The Mortal Instruments discussion

City of Glass > cause Jace and Clary are so NOT related.

Comments (showing 1-50 of 147) (147 new)    post a comment »

Rees Okay friends, this was the original Prologue of City of Bones. But for some unfathomable reason, CC decided not to put this in the book. In the book it's from Clary's perspective but in this.. It's Jace. CC wanted to make him mysterious..
I mean.. he's as mysterious as mysterious can get.

Deleted Prologue

The marks on his skin told the story of his life. Jace Wayland had always been proud of them. Some of the other young people in the Clave didn't like the disfiguring black letters, didn't like the burning pain of the stele where it cut into the skin, didn't like the nightmares that came when runes too powerful were inked into the flesh of someone unready. Jace had no sympathy for them. It was their own fault they were not stronger.

He had always been strong. He'd had to be. Most boys got their first Marks when they were fifteen. Alec had been thirteen, and that was very young. Jace had been nine. His father had cut the marks into his skin with a stele made from carved ivory. The runes spelled out his true name, and other things besides. "Now you are a man," his father had said. That night Jace dreamed of cities made of gold and blood, of tall bone towers sharp as splinters. He was almost ten years old and had never seen a city.

That winter his father took him to Manhattan for the first time. The hard pavement was filthy, the buildings crowding too close together, but the lights were bright and beautiful. And the streets were full of monsters. Jace had only seen them before in his father's instructional manuals. Vampires in their finery, faces dead white as paper. Lycanthropes with their too-sharp teeth and their smell of wolf. Warlocks with their cat's-eyes and pointed ears, sometimes a forked tail protruding from the hem of an elegant velvet coat.

"Monsters," his father had said, with distaste. His mouth curled at the corner. "But they bleed as red as men do when you kill them."

"What about demons? Do they bleed red?"

"Some do. Some bleed thin blood like green poison, and some bleed silver or black. I have a scar here from a demon that bled acid the color of sapphires."

Jace gazed at his father's scar in wonder. "And have you killed many demons?"

"I have," said his father. "And some day, you will too. You were born to kill demons, Jace. It's in your bones."

It would be years later that Jace would see a demon for the first time, and by then his father had already been dead for several years. He pulled aside his shirt now and looked at the scar where that first demon had clawed him. Four parallel claw marks that ran from his breastbone to his shoulder, where his father had inked the runes that would make him fast and strong, and hide him from mundane eyes. Swift as the wind, strong as the earth, silent as the forest, invisible as water.

Jace thought of the girl in his dream, the one with the braided scarlet hair. In the dream, he had not been invisible to her. She had looked at him with more than awareness; there had been recognition in her eyes, as if he were familiar to her. But how could a human girl see through his glamour?

He had woken up shivering, cold as if his skin had been stripped
away. It was frightening to feel so vulnerable, more frightening than any demon. He would have to ask Hodge about runes for nightmare protection it in the morning. Perhaps there would be something about it in one of his books.

But there was no time now. There had been reports of dark activity in a nightclub downtown, human bodies found limp and drained as the sun came up. Jace shrugged on his jacket, checked his weaponry, ink-Marked hands skating lightly over cloth and metal. Marks that no human eye could see--and he was glad, thinking of the girl in his dream, the way she had looked at him, as if he were no different than she was. Stripped of their magic, the marks on his body were only marks, after all, of no more power than the scars on his wrists and chest, or the deep scar just over his heart where his father's killer had stabbed him when he was ten years old.

"Jace!"

The sound of his name startled him out of his reverie. They were calling him from the corridor, Alec and Isabelle, impatient, eager for the hunt and the kill. Sweeping thoughts of nightmares from his mind, Jace went to join them.

SO IF YOU MISSED MY POINT. THEY AREN'T RELATED COS...
"or the deep scar just over his heart where his father's killer had stabbed him when he was ten years old."
- Hmm. Sounds a bit like something Valentine would do.

AND...
OF COURSE!

