The Sword and Laser discussion

Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #116 - Secret of Success

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca (new)

Becca (Becca_Canote) | 101 comments Friends of Sword and Laser are doing VERY well. We're not saying that being a guest on Sword and Laser will guarantee you riches... but it seems like it might.

Just saying.

Also we have verification on the humanity of the Bibliomat. Also WARNING: there's cursing. But it's worth it. All that and Moria, on this episode.

http://www.swordandlaser.com/home/201...

Enjoy!

message 2: by Casey (new)

Casey Hampton (caseyhampton) | 652 comments This was a fun show. Thanks for making us smile.
Since I don't want to be a jerk, I will say nothing of Moria.

Regarding the Twelve Days of Awesome:
Hmmm, well Felicia Day reading "Song Of Myself" doesn't work with meter. I know I know but I just like Whitman's epic poem is all.

How about "Felicia Day singin' Green Sleeves? (I'll go make the corrections)

Oh and there should be more swearing!

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5059 comments Is Michael J. Fox on this episode?

message 4: by Camilla (new)

Camilla Hansen (MalazanShadowDancer) | 64 comments I was surprised you haven't read Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I am only at book 6, but I completely adore the universe. Okay, maybe "only" is a bit misplaced... But it's an intriguing world, and a big one at that. His skill at weaving several stories together in the same book without confusing the reader. I do hope you would give the books a read, as the world is captivating as soon as it unfolds and engulfs you. So to speak.. I'd hate being literally engulfed..
Well, this turned out to be a longer post than expected!

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris (KVolk) | 796 comments Ahhh...the perfect antidote to a long challenging day.

message 6: by David (new)

David Leprohon | 4 comments Unfortunate that Steven Erikson has to apologize for his publisher for comparisons to GRRM. The book series of A Song of Ice and Fire and Malazan Book of the Fallen are very different. I think of Steven Erikson's world as hard fantasy, where Gods that walk the world, brutal magic rules, different planes of existence (warrens and other realms) are reality, there are many different intelligent humanoid species, and there is a time span of hundreds of thousands of years. I love both series, but they are very different and enjoyable for different reasons. I suggest reading the first book, but going into it with a mind-set that the world is not Earth-like, it is not The Seven Kingdoms, and that Steven Erikson makes his own rules for his own fantasy world. I have read the first 7 books, but the second is still my favorite.

message 7: by Josh (new)

Josh (JSGauss) | 1 comments I think a lot of the comparison between GRRM and Steven Erikson comes from the way they treat their characters, with the "nobody is safe" philosophy and the way they like to branch out the story to follow a bunch of different characters. The Malazan books are certainly a lot more "fantastic" than GRRM, though. Gods and demons and interesting magic (not just the one flavour of magic, either). I really enjoy them, theyre probably one of my favourite series at the moment... my only problem is that they can be quite heavy going at times.

I have heaps of fun reading them, but it also feels like it requires a bit of concentration. Lately Ive been switching back and forth between Erikson and Dresden Files to shake things up a bit.

I definitely say Veronica should try out Gardens of the Moon (the 1st book), but with the caveat that it really throws you in the deep end and for some people thats disconcerting - you have to accept that its all ok and he's going to bring it all together later in the book. You get a crash course through immersion rather than a nice simple "Intro to Erikson 101" class.

message 8: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1582 comments If anyone's thinking about reading or rereading the Malazan series and would like to discuss with other people there is an epic reread of the series next year here http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/8... (hope I'm not breaking any rules) starting in January. Its kept to 4 chapters a week so it doesn't interfere too much with any other reading.
Even if you just want a peak and see what everyone thinks before deciding if you want to start the series.

message 9: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 4319 comments Mod
David Sven wrote: "If anyone's thinking about reading or rereading the Malazan series and would like to discuss with other people there is an epic reread of the series next year here http://www.goodreads.com/group/s..."

It's not a reread for all of us. :-)

message 10: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1897 comments I'm with V. Opening a bottle of wine just for myself has never been a problem :)

message 11: by Chaz (new)

Chaz | 32 comments Thanks for pointing me to that David, I will definitely join in.

Veronica, Eriksen's Malazan series is one of my all time favourites. When it says Epic it really means epic. The scope is across tens of thousands of years and is of the life and death of civilisations but it has some awesome characters and a cast of hundreds. There are gods and immortals that walk the earth but you also get some great in-the-trenches characters as you see big power plays affecting normal frontline grunts.

message 12: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1372 comments Mod
Chaz wrote: "Thanks for pointing me to that David, I will definitely join in.

Veronica, Eriksen's Malazan series is one of my all time favourites. When it says Epic it really means epic. The scope is across te..."

Good to know, thanks!!

unread topics | mark unread