The Filipino Group discussion

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [Buddy Reading] The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (Serious Readers: K.D., Shiela, Reev, Biena. Kibitzers: Lynai & Po) Start Date: December 20, 2012; End Date: January 10, 2013. Tete-a-Tete: Saturday, January 12, 2013

Comments (showing 1-43 of 43) (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by K.D. (last edited Dec 17, 2012 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) Shiela and I will read "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" from December 20th to January 10th.

I will treat to lunch or dinner whoever wants to join us in reading this well-loved Mark Twain children's book. Venue: EDSA Shangrila Mall on Saturday, January 12th.

Reading Speed: 3 chapters a day.
- daily posts need not be comprehensive (but expect the F2F discussion over dinner to be detailed)

Interested? PM me.

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) Shiela, I went to EDSA Shang this lunch break. I saw Tratorria. I now know where it is. I am now reading the long intro and learning a lot about Mark Twain. He wrote Huck Finn after Tom Sawyer and in between was "The Prince and the Pauper." I remember that novel. I read its komiks adaptation when I was a small boy.

message 3: by K.D. (last edited Dec 20, 2012 02:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) Day 1 - Chapter 1 - Page 27 of 656

I did not know that this is told in first person. Huckleberry Finn is the one narrating and he comes to me as like a long lost buddy of my childhood. The mood is sweet, poignant and innocent. I am reading an annotated and illustrated edition of the book and it is hard to handle because of my arthritic hands. The annotations are even longer than the texts but I am enjoying this experience. I am enjoying this though. My first time to really read an annotated classic American book. This will be a memorable experience!

I am 2 chapters behind. I tried savoring the first chapter. I'll catch up this weekend.

message 4: by Po (last edited Dec 20, 2012 09:40AM) (new)

Po | 1193 comments kuya doni sa akin unabridged version parang pambata iyong cover.

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) Mine is also unabridged. I don't see any reason why I should go for abridged because this is a children's book :)

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments No other takers?! : ) Tayo lang talaga K.D. ang mahilig sa classics. hehe. If you pay for dinner, I'll pay for dessert / coffee : )

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) Probably, pre-1900 classics, yes. But not modern classics. Many members are into them.

No need to pay for anything. This is my treat. Next time that you want to read a pre-1900 book, let's have this mini-F2F. It is nice to thoroughly discuss a book and do it in person rather than online.

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments Yes, I'd rather discuss in person too. I reserve my writing for reviews.

Reev Robledo (reevrobledo) | 128 comments I am thinking about joining. The classics are always good. Great way to start another book-reading year too. :)

Although I usually don't join the online discussion because I read at an erratic pace. Face to face is always best!

And yes...Trattoria is one of my favorite Italian places. Masarap yung margherita pizza and shrimp pasta hehe. Good motivation.

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) Reev, why don't you join us. For a children's book, our pacing is slow. This will not bore me though since I am reading the fully annotated and illustrated hardbound edition. Chapter 1 alone is 27 pages. If you are using the Penguin (P99 worth) mass paperback, I think this chapter is 6 pages only.

I'd like to have this mini-F2F for books THAT REALLY MATTER and with more discriminating readers. I'd like to have a more insightful discussion that is hard to achieve in a big group. Strictly no half-finishers. Definitely, no observers. My treat. My rules. :)

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments Hi Reev! Good food, good book. That's our new motto : )

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) Tama. If this succeeds, I will make this a monthly obsession hahaha. Whoever picks the book will treat all the attendees to dinner or lunch. I don't mind choosing every month haha. Basta, let's concentrate on pre-1900 (or early 20th). The date will be different or far from the monthly big F2F's here (TFG) and that of my other book club so that there will be no conflicts and everyone is invited. Small group but only for REALLY SERIOUS readers.

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments It will succeed. I'll pay for the next mini-F2F : )

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) Yes, let's do it, Shiela (and Reev and whoever will take fancy joining). This is open for everyone. We are just providing options for more in-depth classic book discussions.

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments Yes, but due to limited resources (my book allowance), we have to select readers. This is not exclusivity. It's economics:) And this is not a charity. Obviously, this is an intellectual discussion over pizza : )

message 16: by K.D. (last edited Dec 20, 2012 04:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) Oh yes. We can make some adjustments later (during your turn). For this first mini-F2F, my book, my treat, my rules. BTW, can we call it tete-a-tete (TaT) so that it will not be confusing? I also suggest that there will be no moderator. You can jot down your questions and throw them to me during the course of the dinner. I will do the same. The tone and the mood should be relax and informal. It's like we just happen to be there enjoying our dinner and then this book pops up as a subject. Then if we get lost or there is a confusion or disagreement, we will bring out our books and point to the passages to prove our points hehe.

