The Perks of Being a Wallflower The Perks of Being a Wallflower discussion


1730 views
The suicide poem

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emmy (last edited Dec 16, 2012 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emmy Styles Did anybody else think that the suicide poem that Charlie reads to Patrick for his Secret Santa gift was written by Michael? Also, why was Charlie admitted to hospital when he was seven after the death of his aunt?


Breanna Sorry whos Michael again...I read the book a while ago.. also Charlie was admitted to the hospital becuse he had a nervous breakdown or in other words anxiety...at the end Charlie went to the hospital cause he remembered that his aunt molested him as a child and he went into a state of depression


Gabby Michael is Charities friend- the one that committed suicide at the start of the book.


Gabby As for the the poem...why do i like it so much?

This is the Poem, By the way:
“Once on a yellow piece of paper with green lines
he wrote a poem
And he called it "Chops"
because that was the name of his dog

And that's what it was all about
And his teacher gave him an A
and a gold star
And his mother hung it on the kitchen door
and read it to his aunts
That was the year Father Tracy
took all the kids to the zoo

And he let them sing on the bus
And his little sister was born
with tiny toenails and no hair
And his mother and father kissed a lot
And the girl around the corner sent him a
Valentine signed with a row of X's

and he had to ask his father what the X's meant
And his father always tucked him in bed at night
And was always there to do it

Once on a piece of white paper with blue lines
he wrote a poem
And he called it "Autumn"

because that was the name of the season
And that's what it was all about
And his teacher gave him an A
and asked him to write more clearly
And his mother never hung it on the kitchen door
because of its new paint

And the kids told him
that Father Tracy smoked cigars
And left butts on the pews
And sometimes they would burn holes
That was the year his sister got glasses
with thick lenses and black frames
And the girl around the corner laughed

when he asked her to go see Santa Claus
And the kids told him why
his mother and father kissed a lot
And his father never tucked him in bed at night
And his father got mad
when he cried for him to do it.


Once on a paper torn from his notebook
he wrote a poem
And he called it "Innocence: A Question"
because that was the question about his girl
And that's what it was all about
And his professor gave him an A

and a strange steady look
And his mother never hung it on the kitchen door
because he never showed her
That was the year that Father Tracy died
And he forgot how the end
of the Apostle's Creed went

And he caught his sister
making out on the back porch
And his mother and father never kissed
or even talked
And the girl around the corner
wore too much makeup
That made him cough when he kissed her

but he kissed her anyway
because that was the thing to do
And at three a.m. he tucked himself into bed
his father snoring soundly

That's why on the back of a brown paper bag
he tried another poem

And he called it "Absolutely Nothing"
Because that's what it was really all about
And he gave himself an A
and a slash on each damned wrist
And he hung it on the bathroom door
because this time he didn't think

he could reach the kitchen.”


Breanna oh right!! Thanks!! I remember the character just not the name! :)


Emmy Styles Breanna wrote: "Sorry whos Michael again...I read the book a while ago.. also Charlie was admitted to the hospital becuse he had a nervous breakdown or in other words anxiety...at the end Charlie went to the hospi..."

oh thanks! :) I got the ending I was just slightly unsure about the time when he was little :)


message 7: by Mar (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mar Yes, i believe that the poem was written by Michael, and it´s so sad. What I don´t understand is what Charlie thought was the end, because he said he didn´t know it was suicide. Maybe he didn´t wanted to see it?


Lindsey I also got the inpression that the poem was written by Michael. I think that for much of the book Charlie's mind is in a very repressive state from things like Micheal's suicide and his aunt.


Kayla Emmy wrote: "Did anybody else think that the suicide poem that Charlie reads to Patrick for his Secret Santa gift was written by Michael? Also, why was Charlie admitted to hospital when he was seven after the d..."

I think the first part of your question was already answered, why he was admitted to the hospital?
Charlie was molested by his aunt, in the book, and also because he had some problems getting over her death,


Charlie Oakley When i read it in the book i have no doubt it is referring to Charlies friend Michael. However, in the movie Charlie tells sam that Michael shot himself and in the poem it says that the boy in the poem cut his wrists. It could be metaphorical, or just a mistake when it was adapted into the movie. Incidentally, i enjoyed the book very much


Gabby Yes, it's metaphorical.


message 12: by Tamahara (last edited Dec 31, 2012 07:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tamahara Naranjo Charlie wrote: "When i read it in the book i have no doubt it is referring to Charlies friend Michael. However, in the movie Charlie tells sam that Michael shot himself and in the poem it says that the boy in the ..."

