The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > Fantasy Faction's Top 10 Anticipated Fantasy Books for 2013

Comments (showing 1-50 of 52) (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 3697 comments Mod
Memory of Light isn't' number 1? Really?

message 3: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 216 comments Oh wow what a dangerous list. Not so much that I've only read the first book of the Gentlemen Bastards series (yeah no WoT yet), but over 1/2 of the list are series. This list alone could keep me busy for 2013 :)

Just glancing at Demon Cycle and that sounds pretty awesome

message 4: by Brandt (new)

Brandt The Doors of Stone is the one i'm looking forward to the most next year.. just followed by the next Dresden File..
None of those are on the list :P

message 5: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 921 comments My most anticipated fantasy book for 2013 is The Unholy Consult, book 3 of the Aspect-Emperor series by R. Scott Bakker.

Of the books on the list, I am excited for A Memory of Light, Highprince of War and A Republic of Thieves.

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim | 440 comments Mab wrote: "The Doors of Stone is the one i'm looking forward to the most next year.."

Except it's very unlikely to be out in 2013.

message 7: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (DavidScharf) | 327 comments Book #2 of the Shadow Ops series made this list? Must be a slow year.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 104 comments Mab wrote: "The Doors of Stone is the one i'm looking forward to the most next year.. just followed by the next Dresden File..
None of those are on the list :P"

Doors of stone isn't slated for 2013.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 104 comments Rob wrote: "Memory of Light isn't' number 1? Really?"

Yeah I find that a bit strange - as I'm sure most do. There is no question that in the fantasy community it IS the most anticipated - I'm glad I have no book coming out in January 2013.

message 10: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 3697 comments Mod
From the article itself I found this:

"Without question, A Memory of Light is one of the most anticipated fantasy novels of all time."

Yet it's not the top one for 2013? They don't even know the exact release date:

"I believe this book is out in January/February 2013, so you’ve got some reading to do!!!"

Even Peter V. Brent is surprised:

"Seriously? I won? Are you sure there wasn’t a miscount?

Don’t get me wrong, The Daylight War is a great book that I worked really hard on and am incredibly proud of. I would have thought that no one would be anticipating its release more than me. But while the rest of those guys can eat it (and let’s face it, Republic of Thieves is probably going to end up in 2014 anyway), even *I* am chomping at the bit to read AMoL…"

Either way I'm curious what metric they are using. I didn't see them mention how they came up with the list, but I skimmed.

message 11: by Brandt (new)

Brandt Kim wrote: "Mab wrote: "The Doors of Stone is the one i'm looking forward to the most next year.."

Except it's very unlikely to be out in 2013."

Arg, thats a shame, i dont know why i felt sure that was due next year.. Rothfuss certainly takes his time :P Come to think about it i'm not even sure there will be a Dresden file next year, since Butcher is doing that Steam Punk book first..

message 12: by Alex (new)

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 654 comments Personally, I think the list from BestFantasyBooks is better.

message 13: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Gunzel (JeffGunzel) | 18 comments Rob wrote: "Memory of Light isn't' number 1? Really?"

That's what I was thinking. (Do you know how long some of us have been waiting for this...lol)

message 14: by Rik (last edited Dec 13, 2012 01:46AM) (new)

Rik | 619 comments I don't get it either how Memory of Light is not #1. The only fantasy book series still putting out books that can compare in terms of sales and anticipation would be the next Game of Thrones book but that won't be out until about 2021*.

*I'm being optimistic, more likely 2024.

message 15: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) I must say of the less hyped books I'm quite looking forward to whatever Neil Gaiman produces next!

message 16: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 104 comments Jonathan wrote: "I must say of the less hyped books I'm quite looking forward to whatever Neil Gaiman produces next!"

Yeah Neil read a bit of
The Ocean at the End of the Lane during Fall for the Book here in Fairfax VA and it got me very excited for it's release.

message 17: by Emy (new)

Emy (EmyPT) | 98 comments Frustrates me when lists like this include books that aren't confirmed yet. Not sure whether it's frustration with publishers for not confirming that far ahead or list makers for adding unconfirmed books! :)

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 104 comments @Emy - Yeah I thought there was a pretty high number of books on the list that won't make 2013. My guess is 40% as I don't think these will hit 2013:

3. The Blood Mirror
6. The Republic of Thieves
7. Highprince of War
10. Drakenfeld

But I might be wrong.

message 19: by Emy (new)

Emy (EmyPT) | 98 comments Yeah - tried to update the entries on GR for the ones with no covers, no entries and got annoyed there too :D

message 20: by Chris (new)

Chris (chris_b) | 1 comments I'm most looking forward to "A Republic of Thieves"! Thanks for sharing the list.

message 21: by Emy (last edited Dec 13, 2012 11:34AM) (new)

Emy (EmyPT) | 98 comments OK added the Drakenfeld one...

