Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Movies, DVDs, and Theater > New Movie Rentals

Comments (showing 20-69)    post a comment »

message 69: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Mar 14, 2009 07:28AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Jackie wrote: "If you liked The Notebook, you may like Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson..."

That surprises me too, Jackie. I've often wondered about James Patterson's writing. I've never tried him, but I always associate him with mysteries, etc.

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 3928 comments If you liked The Notebook, you may like Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson. Not his usual type of thing. I was surprised because I know his detective novels of Alex Cross and other mystery-thrillers. I knew it was different before I read it, but not how full of depth and love it would be. It was a very touching, deeply moving novel.

message 67: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Becky wrote: "Really, Joy? I think we must look for different things LOL I like simple & unsophisticated.....I am not saying I LOVE everything he has written but I think he must be a very loving, caring & sensit..."

Yes, I agree that Sparks must be a kind, sensitive person.

Becky (BeckyMurr) Really, Joy? I think we must look for different things LOL I like simple & unsophisticated.....I am not saying I LOVE everything he has written but I think he must be a very loving, caring & sensitive man & I loved Message in the Bottle.....

message 65: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Becky wrote: "I wonder what type of man Nicholas Sparks must be, his books are so emotional & filled with so much love....

Becky, I've read Nicholas Sparks's _The Notebook_ and _Message in a Bottle_. While the stories are touching, I didn't care for his style of writing. His style seems a bit too simple... not sophisticated enough.

message 64: by Becky (last edited Mar 13, 2009 07:47PM) (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) Just watched Nights in Rodanthe-read the book long enough in the past that I didn't remember too too much.....very nice little movie but of course, there were tears. I wonder what type of man Nicholas Sparks must be, his books are so emotional & filled with so much love....

message 63: by Jackie (last edited Mar 13, 2009 10:23PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 3928 comments I watch a lot of British TV Programs. A friend sent me The Black Adder which was funny, even more so if you know British history.
The Vicar of Dibley is one of my favorites, we're always laughing when watching it.
On Saturday night, PBS airs quite a few British programs.

Regina (luncrest) | 26 comments Yes, Supernatural has a lot of humor too. I loved the one with the depressed Teddy Bear(-:

message 61: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Speaking of comic relief, today I went to the library and borrowed one of the DVDs of the "Rumpole" British TV series. Rumpole is such a funny old fellow, always spouting classic quotes about his situation.

The series was based on the best-selling books by John Clifford Mortimer about "London's most brilliant barrister" (words from the DVD jacket).

The stories are famous for the expression "She Who Must Be Obeyed" (SWMBO), Rumpole's wife. Wiki says: "(Rumpole) secretly calls his wife Hilda 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' (SWMBO), a reference to the novel _She_ (1887) by H. Rider Haggard."

The title of the DVD I borrowed today is "Rumpole of the Bailey". One of Mortimer's books was _Rumpole of the Bailey_. ("The Bailey" is London's central criminal court.)

In the series, the part of Rumpole was played by the late Leo McKern who is perfect in the part.

Wiki describes Rumpole as "an aging London barrister who defends any and all clients".
See more at Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumpole_...

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 3928 comments The TV Series 'Supernatural' displays comic relief in every episode, it makes the show lighter and not so serious. I enjoy it.

Werner | 1560 comments Yes, Regina, it does have some humorous moments! Our previous discussion stressed its somber side; but the writers did have a lively awareness of the value of comic relief in places. :-) That's true of some other films in the supernatural genre as well, such as The Mummy (the one with Brendan Fraser, not the Boris Karloff original).

Regina (luncrest) | 26 comments I've seen "The Brothers Grimm" multiple times, my sons liked it, bought it and watched it multiple times, and I liked it. I thought it was pretty funny a lot of the time but I never expected it to be a serious historical film about the Grimm Brothers.

message 57: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Margaret wrote: "My favorite Heath Ledger performance is actually in CASANOVA, which kind of got lost in the uproar over BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. It's not a flawless movie, but the mood is lighthearted and fun, and Led..."

