Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

What are U doing today? > Sunday, March 1, 2009 - What are U doing today?

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Mar 01, 2009 07:39AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 12652 comments Sunday, March 1, 2009
Today I'm wondering if March will come in like a lion and go out like a lamb.
The forecast for today is:
"Partly sunny, with a high near 32.
North wind between 5 and 9 mph.

Doesn't sound bad, but that North wind can be a bit of a lion at times.
Photobucket
Looks as if snow may be on the way for the Glens Falls, NY, area. See:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Speaking of wind, here are links to a couple of good cartoons: ====>
http://www.inkcinct.com.au/Web/CARTOO...
http://www.chrismadden.co.uk/eco/wind...

message 2: by Jim (last edited Mar 01, 2009 03:50PM) (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 4344 comments Today is Marg's birthday & it's been a bummer. She woke up feeling bad, so I did the horses. Last night she noticed Amber, who had chased a cat 2 days ago, had a bit of cloud in her eye, so she took her to the vet in Louisville. Got there at 10:15am. She was done by 11:30am. Before the vet could get the paperwork done, a dog came in that was dying, so he got stuck on that. She didn't get out of there until 2:30pm.

While there, she had to put up with the hysterical lady owner of the dying dog who kept shouting on her cell phone to everyone she knew, even though there were signs all over saying no cell phones because they interfered with the vet instruments & the
office staff kept asking her to put it away. Then the lady's daughter came in & started fighting with her. A mother brought in 2 small boys with no toys & had a long wait to see her dog, finally storming out after lots of fighting among the bored boys...

She was exhausted & feeling worse by the time she got home. I did the horses for her again tonight. She fed the dogs & made herself some soup. We were going to go out for dinner, but she's not up to it.

Hope my birthday goes better than hers...

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 12652 comments What a shame that had to happen on Marg's birthday! I hope she'll get a chance to celebrate properly soon. At least you stood by her and helped her when she needed you. That's a gift in itself. Please wish Marg a happy birthday for me. Here's a cake for her:
Photobucket Hope all her wishes come true.

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 12652 comments BTW, Jim, when you say "Do the horses", what does that entail?

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 4344 comments 'Doing the horses' means feeding them, cleaning the shed & stalls of manure & old bedding, putting in new. Giving them hay, checking the water & taking the dogs for a walk. I know, it doesn't seem like dog walking would fall under doing the horses, but it gives them a good run around the fields & woods twice a day, even when Marg doesn't go riding.

Poor Amber is staying in. She's got a cone on her head & very unhappy about it. She was rubbing the scratched eye & making it worse.

message 6: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1720 comments Jim, tell Marg she has a (belated) happy birthday wish from Virginia! I hope the rest of her year is a lot better than her birthday was. :-)

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 4344 comments Thanks, Werner! Will do.

message 8: by Nina (new)

Nina | 2961 comments I doubt there is more crazy weather than we are having in the US or elsewhere...It was eleven degrees yesterday when I woke up around 7:00 AM and gradually got up to twenty seven degrees. Today was thirty something at that time in the morning and skip ahead to Thursday and they are predicting a day in the seventies..Talk about roller coaster.It's been that way all winter but we finally got snow last week; five inches. We needed it and will we have puddles when it hits seventy. nina

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 12652 comments Hi Nina - yes we'll have lots of puddles when all our snow melts. We have so much snow that it probably won't all melt until May! LOL

message 10: by Nina (new)

Nina | 2961 comments They are predicting 74 degrees tomorrow. Yeah spring! Well not quite but it is a nice preview. We had a sad tragedy in our city yesterday. A fire truck hit and killed a seven year old boy who was en route home from school..There seems to be varying opinions as to whether the boy darted in front of the truck who some witnesses say had the siren on and flashing lights but others say they didn't hear anything. I feel sorry for both sides. They had to pull the driver out of the truck as he was overcome and crying. It is so sad for the family to lose a child. I think our entire metro area(2 million) are in mourning with them. nina

message 11: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Mar 04, 2009 04:44PM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 12652 comments Nina, I'm so sorry to hear that sad story.
It's as sad for the driver as it is for the boy and his family.

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread