December 2012: Book of the Month discussion

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, # 1)
What do you think so far?

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brooke (Storybrooke7) | 2 comments Mod
I am about half way through and really loving it!

Teresa I just finished the book. I enjoyed it immensely. It made me think about what I would do if I were Jacob or one of the other peculiar children. Once knowing why Grandpa Portman was peculiar, it helped fill in some and I could guess other things before it was disclosed. I wouldn't want to live the same day over, still aging but left in same body as I was that particular day, and never able to live ordinary. I wondered how Emma and Grandpa got letters to each other. Now after reading the end, I have questions about if their mission succeeded, what adventures did they have along the way, and what Jacob's life ended up being. Awesome Read!

Brooke (Storybrooke7) | 2 comments Mod
5/5 star! I loved this book!! The photographs was a stroke of genius and made me feel like I was the one holding them in the story! This book was strange but told with a lot of heart!

Dianna (maxwellmamaDEE) | 1 comments I really loved this book and the fact that these were real photos that had been found and the story made up around them really has me wondering about the children in the photographs. I did see on his blog where he'll be doing a sequel and he's traveling around the world collecting old and unusual pictures now in order to have more characters to work with. As for the letters, my guess would be that they would go in and out of the modern day post office, perhaps Miss Peregrine kept a box there and as a bird would go and deposit or pick up mail to and from Grandpa and Emma. It was a great read, one I'll recommend a lot and I'm already so looking forward to the sequel.

message 5: by Jeffrey (last edited Dec 24, 2012 04:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeffrey | 1 comments I loved this book as well. The use of the photographs, a device that was used very effectively in "Time and Again" by Jack Finney in 1971, brings so much to the story. Even though it's supposed to be for a younger audience, I, as an adult reader, was very much taken with this book.

Dianna Damir | 1 comments I'm afraid I have to disagree with the positive reviews. Perhaps I'm just cynical, but because I love strange, quirky books, I thought that this would be a shoo-in. I just didn't care for it though. I thought the photos were interesting, but perhaps a little distracting. I also thought that because the photos were so interesting, the author simply used the photos as a gateway to a book and because it was so contrived to have the pieces fit together, I don't think the story would've held up without the crutch of the photos. Am I the only one that feels this way??

Lori | 1 comments After reading the first several pages, I thought it was bizarre but at the same time intriguing. I liked the old vintage photographs which in turn added to the novel and storyline. I thought some of the pictures had a creepy feel to them but their presence makes perfect sense. It was a tense, moving and strange story. It was a great book!

Markie | 2 comments I'm just getting into it!!! I'm finding it strange and bizarre!!! I just can't put it down!!! Can't wait to finish!!!

Kim (greeneyes0727) | 1 comments I just finished the booktoday got behind with the holidays but I just loved this book!!! 5/5 stars I got it from the library but I am going to buy. This is one of those books I'd read again!! Great read!!!

message 10: by Teresa (last edited Jan 02, 2013 01:52PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Teresa I finished the book today. I really enjoyed the writing style in the beginning pages of the book. The author's voice for the young adult male teen felt real and the sarcasm & angst made Jacob believable and a character you could root for. But, once the storyline became very violent and dark, I had to wonder about the target audience. It is pretty bloody and creepy for older children and felt a bit forced to conform with the odd photos for older teens.

Coincidentally, I also read "Time and Again" by Jack Finney which is similar in that this story also uses photos & drawings during the narration and includes time travel and a mystery to be solved. I felt Jack Finney did a much better job of making you care about the characters and making a plausible situation for the circumstances enough so that you suspend your disbelief and allow yourself to be caught up in the story. I might have enjoyed Peregrine's Home more had I not just read "Time and Again."

Markie | 2 comments I just finished!!! I loved it!!! I found it to be strange and quirky but wonderful!!! An awesome read!!!

Jamise I just finished today and to my surprise I thoroughly enjoyed this book. At the beginning I thought this is really a strange book but the writing style kept me intrigued. I loved the story line and found myself totally engrossed in the characters. Good choice!

unread topics | mark unread