Also, if it so happened that if any of us did not like the book and so there was no point discussing it, he/she can call this TaT off and move to another book. If either of us were busy so he/she did not finish the book or not ready to discuss yet, we can postpone the TaT. There is no use forcing anybody into anything.

Lastly, no SPARKNOTES. No faking. The discussion should be really in-depth and slow and fakers will be discovered. In a TaT, there's luxury of time and there enough chances for follow up questions and rebuttals. No bitin discussion. We can stay in the restaurant up to its closing time. We will not leave until everybody is satisfied. Climax is not just a possibility. It is assured hehe.

Going back to your concern re your book allowance. Hmmm, maybe we can set a rule like the attendees should be not more than a certain number? "My book, my treat, my rules" and one of the rules is how many attendees your book allowance can support?

message 17: by Biena (The Library Mistress) (last edited Dec 20, 2012 09:26AM) (new) - added it

Biena (The Library Mistress) (biena) | 419 comments Can I still join? Hahaha. Lagi na alng ako pahabol! Hahaha.

I have the book at home.

DISCLAIMER! Di ako sumali dahil may free dinner. LOLZ. Hahaha

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments I like TaT. When's our book Tat? Pwede rin, Where's our book Tat sabay labas ng fake tattoo : )

Since it's 'my book, my treat, my rules', I can plan ahead the venue so that I can budget. Four to five people will do.

Why do I do this?

Because I'd love to meet people who genuinely like or value the select books that I read. It would be fun to bond over a challenging and demanding novel whose only entertainment value could be in the many ways, in a set of words, that the author told the truth.

How many writers today can truly claim that they told the truth about the world, about us, through fiction?

People don't tell us anything anymore these days. They hide them in their skin and let fester for days, months, years until you can smell the lies and sorrow in them without looking at their faces.

What if they're the people we love? What if they are us?

And so I read authors who had or have these ideas and experiences about the things we seek. I can't live many lives to discover the truth myself. But inside those pages, I have hope : )

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) Day 2 - Chapter 2 - Page 38 of 656 (6%)

The gang is already introduced. They are kids but they seem to represent what was happening during that sad phase in US history when owing slaves was legal. There is a scene here when TS (Tom Sawyer) suggests that they tie Jim (a black boy) to a tree and HF (Huckleberry Finn) does not agree. It is told casually but if you really think about it (I am using an annotated edition), it is really sad.

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) Reev and Bienna, you are in. My rules: not more than 10.

Po, you know I love you man. But not this time hehe.

Shiela, I know, right? Classics are classics. They tell us some universal truths so they stay for a long time if not forever. Classics are 'deathless' books. Future generations will forget "Harry Potter" and "Cloud Atlas" but they will still be reading "Huckleberry Finn" or "Pride and Prejudice." Classics will not stay this long (more than a century) if they already ceased to be relevant.

My opinion though. :)

Biena (The Library Mistress) (biena) | 419 comments ^^ Yay! Thanks, Kuya! :)

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) Biena, you're welcome. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Biena and Reev, I trust your taste on books that's why I accepted you for this first TaT. However, the other rules (like cancelling or postponing the TaT) will not apply to you. This TaT will only be cancelled or postponed if either Shiela or I say so. Tete-a-tete is supposed to be a private conversation between two people so this is designed really for two people but we can deviate from it a little ("my rules" hehe). Other than that, you are our equals: you will have your turn (your book, your treat, your rules). However, some basic rules will remain such as:

1) Pre-1900 or early 20th

2) Read the book from cover to cover. Read/Re-read along with the other participants. No recalling from memory and making an excuse that you forgot already. No half-finishers. No faking. No observers. Reading book summaries or reviews in the internet and/or watching the movie adaptation of the book in lieu of actual reading are both not allowed. You can do those after reading the book but please do not quote them. We will talk about the book. We don't care about the movie or some people's view about the book. What we want to know is what you think of it.

3) In-depth discussion - follow up questions are allowed until all of us are satisfied.

4) Over lunch or dinner - no time limit

5) Free wheeling - no moderator. No book summary. No about the author stuff. We're expected to have read these so no one will deliver these talks anymore. We will go straight to Q&A.

