter, Dark Fae)
15.Cowboy/Rancher/Rodeo
16.Bodyguards/Protectors
17.Sportsmen/Athletes/Bikers
18.Rakehell/Rake
19.Emperors/Kings/Dukes/Other Powerful and Titled Heroes

Option F: The History of Romance.

For this challenge, read one historical romance book for each historical period listed, in any setting around the world (from Pre-History to 1969). One book per historical period. The books don’t have to have dangerous hero books for this part of the Mega-Challenge.

Levels:
1. History Buff (Read books from 15-20 time periods)

Completed: X/20

1. Pre-History/Ancient Historical Period (BC Period-1 AD)
2. Roman Empire-Early AD period (1 AD-500 AD)
3. Dark Ages (500-1066 AD) aka Viking Period
4. Medieval Period (1067-1485 AD)
5. Renaissance Period (1485-1660 AD)
6. Elizabethan Period (1558-1603)
7. Jacobean Period (1603-1625)
8. Baroque Period (1625-1714)
9. Georgian Period (1714-1830) Includes Napoleonic Era
10. Hanoverian Period (1830-1837)
11. Victorian Era (1837-1901)
12. Edwardian Era (1901-1910)
13. Late Belle Epoque Period (1911-1914)
14. World War I Period (1914-1918) (you can include any book from 1918-1919 here)
15. Roaring Twenties (1920-1929)
16. 1930s (Including Great Depression) (1930-1939)
17. World War II (1939-1945)
18. 1940s (1940-1949)
19. 1950s (1950-1959)
20. 1960s (1960-1969)

Option G: Dangerous Hero Icons:

For this challenge, read a book that represents one of the below dangerous hero/villain icons. You can choose a book that you feel represents that icon in a satisfactory manner. Read as many as 13 books, one for each character, or as few as five.

Completed: X/13

A. Jason Bourne: A genetically enhanced, super-soldier (may or may not be amnesiac or active duty soldier)
B. Merlin: A powerful wizard or sorcerer
C. James Bond: International spy who loves the ladies
D. Sam or Dean Winchester: Tortured monster hunter
E. Dracula: Powerful vampire
F. Batman: Caped/masked crimefighter
G. Sherlock Holmes: Super-detective (incomparable deductive abilities)
H. Doctor Who: Scientific genius (can be a human or alien)
I. King Arthur: Benevolent, idealistic royal ruler
J. The Scarlet Pimpernel: Crimefighter/do-gooder by night, disguised as nerd, geek, or fop during the day
K. Wyatt Earp: Historical lawman
L. Indiana Jones: Globe-trotting adventurer/treasure-hunter
M. Van Helsing (from movie): Monster-hunter

message 19: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Danielle’s DHASG 2013 Yearly Series Strikethrough Challenge

Duration: 1 January to 31 December, 2012
Completed: x/

Starter Series:

1. Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia (read books 1-2)
a. Monster Hunter International

Continuing Series:

2. Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs (read books 4-6):
a. Bone Crossed
b. Silver Borne
c. River Marked

3. I-Team by Pamela Clare (read books 2-3/4)
a. Unlawful Contact
b. Hard Evidence
c. Naked Edge

4. Joe Pike by Robert Crais (read books 2-3/4)
a. The First Rule
b. The Sentry
c. Taken

5. Psy/Changeling by Nalini Singh (read books 9-11)
a. Play of Passion
b. Kiss of Snow
c. Tangle of Need

Finishing Series:

6. Blades of the Rose series by Zoe Archer (read books 2-4)
a. Scoundrel
b. Rebel
c. Stranger

7. The Fallen series by Kristina Douglas (read books 3-4)
a. Rebel
b. Warrior

message 20: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Danielle's WLLK Back to School Challenge
Duration: September 1- June 30th
Goal: Read 36 books divided into various 'subjects' or 'grade-levels'.
Update: 1/1/13
Completed: 12/36

I. Pre-School: Read an author for the first time or the first book in a series, or a young adult or middle grade/juvenile book.
1. The Redemption of Lord Rawlings by Rachel Van Dyken (New Author) 11/9
2. The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (YA) 10/26
3. The Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammon (New Author) 10/24
4. Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride 10/21 (YA)

II. Kindergarten: Revisit a series you are behind on or read the second book in a series.

III. History Class: Read a historical romance or historical fiction novel.
1. The Husband List by Janet Evanovich and Dorien Kelly 11/26
2. Devil's Kiss by Zoe Archer 12/03

IV. Music Class: Listen to an audiobook of any kind.
1. The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel 12/21
2. Lie by Moonlight by Amanda Quick 12/03
3. Mere Christianity by CS Lewis 9/15

V. Physical Education: Read an action adventure, or a book with a good level of action from any genre.
1. An Island Between Shores by Graham Wilson 10/10
2. The Affair by Lee Child 10/10

VI.Art Class: Read a paranormal romance, horror, or fantasy novel.
1. The Folded World by Cathrynne M. Valente 11/2 (fantasy)

message 21: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Danielle's WLLK All Things Winter Challenge 2012-2013
Duration: December 21st- March 20th
Goal: Read 12 books with the winter theme. This can be anything from the book being set during winter or winter weather, a winter-themed cover, or even characters or titles that bring to mind the season of winter.
Update: 1/1/12
Complete: 1/12

1. Snowbound Seduction by Helen Brooks 12/31

message 22: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Jan 16, 2013 12:01AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Danielle's UF The 2013 Books to Movies Yearly Challenge

Welcome to the group’s first yearly challenge!

I think we can agree that the book is almost always better than the movie. But what’s even better than the book? A challenge based on those books-turned-movies!

Listed below are twenty books (urban fantasy, science fiction, and fantasy) that have been made into movies (some more than once). You have the option of reading the book itself or reading a different book that fulfills one of the alternate suggestions. I have not read all of these books or seen all of these movies, so I apologize if the clues make no sense to folks who are familiar with the stories.

Feel free to use these books for any other challenges you may be doing.
Rereads are fine as long as you reread the entire book. No skimming!
You may post as you go and change your list at any time.

You have from January 1, 2013 through December 31, 2013 to complete the challenge.

