To Kill a Mockingbird To Kill a Mockingbird question

Who would you cast?
Diana Adhiambo Diana Dec 18, 2012 03:35PM
If you were making an adaptation film of To Kill a Mockingbird, which new-age actors would you cast?

There are some films that should never be remade,ie Cassablanca, Lawrence of Arabia etc. This is one of them.

Atticus: Jon Hamm
Boo Radley: Sam Rockwell

While I agree with the classic cast, I enjoy imagining actors taking on the roles of older films, so I'm going to give it a whack.

Boo Radley: Billy Bob Thorton
Tom Robinson: Denzel Washington
Scout: This is difficult because I don't know a lot of 9-year olds that could act it out, but I always picture Abigail Breslin as Scout.
Atticus: Harrison Ford

That's all I have. Fun to play, even if I think they shouldn't make it.

Jennifer OHMYGosh. Yep, Billy Bob Thornton definitely comes to mind for Boo Radley. Just a good, creepy character all the way around.
Mar 15, 2013 07:00AM

Gregory Peck IS Atticus!

Omar (last edited Jan 31, 2013 11:20AM ) Jan 31, 2013 11:17AM   1 vote
Believe it or not, I would cast Russell Crowe to play Atticus. He did a superb job in A Beautiful Mind and has an air of conviction about him.

I would like to add that no one will ever do it better than Gregory Peck, but Russell can do it differently, and for a different time.

Wendy Low Surely To Kill a Mockingbird deserves a color treatment...maybe a musical? OOOooo and let's redo Casablanca...surely we can get someone handsomer than ...more
Mar 05, 2013 06:25AM

The version with Gregory Peck is a classic, why remake it?

I believe the film with Gregory Peck was great. For the father the current actor I would choose would have to be Hugh Jackman.

First of all, Gregory Peck is Atticus. End of discussion there. Plus, all the other actors, even those who went on to fame later, were basically unknowns. That was part of the magic of the movie. And there will never be another Boo Radley, either. A perfect movie.

I'm usually not a fan of remakes of classics; however, the film leaves out some of my favorite parts, so I would like to see it remade. I like the idea of Kevin Spacey

Eddie Murphy as everyone!

You just cannot re-make it, and the cast was perfect.

I would not remake the movie. The Gregory Peck version is prefect. Peck became Atticus Finch and there is no actor living who is better than him.

Perhaps, if we state the question as are there any modern day actors that remind you of the would be easier to think of someone. I won't say that you can't remake a classic, sometimes Hollywood gets it right (I can't think of an example but I would love to see a director's vision such iconoclastic picture/story).

today the remake would be titled: "Atticus Finch: Vampire Killer"

At first, I think I reacted like a lot of folks, thinking that we already have a pretty definitive film adaptation of this book, so why would anyone want to remake it? Especially since the author worked with the film makers the first time around....

However, upon reflection I do think it makes sense to do a remake if we could get a small group of child actors together. Some films in the last 10 years or so have managed to get amazing performances out of those kids. I don't know if they're feeding them anti-aging drugs or something, but most recently the remake of True Grit features a pretty startlingly good performance. The original actors for TKaM are definitely good, but I would be interested to see what a dedicated director could get out of a modern cast.

There are only two stars in the film as it was written/adapted in 1962: Atticus & Scout. For every other role, I'd cast solid character actors, but look for an unknown for Tom Robinson.

Peck was in his early 40s when the film was made and I think that's about the right age for Atticus. I'd be looking for someone about that age. I do not think it would be a good idea to try to duplicate what was done. Better to try a new take on the character. People are going to want to give to Matthew McConaughey. I'm tempted to say Josh Holloway, but I'd have to see him screen test the character.

The suggestion of Russell Crowe is intriguing. How about Brad Pitt?

Uhhm. There's no actors from today's crop of 'movie stars' worth pinning on this question...

I would cast Elle Fanning

Okay, no way this movie should ever be remade, but . . .

Brad Pitt as Atticus. Think Meet Joe Black and The Tree of Life.
Johnny Depp as Boo. No one can play lovably weird like him.

I do like Tim's suggestion of Eddy Murphy as everyone. Maybe with Tyler Perry helping out.

It would be like trying to remake The Wizard of Oz or Singing in the Rain. Why mess with perfection?

deleted member (last edited Jan 28, 2013 04:33PM ) Jan 28, 2013 04:32PM   0 votes
I think since the movie was made within a few years of the book, it captured the mood and the direction of the book very well. That being said, I would not remake it; we've probably seen the definitive film . . .

Kyle Chandler would be a perfect Atticus. Not only does he look a lot like Gregory Peck, he's an amazing actor and has a southern accent.

I agree with you Ruth. Some movies are untouchable. Gregory Peck is Atticus and I cannot see another actor playing him.

I shudder to think what Hollywood would do to this book if a movie were to be made today.

I wholeheartedly agree with Ruth. To Kill A Mockingbird is my favorite book and one of my favorite movies. I can't imagine anyone rising to the stellar performances of the actors in the original.

Djimon Hounsou: Tom Robinson
Damian Louis: Atticus
Calpurnia: Viola Davis

Joclyn (last edited Feb 01, 2013 09:18PM ) Dec 20, 2012 08:47PM   0 votes
I saw the movie many times before reading "To Kill Mockingbird", when I finally read the book I could hear Scout's voice narrating the story. I think this is the only time I was glad I saw the movie before reading the book. It would be hard to replace Scouts voice. I see no reason to re-make this movie, you can't improve upon perfection.

Atticus: Kevin Spacey

Tom Robinson: I would probably look for someone relatively unknown, since the character himself is rather unknown until he gets arrested.

Boo Radley: I know this is gonna sound weird, but I would cast Dolph Lundgren.

Scout: I would also do an open casting call for Scout, since there aren't that many little girls working in Hollywood that I can think of. If you can think of one, please comment.

I agree with the many others who have praised the original movie. I see Gregory Peck's face everytime the name Atticus is mentioned anywhere and don't think anyone else could even come close to Peck's standard. The movie is wonderful and its one of those rare occasions when the movie is just as good as the book.

I would very much like to see the film, but when I was reading no one strung to mind, as often happens when you read. You can almost picture certain characters being played by certain stars. But whilst reading the book my images were very much in black and white, which is odd :)

I'm not going to cast over perfection.

Check out my webcomic:

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

To Kill a Mockingbird (other topics)