Chicks On Lit discussion

Group Read Book Discussions > May Nominations

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2510 comments Mod
First 12 nominations or up until Wednesday, whichever comes first.
Make sure it isn't a book we have already read.
Be prepared to lead the discussion (its not that hard or that scary - you can do it!)
Any genre, any period, anything that's available in print

message 2: by Meg (last edited Mar 02, 2009 04:01PM) (new)

Meg (megvt) | 2851 comments Paula by Isabelle Allende

"Listen, Paula. I am going to tell you a story so that when you wake up you will not feel so lost." So says Chilean writer Isabel Allende (The House of the Spirits) in the opening lines of the luminous, heart-rending memoir she wrote while her 28-year-old daughter Paula lay in a coma. In its pages, she ushers an assortment of outrageous relatives into the light: her stepfather, an amiable liar and tireless debater; grandmother Meme, blessed with second sight; and delinquent uncles who exultantly torment Allende and her brothers. Irony and marvelous flights of fantasy mix with the icy reality of Paula's deathly illness as Allende sketches childhood scenes in Chile and Lebanon; her uncle Salvatore Allende's reign and ruin as Chilean president; her struggles to shake off or find love; and her metamorphosis into a writer. --

Jackie (FindingJackie) | 214 comments Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Kristen (Kristen120378) The Last Lecture - Randy Pausch

Bree (breezybaby) | 3 comments i recently joined this group..and this will be my first time nominating/participating in a group read! how exciting!!

I nominate: Wit A Play by Margaret Edson

KrisT | 553 comments Bree I saw Emma Thompson in the movie and it was indescribable!!

Angie  (AngelitaBonita) | 119 comments Lolita my first nomination with a book club. Go me :)

Angie  (AngelitaBonita) | 119 comments Oops, it was already nominated...do I have to choose something else or is that ok?

Meg (megvt) | 2851 comments You can choose something else.

Leshawn | 55 comments Bree and KrisT,
I loved "Wit" and have seen the film numerous times. It demonstrates clearly why Emma Thompson is my favorite actress. That's the kind of acting that leaves no doubt that someone has talent. I also thought Audra McDonald was great.
I've read the play and thought it was wonderful, as well.
I'd be willing to re-read it and discuss it here!

Jackie (FindingJackie) | 214 comments I'm almost to scared to read everyone else's noms. My wishlist just gets bigger. /sigh

message 17: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2510 comments Mod
3 more nominations spots open

message 18: by Jo (new)

Jo (BloominChick) | 2991 comments Can we nominate more than 1 book w/there being 3 spots still open or is that unfair?

Alison | 20 comments How about The Secret Scripture. It's supposed to be really good.

KrisT | 553 comments The help by Kathryn Stockett is supposed to be good too but I have not read it yet. It is pretty new so those who use the library might not have it yet.