The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Baldur's Gate Enhance Edition

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robert Nasuti (rlnasuti) | 30 comments I'm not sure if anyone else was as huge a fan of this game when they were younger as I was, but I've been following this since they announced it months ago.

I decided to hold off and get it for my iPad because I think the experience will be simply amazing. I've been "patiently" waiting as it's release got pushed back again and again.

For anyone who is in the same boat as me, I'm pleased to announce that as of an hour ago IT'S OUT IT'S OUT! THEY RELEASED IT AND I'M STUCK AT WORK!!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

http://www.cultofmac.com/204971/baldu...

terpkristin | 2743 comments Really? I was supposed to get an email from them when it was out, and I got nothing!

message 3: by Jlawrence, S&L Forum Mod (last edited Dec 07, 2012 09:16AM) (new)

Jlawrence | 802 comments Mod
I'm tempted by the convenience of playing BG on an ipad, but I have already bought BG1 & BG2 from a gog.com sale some time back (includes the expansion packs), and still have not played them. Just last night I loaded them up with these recommended mods (BGT cooly joins 1 & 2 into one single game), so I'm going to have a spin with them that way.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah I was looking at it on GOG as well, I just have to get through my Steam sale games first but its definitely on my list.

Daran | 514 comments Still no Android release. /sad

message 6: by Rik (last edited Dec 11, 2012 02:13AM) (new)

Rik | 501 comments I bought it as I love the old game but really there isn't anything special about this new enhanced version. Its exactly the same graphically with the only changes being three new NPC's and some BGII backwards modifications (you now can start as a specialized class but you could already do that if you just downloaded a mod). The new NPC's only add about two hours TOTAL between all three of new gameplay. Plus the voice acting on the wild mage is horrible as she sounds like a 15 year old teen. . . I'm just waiting for her to gush about Justin Bieber I'm now about 80% through having just finished all the Tales of the Sword Coast stuff and getting ready to go back to Candlekeep and other than what I've mentioned there have been zero enhancements or changes.

Its still Baldur's Gate which means it oozes awesomeness but really I'm not sure it was worth it except that it got me playing a game again I probably hadn't played in seven or eight years. Though it is nice not having to switch discs.

If anyone does buy it be aware that there was a game killing bug in the initial release depending on your video card. Anytime you went to your inventory your mouse cursor would disappear and you had to force close the game via ctrl-alt-del. They patched it within days with a workaround but to make it work you have to go into the settings before you play and click the option about disabling your mouse hardware . . . yeah its badly worded because your mouse still works and now works fine with the game.

Gord McLeod (mcleodg) | 345 comments I have the iPad version and it is gorgeous. The interface they've come up with for touch is really nice, with the one caveat that sometimes selecting really small objects can be tricky. I'm playing on an iPad 2, so this problem might be worse on an iPad Mini. Highly recommended.

Also, Daran, they're working on Android. Trent Oster tweeted earlier that they're killing bugs in it.

Kamil | 372 comments Gord wrote: "I have the iPad version and it is gorgeous. The interface they've come up with for touch is really nice, with the one caveat that sometimes selecting really small objects can be tricky. I'm playing..."

not fair! killing bugs was a good way to earn experience

Daran | 514 comments Gord wrote: "Also, Daran, they're working on Android. Trent Oster tweeted earlier that they're killing bugs in it.
"

When I got to play the demo, the release date was Nov. 11, for all platforms. I got the PC version, but I', really looking forward to the portability of one of my favorite games.

Rik | 501 comments Just finished it and did everything along the way. I'm not bashing the game as it was a great game when it came and and is still great but its for all intents the same game as before. As I said, three new characters who add very little to the game, and some backwards BGII modifications like special class are about the only enhanced differences.

If you loved the game before its still great. If you never tried it then its well worth getting. If your expecting something new then its kind of disappointing.

Daniel Palmer | 34 comments I love BG. It was the first computer D&D type game I ever played. I built my first desktop in order to beef up the specs so it played better.

It's still the flat out best group combat system I have ever played, although to be fair I haven't played a PC based game in a very long time.

I bought Neverwinter Nights years back and didn't last an hour with it's stupid turn based system.

Knowing there is an iPad version is almost reason enough to go buy one.

Amy (amychr) | 4 comments I just got this for iPad. I've been really psyched to share BG with friends who never played it when it came out years ago! It's just too bad the text on the iPad mini is so small...... but it's still playable and very faithful to the original.

unread topics | mark unread