Margaret, thank you for your recommendations. I've put "Casanova" on my Netflix queue. "A Knight's Tale" is already on my queue, thanks to this group's recommendations. I appreciate your input.

message 56: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Mar 07, 2009 07:52PM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments PS-About "Roar", Wiki also says:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Roar: The Complete Series was released on DVD on September 19, 2006. The 3-disc set includes all thirteen episodes, even those which were never aired in the United States."

and

"In this fight for freedom, what is most important for Conor and his people is the Roar—the roar of the land, the roar of the people—a voice that echoes through every living creature and is the power of life."

message 55: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Mar 07, 2009 07:49PM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Werner wrote: "Jackie, bless your heart for running down the title and author information for not one but two Roar books; that made my day! They're going on my to-read list as well. :-)"

For those of you who, like me, have never heard of the Roar Universe and TV show, you can read about it at the Wiki webpage: ====>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roar_(TV...

Wiki says:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Roar is an American television show that originally aired on the FOX network in the summer of 1997. In the year 400 AD, a young Irish man, Conor (played by Heath Ledger), sets out to rid his land of the invading Romans, but in order to accomplish it, he must unite the Celtic clans."

Also, I just found out that Netflix offers the complete Roar series on DVD. So I've put it on my DVD queue. You've made me very curious. :)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 3928 comments Yeah, they did. I think it was meant to set a tone, a mood, for the film.

NP on the books, I never knew about them, so I was intrigued and going to look them up for myself anyway. Love to share.

Werner | 1560 comments Jackie, bless your heart for running down the title and author information for not one but two Roar books; that made my day! They're going on my to-read list as well. :-)

That's a good point about the night shots in The Brothers Grimm. But the day shots also tend to be overcast and rainy, and the villagers tend to dress in drab clothes and live in houses without much color.

Margaret | 75 comments My favorite Heath Ledger performance is actually in CASANOVA, which kind of got lost in the uproar over BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. It's not a flawless movie, but the mood is lighthearted and fun, and Ledger actually looks like he's having a great time running around Venice in frills and brocade. It's one of his few light comic performances; I wish he'd had time to do more, it's a tough style to bring off - very good actors often fall at the light-comic fence - and he had a lovely natural flair for it. BTW, Joy, I agree with Jim about A KNIGHT'S TALE: the pop music isn't intrusive at all, and it's actually quite fun the way the songs they've chosen "comment" on the medieval action! I think you and your husband would both have a good time with it.

message 51: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Joy H. (of Glens Falls) wrote: "I read the plot summary of "Four Feathers" at IMDb: ===>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240510/p...
Seems to me I read that summary someplace else before this."

P.S. I see that _The Four Feathers_ is a book by A.E.W. Mason written in 1902 and there seems to have been several movies made over the years, based on the book. You can see links to them here: ====>
http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=...

message 50: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Mar 07, 2009 12:06PM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments I read the plot summary of "Four Feathers" at IMDb: ===>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0240510/p...

Seems to me I read that summary someplace else before this.
Anyway, it sounds like a suspenseful story.

message 49: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Jackie wrote: "Most scenes in Brothers Grimm were night shots; they had to be dark.

Night shots are fine if you can see what's going on. (lol)

message 48: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Mar 07, 2009 12:00PM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Werner wrote: "Joy, The Brothers Grimm is indeed grim in places ... but it isn't actually depressing (at least to me), despite the dark visual quality, because they never give up and stop fighting. And (not to insert any spoilers!) the ending is more upbeat."

Well, Werner, at least it had an upbeat ending, unlike the Sawtelle book! I still can't get over that horrible ending... especially after all the warm and fuzzy dogs in the book... so misleading.

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 3928 comments Most scenes in Brothers Grimm were night shots; they had to be dark.

I wanted to see Four Feathers but forgot. If I don't get it when it first comes out, I quickly forget about it.
I was not pleased when they cancelled Roar, I really enjoyed it. It's the only series I know of that portrays the Celts. And I do love all things Celtic.

Thanks for the info about the books, I had no idea, and now they are on my To Read list.

From Wiki:
Two books were written based on the Roar universe. Published in 1998 and written by Sean Kiernan, Roar: A Novel (ISBN 0-0610-5914-5) gives a backstory leading up to the pilot episode, and Roar: The Cauldron (ISBN 0-0610-5936-6) tells the story of Conor's quest to find the legendary Cauldron.

