The Sword and Laser discussion

Joe Abercrombie
This topic is about Joe Abercrombie
Sword and Laser Video Show > S&L Video #19- Red Country, Revenge, & Joe Abercrombie

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Becca (Becca_Canote) | 101 comments Mod
Joe Abercrombie, author of The First Law trilogy, joins us to talk his fantasy western Red Country, letting go of fan favorite characters, and Logen Ninefinger's favorite whiskey.

http://youtu.be/0ohEf5TXMKE

Enjoy!

message 2: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1570 comments Brilliant episode. Thanks for asking my question. Abercrombie was cool. Loved how you broke the scales, Aaron, or was it a thermostat?

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 212 comments Gotta ask as I'm only in Before They Are Hanged. Am I going to get spoilers for future books w/ this interview? Already the "letting go of fan favorite characters" somewhat spoils something coming up. I'm that strange when it comes to wanting to know absolutely nothing.

message 4: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1570 comments I think you are pretty safe.

message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 212 comments David Sven wrote: "I think you are pretty safe."

Cool. Will watch it now. Thanks!

message 6: by P. Aaron (new)

P. Aaron Potter (PAaronPotter) | 585 comments David Sven wrote: "Brilliant episode. Thanks for asking my question. Abercrombie was cool. Loved how you broke the scales, Aaron, or was it a thermostat?"

That was an alignment-o-meter.

message 7: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1570 comments P. Aaron wrote: "David Sven wrote: "Brilliant episode. Thanks for asking my question. Abercrombie was cool. Loved how you broke the scales, Aaron, or was it a thermostat?"

That was an alignment-o-meter."

Oh, I thought we broke that in the other thread.

message 8: by Hanne (new)

Hanne (Hanne2) I like it! So glad you guys could get him on the show. And I'm not surprised Joe has such a weird sense of humou :)

Thanks for asking my question (even though it was weird to hear my name pronounced the American way, and being referred to as him, lol). It's very interesting to hear his take on it.

Oh, and busy reading Red Country right now actually!

message 9: by Josh (new)

Josh Morgan (bookbum9) | 9 comments great episode I put his books on my to read list. His books sound like something right up my alley.

message 10: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1570 comments Josh wrote: "great episode I put his books on my to read list. His books sound like something right up my alley."

The only thing I hate about the Abercrombie books is there are only six of them - and I'm on the last one :[

message 11: by Tamahome (last edited Dec 31, 2012 02:28PM) (new)

Tamahome | 4700 comments Tom isn't a good wing man. (says Mystery the pickup artist)

[image error]

message 12: by Jerome (new)

Jerome Lim (Yojimbo76) | 28 comments Not only did Joe answer my question, but he answered it with a whisky I drink! My geek levels just went through the roof! :D

message 13: by Casey (new)

Casey Hampton (caseyhampton) | 652 comments Fun show. I've yet to read Abercrombie, is it okay to start with The Heroes?

Fantastic Whiteboard Aaron — thank you! In all honesty, I admire your creativity.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim (foxkilo4) Better to start with the The First Law Trilogy.
They are set in the same world and The Hero's although standalone has a lot of stuff more easily understood if you read the Trilogy.

message 15: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 149 comments I'd say you could start with The Heroes if it appeals to you, I read his books completely out of sequence and it didn't really bother me and I'm still a huge fan. :D

To be fair I did begin with The Blade Itself, then I read The Heroes, then Best Served Cold, the final 2 in the First Law and now Red Country. :)

As he said in the interview, I think his standalone's are completely accessible without having read his trilogy.

message 16: by P. Aaron (last edited Dec 22, 2012 12:27PM) (new)

P. Aaron Potter (PAaronPotter) | 585 comments Casey wrote: "Fun show. I've yet to read Abercrombie, is it okay to start with The Heroes?
Fantastic Whiteboard Aaron — thank you! In all honesty, I admire your creativity."

Thanks guys! It's your enjoyment that makes it all worthwhile. That and my gigantic mansion with its solid gold swimming pool. If I'm honest, probably more that last one.

message 17: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Rob (robzak) | 3179 comments Mod
Hanne wrote: "even though it was weird to hear my name pronounced the American way, and being referred to as him, lol"

I laughed at that, but the rule of thumb I tend to follow on the internet is "when in doubt, assume they are a dude. So far that has never served me wrong. ^_^

Joe Ambercrombie has been on my radar for only a few months, but I really want to make time to check out his books.

Another great video and Aaron keeps outdoing himself.

message 18: by Jerome (new)

Jerome Lim (Yojimbo76) | 28 comments Casey wrote: "Fun show. I've yet to read Abercrombie, is it okay to start with The Heroes?

Fantastic Whiteboard Aaron — thank you! In all honesty, I admire your creativity."

The Heroes is an excellent book but as Jim says you'd be best off starting with The Fist Law trilogy because the Heroes picks up a few years after the Trilogy finishes off, with some of the same character, it'd be a shame to see how it ends before reading how it starts.

message 19: by Casey (new)

Casey Hampton (caseyhampton) | 652 comments Thanks for the Abercrombie reading advice. I think I'll just start at the very beginning and work my way through when I have some time.

A solid gold swimming pool Aaron? Was it gold pressed latinum? And here I thought I was the only one.

message 20: by Kris (new)

Kris (KVolk) | 796 comments Another +1 for Aaron's whiteboard reviews! Just awesome!!

message 21: by Tamahome (last edited Dec 31, 2012 08:52AM) (new)

Tamahome | 4700 comments You should have Hannu Rajaniemi ("The Quantum Thief") on your show. He's handsomer than Abercrombie.

message 22: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3049 comments Tamahome wrote: "You should have Hannu Rajaniemi on your show. He's handsomer than Abercrombie.

"

Disagree. I had no idea how hot Abercrombie was.

Loved the interview. Not just for staring at Abercrombie. :)

message 23: by Dara (new)

Dara (hd2185) | 1297 comments Great interview. I was unfamiliar with Abercrombie until now but I definitely want to read his books.

message 24: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1570 comments Tamahome wrote: "You should have Hannu Rajaniemi ("The Quantum Thief") on your show. He's handsomer than Abercrombie."

I will not be fooled by your sarcasm...again. Nick has already posted a picture of this big lipped fellow. Its definitely Alpaca with a makeover.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1932 comments Oh hey now, what's more attractive than someone who is as brainy as Hannu? *swoon*

I would say Joe Abercrombie was cocky, except he was clearly enjoying whatever role he was playing, and I'm always attracted to cocky, so....

message 26: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1570 comments Jenny wrote: "except he was clearly enjoying whatever role he was playing, and I'm always attracted to cocky"

Reminded me of Cosca a bit.

message 27: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1570 comments Well he's not ampidextrous because he can only flip the bird successfully with one hand.
But seriously - Multiple personality disorder? With depression for Ninefingers and Psychopathy or sociopathy for The Bloody Nine? Except The Bloody Nine is preternatural so maybe just a case of possession?

message 28: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1163 comments Mod
Carmen, I would consider that a spoiler. Can you please add a tag to that?

message 29: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 7 comments Veronica wrote: "Carmen, I would consider that a spoiler. Can you please add a tag to that?"

My bad. Not sure how to add a spoiler so I deleted it.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Just watched this, my first S&L video. Loved it, can't wait to catch up on others! I read the First Law Trilogy recently and I'm looking forward to reading the three stand-alone Abercrombie stories. Too bad he dodged the question somewhat about what other genres he'd like to incorporate into future stories, I was very curious to hear that answer.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Heroes (other topics)
The Quantum Thief (other topics)