Level: Large Popcorn with Extra Butter: all 20 books

Update:

1. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll ~ Read the Book –OR- any book in which a character is transported from their own world to another –OR- any book in which the main character is under the age of 18

2. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis ~ Read any book in the series –OR- any book that includes sibling characters –OR- any book with talking animals

3. Contact by Carl Sagan ~ Read the book –OR- any book with a scientist or mathematician as a primary character –OR- any book in which characters come into contact with, or attempt to contact, a previously unknown race of beings

4. Dracula by Bram Stoker ~ Read the book –OR- any book in which a primary character is a vampire -OR- a book including an insane character

5. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury ~ Read the book –OR- any book with fire depicted on the cover –OR- read a book from this list of Top 100 Banned/Challenged Books: 2000-2009

6. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley ~ Read the book –OR- any book including a mad scientist/doctor –OR- any book involving dead creatures that are reanimated (zombies, revenants, some vampires, etc)

7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling ~ Read any book in the series –OR- any book in which the main characters spend time at school (magic or mundane) –OR- any book set in England

8. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams ~ Read the book –OR- read any book that involves aliens –OR- any humorous book that makes you laugh

9. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein ~ Read the book –OR- any fantasy book – OR- any book by an author who uses initials instead of their first name

10. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins ~ Read any book in the trilogy –OR- a book in which a bow and arrow is the weapon of choice –OR- a book that is part of any other trilogy: The Hunger Games 1/11

11. Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice ~ Read the book –OR- any book set in New Orleans –OR- any book in which one character plots the murder of another

12. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton ~ Read the book –OR- any book in which the characters visit a theme park or amusement park -OR- any sci-fi book

13. 1984 by George Orwell ~ Read the book –OR- any dystopian novel –OR- any book involving mind control

14. The Princess Bride by William Goldman ~ Read the book –OR- any book involving swordplay –OR- a book with a pirate character (space pirates count, too!)

15. A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs ~ Read the book –OR- any book in which the main character is a member of the military or a veteran –OR- any book set prior to 1900

16. Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein ~ Read the book –OR- any book that involves space travel –OR- any book from this list of Hugo Awards for Best Novel (You may read a winner or a nominee)

17. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells ~ Read the book –OR- any book that involves time travel –OR- any steampunk novel

18. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Vern ~ Read the book –OR- a book that takes place, at least in part, on a boat or submarine –OR- a book (fiction or nonfiction) that includes water dwelling creatures (mermaids, selkies, Jacques Cousteau, etc)

19. Twilight by Stephanie Meyer ~ Read any book in the series –OR- any book set in the Pacific Northwest (U.S. states of Oregon, Washington, and the Canadian province of British Columbia) -OR- any Young Adult novel

20. 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke ~ Read the book –OR- any book that takes place in outer space –OR- any book that features Artificial Intelligence (computers or robots able to think for themselves)

Bonus books:

You may read these books in addition to the 20 above OR you may use them as alternates for any book above. Each alternate book may be used only once, so that’s two possible substitutions.

For example, if you’re stuck on #17 and just can’t come up with a book you want to read for that category, you can fulfill one of the bonus books and use it in place of #17. Just make sure to let me know you’re substituting.

#1: I am very excited about the release of the film Ender’s Game in November of 2013, so I just had to include it as a bonus book.
To earn this bonus book, either read the book Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card –OR- any book in which people are pawns in someone’s game –OR- any book with an ending the took you completely by surprise.

#2: Each player may pick any one book-turned-movie of their choice that is not on the above list and use it as a substitution. As with all of the books above, you may either read the book itself –OR- another book for which you can make a connection to the book/movie. Just make sure to explain your logic if you go with this second option.

message 23: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Challenges Overload 50 States Plus Yearly Challenge

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Bonus:
Pick 1 or more of the unincorporated territories or a district:

Washington D.C.
Guam
Northern Mariana Islands
Puerto Rico
United States Virgin Islands
American Samoa
Wake Island
Midway Islands
Johnston Atoll
Baker Island
Howland Island
Jarvis Island
Kingman Reef

Completed: X/51
Update:

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Challenge Overload 2013 World/Country/State/County/City Challenge

Read a book that has a World, Country, State, County or City that will fill in the alphabet below. They don't even have to exist in our dimension or time.

Update:

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z

message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments I'm in at the Kick Elite level. I will read 20 books series from this tentative series list

Danielle's Kick YEAR-LONG CHALLENGE: 100 Best PNR/UF Books of All Time!

1. Black Dagger Brotherhood, by J.R. Ward - Lover Awakened (#3), Dark Lover (#1), Lover Eternal (#2), Lover Revealed (#4), Lover Unbound (#5), Lover Avenged (#7), Lover Mine (#8)

3. Fever, by Karen Marie Moning - Darkfever (#1), Shadowfever (#5), Bloodfever (#2), Dreamfever (#4), Faefever (#3)

4. Mercy Thompson, by Patricia Briggs - Moon Called (#1), Silver Borne (#5), Bone Crossed (#4)

8. Kate Daniels, by Ilona Andrews - Magic Bites (#1), Magic Bleeds (#4), Magic Slays (#5), Magic Burns (#2), Magic Strikes (#3)

10. Guild Hunter, by Nalini Singh - Angels' Blood (#1), Archangel's Kiss (#2), Archangel's Consort (#3), Archangel's Blade (#4), Archangel's Storm (#5)

11. Chicagoland Vampires, by Chloe Neill - Some Girls Bite (#1), Friday Night Bites (#2), Drink Deep (#5), Biting Cold (#6)

12. Dark-Hunter, by Sherrilyn Kenyon - Fantasy Lover (#1), Acheron (#12), Night Pleasures (#2), Dance with the Devil (#4), Seize the Night (#7)

13. The Hollows, by Kim Harrison - Dead Witch Walking (#1), For a Few Demons More (#5), A Perfect Blood (#10), Pale Demon (#9)

14. Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer - Twilight (#1), Breaking Dawn (#4), Eclipse (#3), New Moon (#2)

15. Psy-Changeling, by Nalini Singh - Slave to Sensation (#1), Branded by Fire (#6), Kiss of Snow (#10), Play of Passion (#9), Blaze of Memory (#7)

16. Charley Davidson, by Darynda Jones - First Grave on the Right (#1), Third Grave Dead Ahead (#2), Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (#4)

17. Midnight Breed, by Lara Adrian - Kiss of Midnight (#1), Midnight Awakening (#3), Deeper Than Midnight (#9), Ashes of Midnight (#6),

18. Alpha & Omega, by Patricia Briggs - Fair Game (#3)

20. Lords of the Underworld, by Gena Showalter - The Darkest Kiss (#2), The Darkest Night (#1), The Darkest Lie (#6), The Darkest Passion (#5), The Darkest Surrender (#8), The Darkest Seduction (#9), The Darkest Secret (#7)