Werner | 1560 comments Joy, The Brothers Grimm is indeed grim in places (don't apologize for the pun; it's a good one :-)), because the title characters run into some life- threatening situations and have to contend with forces that are both evil and ruthless; but it isn't actually depressing (at least to me), despite the dark visual quality, because they never give up and stop fighting. And (not to insert any spoilers!) the ending is more upbeat.

Re Heath Ledger, I didn't see all the movies Jackie cited, but I'll add another to her list: The Four Feathers remake. Ledger was a really talented actor who turned in a wonderful performance every time I saw him onscreen; he's going to be missed!

Jackie,I'm delighted to finally hear from another Roar fan; I hated it when they canceled the series after just one year! It did spark at least one spin-off novel, though --my oldest daughter has a copy, but she took it when she moved to Australia, and I've never gotten around to getting the author and title information.

message 45: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Operandi, I hope you can get your DVD player to work. Are you sure you pushed the "ON' button? Sometimes I forget to do that and the DVD slot won't slide out.

message 44: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Werner, the Grimm movie sounds pretty grim! (Pardon the pun!)

I've never enjoyed screens with dark pictures and lighting. That alone is enough to turn me off.

As Jim said, it's no fun to see a depressing movie. Life is depressing enough as it is. Why make it worse?

Some movies and books can be about sad things, but they aren't depressing. Right now I'm reading a book about something very sad, and I don't find it depressing. But several years ago, at one point in _The Grapes of Wrath_, I found it too depressing. Between that and trying to read the characters' dialect, I bailed out of the book.

message 43: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments This is strange, Messages 39, 40, and 41 seem to have been posted hours before my Message 42. They weren't there when I started posting Message 42. How did that happen, I wonder.

message 42: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Mar 06, 2009 11:55PM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Jackie wrote: "They don't make good comedies anymore."

As I look back, one of the best screwball comedies was "My Man Godfrey" (1936) with William Powell and Carole Lombard. See IMDb page here: ====>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028010/

Another good one was "Midnight" (1939) with Claudette Colbert and Don Ameche. ====>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031647/

Of course the epitome of screwball comedies was "It Happened One Night" (1934) with Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. ====>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025316/

The following Wiki page provides "some notable examples of the genre from its classic period": ====>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screwbal...

I wonder how the younger folks of today would receive these films. They're used to so many other different genres nowadays.

PS-I've started a new topic devoted to these screwball comedies. See it at: ====>
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I, too, have NetFlix, Joy. It was great until I didn't have a DVD player that works. I can't figure out how the one hooked up to the TV works. I also can't get the door to open for the DVD slot on my computer.

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 4000 comments I don't generally watch movies for realism unless it's supposed to be factual. I watch them for the same reason I read most books - entertainment. The last fantasy book I read that was too realistic was depressing. No fun & I won't read it again.

message 39: by Werner (last edited Mar 06, 2009 05:22PM) (new)

Werner | 1560 comments To throw in my two cents worth, I'll echo the praise for Braveheart and The Patriot. Movie appreciation, though, is a subjective thing; so Joy, if you're bored by battle scenes, they both involve a fair amount of those --and the violence tends to be up close and personal, as it really was in those times and places. But I do want to offer a differing view on two films.

I agree that The Brothers Grimm doesn't reflect the real lives of the brothers at all; it's purely the scriptwriter's invention. And portraying them as --originally-- con men isn't the most flattering depiction, and doesn't make them very likable, to begin with (though Jacob is more likable than Wilhelm is). But you have to take the movie on its own terms, as almost entirely fiction (that was easier for me to do, because it was what I expected), and the brothers do learn and grow in the course of their experiences --I didn't have the feeling, at the end, that they'd go back to conning people. IMO, there were a lot of good points about the film: it had an exciting supernatural adventure plot (if you like that sort of thing --obviously, I do :-)); I liked the way they blended in the history of the time, in the midst of the Napoleonic Wars; and I thought the use of predominately dark/greyish scenery, sets, costumes and lighting --except at the end-- was really effective both in creating a mood of supernatural oppression and in suggesting the harsh, joyless, somber conditions most people of the time, mired in war and poverty, had to live under.

