The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > Amazon wins EU e-book pricing battle with Apple and major book publishers

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 4385 comments Mod
This sound like Good News for those of you in Europe.

message 2: by Rik (new)

Rik | 628 comments I'm still waiting to see a drop in E-book pricing here in the United States after the settlement but so far no go. I absolutely refuse to pay for e-books that are more than half the price of the dead tree version which means my kindle is full of a lot of freebies and well reviewed indie stuff. Thats not necessarily bad because its why I ended up getting the Wool Omnibus on a Black Friday sale for $1.99 and it was absolutely fantastic and the best book I've read in years.

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 1603 comments I'm not so much concerned with the prices (well, up to a point), but PLEASE let me buy from Amazon.uk without having to go in and fiddle with my Kindle's country of registration or whatever.

message 4: by Tim (new)

Tim | 380 comments Joseph wrote: "I'm not so much concerned with the prices (well, up to a point), but PLEASE let me buy from Amazon.uk without having to go in and fiddle with my Kindle's country of registration or whatever."

Damn right. The latest book on a series I'm reading came out at the end of October, but it's still not available in the UK kindle store (I could buy the paperback, bit it's a MMP, and my eyesight is not up to the tiny print - which is why I like kindle so much). According to the author's blog, RandyPenguin's server got hit in the NY storm. But .com has it. Heck, even Australia has it - and they're usually the last to get anything. And to rub insult into injury, the preview says "taken from the kindle edition"!

I could so easily download a torrent and not pay a penny, but of course I want to buy the book legitimately. Yet again, DRM proves itself as a punishment against honesty.

message 5: by AndrewP (last edited Dec 15, 2012 08:28AM) (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1932 comments I had e-mails from both Amazon and Barnes and Noble saying that I was entitled to compensation. I bet that turns out to be about 5 cents or something ridiculous.

No word from Apple even though I did mistakenly buy 2 books on the iBookstore early on :)

message 6: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (Darrenhf) | 96 comments Gdt wrote: "I avoid Amazon like the plague, just like they avoid taxes."

Ouch!

message 7: by AndrewP (last edited Dec 16, 2012 05:25PM) (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1932 comments Gdt wrote: "I avoid Amazon like the plague, just like they avoid taxes."

Your more than welcome to pay my taxes :)

message 8: by Sean (new)

Sean (CaptHowdy) | 32 comments NMC wrote: "Amazon may be a giant, but I'm for it if it means lower prices for consumers."

heh. Apple and the big publishers aren't slouches either. I hear this 'Apple' company may be worth a dollar or two :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wool Omnibus (other topics)