21. Fallen Angels, by J.R. Ward - Covet (#1), Envy (#3), Crave (#2)

23. Women of the Underworld, by Kelley Armstrong - Bitten (#1), Dime Store Magic (#3), Spell Bound (#12), Haunted (#5)

25. Elder Races, by Thea Harrison - Dragon Bound (#1)

28. Penryn & the End of Days, by Susan Ee - Angelfall (#1)

30. Alex Craft, by Kaylana Price - Grave Witch (#1), Grave Dance (#2)

31. Highlander, by Karen Marie Moning - Beyond the Highland Mist (#1), The Dark Highlander (#5)

32. The League, by Sherrilyn Kenyon - Born of Night (#1), Born of Silence (#5)

34. Argeneau, by Lynsay Sands - A Quick Bite (#1), The Rogue Hunter (#10)

35. Cassandra Palmer, by Karen Chance - Touch the Dark (#1), Hunt the Moon (#5)

36. Lords of Deliverance, by Larissa Ione - Lethal Rider (#3)

38. Downside Ghosts, by Stacia Kane - Unholy Ghosts (#1), City of Ghosts (#3), Unholy Magic (#2), Chasing Magic (#5)

39. Angels of the Dark, by Gena Showalter - Wicked Nights (#1)

40. The Edge, by Ilona Andrews - On the Edge (#1), Fate's Edge (#3)

41. Aisling Grey: Guardian, by Katie MacAlister - You Slay Me (#1)

43. The Dragon Kin, by G.A. Aiken - How to Drive a Dragon Crazy (#1)

44. Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher - Storm Front (#1), Cold Days (#14), Blood Rites (#6), Changes (#12), White Night (#9)

45. Parasol Protectorate, by Gail Carriger - Soulless (#1)

48. Iron Druid Chronicles, by Kevin Hearne - Hounded (#1), Trapped (#5)

49. Naked Werewolf, by Molly Harper - How to Flirt with a Naked Werewolf (#1), The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf (#2)

50. Sentinel Wars, by Shannon K. Butcher - Living Nightmare (#4), Burning Alive (#1)

53. Rhiannon’s Law, by J.A. Saare - Dead, Undead, or Somewhere in Between (#1), The Renfield Syndrome (#2), The Ripple Effect (#3)

55. The Host, by Stephenie Meyer

56. World of the Lupi,by Eileen Wilks - Tempting Danger (#1)

61. Kara Gillian, by Diana Rowland - Mark of the Demon (#1), Sins of the Demon (#4)

63. Love at Stake, by Kerrelyn Sparks - Vampire Mine (#10)

64. Nightwalkers, by Jacquelyn Franks - Gideon (#2)

65. Elemental Assassin, by Jennifer Estep - Spider's Bite (#1), Tangled Threads (#4)

72. Arcadia Bell, by Jenn Bennett - Kindling the Moon (#1)

73. October Daye, by Seanan McGuire - Rosemary and Rue (#1)

74. Dorina Basarab, by Karen Chance - Death's Mistress (#2)

77. Hush, Hush, by Becca Fitzpatrick - Hush, Hush (#1), Silence (#3)

78. McKenzie Lewis, by Sandy Williams - The Shadow Reader (#1)

79. Silver Dragons, by Katie MacAlister - Playing With Fire (#1)

86. Wolves of Mercy Falls, by Maggie Stiefvater - Shiver (#1)

96. Cal Leandros, by Rob Thurman series

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments RRRC 2013 A-Z Book Challenge

Read 26 books which titles begin with the letters of the alphabet. You may ignore articles like A, An and The at the beginning of the title. For the letter "X", any book title with the letter X in it is acceptable.

Update: 1/14/13

Completed: 7/26

0/26

A
B-Beast by Pepper Pace 1/14
C-Calculated in Death by JD Robb 1/10
D-Dearest Traitor by Patricia Wilson 1/13
E
F
G
H-How to Entice an Earl by Manda Collins 1/7
I
J
K
L
M-Merlyn's Raven by Rose Vanden Eynden 1/3
N
O-Once Again a Bride by Jane Ashton 1/11
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W-Wren's Fantasy by Tracy Hewitt Meyer 1/4
X
Y
Z

message 27: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Challenges Overload 50 States Plus Yearly Challenge

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky-Beast by Pepper Pace 1/14
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Bonus:

Washington D.C.
Guam
Northern Mariana Islands
Puerto Rico
American Samoa
Wake Island
Midway Islands
Johnston Atoll
Baker Island
Howland Island
Jarvis Island
Kingman Reef

Completed: 1/51
Update: 1/14/13

message 28: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments 2013 A-Z Character Challenge (Male)

Read 26 books with male characters' names that start with the letters of the alphabet.

Entries can either be first name or last name of a major male character in the book.

Update: 1/16/13

Completed: 7/26

7/26

A
B
C-Christopher Jameson from Beast by Pepper Pace 1/13
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M-Christian Montieth from How to Entice an Earl by Manda Collins 1/29
N
O
P-Peeta Mellark from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 1/11
Q
R-Roarke from Calculated in Death by JD Robb 1/10
S-Steven Templeton from Dearest Traitor by Patricia Wilson 1/12
T
U-Uli Borshov from Beneath the Dark Ice by Greig Beck 1/15
V
W-Alec Wylde from Once Again a Bride by Jane Ashton 1/11
X
Y
Z

message 29: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Update: 2/20/13

Completed: 10/26

10/26

A-Arch from Journey of the Princess of Ice by LaVerne Thompson 2/4
B
D-Draakon Akgon from Dragon's Heart by LaVerne Thompson 2/11
E-Eduardo Cruz from To Love, Honor and Betray by Jennie Lucas 1/26
F
G
H-Captain Croggon Beauregard Hainey from Clementine by Cherie Priest 2/5
I
J
K
L-Joe Ledger from Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry 2/18
N
O
Q
T
V-Anton Volkov from My Mate's Embrace by Caryn Moya Block 2/5
X
Y-Yaya from Seal Team 666 by Weston Ochse 2/20
Z

message 30: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Update: 2/20/13

Completed: 13/26

13/26

A
E-Expecting the Boss's Baby by Leanne Banks 1/25
F
G-A Gentleman and a Rogue by Stephanie Burkhart 2/11
I
J-Journey of the Princess of Ice by LaVerne Thompson 2/11
K
L
N
P-Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry 2/18
Q
R
S-Surrendering All But His Heart by Melanie Milburne 1/24
T
U
V
X
Y-You and I, Me and You by MaryJanice Davidson 2/14
Z

message 31: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Mar 04, 2013 07:08PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Danielle's Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group 2013 Mega-Challenge

Duration: January 1-December 31, 2013
Update: 3/4/13

Option A: Spell Out Your Love!

For this Option, you can choose to spell out a dangerous hero-related phrase using only books with dangerous hero characters. You can use:
1. The first or last name of the author
2. The first letter of the book title (not including A, An, And, or The)
3. If you choose your own acronym and it contains the letter X, the word can have X anywhere in its spelling. Other letters much be used in the specified manner.
4. You can even use the hero’s first or last name, but only once.
Here are your choices (you can do however many you like throughout the year).

Spelling Choice:

7.WALKING TALKING LETHAL WEAPON (26 letters)

A-Alexa Grace, Deadly Deception 3/3
L-Ledger, Joe from Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry 2/18
K
I
N
G

T-Tomas, Lord Irvaine from Duty by Rachel Rossano 3/2
A-The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig 2/25
L-Lisa Scottoline, Don't Go 2/27
K
I-Iris Johansen, Taking Eve 2/25
N
G-Greig Beck, Beneath the Dark Ice 1/15

L
T-
H
A
L-Libba Bray, The Diviners 2/20

W-Will Robie from The Innocent by David Baldacci 3/1
E-
A-Akgon, Draakon from Dragon's Heart by LaVerne Thompson 2/11
P-
O-Ochse, Weston, Seal Team 666 2/19
N

13/26

Option B: The Alphabet of Dangerous Hero-Osity

This is a hold-over from last year's challenge. Spell out A to Z using the character names of only dangerous heroes from books you read in the year of 2013. You can use a minor or side character or even a villain. They must be bad/edgy/dangerous. You will have 26 different books when you are done. For the letter X, you can use any name that has X anywhere in its spelling. You can use the first, middle, last or an official nickname for the character used in the book.

A-Alex Hunter from Beneath the Dark Ice by Greig Beck 1/15
B
C-Christopher from Beast by Pepper Pace 1/13
D-Draakon from Dragon's Heart by LaVerne Thompson
E
F
G
H-Croggon Beauregard Hainey from Clementine by Cherie Priest 2/5
I-Lord Irvaine (Tomas) from Duty by Rachel Rossano 3/2
J-Jack Walker from Seal Team 666 by Weston Ochse 2/19
K-Kincaid, Riley from Play of Passion by Nalini Singh 1/16
L-Ledger, Joe from Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry 2/18
M-Myruddin from Merlyn's Raven by Rose Eynden Vanden 1/3
N
O
P
Q
R-Raven from King's Raven by Maggie Secara 2/3
S
T
U
V-Volkov, Anton from My Mate's Embrace by Karyn Moya Block 2/5
W-William from Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews 1/20
X
Y
Z-Zander, Lee from Taking Eve by Iris Johansen 2/25

13/26

Option C: Paranormal Dangerous Heroes

Read ten to thirteen books with a main character/hero who is in each of the below categories. One book per category. The books can be from romance, urban fantasy, fantasy, or science fiction novels.

Completed: 10/13

1. Angel or demon--Arch from Journey of the Princess of Ice by LaVerne Thompson 2/4
2.god or demi-god--Ryker from Chosen by Sable Grace 1/4
3.Werewolf or shapeshifter--Draakon from Dragon's Heart by LaVerne Thompson 2/11
4. Sorcerer/Wizard/Magician or Magic-User--Myruddin from Merlyn's Raven by Rose Eynden Vanden 1/3
5.Immortal Warrior--Wren's Fantasy by Tracy Hewitt Meyer 1/4
6.Alien/From Another World or Dimension
7.Vampire
8.Faerie--Chris from Foresight by Sherry D. Ficklin 2/22
9.Genetically-Enhanced or altered hero (powers are not magical but scientific)--Jericho from The Diviners by Libba Bray 2/20
10.Time-Traveler--Richard from A Gentleman and a Rogue by Stephanie Burkhart 2/11
11.Superhero (caped crimefighter with powers)
Bonus: Psychic/Telekinetic Abilities (doesn’t fit in above categories)
Bonus: Other (doesn’t fit into above categories)

Option D: Dangerous Hero World-Tour

This is a hold-over from last year's challenge. Compile a list of fifty heroes from fifty different books that take place in fifty different locations. You may use a country more than once. You may not use a United State of America more than once or a city more than once for any country. For example: You can use two locations in France, but you cannot use Paris or New York state again after the first time (one city and one state per book). You can use all the fifty states of the US once. Which means that if you stay with only US set books, you can still have the potential for 50 different books, since there are 50 different states. So if you have a book set in one state, you're done with that state for the rest of the challenge. It might require a bit of research if you aren't familiar with the cities in the US, but you can use this website if you want to find out.

Completed: 18/50

1. Anton Volkov from My Mate's Embrace by Caryn Moya Block. Location: Siberia, Russian Federation 2/5
2. Captain Croggon Beauregard Hainey from Clementine by Cherie Priest. Location: Kansas City, Missouri 2/5
3. Jack Walker from Team 666 by Weston Ochse. Location: Myanmar. 2/19
4. Joe Ledger from Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry. Location: Baltimore, Maryland. 2/18.
5. Will Robie from The Innocent by David Baldacci. Location: Morocco. 3/1
6. Draakar Akgon from Dragon's Heart by LaVerne Thompson. Location: Akgon (Mythical). 2/11.
7. Arch from Journey of the Princess of Ice by LaVerne Thompson. Location: Hell (Mythical). 2/2.
8. Jericho Jones from The Diviners by Libba Bray. Location: New York City. 2/20.
9. William, Lord Sandine from Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews. Location: The Weird (Mythical). 1/20.
10.Riley Kincaid from Play of Passion by Nalini Singh. Location: Futuristic San Francisco. 1/16
11.Alex Hunter from Beneath the Dark Ice by Greig Beck. Location: Antarctica. 1/15
12.Christopher from Beast by Pepper Pace. 1/13
13.Ryker from Chosen by Sable Grace. Location: Olympus (mythical). 1/4
14.Tomas, Lord Irvaine by Rachel Rossano. Location: Rhynan (mythical). 3/2
15. Will Robie from The Innocent by David Baldacci. Location: Washington DC. 3/1
16. Frederick Desborough from The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig. Location: Kenya, Africa. 2/25
17. Seth Caleb from Taking Eve by Iris Johansen. Location: San Juan, Puerto Rico. 2/25
18. Mike Scanlon from Don't Go by Lisa Scottoline. Location: Afghanistan. 2/27

Option E: Dangerous Hero Scavenger Hunt

This is a holdover from last year’s challenge. Read at least fifteen but no more than twenty different books with different dangerous heroes. Refer to the list below for ideas. If you come with another type, just list what kind you think he is and make sure he doesn’t fall into any of these categories.

Completed: X/19

1.Assassin (Contract Killer)--Will Robie from The Innocent by David Baldacci 3/1
2.Modern Soldier (includes Mercenary)--Jack Walker from Seal Team 666 by Weston Ochse 2/19
3.Seducer/Heartbreaker/Womanizer--Lane Hansen from Deadly Deception by Alexa Grace 3/3
4.Stalkerific Hero--Eduardo Cruz from To Love, Honor and Betray by Jennie Lucas 1/26
5.Tortured Hero (can be any of the above but major classification is tortured)
6.Criminal (Thief/Gangster/Illegal Enterprises)
7.Law Enforcement--Joe Ledger from Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry 2/18
8.Gunslinger/Outlaw/Pirate
9.Historical Warrior (Highlander/Knight/Native Warrior/Viking/Warlord/Soldier)--Tomas, Lord Irvaine from Duty by Rachel Rossano 3/2
10.Spy
11.White Collar Raider (Business/Legal)
12.Blue Collar (Rough around the edges)
13.Fireman/Dangerous Job-holder
14.Paranormally Lethal/Immortal Warriors (Vampire, Demon, Werewolf, Gods, Shifter, Dark Fae)--Wren's Fantasy by Tracy Hewitt Meyer 1/4
15.Cowboy/Rancher/Rodeo
16.Bodyguards/Protectors
17.Sportsmen/Athletes/Bikers
18.Rakehell/Rake
19.Emperors/Kings/Dukes/Other Powerful and Titled Heroes

Option F: The History of Romance.