"Jace thought of the girl in his dream, the one with the braided scarlet hair. In the dream, he had not been invisible to her. She had looked at him with more than awareness; there had been recognition in her eyes, as if he were familiar to her. But how could a human girl see through his glamour?"

- Who does that sound like to you. Let me not spell this out people.
1. scarlet hair
Need I say more?

LOL keep you's posted.

Panda (pandaink) | 84 comments i remember reading that on a web site and thinking the same thing. i always believed that they were not related but i am just so curious as to HOW they arnt ><;;

Cait☮ | 15 comments Panda wrote: "i remember reading that on a web site and thinking the same thing. i always believed that they were not related but i am just so curious as to HOW they arnt ><;;"

Seriously! i can't wait for that book!!

Rees OKAY, I CAN BARELY CONTAIN MYSELF RIGHT NOW...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE COG!
LIKE I HAVE IT, ON MY LAP RIGHT NOW!

THE BOOKSTORE RANG ME AND TOLD ME THEY HAD IT SO I PICKED IT UP.

EXCUSE ME...
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

OKAY.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Panda (pandaink) | 84 comments AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Rees AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Kami ♥  C. | 13 comments SO jace and Clary aren't related?

Panda (pandaink) | 84 comments we dont know that yet, but rees will be the frist to know and you better put out a super review!!

Kami ♥  C. | 13 comments ohhh, i dont think they are, i mean that would suck if they were.

Panda (pandaink) | 84 comments i dont think they are either! Cassandra would be the meanest author if it were true. girls all over the world you'd be commiting mass suicide

Rees I SHALL.

I WILL.

I SHALL POST IT UP AS A THREAD.. BUT BE WARNED.. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW, THEN DON'T READ.!

Kami ♥  C. | 13 comments SO u will know befre it comes out?

Amy | 10 comments Kami ♥ wrote: "SO u will know befre it comes out?"

She already had a book.

Panda (pandaink) | 84 comments I went into a book store today! and OMG!!! stacked behind the counter was CoG!!!! F*ck! i toucht and felt the book but the guy said he could not sell it to me no matter what cus he had to sign somthing.....grrrr

Rees is either very very lucky or is well connected to a book shop with no morals lol.

do i dare read her spoiler before tuesday????

Rees LOL
.. definitely no morals.
nah, cause I begged the manager over and over every single time I went there.. for whenever he gets his hands on it.. to ring me first thing.
SO yeah, he just handed it to me. I screamed on the phone.. like literally gasping. LOL
AND i was completely shocked.. cause I'm in Australia.. you guys get it before we do LOL

besides, you've read spoilers. just go ahead and read it.. EVIL LAUGH.. tempted?

message 16: by Panda (last edited Mar 19, 2009 11:44PM) (new)

Panda (pandaink) | 84 comments i'm in australia too!!!! that why my jaw is on the floor right now! ((thought you were in the usa ress tisk tisk)) and he still was an honest man! couldnt do anything! i went in the day you got yours and saw them there! i was like "i saw on line that some people have it now!"

book shop guy "who! cause thats a crime!"

me: "ah....people on the internet?"

BSG: "sorry i had to sign somthing yada yada ya and blah blah jail, cant give it to you yad ya"

me: "right...right...wouldnt want you to go to jail over this" *thinks for a moment while looking at the book over the counter longingly* "No i woulnt do that to you but...mind...if i just have a look at the cover?"

BSG: *thinks* "yes....i guess that okay"

then i took the book and open the last page and smiled.

and im going there tuseday morning to read buy it and read it. and we get to know before america does because of the time difference :D

Rees HOOORAY!!!!

I messaged you your questions.

Panda (pandaink) | 84 comments OMG!!!

i need the book...NOW

Rees what did you think of it?
Jace and Clary frolicking.... ;)

LOL
yes!! I'm rereading it again tonight.
So good.

Panda (pandaink) | 84 comments oh yes i was soooooooooooooooooooooooooo happy :D thank you for that info the *wink wink nudge nudge* moments , it's those moments that makes me scream in my seat!

hence i am very jealous and am trying to kill time only 4 days to go...i think

Rees BAHAHAHA *wink wink nudge nudge moments*
they were my passing out moments..

