The Sword and Laser discussion

Official: The Sword & Laser Anthology

Comments (showing 1-50 of 398) (398 new)    post a comment »

Gord McLeod (mcleodg) | 345 comments I'm already sharpening my ... um ... keyboard. That doesn't work, but you know what I mean.

Casey Hampton (caseyhampton) | 634 comments Oh this will be fun!

Robert Collins | 69 comments What a cool idea!

Tamahome | 4438 comments I assume Veronica will have a V. Fantasy story.

Jane Higginson | 160 comments excited.com!

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 639 comments How fun would it be to have all the authors that get selected on a video show?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

There going to be a central theme?

Ruth (till-tab) | 1052 comments This sounds cool. Not sure yet if I'll contribute, but would love to read everyone's stories. :D

message 10: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (last edited Dec 06, 2012 03:38AM) (new)

Rob (robzak) | 2634 comments Mod
Alex wrote: "How fun would it be to have all the authors that get selected on a video show?"

I second Alex's idea! You could do a big google hangout or something.

Anne Schuessler (anneschuessler) | 638 comments Awesome. Now I need to think about a story.

message 12: by Jlawrence, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Jlawrence | 807 comments Mod
Must stop thinking about mess of NaNoWriMo novel and start thinking of a story to write! *mental gears grind, but happily*

David(LA,CA) (DavidScharf) | 315 comments Gah. I was hoping to have more time to get some writing practice before this happened.

message 14: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1085 comments Mod
David(LA,CA) wrote: "Gah. I was hoping to have more time to get some writing practice before this happened."

Well, hopefully it won't be the last time!

Dan Polley (polleydan) | 22 comments #mansquee

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments Rob wrote: "Alex wrote: "How fun would it be to have all the authors that get selected on a video show?"

I second Alex's idea! You could do a big google hangout or something."

That's a potentially big hangout. If every selected story was up around the 7,000 mark, it could be ten or twelve people, but, more likely, we'd have around twenty people... or a relatively short anthology.

This could get competitive; if the people here who have shared story ideas in the past can write half as well as their idea-making is, there'll be a lot of good stories to choose from.

Happy writing to everyone!

David(LA,CA) (DavidScharf) | 315 comments John wrote: "That's a potentially big hangout. If every selected story was up around the 7,000 mark, it could be ten or twelve people, but, more likely, we'd have around twenty people... or a relatively short anthology."

Perhaps it could be broken down by category. A video with the Sword authors, a different one with the Laser authors.

Although that means double the work.

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments David(LA,CA) wrote: "Perhaps it could be broken down by category. A video with the Sword authors, a different one with the Laser authors."

That could work. Although, thinking about it, I'm not sure I'd want my mug on camera if my story gets selected...

...for all your sakes.

message 19: by Walter (last edited Dec 28, 2012 11:09PM) (new)

Walter (walterwoods) | 144 comments I'd better get to work.

Gord McLeod (mcleodg) | 345 comments Alex wrote: "How fun would it be to have all the authors that get selected on a video show?"

Oh. Hrm. Um. Er.
Awesome, nervous breakdown time. ;)

Daran | 526 comments I might have a work I'd like to submit. In any case, it will be interesting to see what kind of anthology this community will produced. A diverse and creative one certainly.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1813 comments What about poetry?

Jonathan | 183 comments Hmmm. I better get to work then.

Matthew (MatthewDL) | 166 comments This is a brilliant idea. I'm so excited to see what we come up with.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Jenny wrote: "What about poetry?"

Or Limericks?

There once was a girl from Raxacoricofallapatorius...

P. Aaron Potter (PAaronPotter) | 585 comments Oh I am Sooooo in.

Darren Humphries (Darrenhf) | 95 comments Damn! I just put all my short stories in my own collection (and I mean literally yesterday). Have to hope inspiration strikes anew.

message 28: by Tamahome (last edited Dec 08, 2012 05:35AM) (new)

Tamahome | 4438 comments Or art? Not that I can draw better than xkcd.

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments I am just going to hyperventilate and flap my arms and worry about failure.

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments Just out of curiosity, is anyone planning to share their stories with the community?

I'm not suggesting we should or shouldn't, just wondered if anyone planned to.

