Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix discussion

Who did you want dead the most? Umbridge or Voldemort

Comments (showing 1-50 of 265) (265 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

Kynzie Umbridge

Brooke UMBRIDGE!!! >:P

message 3: by Kynzie (last edited Dec 10, 2012 10:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kynzie I agree;D

Mike Addington Umbridge 4 sure. Ooooh. what a mean b she was. sicked the dementors on harry and dudley. she was so mean, she didn't even have to be a death eater to be a big shot at the new Ministry of Magic. now thats saying something, huh?

Claudia Yarrick Umbridge! Harry can deal with Voldemort later.

Jeni I never wanted Umbridge dead, but I hated her worse than Voldemort. Let me explain:

Evil MUST be vanquished. Voldemort needed to be eliminated, without doubt.

Umbridge wasn't evil on the Voldemort level, but she always seemed to be vying for the job. I really just wanted her to get a dose of her own medicine, to be honest. Torture her like she tortured others.

Kynzie Umbridge was just downright mean to Harry.

message 8: by Erin (last edited Dec 11, 2012 11:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin O'Riordan I hate the typical answer to this question, which is usually Umbridge, because I feel like there's this sexist assumption that being evil AND annoying AND female is a thousand times worse than being evil and male. Voldemort was an unrepentant murderer, guys. They were both cold-hearted, they both tortured people, but he directly killed people on purpose. That's worse. That's a lot worse than liking kittens and wearing unfashionable pink bows.

Jeni I think a lot of the anti-Umbridgeness is due to the fact that her actions really didn't garner a lot of consequences and we love comeuppance. We don't see her punished in any meaningful way and it gnaws at our sense of fairness.

Voldemort, on the other hand, was destroyed, so we feel the closure and are comforted that he isn't out there any longer.

message 10: by Liam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liam Gibbons Umbrige all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 11: by Angeline (last edited Dec 11, 2012 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angeline Joseph Umbridge!
Voldemort might be evil but that's definitely no match against Umbridge.

message 12: by Jannie (last edited Jan 07, 2013 12:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jannie Huang Umbridge she's so EVIL!!!! She's so evil there is no way to describe it.

Olivia Umbridge because she had really no reason to be walking around Hogwarts like she owned the place just because she obviously had an unhealthy obsession with Fudge. Also, her voice is really annoying.

Emily Umbridge!!!!

message 15: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam Umbridge

message 16: by M.R. (new) - rated it 3 stars

M.R. Graham Erin wrote: "I hate the typical answer to this question, which is usually Umbridge, because I feel like there's this sexist assumption that being evil AND annoying AND female is a thousand times worse than bein..."

I don't feel like it has much to do with her sex. Being evil and annoying is certainly a worse crime for a fictional character than being evil and compelling. There's also a certain dishonesty to the character; she puts on the "cute" veneer as though she thinks kittens and pink bows make her a legitimately good person, and she genuinely does not seem to understand why the students despise her. Voldemort is very forthright about his cruelty.
If it were real life, certainly, Voldemort would be the worse of the two. He is extremely dangerous and has to be defeated. In literature, though, Voldemort drives the plot and provides a sense of epic scale to the conflict. Umbridge is despicable partly because of the pettiness of her crimes.

Daisy97 Zajicek Voldemort! Umbridge was bad, but... I definitely wanted Voldemort dead more than her.

message 18: by MsTee (last edited Dec 13, 2012 01:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MsTee If Umbridge wanted to, she could have become the new Dark Lord Lady, and it would've been WORSE for everyone (even the Death Eaters!) involved. That woman was scarier than Voldy. <- See, it's even easy to make a pet name for Voldemort, but where's the pet names for Umbridge???

message 19: by M.R. (new) - rated it 3 stars

M.R. Graham Umbry? .__.

message 20: by Maud (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maud Umbridge, gosh she was just horrible!
Of course Voldemort had to die, he is the bad guy but Umbridge was just annoying in the worst way I have ever in my whole reading life have read!

Diane UMBRIDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( sorry about the yelling )

Holly Erin wrote: "I hate the typical answer to this question, which is usually Umbridge, because I feel like there's this sexist assumption that being evil AND annoying AND female is a thousand times worse than bein..."

My answer is Umbridge, and yes, the reason is generated by sexism. I expect women to be better human beings than men and when they are not, I tend to judge them more harshly. I also suspect that if Umbridge had the same powers as Voldemort she would have abused them more widely and frequently than he did.....a complete bloodbath. Voldemort did horrible things for the sake of his ambition, but I think Umbridge would have committed worse atrocities because she was just cruel.

message 23: by Olivia (new) - added it

Olivia Parsons Umbridge for sure, man.

message 24: by Pam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pam Umbridge.