Here: Drakenfeld :)

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 104 comments Emy wrote: "OK added the Drakenfeld one...

Here: Drakenfeld :)"

Thanks! I updated my master list with the new link.

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 104 comments NMC wrote: Expecting the Republic of Thieves to be out next year is like expecting the last book of the Sword of Shadows to be out next year. I'm giving another 5 years for them both, at least. ..."

5 years?? - Ouch!

message 24: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1655 comments If Highprince of War is coming out in 2013, then that goes straight to the top of my list.

message 25: by Rainer (new)

Rainer Dela Cuesta (delacuesta) | 28 comments Sweet! Book 2 of the Stormlight Archives has a title now! I'm definitely excited for the Highprince of War.

And I'm currently on book 3 of The Wheel of Time, still a long way from A Memory of Light.

message 26: by Ian (new)

Ian Roberts | 140 comments A memory of light is probably not number 1 because a lot of people gave up on this series a long time ago 14 books, really?. Certainly for me The Daylight War is well up there, agree also that The Unholy Consult should be on there

message 27: by Todd (new)

Todd (Motorcycleman) | 31 comments There are no standalone novels. None. :(

message 28: by Paul (new)

Paul Nelson (PaulN) Some top releases next year, most anticipated in order.
4. Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire #3) by Mark Lawrence
1. The Daylight War (Demon Cycle #3) by Peter V. Brett
7. Highprince of War by Brandon Sanderson
6. The Republic of Thieves (Gentlemen Bastards #3) by Scott Lynch
9. The Crown Tower (Riyria Chronicles #1) by Michael J. Sullivan
5. Sworn in Steel (Tale of the Kin #2) by Douglas Hulick

Only just started the wheel of time series & I wasn't much for the Brent Weeks series compared to the night angel trilogy. Bring em on

message 29: by Jer (new)

Jer Hmmmm, gotta' say Steven Brust's 'Hawk' tops my list.

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 104 comments Todd wrote: "There are no standalone novels. None. :("

Yeah I noticed that as well.

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 104 comments Paul wrote: "Some top releases next year, most anticipated in order.
4. Emperor of Thorns (The Broken Empire #3) by Mark Lawrence
1. The Daylight War (Demon Cycle #3) by Peter V. Brett
7. Highprince of War by Brandon Sanderson
6. The Republic of Thieves (Gentlemen Bastards #3) by Scott Lynch
9. The Crown Tower (Riyria Chronicles #1) by Michael J. Sullivan
5. Sworn in Steel (Tale of the Kin #2) by Douglas Hulick"

Nice! Thanks for including my book in your line up.

message 32: by Trike (new)

Trike | 2559 comments I am all about the Daylight War. I read the first two books in the series like I was warded against sleep and blinking.

message 33: by Trike (new)

Trike | 2559 comments Todd wrote: "There are no standalone novels. None. :("

"Anticipation" often leads to series books. And Fantasy is especially prone to series.

message 34: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelJSullivan) | 104 comments Trike wrote: "Anticipation" often leads to series books. And Fantasy is especially prone to series."

Good points

message 35: by Aildiin (new)

Aildiin | 137 comments Gah this list makes me realize how much catch up I still have to do...
I haven't started most of the series in the list and the one I actually started is in need of a huge re-read (WoT of course)

message 36: by Aildiin (new)

Aildiin | 137 comments Rik wrote: "I don't get it either how Memory of Light is not #1. The only fantasy book series still putting out books that can compare in terms of sales and anticipation would be the next Game of Thrones book..."
Our only hope of ever reading the end of Song of Ice and Fire lies with HBO at this point. I hope their contract with Martin includes harsh financials penalties if he fails to deliver the latest seasons...

message 37: by Mach (last edited Dec 20, 2012 03:37PM) (new)

Mach | 46 comments I would not put my hopes on the tv show speeding GRRM up, i actually think being involved in the tv show will slow down his writing. I also think that if they did cancell the tv show after season three, it would make him write and publish the 6th book as fast as possible because if he waits too long, his book will not have the exposure or publicity it needs to reach as many people.

message 38: by Aildiin (last edited Dec 20, 2012 03:58PM) (new)

Aildiin | 137 comments I would hope that a corporation like HBO didn't engage in a contract with GRRM without significant safeguards for them...
Because if that's not the case we are really scr**ed.
Unlike Jordan, it doesn't seem like Martin has a very detailed plot of what will happen in the next books so it would make it very hard for Sanderson to finish the serie...
At least I would expect the contract to grant HBO some rights to pursue the serie if GRRM was to die before the serie is completed by him.