For this challenge, read one historical romance book for each historical period listed, in any setting around the world (from Pre-History to 1969). One book per historical period. The books don’t have to have dangerous hero books for this part of the Mega-Challenge.

Levels:
1. History Buff (Read books from 15-20 time periods)

Completed: 4/20

1. Pre-History/Ancient Historical Period (BC Period-1 AD)
2. Roman Empire-Early AD period (1 AD-500 AD)
3. Dark Ages (500-1066 AD) aka Viking Period
4. Medieval Period (1067-1485 AD)
5. Renaissance Period (1485-1660 AD)
6. Elizabethan Period (1558-1603)
7. Jacobean Period (1603-1625)
8. Baroque Period (1625-1714)
9. Georgian Period (1714-1830) Includes Napoleonic Era--The Toymaker by Kay Springsteen 2/4
10. Hanoverian Period (1830-1837)
11. Victorian Era (1837-1901)
12. Edwardian Era (1901-1910)
13. Late Belle Epoque Period (1911-1914)
14. World War I Period (1914-1918) (you can include any book from 1918-1919 here)----The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig 2/25
15. Roaring Twenties (1920-1929)--The Diviners by Libba Bray
16. 1930s (Including Great Depression) (1930-1939)
17. World War II (1939-1945)
18. 1940s (1940-1949)
19. 1950s (1950-1959)
20. 1960s (1960-1969)

Option G: Dangerous Hero Icons:

For this challenge, read a book that represents one of the below dangerous hero/villain icons. You can choose a book that you feel represents that icon in a satisfactory manner. Read as many as 13 books, one for each character, or as few as five.

Completed: 1/13

A. Jason Bourne: A genetically enhanced, super-soldier (may or may not be amnesiac or active duty soldier)
B. Merlin: A powerful wizard or sorcerer--Merlyn's Raven by Rose Eynden Vanden 1/3
C. James Bond: International spy who loves the ladies
D. Sam or Dean Winchester: Tortured monster hunter
E. Dracula: Powerful vampire
F. Batman: Caped/masked crimefighter
G. Sherlock Holmes: Super-detective (incomparable deductive abilities)
H. Doctor Who: Scientific genius (can be a human or alien)
I. King Arthur: Benevolent, idealistic royal ruler
J. The Scarlet Pimpernel: Crimefighter/do-gooder by night, disguised as nerd, geek, or fop during the day
K. Wyatt Earp: Historical lawman
L. Indiana Jones: Globe-trotting adventurer/treasure-hunter
M. Van Helsing (from movie): Monster-hunter

message 32: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Danielle's Cover to Cover Challenge
Goal: Read 230 books in 2013

January:

1. Merlyn's Raven by Rose Eyden Vanden 1/3
2. Chosen by Sable Grace 1/4
3. Wren's Fantasy by Tracy Hewitt Meyer 1/4
4. How to Entice an Earl by Manda Collins 1/7
5. Calculated in Death by JD Robb 1/10
6. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 1/11
7. Once Again a Bride by Jane Ashton 1/11
8. Dearest Traitor by Patricia Wilson 1/12
9. Beast by Pepper Pace 1/13
10. Beneath the Dark Ice by Greig Beck 1/15
11. Play of Passion by Nalini Singh 1/16
12. Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews 1/20
13. A Spanish Birthright by Cathy Williams 1/24
14. Surrendering All But His Heart by Melanie Milburne 1/24
15. Expecting the Boss's Baby by Leanne Banks 1/25
16. Claiming His Wedding Night by Lee Wilkinson 1/25
17. Bough for the Marriage Bed by Melanie Milburne 1/26
18. To Love, Honor and Betray by Jennie Lucas 1/26
19. Blue Remembered Earth by Alastair Reynolds 1/30
20. Down and Out in Beverly Heels by Kathryn Leigh Scott 1/31

February:

21. King's Raven by Maggie Secara 2/3
22. Journey of the Princess of Ice by LaVerne Thompson 2/4
23. The Toymaker by Kay Springsteen 2/4
24. Clementine by Cherie Priest 2/5
25. My Mate's Embrace by Caryn Moya Block 2/5
26. A Gentleman and a Rogue by Stephanie Burkhart 2/11
27. Dragon's Heart by LaVerne Thompson 2/11
28. You and I, Me and You by MaryJanice Davidson 2/14
29. Searching Issues by Nicky Gumbel 2/18
30. Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry 2/18
31. Seal Team 666 by Weston Ochse 2/19
32. The Diviners by Libba Bray 2/20
33. Foresight by Sherry D. Ficklin 2/22
34. Taking Eve by Iris Johansen 2/25
35. The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig 2/25
36. Don't Go by Lisa Scottoline 2/27

March:

37. The Innocent by David Baldacci 3/1
38. Duty by Rachel Rossano 3/2
39. Deadly Deception by Alexa Grace 3/3

message 33: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California--Seal Team 666 by Weston Ochse 2/19
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana--Deadly Deception by Alexa Grace 3/3
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky-Beast by Pepper Pace 1/14
Louisiana--Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews 1/20
Maine
Maryland-Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry 2/18
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota--You and I, Me and You by MaryJanice Davidson 2/14
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York--The Diviners by Libba Bray 2/20
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Bonus:

Washington D.C.--The Innocent by David Baldacci 3/1
Guam
Northern Mariana Islands
Puerto Rico--Taking Eve by Iris Johansen 2/27
American Samoa
Wake Island
Midway Islands
Johnston Atoll
Baker Island
Howland Island
Jarvis Island
Kingman Reef

Completed: 8/51

message 34: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Finally, it's SPRINGTIME!!!
Get ready for our READ THE SEASON SPRING CHALLENGE.

Read-the-Season Challenge follows the same format as our popular Read-the-Month Challenge, except that you have a whole season to finish your books.

To make it more interesting, we will be using different languages each year for our Read-the-Season and Read-the-Month challenges. For 2013, we will be using Dutch.

Here is the timeline:

WINTER (Winter) - December 21, 2012 - March 19, 2013
LENTE (Spring) - March 20, 2013 - June 20, 2013
ZOMER (Summer) - June 21, 2013 - September 21, 2013
HERFST (Autumn) - September 22, 2013 - December 20, 2013

READ-THE-SEASON SPRING CHALLENGE: L-E-N-T-E
Duration: March 20, 2013 - June 20, 2013

Rules are simple. Using the word LENTE, pick a book title or author (first or last name) that begins with the letters in the chosen season. Books must be started and finished within the season duration.