The book also says that Michael shot himself. Charlie mentioned that Michael gave him the poem, so I don't think it was his suicide note or he didn't write it in the moment it happened


Emily Charlie was admitted to hospital after his aunt died because Helen molested him, probably because she was molested. (it tells you this in the epilogue) He also had a lot of trouble getting over her death. He felt like it was his fault because she was out to get him a present.


message 14: by Emmy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emmy Styles Emily wrote: "Charlie was admitted to hospital after his aunt died because Helen molested him, probably because she was molested. (it tells you this in the epilogue) He also had a lot of trouble getting over her..."

But the molestation wasn't discovered until the end of the book?


Gabby Tamahara wrote: "Charlie wrote: "When i read it in the book i have no doubt it is referring to Charlies friend Michael. However, in the movie Charlie tells sam that Michael shot himself and in the poem it says that..."

Yeah. And, plus, the Director wrote the book. It'd be hard for an Author to forget something from his first book.


Emily Emmy wrote: "Emily wrote: "Charlie was admitted to hospital after his aunt died because Helen molested him, probably because she was molested. (it tells you this in the epilogue) He also had a lot of trouble ge..."

yeah, that's true. my guess would be that he went to hospital when he was seven because he felt it was his fault (her death) but i'm not really sure :)


message 17: by Max (new) - rated it 4 stars

Max The poem is not by Chbosky. It's called "A Person/A Paper/A Promise" by Dr. Earl Reum, and it's safe to assume that's the case also in the book, although I guess it's possible the reason Charlie came to know that poem was because of his friend Michael, maybe he was reading it while contemplating suicide or something.


Inês I think that poem (in the book) was written by michael, its a hint that he would suicide and why would he do that


message 19: by Leon (new) - rated it 2 stars

Leon RE Max wrote: "The poem is not by Chbosky. It's called "A Person/A Paper/A Promise" by Dr. Earl Reum, and it's safe to assume that's the case also in the book, although I guess it's possible the reason Charlie ca..."

I heard it was written by a fifteen year old boy two years before he committed suicide. I hope the book gave it proper credit rather than trying to pass it off as its own material.


message 20: by Leon (last edited Feb 15, 2013 06:57AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Leon RE Inês wrote: "I think that poem (in the book) was written by michael, its a hint that he would suicide and why would he do that"

Mar wrote: I also got the inpression that the poem was written by Michael.

Yes but Michael must have copied the poem from somewhere else, maybe to express his feelings. The poem is not an original work of Perks of Being a Wallflower.


Olivia The poem "A Person/A Paper/A Promise" was originally written by Dr. Earl Reum. His poem is the one used in Perks, but there was a rumor (which was never proven) that a boy named Patrick Comeaux used it as his suicide note. It's called "A Person, A Paper, A Promise Remembered" (if you search it on Google, anyway), and there are a lot of differences, because the boy didn't remember the poem exactly.


Rosie Olivia wrote: "The poem "A Person/A Paper/A Promise" was originally written by Dr. Earl Reum. His poem is the one used in Perks, but there was a rumor (which was never proven) that a boy named Patrick Comeaux us..."
Thank you for this I almost gave up trying to find up where that came from...I was so curious :)


message 23: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Evans Yes I don't think it was Michaels poem because it mentioned a professor which is usually what you call a teacher in a university or college. While he was only in 8th grade. I couldn't find where it said Michael gave the poem to Charlie. Could anyone help me out? I think the poem was very interesting because it's a poem about him losing his innocence and anyone can relate to it.


message 24: by Annika (last edited Jan 03, 2014 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annika If anyone cares, here is an article that helped me understand who wrote it in real life:

http://tosantaclaus.net/the_web_facto...


Juthi Dewan Gabby wrote: "Michael is Charities friend- the one that committed suicide at the start of the book."

who's charity? xD


Frida I think the book forshadowed that this was Michael's suicide note. Charlie mentioned that he wished that Michael had at least left a note, and when he read the poem during the secret santa everyone looked sad and I think that is because they understood that it was Michael's poem. Charlie said that he had constantly wondered who had written it. Later on Charlie mentioned that he understood what happened at the end of the poem. I think Charlie realised that it was Michael's poem and that poem was his suicide note.


Harriet Limpot Oh right! Never thought about that. But I think you're right about Michael writing that poem as his suicide note.


S. Elle Cameron Gabby wrote: "As for the the poem...why do i like it so much?

This is the Poem, By the way:
“Once on a yellow piece of paper with green lines
he wrote a poem
And he called it "Chops"
because that was the name o..."


This poem is probably one of my favorite moments from the book. It has so much power in it. I forgot how great this book really is!


back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (other topics)