Right now from what I heard they just finished shooting season 3 which will cover half of the third book.
Lets say they do the other half in the next 12 months and then they will have to start shooting stuff from book 4 and 5. I'm guessing they will actually mix stuff from both books as I don't think the viewers would like to spend a year or more without seeing Tyrion or some of their others favorite characters.

If they cover book 4 and 5 in 2 seasons that means 3 years from now they will need material from book 6 to shoot and I really don't see how GRRM will deliver without someone putting pressure on him ( the fans complained for 5 years for book 5 and that did not seem to bother GRRM much so clearly someone else has to convince him..)

message 39: by Alex (new)

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 654 comments I'm pretty sure I've heard GRRM say that the show will surpass his writing soon. (In terms of where the plot goes, not in quality.)

message 40: by Todd (last edited Dec 21, 2012 08:05PM) (new)

Todd (Motorcycleman) | 31 comments Trike wrote: "Anticipation" often leads to series books. And Fantasy is especially prone to series."

True that. I just long to discover a new fantasy novel that, upon finishing, feels complete. I've found that satisfaction in fantasy short stories, but not enough in novels of the genre.

I'm sure the books are out there, I just haven't found them yet because I'm busy trying to keep up with all these series I'm currently reading!

message 41: by Rik (new)

Rik | 619 comments Aildiin wrote: "Rik wrote: "I don't get it either how Memory of Light is not #1. The only fantasy book series still putting out books that can compare in terms of sales and anticipation would be the next Game of ..."

The show probably won't last long enough to do all seven books even if they were out. They are planning on splitting books 3 and 4 into two seasons each. That puts the show at season seven just to get to the 5th book and seven seasons is a long time for a high budget genre show even if its currently a critical and ratings success.

message 42: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 149 comments Well its crazy that Neil Gaiman's new book isn't on there, and for me Scott Lynch's third is the number 1 choice. :)

I can't wait. :D

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Curtis | 10 comments Well, I went through and added all the books in this list just to check make sure I have them in my to-read queue. I honestly won't get to any this year in all likelihood. I was pretty interested in the storyline of all of these, even though I would say I'm still fairly new to the scifi/fantasy genre.

message 44: by Igor (new)

Igor (igork) | 105 comments The Stormlight Archive #2 is all that I care about.

message 45: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 4 comments Jer wrote: "Hmmmm, gotta' say Steven Brust's 'Hawk' tops my list."

Completely agree, I was surprised that Brust's Vlad series wasn't on there.

message 46: by Patrick (new)

Patrick | 4 comments Michael wrote: "Rob wrote: "Memory of Light isn't' number 1? Really?"

Yeah I find that a bit strange - as I'm sure most do. There is no question that in the fantasy community it IS the most anticipated - I'm glad..."

I'm so glad I read this thread, I thought Crown Tower was a repackaging of your first two books, but when I realized that its a brand new book, next year is going to be a great year for reading!

message 47: by Jason (new)

Jason (Jzone) | 37 comments Igor wrote: "The Stormlight Archive #2 is all that I care about."

Seconded. Motion passed. *bangs gavel*

message 48: by Ray (new)

Ray | 33 comments Dharmakirti wrote: "My most anticipated fantasy book for 2013 is The Unholy Consult, book 3 of the Aspect-Emperor series by R. Scott Bakker.

Completely agree. The Unholy Consult is far and away the book I am most looking forward to in 2013. I cannot overstate how good The Second Apocalypse Series is (The Prince of Nothing and The Aspect-Emperor Trilogies). Bakker is one of the very best writers around in any genre at the moment.

The highlight on that list is definitely The Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch. I really dig the Ocean's Eleven style vibe he has going in The Gentleman Bastards series. Book one, The Lies of Locke Lamora, in particular, is an exceptionally good book.

Most of the rest of list is not remotely appealing. The Wheel of Time is one of the most overrated works of Fantasy ever written. Weeks started well enough with The Warded Man but the follow up, The Desert Spear, was a big let down. Lawrence's Prince of Thorns did not feel particularly well written. The story itself wasn't bad, but overall it was just meh. I will be interested to see what Sanderson does with his second Stormlight book. I don't mind big fat epic fantasy, but there is a risk of it becoming too big and in the process losing the story, Erikson, Jordan and Martin all being prime examples in my opinion.

message 49: by Greg (new)

Greg Hochard (hochardga) | 4 comments I know it's not as popular as these, but I'm excited about The Gate Thief. Though I don't know if it's really confirmed or not.

message 50: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Pecoraro | 225 comments Man oh man, must I be out of touch; I don't know who half of these authors even are. LOL

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Daylight War (other topics)
A Memory of Light (other topics)
The Broken Eye (other topics)
Emperor of Thorns (other topics)
Sworn in Steel (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Peter V. Brett (other topics)
Robert Jordan (other topics)