6) Informal/casual discussion. We will have a standard script. We will not mention the book when we see each other. Then we will start eating. When we are complete and the food is starting to fill our tummies, the lead (his book, his treat, his rules) will blurt something like: "By the way, recently I read this book __________. What can you say about it?" as if it just pops up as a subject in an polite dinner conversation.

7) Be prompt.

8) At the start, books are kept hidden. No books on the table. No notes, no pens. We will only bring them out if there is an argument and it can be settled by reading the actual passages. The reason for this is that I don't want us to be focused on the passages in verbatim or I don't want you to remind anyone regarding the sequence of events. We are expected to know those when we come to the venue. Fakers, watch out.

Rather, I'd like to hear more about how the book affected or moved you and its relevance to our times. After all, these are classic books.

This way, we will be bringing up the quality of a book discussion to its higher level.

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments Life is too short to fake things, especially reading. Fakers only rob themselves of the pleasure of truly knowing an author's work. Frankly, I don't see the point. That we have to call their attention is a sad, sad reminder that people come here and still don't get it.

Reev Robledo (reevrobledo) | 128 comments Hi Kuya D.,

Items...5, 6, 8...feels like being in boot camp. :) I don't think I can "act" that way and follow a standard script. It feels too stiff already and we haven't even started.

The rules seem to be piling up too (the ones the other day are okay). Forgive my naivety but...are these based on frustrations from previous book club meet-ups? :)

Sheila (archiveangel) | 107 comments Chapter 1

I'm loving Huck Finn's voice, but I'm partial to first person POVs because I can get inside the main character's mind. Like Tom Sawyer, HF is not a Model Boy. I discover here that he doesn't care much about following rules like learning or praying because it bores him to death. And it makes him lonely just 'setting' at home when the world outside can give him much pleasure.

I can relate to HF's need for adventure.

The adults, particularly, my father, couldn't stop me when I climbed trees and iron fences and rode my bike to no particular destination when I was a little girl. I wasn't wild or anything because I was indoctrinated earlier in a catholic school, but I did believe I was invincible. When my rib caught a pointed ornament of an iron picket fence, that's when I knew.

I'm just a child with a bloody scar down my rib and with a very, very loud cry of agony : )

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1721 comments Singit lang: Bongga, tete-a-tete! Nahiya naman yung term kong HOHOL sa thread na 'to :)))))))

I feel so batang kanto haha

Good luck sa book na 'to~ enjoy reading :)

*exits*

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) Reev, haha. You made me laugh. I was not serious about #6, the script. I don't think I can do it too. But #5 and #7, let's give them a try. I think we need to be serious. They are not based on anything. With TaT, I just would like to offer some more discriminating members an alternative in case they want to have a different smaller book discussion: focused, in-depth and "classics only." This is not to steal the thunder from the F2F, I am still supporting that (big, happy, friendly) book discussion and in fact, I am planning to join the next one. Rollie texted me a personal invitation hehe.

Reev Robledo (reevrobledo) | 128 comments Hello again, K.D.! Hirap kasi pag text lang. Can't hear how you said it. Hehe. :) No prob with 5 and 7...although I do enjoy hearing bits of information about the author since we have all accumulated different things here and there.

Btw, I hope it's okay if I don't post thoughts while reading the book. I prefer discussing when it's done. :)

message 29: by Tina (last edited Dec 20, 2012 07:14PM) (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2406 comments *puts moderator hat on* Hi guys! I was just going around the threads and I saw this. Good luck with your TaT. :)

Okay, thanks for clearing it out (again) na this won't be a conflict with the monthly activities. :) Of course we don't want those who are joining your TaT and who wants to join your F2F to choose one over the other. :) We all love reading anyway so it shouldn't be much of a conflict. :) So thank you!

*takes moderator hat off*

Happy reading! Merry Christmas! :)

Angus (angus25) | 3538 comments Serious readers: I am just kibitzing and perhaps I am not in any position to say this, but why not create another group for this Small group but only for REALLY SERIOUS readers? There's too much space on Goodreads. In fact, there's even a separate group already for Filipino books and writers (yes, I'm referring to K.D.'s group).

By the way, I've already read Huck Finn when I was in 4th year high school. It was my book report, so I took it really seriously. Modesty aside, my school paper adviser printed out my whole report (that's how serious I can get).

I hope you enjoy the book. There are a lot of things that can be discussed in it (first is, of course, the nature of slavery). And oh, just in case you haven't noticed, there's a Les Miserables reading group here for serious readers. There was also Anna Karenina (Shiela, how's your progress?).