Happy Spring Reading!!

message 35: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Mar 18, 2013 09:45PM) (new)

Update: 3/18/13

Completed: 11/26

10/26

B
F
G
I
J
K
N
O
Q
T
X-
Z-Lee Zander from Taking Eve by Iris Johansen 2/20

message 36: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments READ-THE-SEASON Winter CHALLENGE: W-I-N-T-E-R
Duration:December 21, 2012 - March 19, 2013

Rules are simple. Using the word WINTER, pick a book title or author (first or last name) that begins with the letters in the chosen season.

Completed: 6/6 DONE!!!

W-Wren's Fantasy by Tracey Hewitt Meyer 1/4
I-Ironskin by Tina Connolly 3/18
N-Nassise, Joseph--By the Blood of Heroes 3/9
T-The Toymaker by Kay Springsteen 2/4
R-Robb, JD--Calculated in Death 1/10

message 37: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Danielle's Yearly BDB Challenge:

It's almost 2013 and so it's time for a new yearly challenge!
In this challenge, you’re required to read 52 books (one book for each week of the year). Of course, reading more than 52 books is also allowed.

The challenge is:

Read books that spell out: MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE BOOK IN THE BDB SERIES JUST HAS GOT TO BE [+ book abbreviation*]...

That sentence plus the book abbreviation would make it a total of 52-54 characters. But of course, you're allowed to write full titles and/or use multiple titles.

For each letter you need to find:
- a book with a title that starts with this letter (disregarding all the articles: a, an, the... )
- or a book by an author whose first or last name starts with this letter
- or a book with a character whose first or last name starts with this letter

Duration: January 1st- December 31st, 2013
Completed: 36/59

M-Meyer, Tracy Hewitt--Wren's Fantasy 1/4

A-The Ashford Affair by Lauren Willig 2/25
B-Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews 1/20
S-Samson, Vidya--Bras, Boys and Blunders by Vidya Samson 3/14
O
L-LaVerne Thompson--Journey of the Princess of Ice 2/14
U
T-Taking Eve by Iris Johansen 2/25
E

F
A-Alexa Grace--Deadly Deception 3/3
V-Vanden, Rose Eynden--Merlin's Raven 1/3
O
R
I-Ironskin by Tina Connolly 3/18
T
E

B-Beast by Pepper Pace 1/13
O
O
K-Kathryn Leigh Scott--Down and Out in Beverly Heels 2/28

I
N-Nassise, Joseph--By the Blood of Heroes 3/9

T
E

B-Beneath the Dark Ice by Greig Beck 1/15
D-Duty by Rachel Rossano 3/2
B-Bray, Libba--The Diviners 2/20

S-Sherry D. Ficklin--Foresight 2/22
E
R-Ruthless Magnate, Convenient Wife by Lynne Graham 3/8
I-The Innocent by David Baldacci 3/1
E
S-Sullivan, Michael--The Crown Conspiracy 3/6

J
U
S-Scottoline, Lisa--Don't Go 2/27
T

H-The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 1/11
A-Among Others by Jo Walton 3/11
S-Seal Team 666 by Weston Ochse 2/19

G-Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers 3/13
T-To Love, Honor and Betray by Jennie Lucas 1/26

T
O

B-Bought for the Marriage Bed by Melanie Milburne 1/26
E

L-LaVerne Thompson--Dragon's Heart 2/11
O
V
E
R-Robb, JD--Calculated in Death 1/10

M-Maberry, Jonathan--Patient Zero 2/18
I-The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow 3/9
N-Nalini Singh--Play of Passion 1/16

message 38: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Mar 18, 2013 10:35PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Urban Fantasy Challenge # 12: January 1, 2013 to March 31, 2013

All formats are accepted (print, ebooks, audiobooks). Rereads are fine as long as you actually reread the entire book and not just skim it.

Please note that the Optional Book categories are just that. Optional. You may choose to do none of them or all of them depending on how big of a challenge you want.

Completed: 8/9

Basic Categories
1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow 2/18
2. An Urban Fantasy Title with an animal on the cover:
3. An Urban Fantasy Title with a weapon on the cover: Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews 1/20
.4. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) : Dragon's Heart by LaVerne Thompson 2/11

5. Cover Hunt: In honor of Valentine’s Day and St. Patrick’s Day read a book with any of the following: a predominantly red cover, a predominantly green cover, a heart on the cover, candy or chocolate on the cover, shamrocks or leprechauns on the cover.--King's Raven by Maggie Secara 2/3
6. January 13 is International Skeptics Day: Read a book in which a character becomes aware of the supernatural world they never knew existed (For example, your average human suddenly discovers that vampires exist)--Foresight by Sherry D. Ficklin 2/22
7. February 3 is The Day the Music Died: Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper died in a plane crash on this date in 1959. Read a book in which a character is a musician (professional or just plays an instrument or sings for fun) or a character dies.--By the Blood of Heroes by Joseph Nassise 3/9
8. March 29 is Smoke and Mirrors Day: Read a book featuring a ‘magician’. Any magic user will do: witch, wizard, warlock, etc. Even a stage magician.--Merlyn's Raven by Rose Vanden Eynden 1/4
9. In With the New: Read any book by a new-to-you author or start a new-to-you series.--My Mate's Embrace by Caryn Moya Block 2/5

You may join the challenge up to the final day of March. If you get a late start it’s fine to back date with any books you started on January 1 or later.

message 39: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Danielle's WLLK All Things Spring Challenge
Goal: Celebrate spring by reading books that bring the season of Spring to mind in any way.
Read 16 books between March and June 20th.

Update:

Completed: X/16

message 40: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Completed: 9/9 DONE!!!

Basic Categories
1. Any Urban Fantasy Title: The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow 2/18
2. An Urban Fantasy Title with an animal on the cover: Six Gun Tarot by RS Belcher 3/20
3. An Urban Fantasy Title with a weapon on the cover: Bayou Moon by Ilona Andrews 1/20
.4. Any Fantasy OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF) : Dragon's Heart by LaVerne Thompson 2/11

5. Cover Hunt: In honor of Valentine’s Day and St. Patrick’s Day read a book with any of the following: a predominantly red cover, a predominantly green cover, a heart on the cover, candy or chocolate on the cover, shamrocks or leprechauns on the cover.--King's Raven by Maggie Secara 2/3
6. January 13 is International Skeptics Day: Read a book in which a character becomes aware of the supernatural world they never knew existed (For example, your average human suddenly discovers that vampires exist)--Foresight by Sherry D. Ficklin 2/22
7. February 3 is The Day the Music Died: Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Bopper died in a plane crash on this date in 1959. Read a book in which a character is a musician (professional or just plays an instrument or sings for fun) or a character dies.--By the Blood of Heroes by Joseph Nassise 3/9
9. In With the New: Read any book by a new-to-you author or start a new-to-you series.--My Mate's Embrace by Caryn Moya Block 2/5

message 41: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Danielle's Cover to Cover Challenge
Update: 4/5/13

January:

February:

March:

40. The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan 3/6
41. Ruthless Magnate, Convenient Wife by Lynne Graham 3/8
42. By the Blood of Heroes by Joseph Nassise 3/9
43. The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow 3/9
44. Among Others by Jo Walton 3/11
45. Grave Mercy by Robin LeFevers 3/13
46. Bras, Boys and Blunders by Vidya Samson 3/14
47. Ironskin by Tina Connolly 3/18
48. The Six-Gun Tarot by RS Belcher 3/20
49. The Black Book of Secrets by FE Higgins 3/21
50. Carbon Session 01: Alignment by Jason Berg and Christopher Cox 3/21
51. First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones 3/24
52. Invincible by Jack Campbell 3/27
53. Something Wicked by Lisa Jackson and Nancy Bush 3/29
54. Whisper's Edge by LuAnn McLane 3/30

message 42: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Challenge # 13: April 1, 2013 to June 30, 2013

Basic Categories
1. Any Urban Fantasy Title:
2. An Urban Fantasy Title in a new-to-you series:
3. An Urban Fantasy Title in which the main character has a pet (of any kind) or an animal side-kick:
4. Any Sci-Fi OR Paranormal Romance Title (not strictly UF):

5. Cover Hunt: Using April, May, and June Birth Month Flowers as inspiration (Sweet Pea, Lily of the Valley, Rose), read a book with any flower on the cover, a book with any plant life on the cover, or a book with a green cover.
6. April 23 is Take a Charge Day. Take Charge of your to-be-read pile by reading a book in a series you’ve already started.
7. May 26 is Sally Ride Day. Sally Ride was the first American woman to go into space. (Twenty years after the Soviet Union sent Valentina Tereshkova.) Read a book featuring a strong female protagonist.
8. June 6 is National Yo-Yo Day. You know that book that you keep going back and forth about whether you should read it or not? Or that book you keep setting aside to read others instead? Pick it up and read it already!
9. April Fool’s Day. In honor of April Fool’s Day read a book that makes you laugh, or a book with a character who acts like a fool, or a book with a foolish cover or title.

You may join the challenge up to the final day of June. If you get a late start it’s fine to back date with any books you started on April 1 or later.

message 43: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Update: 5/27/13

Completed: 19/26

10/26

B-
F-
G-
I-
J-
K-Killian from Ice Storm by Anne Stuart 5/18
N-Nick Buchanan from Heartbreaker by Julie Garwood 5/22
O-
Q-Victor Qobras from The Hunt for Atlantis by Andy McDermott 5/16
T
X-Xcor from Lover at Last by JR Ward 4/3
Z-Lee Zander from Taking Eve by Iris Johansen 2/20

message 44: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments READ-THE-SEASON SPRING CHALLENGE: L-E-N-T-E
Duration: March 20, 2013 - June 20, 2013

Rules are simple. Using the word LENTE, pick a book title or author (first or last name) that begins with the letters in the chosen season. Books must be started and finished within the season duration.

Completed: 3/5

L-Lover at Last by JR Ward 4/4
E-Erik Tavares, House of Corruption 4/15
N-
T
E-Elizabeth Peters, Crocodile on the Sandbank 5/19

message 45: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Completed: 18/26

/26

A-Among Others by Jo Walton 3/11
E
F-First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones 3/24
G-Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child 4/8
I-Invincible by Jack Campbell 3/27
J
K-The Kiss of a Viscount by Linda Rae Sande 4/2
L-Lover at Last by JR Ward 4/4
N
P-Passionate Enemy by Patricia Wilson 5/11
Q
R-River's Edge by Gem Sivad 4/1
S-Scoundrel by Zoe Archer 4/3
T-The Parts Dead by Max Gladstone 4/10
U
V
X
Z

message 46: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited May 27, 2013 11:29AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Danielle's WLLK Back to School Challenge
Duration: September 1- June 30th
Goal: Read 36 books divided into various 'subjects' or 'grade-levels'.
Completed: 36/36 DONE!!!

I. Pre-School: Read an author for the first time or the first book in a series, or a young adult or middle grade/juvenile book.

1. The Redemption of Lord Rawlings by Rachel Van Dyken (New Author) 11/9
2. The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (YA) 10/26
3. The Wolf's Hour by Robert McCammon (New Author) 10/24
4. Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride 10/21 (YA)
5. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo 5/13 (YA)
6. Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff 5/10 (YA)

II. Kindergarten: Revisit a series you are behind on or read the second book in a series.

1. Death, Taxes, and Hot-Pink Leg Warmers by Diane Kelly 4/23
2. Calculated in Death by JR Robb 1/10
3. Chosen by Sable Grace 1/4
4. Live and Let Love by Gina Robinson 12/8
5. Invincible by Jack Campbell 3/27
6. Play of Passion by Nalini Singh 1/16

III. History Class: Read a historical romance or historical fiction novel.

1. The Husband List by Janet Evanovich and Dorien Kelly 11/26
2. Devil's Kiss by Zoe Archer 12/03
3. Scoundrel by Zoe Archer 4/3
4. Once Again a Bride by Jane Ashton 1/11
5. Defiant by Pamela Clare 5/4
6. River's Edge by Gem Sivad 4/1

IV. Music Class: Listen to an audiobook of any kind.

1. The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel 12/21
2. Lie by Moonlight by Amanda Quick 12/03
3. Mere Christianity by CS Lewis 9/15
4. Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters 5/19
5. First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones 3/24
6. Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child 4/8

V. Physical Education: Read an action adventure, or a book with a good level of action from any genre.

1. An Island Between Shores by Graham Wilson 10/10
2. The Affair by Lee Child 10/10
3. The Hunt for Atlantis by Andy McDermott 5/16
4. The Hit by David Baldacci 5/26
5. Resurrectionist by James McGee 5/7
6. The Informationist by Taylor Stevens 4/29

VI.Art Class: Read a paranormal romance, horror, or fantasy novel.

1. The Folded World by Cathrynne M. Valente 11/2 (fantasy)
2. Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist 4/14
3. Six-Gun Tarot by RS Belcher 3/20
4. Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone 4/10
5. House of Corruption by Eric Tavares 4/15
6. Warrior by Kristina Douglas 4/29

message 47: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited May 27, 2013 11:43AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments Second Chance Challenges
**This challenge was originally created by Shelleyrae at Book'd Out**

Supporting local libraries is essential as closures and amalgamations become ever more frequent and this challenge is designed to encourage you to use their services in the next year. It should be easily combined with any other challenges you might be participating in for 2011 and if you don’t have access to a library you are also permitted to borrow from friends or family.