Julia Umbridge was just a pawn on the chessboard. So Voldermort.

Mahita If at the end of Order Of Phoenix - definitely, I would have wanted Umbridge to be a done deal.

If at the end of Harry Potter series, I have to make a choice between Umbridge and Voldemort, I would definitely say Voldemort.

Vampirelol Definetly Voldemort bc voldemort is the most evil black magic in teh wizard world and umbridge is just a teacher she can get caught and get jail or something but voldemort is super fast and EVIL!!!!!!

message 28: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate Oh Umbridge definitely.

Isaac umbridge, i know its the wrong answer but i really hate her

Paola Umbridge!

message 31: by Jonny (last edited Dec 14, 2012 05:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jonny Umbridge because Voldemort is the very evil guy in the books, so he probably would die no matter what. most books end with a happy ending.

message 32: by AA (last edited Oct 19, 2014 08:14PM) (new) - added it

AA The Awesome Umbridge!! let me explain
With Voldemort it's kinda annoying that he lasts seven books but there's four books before thus I get used to Voldemort being alive and accepted that he is going last.
But Umbridge is a new hateful character that . Lets say after torturing her extensively should be killed muaahahahahaha
-A

message 33: by AA (last edited Oct 19, 2014 08:15PM) (new) - added it

AA The Awesome Spoiler little for whoever didn't finish the series
But that is only in the Oder of Phoenix in the last one definetly Voldemort after he caused the death of Lupin and Dobby And Fred (and so many others):(
-A

message 34: by Shii (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shii undoubtfully umbridge> she has that sickly sweetness to her i cant stand. the type that will smile and make conversation while they FREAKIN TRY TO KILL u! screw voldermort umbidge is CAPITAL EVIL!!!!!!

Amanda (BookMuffins) Umbridge.

In a sort of twisted, strange way, I feel sorry for Voldemort. He's never known what love really is, and he's quite desperate to kill Mr. Potter.

But Umbridge, on the other hand, she's just an irritating, vain, kiss-up, narcissistic, evil thing, who seems to have no purpose in life except to torture small children by forcing them to cut themselves with magic.

Taylor Michaels Umbridge. I don't think the answer has anything to do with gender.

Umbridge pretended to be a good person and wasn't. She was evil and dishonest about it.

Voldemort never pretended to be good, he was always a bad guy. He was evil and honest about it.

Tamara Figueroa Umbridge

message 38: by Rj (new) - added it

Rj Adams I am going to have to say Voldemort. Mainly due to the fact that I think Umbridge is better punished by Peeves chasing her, centaurs kidnapping her, and various children setting off fireworks. I honestly think that leaving her alive is worse for her than death just because so many people don't like her.

Swathika Rj wrote: "I am going to have to say Voldemort. Mainly due to the fact that I think Umbridge is better punished by Peeves chasing her, centaurs kidnapping her, and various children setting off fireworks. I ho..."

I truly agree. aVADA kEDAVRA TO vOLDY!

Shilpi Gupta Umbridge.. she is sickly evil and her nose .. baaahhhhh

Khushboo umbridge........... she is damn evil

Katie Taylor wrote: "Umbridge. I don't think the answer has anything to do with gender.

Umbridge pretended to be a good person and wasn't. She was evil and dishonest about it.

Voldemort never pretended to be good, he..."

EXACTLY!!

message 43: by Izzy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Izzy Voldemort because he was the most evil black magic wizard in the world.

message 44: by Arya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arya Lol, Umbridge... Through and through...

isilee I wanted bellatrix dead the most. ***spoiler***She killed Sirius!!!!! I loved him :(

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Bellatrix!

But if I ONLY had Umbridge and Voldemort to pick from....I should probably say Voldemort because it would save so much pain and death, but I'm more tempted to say Umbridge because her thinly disguised evil and incessant arrogance make my blood boil.

message 47: by Baby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Baby Definitely Umbridge, she was straight up awful

Sophie Umbridge.

Although Voldemort is by far more evil - at least he isn't running the school or influencing the Government! The wizards and witches have to hear about her constantly! I hate her more than Voldemort, and that is saying a lot.

Godiva3 Umbridge!

message 50: by Ruth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruth Well, I knew Voldemort had to last until the last book, so I wanted Umbridge to go first.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (other topics)