Gord McLeod (mcleodg) | 345 comments I habitually share all of my work, but wasn't planning to share the piece for the S&L anthology because they're specifically asking for unpublished. (I guess we need to clarify what's meant by published in this context.)

If sharing to the community here is okay, then I'd have no problem doing so.

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments Good point, I never thought about the fact that posting on a public forum is technically "publishing" it.

That probably answers that question :D

Jason Bergman (loonyboi) | 161 comments Serious question!

Will only stories that explicitly fall into "Sword" and "Laser" be considered?

What about say, urban fantasy? (Think Dresden Files) Or something with Cthulhu?

message 34: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (last edited Dec 10, 2012 04:32AM) (new)

Rob (robzak) | 2634 comments Mod
Jason wrote: "What about say, urban fantasy?"

We just read The Dirty Streets of Heaven in November, which is Urban Fantasy.

And a bunch of us read and discussed the latest Dresden book Cold Days here. But it wasn't an official club pick.

I can only assume those types of stories would be considered.

Jason Bergman (loonyboi) | 161 comments Rob wrote: "I can only assume those types of stories would be considered. "

I would too, but there's no guarantee. I could easily see this being strictly Sword/Laser to keep it focused.

Paul | 97 comments Jenny wrote: "What about poetry?"

There once was a Hobbit called Sam
Who was an ace with a knife and a pan.
His deserts were delicious
His pies were nutritious
But his spuds always turned into jam.

Raphael | 14 comments I've got a good 'laser' submission if I can find it.

Jeremie | 24 comments Jason wrote: "What about say, urban fantasy?"

Urban fantasy is still fantasy.
2. Genres: science fiction, fantasy, and everything in between.
So I think even if your fantasy has no sword in it, it would be considered.

Jonathan | 183 comments I've got more dark fantasy/horror. So hopefully the submission definition of genre isn't strict.

Daniel McMillan (Nerdtek) | 18 comments Dan wrote: "#mansquee"

lol that's a new one!! love it!

Shaline Lopez | 38 comments I am excited about this. I really want to make it happen, and I'm looking forward to reading everyone's submissions. I hope the ones that don't get picked can be posted here when all is said and done.

Dan Polley (polleydan) | 22 comments Daniel wrote: "Dan wrote: "#mansquee"

lol that's a new one!! love it!"

Thank you! Coined by a Twitter friend.

message 43: by Tamahome (last edited Dec 11, 2012 11:33PM) (new)

Tamahome | 4438 comments I think that's the sound Paul Cornell makes on Sfsqueecast.

message 44: by Michael (last edited Dec 12, 2012 07:39AM) (new)

Michael Underwood | 101 comments I don't see a need to gender squee. Its power belongs to all of us.

And in other news, I am totally going to make sure a story is available when the submission window comes along.

Tamahome | 4438 comments Is this just going to be like a free ebook?

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments Tamahome wrote: "Is this just going to be like a free ebook?"

We haven't really got any details, yet. This post seemed more aimed at getting us thinking about what we're going to write.

Given that Tom and Veronica are creatures of modern media, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like a free eBook edition that anyone can downloaded, and then, perhaps, a paid for digital version (maybe with some little extras), and print editions.

Thinking about it, that would probably be a good way to go; the free edition means we can all read it, and those who want to support the Sword & Laser community can just buy the book in one form or another for the heck of it.

Who knows, if the book makes a lot of actual profit, "What Are We Drinking" might make a suddenly upmarket turn :D

J. Alberto (Dhiok) | 71 comments I'm guessing that the people who'd be most interested in buying the printed version, would be the ones that got their stories picked. I know I would.

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments Jesús wrote: "I'm guessing that the people who'd be most interested in buying the printed version, would be the ones that got their stories picked. I know I would."

I'd hope the stories would be picked on their own quality. But, aside from that, your guess would mean we'd have to commit to buy the print edition before it's even written!

David Sven (Gorro) | 1551 comments Hmm, would a Horror story inspired by Red Dead Redemption count?

Bryek | 271 comments Awesome. I have an idea but I can never seem to keep my beginning below 7000 words... Anyone have any suggestions on some good anthologies (preferably fantasy) so I can get a better idea on how anthologies read/set up? I haven't read one in over 10 years...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8