Where that movie was very ahistorical in its view of the title characters' actual lives, Mel Gibson's Passion movie went for very extreme historical accuracy --and that goes for depicting the full brutality of a Roman scourging and crucifixion. We tend to soften it in our thinking, "pretty it up," as it were, so it fits more into the staid atmosphere of a typical Sunday morning; but what was really done to Jesus (and lots of other people) in that time and place had nothing pretty about it --it was ugly, disgusting and brutal, just like the movie is. That won't make it rank as anyone's all-time "favorite" movie --and it's not one I want to see again!-- but it has its value as an antidote to the rosy-colored view of the subject.

message 38: by Jackie (last edited Mar 06, 2009 12:14PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 3928 comments They don't make good comedies anymore.

A Beautiful Mind, it was good but it wasn't a great as they made it out to be. Haven't seen 3:10 yet.

Mel, what can I say, everyone has issues, he's no different than anyone else. So what, he got drunk and acted stupid, I've done it myself, LOL
I saw The Passion of the Christ just for curiosity's sake and, man, was it brutal! I was disgusted by it and that scene you mention, Jim, was by far the most horrific I've ever witnessed in a movie. I felt that extreme violence was totally unnecessary.

message 37: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments After I've seen Braveheart, I'll try Gladiator. But not until then. :) What ever happened to screwball comedies? LOL

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 4000 comments I liked Crowe in that one where he was the crazy mathematician & '3:10 to Yuma' too. As hard as I try not to hear about actors in real life, I haven't heard good things about him personally.

Jackie, I'll agree with you about Cometus. Sometimes a part just seems to coat the actor like paint they can't scrub off. (I am not Spock!)

Mel Gibson is pretty much all good. I forgive him his drunken incident, but I've had little interest in seeing his movies lately. That Jesus thing just looked boring & nasty. Heard he had a really long whipping scene. Yuck.

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 3928 comments PS: This is funny. Illogical, yet true.
Ever since I saw Joachim Phoenix as Cometus, I can't stand him in any movie, I despised Cometus do deeply that it spills over onto Joachim.

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 3928 comments Gladiator was the first movie I saw Crowe in and I thought he was fantastic. I haven't liked anything else he's done as much.

That line when he's on the field and Cometus asks him to remove his mask, and state his name, (I don't remember his full name) but he says "Maximus ____, father of a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife and I shall have my vengeance in this life or the next!" I got goosebumps and my hair stood up on the back of my neck. Then I was yelling and cheering him on. It was a supremely powerful and highly emotional line. One of the best lines ever.

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 4000 comments The few battle scenes in Braveheart are anything but boring. I love seeing the Scots moon the English forces! There's some battle & gore, but I agree with Jackie, it's certainly not over done.

Gladiator was a wonderful movie too. Crowe did a great job.

message 32: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Mar 06, 2009 09:20AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Jackie wrote: "It's a deeply moving heart-wrenching story.
I think they play up on battle scenes thinking everyone is only interested in that....
I don't mind battle scenes if it's with swords...
Some of my favoirte films are with swords: ...
And I like the martial arts films too.
...I guess I'm not your average girl when it comes to movies, LOL"

LOL - That's OK, Jackie. You're your own person.

One of my favorite quotations is:
"If I try to be like him, who will be like me?" -Yiddish Proverb

message 31: by Jackie (last edited Mar 06, 2009 09:14AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 3928 comments It's a deeply moving heart-wrenching story.
I think they play up on battle scenes thinking everyone is only interested in that. Violence and sex sells, according to ad agencies.
I don't mind battle scenes if it's with swords, it takes guts to fight with a sword. And many films with swordplay are choreographed almost as if it were a dance. Not Braveheart though, these battle scene have a lot of people and the fighting at that time was more of a melee.
Some of my favorite films are with swords:
Gladiator
Troy

And I like the martial arts films too. I watch them alone because no one else is interested. Surprisingly, they have really good stories to them.
Hero
House of the Flying Daggers
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
The Forbidden Kingdom
I guess I'm not your average girl when it comes to movies, LOL

message 30: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Jackie wrote: "Braveheart is anything but boring. A few battle scenes, 3 or 4, and not too long either; it's mostly a struggle to get out from under oppression, it's about people rather than battle.
Fantastic m..."