And the group has picked Pride and Prejudice + Jane Eyre, which are legitimate 19th century classics. We do appreciate classics especially me; I even have a personal classics project but I'd rather not shove it to other people's faces. So please, don't lift your chairs higher than your heads because they could topple over you and give you brain damage. (And yes, I sound very annoyed. I will not fake my feelings.)

message 31: by Aaron Vincent (last edited Dec 20, 2012 07:42PM) (new)

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 1646 comments Hello!

I'm sorry for butting in, but some comments in this thread sound so wrong. You don't have to make more than half of the members of this group feel inferior for you to feel great about the books you read.

What books that matter are very subjective as much as the people that matters to one person differ from one person to another. What constitutes a serious reader anyway? Does that make the rest unserious readers? Reading Jokers?(view spoiler)

And if you are a "serious reader", shouldn't you know better than to condescend to us poor, unfortunate souls who don't read books you think we should be reading?

It's okay that you hold your own offline discussion, but please be more considerate with your comments. Sa akin lang, don't dismiss the reading preferences of the majority as FOLLY just because you think you have better taste.

And besides, we don't want people to go to this thread and think we advocate condescension and elitism, do we?

message 32: by Reev (last edited Dec 20, 2012 09:08PM) (new)

Reev Robledo (reevrobledo) | 128 comments And I thought having a free dinner would come so easy... :)

So apparently there's something deeper here. History between you guys. :)

Anyway, I'll say it now before it gets out of hand:

K.D., Tina, Angus, Aaron, Monique and everyone else who has something to say...

Please talk. And please do it in person. Now is a good time. :)

Biena (The Library Mistress) (biena) | 419 comments *Will just pretend that I didn't back read cos I still am dumbfounded*

Like Reev, I think I won't be posting my thoughts here as well... I'm more of an endless and talkative speaker than a typ-er. Hehe.

Even my blog is not updated!

Oh well. I promise to be prompt. I'll skip work for this. Di ko kasi yun nagawa nung December 1 so babawi ako this time! :D

Angus (angus25) | 3538 comments Thanks, Reev. I've already said everything I need to say, even before this came up.

K.D., just reread all my private messages before, way back in September. It's the same cycle.

Veneficus (veneficus_) | 277 comments Ang sakit naman nung sinabi mo, KD about Harry Potter! 'di ko matatanggap 'yon. Kayo na SERIOUS READER!

Veronica | 571 comments You need to get off your high horse KD. Like any other group, this book club runs on mutual respect. Just because there are people who don't read the books you read or discuss it the way you'd like doesn't make them non-serious readers. You need to apologize to the group.

Tricia (triciuhhh) | 1721 comments Oo nga! Pati Cloud Atlas! Ang labo naman ng comparison kasi magkaibang genre yun! I (or we) don't discriminate (or "forget") the classics. I DO and LOVE reading classics and literary fiction but I don't voice out or brag about it like I'm so awesome and cool and smart~ anyway, I just don't like the sound of the messages above. (I just read the whole thread now--I was trolling when I first commented-- and I'm really offended. Do you really think us, TFG readers, are NOT serious readers and FAKING it? If you don't, why mention it in the first place? Don't take this personally but this is really OFFENDING. I don't see the point of this even. I mean, it's more like bragging than discussing the book!).

Anyway, give LOVE on Christmas Day! Merry Christmas and a Happy new year!!!

K.D. Absolutely (oldkd) Whoa. I just saw this now. Goodreads is now blocked in the office. There are now too many messages so I don't know where to start. I like Reev's idea of discussing this in person. Tomorrow is a good time for me. I will be attending a book launch somewhere in Timog from 6pm onwards so I can meet anyone who'd to settle this before that. Maybe 4pm in say, Army Navy just below Popular Bookstore. Or even earlier (just tell me what time). Christmas pa naman?

Sorry if I slighted anyone. Not my intention really. I was just expressing myself. From the bottom of my heart, I apologize.

Please let me know. Most of you have my cellphone number so I am happy to take a call from anyone.

Tricia and others, Merry Christmas! :)

Veneficus (veneficus_) | 277 comments 'di porke't senior ka na, ikaw na ang laging tama, ikaw na ang laging masusunod. Sorry, na-offend talaga ako, eh. Pakitanggal na lang ako dun sa isa mo PONG group. Sorry guys.

Tina (tinamats) | 2406 comments OOOKAY. Hi everyone! *waves*

Thanks for your apology KD. Careful lang sa mga sinasabi kasi public yung threads. We are all mature adults here (redundant I know, but i want to stress the point), so please let's act that way. This goes out to everyone, btw.