I'll re-read it tonight.. then I'll message you.. word for word that whole *wink wink nudge nudge* moment
LOL

Rees you could try counting the hours or minutes.. to kill time if you wish. LOL

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments Okay you guys I live in the US and I went to Cassie Clare and Libba Bray signing in Connecticut (and this waws on Feb. 25 ok) So i'm going to get my books signed by CC and guess what's on the table? YAH CITY OF GLASS!!!! Sitting there in it's hardcover glory, and I'm standing there hyperventalating *Holoy Gid COG is on the Table and I CAN'T HAVE IT YET!!!! That is so not right!!!!* So she signs by books and I ask if I can Look at it. So she says sure as long as I don't read the end. But she is no longer paying attention to me. So I read the end and have known the endsince Feb!

Rees Oooh Lucky.

But yeah, it's sooooo good.

I was re-reading the "bed" scene last night over and over again. And I found myself crying, Jace was so sweet.
But yeah, once everyone's got the book I'm sure they'll think the same.
Let me just say, it's one of Jace's finest hour. :)
I loved his response when Clary agreed to his idea. Priceless :)

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments Is that the scene that tha cookie was about? THe one where he comes into her room and they have that raelly intamate discussion? When Jace is in his mourning clothes? THat scene?

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments Can I just say that I love Jace. I love him so much

Rees Yeah, that's the scene ;)

I love him too. :)

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Ever since the cookie I have been dying to read that scene. Once again LUCKY you get the book early!!!!

Rees I know.
But just a few more days for you, sweet.
It's soooooooooooooo bloody good. Love it.

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments I keep looking at the calendar this is KILLIING ME!!!!
*Cries*

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments What are the *wink wink nudge nudge moments*? Were they amazing Jace and Clary Moments?

Rees Indeed ;)

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments *dies*
NO WAY!!!!! DEAR GOD OKAY THIS HAS OFFICIALLY KILLED ME!!!

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments Sorry to complian but..........
*sighs*

Rees DON'T DIE CARRIE! LOL

yeah some amazing moments were pretty hot! ;)

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments THANK GOD!!!!! I Need those moments to resurect me!!
lol ; P

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments REES!!!! WHAT THE HELL IS THIS ABOUT?!?!

"He landed on his back amid a tangled pile of clothes. "Isabelle," Simon protested weakly, "do you really think this is going to make you feel any better?"
"Trust me," Isabelle said, placing a hand on his chest, just over his unbeating heart. "I feel better already."
Do I even want to know?

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments You know what I'll wait. But if you tell me feel free to be vauge. : )

message 39: by ({Hannah}) (last edited Mar 22, 2009 06:09PM) (new)

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments
"There is no pretending," Jace said with absolute clarity. "I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then."
Heart melts falls out of chair and passes out. I LOVE JACE SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!

Rees Oh my gosh!
I was crying in that bit.It was soooooooooooooo good.

One more day for all of you's waiting for COG. LOL

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH my god I know!!! But I'll just look at that quote and feel better. But the Simon and Isabelle one......... I am so going to wonder about that one

Rees LOL
that was pretty unexpected. I was like -"WHAT?!" it came out of nowhere.. I was like.. gnaw SIMON'S GONNA GET SOME.
LOL

Rees Oh andthe one about Isabelle and Simon! hell yes you want to know carrie LOL

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments Tomorrow finally!!!!!!

Kami ♥  C. | 13 comments I no tomarrow! i cant wait!!!

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments I'm like so far beyond excited!!!
Jace and Clary once more!!!

Rees LOL calm down lovelies.

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments My mom is reading it RIGHT NOW!!! I'll get it when she's done. So in like an hour.
So excited!!!

Panda (pandaink) | 84 comments they are not related hahahaha

({Hannah}) (LettingtheInkDry) | 206 comments I know ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread