The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Pacific Rim

Comments (showing 1-50 of 136) (136 new)    post a comment »

Jim | 43 comments Didn't see a topic for this, so apologizes if there is one. But it is Guiliermo Del Toro's next movie, basically giant robots vs giant monsters, and a trailer has been released http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vKz7W...

Dara (geekdara) | 935 comments All I can think is "Oh hi. So, how are you holding up? Cause I'm a potato."

But awesome.

Rob (robzak) | 2290 comments Dara wrote: "All I can think is "Oh hi. So, how are you holding up? Cause I'm a potato."

But awesome."

Now I want to go play portal.

Dara (geekdara) | 935 comments Rob wrote: "Dara wrote: "All I can think is "Oh hi. So, how are you holding up? Cause I'm a potato."

But awesome."

Now I want to go play portal."

Me too. I've been playing the first Mass Effect and some of that reminds me of Portal 2.

David | 17 comments Yeah, the AI voice in the trailer is so close to GLaDOS's that I almost have to assume that it's intentional. But I'm not sure what to make of that...there's nothing else in the trailer that says "Portal", and I struggle to think of some way that the movie's premise could be a prequel to Portal.

Or maybe they're just using her voice to lure in Portal fans...

Keith (Teleport-City) | 258 comments I think it's meant as a in-joke, nothing more

Matt | 90 comments Someone on i09 said that it is actually the GLaDOS voice, that Del Toro went to Valve and got permission and such but I have no idea how true that is. I want it to be true because it would be fantastic.

Tamahome | 4255 comments Don't trust her!!

Rob (robzak) | 2290 comments Tamahome wrote: "Don't trust her!!"

Too late. They already put her into giant mechas. Plural. We're doomed.

Joseph | 145 comments This film looks ridiculous, I think if it was directed by Michael Bay I'd say 'oh typical', but because its Del Toro and he's a genius, it's actually appealing to me.

Also Idris Elba :D

GLaDOS surprised me, but any GLaDOS is good frankly.

Paul 'Pezski' Perry (Pezter) | 365 comments Joseph wrote: "This film looks ridiculous, I think if it was directed by Michael Bay I'd say 'oh typical', but because its Del Toro and he's a genius, it's actually appealing to me.

Also Idris Elba :D

GLaDOS ..."

I agree with every word of that!

I would have preferred to see del Toro make At The Mountains of Madness, which I believe this project effectively put an end to, but still looks worth seeing.

Kim (shirezu) | 385 comments I hadn't heard anything about it until I saw the trailer before The Hobbit. All I could think was this was a live action Neon Genesis with GLaDOS. I must see it.

Ruth (till-tab) | 1015 comments I love Del Toro! I agree completely with the Michael Bay comment above. Del Toro manages to use these kind of ridiculous sounding ideas, and have a lot of fun with them, without forgetting to make you care for the characters. Daft as this film seems, I know he can make it feel grounded; I really want to see this.

Zachary Harley | 1 comments Is it me or does the movie seem to be an american adaptation of Neon Genesis Evangelion? Instead of the creatures being angels they are monsters comign through a rift in the pacific? Even the mech models look close to the same.

Daniel Eavenson (DannyEaves) | 103 comments The Glados thing is legit. There's a Nerdist podcast where he talks about it. Also an interview with the screenwriter in that same podcast.

And apparently he has a room in his house where it rains all the time.

Trike | 1069 comments Superman? Suck it. Star Trek? Get stuffed. Hobbits? LOL.

This, this right here, is the non-Marvel movie for me in 2013.

Dara (geekdara) | 935 comments Some awesome human mashed up the trailer with the Power Rangers theme song. http://youtu.be/FfB09Wie6yk

Wilmar Luna (wilmarluna) | 164 comments I cannot wait to see this movie! Me and my co-workers are going to do a "bro party" and go see it when it's out.

message 20: by Jlawrence, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Jlawrence | 787 comments Mod
Zachary wrote: "Is it me or does the movie seem to be an american adaptation of Neon Genesis Evangelion? Instead of the creatures being angels they are monsters comign through a rift in the pacific? Even the mech models look close to the same."

I had the exact reaction upon seeing the trailer. It made me wonder if del Toro was one of the directors interested in the ever-stalled live-action Evangelion adaptation, and that he decided to do his own sort-of "inspired by" instead since the official adaptation remains in limbo. There's at very at least some kind of influence going on! I love some of del Toro's stuff, and I am excited about this movie, but this trailer at least made me think "American Eva".

Jim | 43 comments I'm not sure about Evangelion, but if anything he might be a old school anime fan were giant robots were facing giant monster on a regular basis. but I am pretty sure he's a kaiju fan for sure, he has said he used to watch them when he was younger and in an interview said he told the guys designing the monsters to "Think guy in a suit" then go wild.

P. Aaron Potter (PAaronPotter) | 585 comments Wow. Color me the lone skeptic. Looks like a sci-fi channel original.

Doug Hoffman (dshoffman) | 62 comments I sometimes wish Goodreads had a facebookian "like" button, cuz I would have been liking y'all like crazy. Except for P. Aaron. Sorry, but this looks great to me.

Trike | 1069 comments P. Aaron wrote: "Wow. Color me the lone skeptic. Looks like a sci-fi channel original."

Here's the cheapo knock-off version: Atlantic Rim.

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1196 comments P. Aaron wrote: "Wow. Color me the lone skeptic. Looks like a sci-fi channel original."

Not just you Aaron. I saw this trailer in the movie theater and thought 'Oh no, Sci-Fi channel meets Michael Bay's Transformers.'

Wilmar Luna (wilmarluna) | 164 comments AndrewP wrote: "P. Aaron wrote: "Wow. Color me the lone skeptic. Looks like a sci-fi channel original."

Not just you Aaron. I saw this trailer in the movie theater and thought 'Oh no, Sci-Fi channel meets Micha..."

The acting definitely doesn't strike me as amazing for this movie. But the effects certainly look awesome.

And really, who's coming to see this movie to see convincing acting performances? It's definitely purely for robots fighting monsters.

Charlton I for one can't wait for Pacific Rim.And people from Sons of Anarchy are in it and I really like that show.

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 600 comments If we're going by Rule 34, I can't wait for Pacific Rimjob

Trike | 1069 comments Wilmar wrote: "The acting definitely doesn't strike me as amazing for this movie. But the effects certainly look awesome.

And really, who's coming to see this movie to see convincing acting performances? It's definitely purely for robots fighting monsters. "

I'm really hoping this doesn't turn out to be another King Kong, where the guy's geek love overwhelms his filmmaking sense. Jackson really choked on his big-budget mash note to his 12-year-old self, so I'm hoping Del Toro doesn't suffer the same problem. This is basically a big-budget version of Ultraman. I'm down with that.

And this thing is jam-packed with genuinely good actors, so I don't know why people are thinking it looks bad on that angle.

Wilmar Luna (wilmarluna) | 164 comments I'm going to see Pacific Rim tonight, anyone checking it out as well? I can't wait!

David(LA,CA) (DavidScharf) | 306 comments I saw it last night.

The best movie I've seen this summer is the one that didn't piss on its source material. What a concept!

Forbes West (Forbes_West) | 36 comments David(LA,CA) wrote: "I saw it last night.

The best movie I've seen this summer is the one that didn't piss on its source material. What a concept!"

Sorry if I'm missing something but what source material?

David(LA,CA) (DavidScharf) | 306 comments Forbes wrote: "Sorry if I'm missing something but what source material? "

Giant Monster and Giant Robot movies/tv/anime in general.

It's more an issue with the other films I've seen taking something really well known and then finding a way to screw it up in the name of targeting modern audiences.

Josh Wall I thought the action was great. The underwater part at the end was something I hadn't seen before, and the physics and weight of the monsters and mechs seemed very realistic. Great design on all the big creatures, and Charlie Day and Ron Pearlman are both pretty funny.

The only downside of this movie was the story; it's very basic and just a showcase for the monster/mech fights. An element I thought was really interesting though was in the prologue talking about the pilots becoming celebrities. It almost looked like the battle became a spectator sport - cheer on your favorite team! But it got glossed over pretty quickly to get to the main story. The actors all do decent work filling their roles, but the script doesn't really shake any action movie/redemption story basics.

Rob (robzak) | 2290 comments I'm going tomorrow.

message 37: by Alex (last edited Jul 12, 2013 04:49PM) (new)

Alex (Alex1729) | 27 comments I thought it was great, cheesy, but great. It didn't take itself too seriously (I mean really, it's giant robots vs. aliens), with the slight exception of Mako's acting, which I felt was on the edge of overplayed at times.

On a side note, is it me or did all the white guys look the same? (scientists and russians excluded). I had trouble distinguishing them at times.

message 38: by Trike (last edited Jul 12, 2013 07:14PM) (new)

Trike | 1069 comments I'll be seeing it Sunday.

Wilmar Luna (wilmarluna) | 164 comments Alex wrote: "I thought it was great, cheesy, but great. It didn't take itself too seriously (I mean really, it's giant robots vs. aliens), with the slight exception of Mako's acting, which I felt was on the edg..."

Just got back from watching it, oh hell yes this movie was awesome.

So... yeah the white guys did all vaguely look the same, but I'm grateful that there was still -some- diversity in the cast. The Red Typhoon triplets were great, and I wish they had gotten more screen time, but wow.

What an awesome movie, this CANNOT be watched on a small TV set, not at all by a longshot. It was made for IMAX 3D and I HATE 3d movies! Absolutely hated it!

I watched The Hobbit, Hugo, Jurassic Park, and none of these movies really sold me on 3D. I'm still not sold on 3d but Pacific Rim was EPIC.

If you just let yourself enjoy the ride and get into the feeling of punching robots in the face, there's no way this movie will disappoint.

Tamahome | 4255 comments Veronica's tweet:

"Veronica Belmont ‏@Veronica 12 Jul
Now THAT is how a summer action movie is done. Entertaining from start to finish, and I even liked the 3D! Nailed it, #PacificRim"

Rob (robzak) | 2290 comments Loved it. Plot was predictable, but so what. I wish he had directed Transformers. The fight scenes were excellent.

I'm tempted to go see it again in IMAX 3d.

Wilmar Luna (wilmarluna) | 164 comments Rob wrote: "Loved it. Plot was predictable, but so what. I wish he had directed Transformers. The fight scenes were excellent.

I'm tempted to go see it again in IMAX 3d."

If you haven't seen it in Imax 3d, it's well worth the trip. I'm trying to drag my girlfriend to see it with me so I can watch it again. :D

Jim | 43 comments Saw it today and thought it was worth the wait. I hope it does well enough to get a sequel.

Pamela D (FunIsReading) | 42 comments I saw Pacific Rim this weekend, and I loved it. This was the summer film that I have been waiting for! I really enjoyed the opening sequence and just want to watch it again and again.

Trike | 1069 comments I thought it was big fun. Giant robots punching giant monsters in the face! What's not to love?

A couple of guys behind me were analyzing it afterwards, trying to come up with plausible explanations for the stuff that happens. I sat there thinking, "This stuff is there because it's COOL. That's as deep as you need to go."

Anyone who hasn't seen it yet, there's a stinger after the title sequence in the end credits. You'll know it when you see it.

Rob (robzak) | 2290 comments The movie had a dedication to Ray Harryhausen and Ishirō Honda at the very end too. Nothing fancy, just text.

The guy at the end of our row was on his second viewing already and gave us a heads up on the after the end stuff.

Rob (robzak) | 2290 comments Ugh. And I was just looking. It only made $38.2M domestic this weekend. Meanwhile people shelled out $42.5M for Grown Ups 2.

I just don't get that.

Trike | 1069 comments Rob wrote: "Ugh. And I was just looking. It only made $38.2M domestic this weekend. Meanwhile people shelled out $42.5M for Grown Ups 2.

I just don't get that."

Me either. Pacific Rim is, hands down, the most fun I've had at the movies this year. Monsters University was quite good, but this immediately took me back to 1974 and watching those Toho Studio giant monster movies.

Part of the problem may be that it's not playing in as many theatres. I had to go to another town to see it yesterday because my local theatre was only showing it four times, two of them in 3D, whereas Grown Ups 2 was being shown 10 times. If that pattern is repeating everywhere, then that might explain the dichotomy. Probably doesn't help that Pacific Rim is a half hour longer than GU2.

Rick I.... sorry guys, but this is an average film aside from the fight scenes.

Plot - bog standard, by the numbers.
Characters? - ditto.
Acting? - competent, but aside from Hannibal Chau, nothing stood out.

This is all about the fights and the spectacle and, sadly, that too often is all geeks care about anymore.

As for Grownups 2 - different market, broader appeal (slapstick comedy will bring in more people than robots vs monsters).

Trike | 1069 comments Del Toro has always focused on spectacle. None of his movies have original plots or deep characters, even the one many consider his masterpiece, Pan's Labyrinth.

Knowing that going in, I feel that any character development at all is a bonus. So Mako's story was all icing on the giant metal cake.

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Sleepless in Hollywood: Tales from the New Abnormal in the Movie Business (other topics)
At the Mountains of Madness (other topics)