Jackie, I guess the preview ads on TV gave me the wrong impression of Braveheart. Now you've got me curious. I'll try it and let you know when I do. Thanks.

message 29: by Jackie (last edited Mar 06, 2009 07:54AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 3928 comments Braveheart is anything but boring. A few battle scenes, 3 or 4, and not too long either; it's mostly a struggle to get out from under oppression, it's about people rather than battle.
Fantastic music too.

message 28: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Jim and Jackie: I'll put The Patriot on my Queue. I avoided Braveheart because I don't like boring battle scenes. I'll try to remember to let you know how I liked these suggested movies. Thanks.

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 3928 comments It was a long time ago that I saw it, I wasn't bored at all. I don't think it was all battle scenes. I like Mel Gibson sometimes, Braveheart is one of my all time favorite movies. And who could forget Road Warriors?

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 4000 comments We really liked "The Patriot". We like Mel Gibson anyway, but this was one of his better ones, even if he isn't a good rocking chair maker.

message 25: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Mar 06, 2009 06:58AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Jim wrote: "I didn't get through "The Brother's Grimm". Not in the mood, I think."

Jackie wrote: "Brothers Grimm wasn't a good movie IMO. ... I'd suggest The Patriot, good story, good acting."

Jackie and Jim: OK, I'll skip The Brothers Grimm.

Jackie, I had checked out The Patriot but was afraid there would be too many boring battle scenes. Are there? Otherwise it sounded good. I'm not a fan of Mel Gibson, but perhaps I should try it.

Thanks for your suggestions and summaries.

message 24: by Jackie (last edited Mar 06, 2009 06:34AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 3928 comments Brothers Grimm wasn't a good movie IMO. I expected a story about the real brothers and how they went all over the countryside collecting folktales, instead I got two con men brothers fleecing people out of their money by chasing away bad spirits that they set up to begin with. I just couldn't get into it.

I'd suggest The Patriot, good story, good acting.
Summary from IMDB:
The movie takes place in South Carolina in 1776. Benjamin Martin, a French-Indian war hero who is haunted by his past, is a patriot who wants no part in a war with Britian. Meanwhile, his two eldest sons, Gabriel and Thomas, can't wait to go out and kill some Redcoats. When South Carolina decides to go to war with Britain, Gabriel immediatly signs up to fight...without his father's permission. But soon, Colonel Tavington, British solder infamous for his brutal tactiks, captures Gabriel and sentences him to be hanged. As Gabriel is taken away, Thomas tries to free him, only to be killed by Tavington, in front of Benjamin. Now, seeking revenge for his son's death, Benjamin leaves behind his 5 other children to bring independence to the 13 colonies.
Heath plays Gabriel, Mel Gibson plays Benjamin.

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 4000 comments I didn't get through "The Brother's Grimm". Not in the mood, I think.

message 22: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 11790 comments Thanks, Jim. I've put "A Knight's Tale" on my Netflix queue. Netflix also suggested "The Brother's Grimm'. Do you think I might like that one?

Jackie, I'll let you know what I think of "The Order" when I see it. Right now it's 36th on my queue and AKT is right behind it.

My Netflix experience has quickly become a big part of my life. Right now we have no Netflix DVD in the house and I'm getting withdrawal symtoms. LOL I'm waiting with bated breath for the next DVD to arrive. I'm even thinking seriously of moving up to the 3-at-a-time plan so that I'll always have a DVD in the house. I tend to watch them in short sessions so that means I keep them longer. Also, Eddie wants to watch them. Who knew I'd become a movie junkie so fast. LOL I hardly watch the news anymore. :)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 4000 comments We loved 'A Knight's Tale'. You really should watch it, Joy. My daughter wore out the VHS tape we have of it & even I have seen it several times. The sound track is awesome, but not overpowering. I don't think it will detract from it for you.

message 20: by Jackie (last edited Mar 05, 2009 08:56PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 3928 comments Sure. Let me know what you think of it. I went to the theater for that one too.

« previous 1

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The RAGMAN'S SON (other topics)
The Grapes of Wrath (other topics)
The Four Feathers (other topics)
Rumpole of the Bailey (other topics)
She (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kirk Douglas (other topics)