Can we start over? I'm closing this thread muna kasi it's too hot. KD, please open a new one for your Huck Finn discussion. Thank you.

Monique (attymonique) | 1389 comments This is the last time I will EVER address you, KD. You never really considered me as your friend anyway, so I don't see the point of trying to reach out to you anymore. You can't even address me properly, right?

Hindi mo nirerespeto ang grupo. Sayang, we USED to look up to you pa naman.

SHIELA: You have no right to judge anyone or call anyone "fakers." None. Like KD, you should apologize to the group.

God bless you.

Tina (tinamats) | 2406 comments Hello again. I left the comment earlier on mobile and I wasn't able to read the rest of the posts before mine. I just knew I had to do the moderatorly thing and close the thread before things get out of hand. Now I am going to use my moderator powers to say my final 2 cents and then close this thread once and for all.

But first -- I want to post Louize's message that she posted in the Shout Outs thread because I closed the thread before she can post this:

Hi guys! This may be the only chance I may be able to say these things and I don’t particularly want to repeat any of it again. To read this thread is very heartbreaking for me, it cuts deep.

From the very beginning, TFG is a book club. CLUB being the operative word. Meaning, it’s an association of people with a common interest and goal. This thread however deviated from this book club’s interest and goal. Narcissism should have no room here. Wherein our diversity should be a gift, wherein our preferences should be acknowledged, it was disrespected. Much has been said, opinions were aired, and a lot of feelings were hurt. Although, it was not openly mentioned, I realize that a simple apology will no longer suffice. The roots are deep as it is.

We, each one of us, have a responsibility for this club we've signed in. Not just for the friends we've made over time, but for the newbies as well. We have an unspoken pledge, but pledge just the same. So let us make a smart decision. Do we want to keep this kind of animosity? For how long we will let this worm into our midst? For the majority’s best interest, if we have an ounce of respect for the group, make the honorable decision and let have the rest of us have a Merry Christmas.

Tina, allow me to borrow your tag line:

Ephesians 4:2-3 New Century Version
2 Always be humble, gentle, and patient, accepting each other in love. 3 You are joined together with peace through the Spirit, so make every effort to continue together in this way.

message 43: by Tina (last edited Dec 21, 2012 11:30AM) (new)

Tina (tinamats) | 2406 comments Okay. And my turn. Everyone has said what needs to be said, IMHO, so I will just say what I need to say and that's it.

KD: You know that I never stopped anyone from expressing their opinion, so I respect what you said. But I know that you know as a moderator of your own book club that you also need to be watchful of what you say in a group. Especially on an online platform because written words can be easily misinterpreted. I know you know that TFG members like joking around online, but like what Ronnie said, we operate on mutual respect so we do not make it a habit to leave condescending comments for others to read. Speaking in behalf of the group, I think everyone would really appreciate it if you are careful with what you post.

As for meeting up -- I'm sorry. I am not available tomorrow/today, given that this weekend is the worst time to go commuting all over Manila. And frankly, I still feel like everything is too "hot" to be discussed this soon, so forgive me if I will not make it to the time you proposed above.

Also, if we are going to discuss our "issues" face to face, I believe it shouldn't be an afterthought or a side trip to some other event. If we are going to settle this face to face, I think it has to be the sole objective of the meet-up so we would have time to really iron it all out. It will be a discussion among mature adults who (again) operate on mutual respect and care enough to settle differences in the most civilized manner possible.

You know all the questions I will probably ask because I sent them to you when all this started a few months back. However, you refused to answer because you said you were still hurt, so I let you be. As far as I am concerned, I still have no idea why this all started, so if you want me to be honest, I really have no beef against you until this thread came up. If you want to meet up for this, you can reach me via PM and we can set a schedule there, not here in a public thread. The other members who know nothing about the issues need not be involved in it.

Sheila: I don't know you, and I don't believe we have talked, but I am offended for my members about the faker comment. No one wants to be called that. So next time, please be careful with what you say. Again, mutual respect.

I am not angry. I am a bit miffed, but that will pass. ;) I am just putting my foot down to do what I should do because I have accepted the responsibility to take care of this group. So I also apologize to you, KD and Sheila, if there was anything I said there that was offending. I am sorry.

And finally, because I think this needs to be said (at least on my part): I forgive you.

----

Closing this thread for real now. Again, KD/Sheila: please open a new thread for your Huck Finn buddy read because this thread is just too full of negative things that I don't think it will be helpful for the discussion.

If anyone who reads this (whether you've posted here or not) has any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Thank you and Merry Christmas.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread