Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library discussion

Hush Podcast Discussions > Great Christmas Reads

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lissa (last edited Dec 06, 2012 08:36AM) (new)

Lissa (lissastaley) | 41 comments Mod
Just in time for Christmas! Thad Hartman and Lissa Staley host a (31:31) discussion with a variety of guests about what they read in December. Get inspired with great holiday reads and share your recommendations with us!

Listen here: http://tscpl.org/podcast/hush-a-podca...

Do you like classics like A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens or Twas the Night Before Christmas by Clement Moore or are you into the quirky Christmas reads like An Idiot Girl's Christmas: True Tales from the Top of the Naughty List by Laurie Notaro? What Christmas stories do you remember loving as a young reader -- were you a fan of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson, How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss or did you prefer something sentimental like The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry? And most importantly, have you ever read the book that the famous 1983 movie A Christmas Story is based on -- Jean Shepherd's In God we Trust, All Others Pay Cash?

What do you love to read or re-read at the holidays?

Kelli (KelliSmith) | 173 comments Mod
I forgot about the The Best/Worst Christmas Pageant Ever. I loved that book!

Melanie | 189 comments I haven't read a lot of Christmas books. One that I read a few years ago was A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg. It is about a small town, a little redbird, and a miracle. I download O. Henry's The Gift of the Magi to read - it has been in my head before listening to the Podcast. I also plan to read Kate Jacobs' Knit the Season which is 3rd book to the Friday Night Knitting Club.

Shari Schawo | 8 comments Mod
The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore Hi-larious. Zombies, Santa, it is my kind of Christmas tale.

Vikki (VikkiHoran) | 6 comments Mod
Christmas short stories are a tradition of mine for Decembers. I usually read one short story a night in December. My favorites are by Joe Wheeler. This year I read Especially at Christmas by Celestine Sibley. It was totally delightful. Now two new books have come in for me: The Christmas Kid by Pete Hamill and A Christmas Hope by Joseph Pittman. I can't wait to get to them!

unread topics | mark unread