How it works:

* The challenge will run for 1 year from your start date

* Read a book that you have BORROWED each month. Books (including eBooks & Audiobooks) can be borrowed from the library, a friend or family member but must be borrowed, read and returned to the owner within the year. Choose a goal from the four options below:

Borrower Be: Borrow, read and return 12 books
Stacked: Borrow, read and return 24 books
Book Envy: Borrow, read and return 36 books
Library Lust: Borrow, read and return 48 books

* You can nominate your reads in advance or as you go. Feel free to combine this challenge with any other challenges you may be participating in!

Level: Borrower Be

Completed: 12/12 DONE!!!!

1. Clementine by Cherie Priest 2/5
2. Seal Team 666 by Weston Ochse 2/19
3. The Diviners by Libba Bray 2/20
4. The Innocent by David Baldacci 3/1
5. The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan 3/6
6. By the Blood of Heroes by Joseph Nassise 3/9
7. The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow 3/9
8. Among Others by Jo Walton 3/11
9. Grave Mercy Robin LaFevers 3/13
10. Ironskin by Tina Connolly 3/18
11. The Six-Gun Tarot by RS Belcher 3/20
12. The Black Book of Secrets by FE Higgins 3/21

message 48: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited May 27, 2013 12:27PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments 2013 A-Z Author Challenge

Read 26 books which authors' names (either first or last) begin with the letters of the alphabet. For the letter "X", any author with the letter X in his/her name is acceptable.

Update: 5/27

Completed: 23/26

A-Love and the Punk Rock Grrl by HK Alynn 4/30
B-The Diviners by Libba Bray 2/20
C-Clementine by Cherie Priest 2/5
D-The Innocent by David Baldacci 3/1
E-House of Corruption by Eric Tavares 4/15
F-Running from the Devil by Jamie Freveletti 4/27
G-River's Edge by Gem Sivad 4/1
H-The Black Book of Secrets by FE Higgins 3/21
I-Taking Eve by Iris Johansen 2/25
J-Heartbreaker by Julie Garwood 5/22
K-The Hammer and the Blade by Paul S. Kemp 4/20
L-The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow 3/9
M-Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry 2/18
N-The Blood of Heroes by Joseph Nassise 3/9
O-Seal Team 666 by Weston Ochse 2/19
P-Defiant by Pamela Clare 4/4
Q
R-Trick of the Light by Rob Thurman 5/24
S-The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan
T-The Informationist by Taylor Stevens 4/29
U
V-Bras, Boys and Blunders by Vidya Samson 3/14
W-Lover at Last by JR Ward 4/4
X-Deadly Deception by Alexa Grace 3/1
Y
Z-Scoundrel by Zoe Archer 4/3

message 49: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) (Gatadelafuente) | 3676 comments 2013 A-Z Character Challenge (Female)

Read 26 books with female characters' names that start with the letters of the alphabet.

Entries can either be first name or last name of a major female character in the book.

For the letter X, anywhere within the female character's name is fine.

Completed: 22/26

A-Alina from Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo 5/13
B-Brielle Solarius from Duty by Rachel Rossano 3/2
C-Charley Davidson from First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones 3/24
D-Daniella from Sleeping With the Enemy by Cat Devon 4/26
E-Emma Caldridge from Running From the Devil by Jamie Freveletti 4/27
F-Frankie Douglas from Deadly Deception by Alexa Grace 3/1
G-Julie Getty from The Innocent by David Baldacci 3/1
H
I-Trixa Iktomi from Trick of the Light by Rob Thurman 5/24
J-Jessica Reel from The Hit by David Baldacci 5/26
K-Lady Katherine Bourne from The Devil Duke Takes a Bride by Rachel Van Dyken 4/27
L-Laurant Madden from Heartbreaker by Julie Garwood 5/22
M-Mariko Oshiro from Daughter of the Sword by Steve Bein 4/18
N-
O-Orchid from Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child 4/8
P-Amelia Peabody from Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters 5/19
Q
R-Rebecca from Passionate Enemy by Patricia Wilson 5/11
S-Lady Sarah from Defiant by Pamela Clare 5/4
T-Tara Holloway from Death, Taxes and Hot-Pink Leg Warmers by Diane Kelly 4/23
U
V-Victoria from Warrior by Kristina Douglas 4/29
W-Tennyson Wells from Substitute Lover by Delores Goodrick Beggs 5/17
X-Xhex from Lover at Last by JR Ward 4/4
Y-Yuriko from Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff 5/10
Z

message 50: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Update: 6/1/13

January:

February:

March:

40. The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan 3/6
41. Ruthless Magnate, Convenient Wife by Lynne Graham 3/8
42. By the Blood of Heroes by Joseph Nassise 3/9
43. The Iron Wyrm Affair by Lilith Saintcrow 3/9
44. Among Others by Jo Walton 3/11
45. Grave Mercy by Robin LeFevers 3/13
46. Bras, Boys and Blunders by Vidya Samson 3/14
47. Ironskin by Tina Connolly 3/18
48. The Six-Gun Tarot by RS Belcher 3/20
49. The Black Book of Secrets by FE Higgins 3/21
50. Carbon Session 01: Alignment by Jason Berg and Christopher Cox 3/21
51. First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones 3/24
52. Invincible by Jack Campbell 3/27
53. Something Wicked by Lisa Jackson and Nancy Bush 3/29
54. Whisper's Edge by LuAnn McLane 3/30

April

55. River's Edge by Gem Sivad (4/1)
56. The Kiss of a Viscount by Linda Rae Sande (4/2)
57. Scoundrel by Zoe Archer (4/3)
58. Lover at Last by JR Ward (4/4)
59. A Willing Surrender by Robyn Donald (4/6)
60. Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (4/8)
61. Three Parts Dead by Max Gladstone (4/10)
62. Magician: Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist (4/13)
63. House of Corruption by Eric Tavares (4/15)
64. Daughter of the Sword by Steve Bein (4/18)
65. The Hammer and the Blade by Paul S. Kemp (4/20)
66. Death, Taxes and Hot-Pink Leg Warmers by Diane Kelly (4/23)
67. The Baby Game by James A. Thomas and Vidya Samson (4/24)
68. Charred by Kate Watterson (4/25)
69. Sleeping With the Entity by Cat Devon (4/26)
70. Running from the Devil by Jamie Freveletti (4/27)
71. The Devil Duke Takes a Bride by Rachel Van Dyken (4/29)
72. The Informationist by Taylor Stevens (4/29)
73. Warrior by Kristin Douglas (4/29)
74. Love and the Punk Rock Grrl (4/30)

May

75. Defiant by Pamela Clare 5/4
76. Devious by Mark Love 5/6
77. Resurrectionist by James McGee 5/7
78. Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff 5/10
79. Passionate Enemy by Patricia Wilson 5/11
80. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo 5/13
81. The Hunt for Atlantis by Andy McDermott 5/16
82. Substitute Lover by Delores Goodrick Beggs 5/17
83. Ice Storm by Anne Stuart 5/18