David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

The Book Thief
This topic is about The Book Thief
Archive's > The Book Thief

Comments (showing 1-50 of 92) (92 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 8486 comments Mod
My favorite book of the year. By far. Yeah, I completely and utterly fell in love with every single character (at least the main ones). In the end I loved Liesel's adopted mom the best, she was so mean at first but ended up having the biggest heart. I cried multiple times :)

Sara | 15 comments I need to get this. I keep hearing so many great things about it:)

Katrina Welsh (KatrinaWelsh_) All time favourite book ever in the whole entire world because it is amazing and brilliant and RUDY!

Lynxie | 11 comments I agree it was one of the best books! I loved Hans the best. I adored him!! :D

message 5: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes Sara, you've got to, sooo amazing!!

Aww Rudy, love him, so funny, cracked me up the antics they got into LOL

And Hans, my gosh, he was amazing!! An absolutely perfect human being. My wife, Adele, is reading it right now. I practically forced her lol, she's glad I did!

message 6: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hey, have any of you read or seen the movie The Boy in the Striped Pajamas? Omg I saw the movie yesterday, it was so heartbreaking and reminded me of The Book Thief, not because they're similar, but just because of the historical time period.

Kristina | 99 comments I have this book but need to read it.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is such a touching and tragic movie. Touches on so many emotions. Love it.

message 8: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I was so moved by it too. Definitely shed some tears.

I really hope you like The Book Thief as much as me :)

Chiqui (thisischiqui) | 55 comments Yesss a friend of mine rec'ed me this book and I loved it, it's one of my favorite books of all time. It has such wonderful prose and the end made me cry irl. ;u;

Katelyn Broad (katelynb) | 356 comments I actually loved this book. I really enjoyed the writing and the characters were awesome. I may or may not have cried... haha.

Katrina Welsh (KatrinaWelsh_) Have you guys read his other books? They're not as amazing as Book Thief but they're still pretty good. I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak comes the closest to the brilliance that is Book Thief

message 12: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh my gosh, I totally cried too!! And it is one of my favorite books of all time as well.

Katrina, before I had read The Book Thief I had the chance to buy a used copy of The Messenger for $1 and I didn't get it! Stupid! I was so mad after I realized how brilliant Zuzak is. I'll get it soon though :)

L.W. Patricks | 19 comments This was by far the best YA book I've read in a long time. I rarely have the urge to cry while reading, but some scenes moved me to tears. I love the narrator and Zusak's ability to paint scenes with his words. I was mesmerized from the beginning. Definitely has a permanent spot on my shelf along with Life of Pi, Game of Thrones, and Blood Meridian (latter two aren't really YA lol).

message 14: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes!!! So right LW, I'm glad you felt it the same way I did. I was moved to tears. My favorite book all year

message 15: by Karen, Red Rising Won for January's BotM! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen | 5829 comments Mod
Haven't read this one yet but sounds like I'd best get to it!!!

message 16: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen wrote: "Haven't read this one yet but sounds like I'd best get to it!!!"

Oh my gosh, so good! I wish I could teleport my copy to you, in looking at it right now. Or I could use Wonkavision :) Unfortunately sending it via snail mail from Mexico would be quite difficult lol

Rachel R. (My Book Empire) (Rachel_R) | 14 comments Been reading great reviews about this! Wish I had a copy. Lol will add this to my wishlist!

Katrina Welsh (KatrinaWelsh_) Have you guys heard that they're making a movie about this? I'm not really sure if Book Thief is the kind of book that will translate well into a movie. I think the director will be the guy that does Downton Abbey. Thoughts?

message 19: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sorry Katrina, just saw your question or I totally would have answered write away! Hmmm very tough one to make into a movie. I thought The Boy in the Striped Pajamas movie was ok or even pretty good, but it would still worry me that The Book Thief wouldn't make that good of a movie unless its extremely well done :)

Tay (iCantHelpButLuvBooks) | 214 comments haha, I remember reading this last year, and loving it! Now I can hardly pick out the details. Ill have to read it again!!!

Katrina Welsh (KatrinaWelsh_) Yeah. So many things can go wrong so quickly. I'd the it to be a flop like Percy Jackson or something.

message 22: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ugh Percy Jackson makes me cringe. It should've been more Harry Potter like. Instead it was a disaster.

message 23: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

But the PJ books are awesome!!!

Katrina Welsh (KatrinaWelsh_) I know! They've wasted a GREAT series. They're giving it another go though with Sea of Monsters. I'm quite surprised they're willing to spend more money on this since everyone hated Lightning Thief. For their sake as much as it is ours, I hope it ends up being brilliant.

message 25: by Karen, Red Rising Won for January's BotM! (new) - rated it 5 stars

I soooo need to read this one next!!

message 26: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen wrote: "I soooo need to read this one next!!"

Lol read it read it!!

message 27: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yay!!! I know, so cool right? Everything about the book was unique and likeable. Tough story to tell, but he told it brilliantly :)

message 28: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Omg you're so right, that book is so quoteable!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1357 comments Katrina wrote: "Have you guys read his other books? They're not as amazing as Book Thief but they're still pretty good. I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak comes the closest to the brilliance that is Book Thief"

I loved I Am the Messenger and even enjoyed his Wolf Brothers books :)

Chris Sorensen (csorensen) | 218 comments David wrote: "Hey, have any of you read or seen the movie The Boy in the Striped Pajamas? Omg I saw the movie yesterday, it was so heartbreaking and reminded me of The Book Thief, not because they're similar, bu..."

Great movie, really moving and touching. Everyone has said nothing about good things about The Book Thief. Yet ANOTHER book to read...[sigh]. :-)

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1357 comments Chris wrote: "David wrote: "Hey, have any of you read or seen the movie The Boy in the Striped Pajamas? Omg I saw the movie yesterday, it was so heartbreaking and reminded me of The Book Thief, not because they'..."

I HIGHLY recommend it and when that happens you better duck because I get kind of relentless when I love a book :) I am harmless I swear!

Chris Sorensen (csorensen) | 218 comments haha - I'll keep that in mind (he says while ducking)...

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1357 comments You can run but you can't hide just ask poor David!

message 34: by Karen, Red Rising Won for January's BotM! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Watch out for Heidi!! I just barely escaped the naughty corner because I'm finally reading this book!

message 35: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh my gosh run Chris, she's got her laser sight on you!!!

message 36: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (last edited Jan 23, 2013 08:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

But her darts aren't filled with poison but with awesome books, so really you're better off sticking the fleshy part of your buttocks out and catching the shot there lol!!

message 37: by Karen, Red Rising Won for January's BotM! (new) - rated it 5 stars

David wrote: "But her darts aren't filled with poison but with awesome books, so really you're better off sticking the fleshy part of your buttocks out and catching the shot there lol!!"

That was the oddest mental image ever! Hahahahah!

message 38: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hahaha!! It's getting late and I'm going wacky ;) Time to read lol!

message 39: by Karen, Red Rising Won for January's BotM! (new) - rated it 5 stars

About halfway through now. Heidi and David, if I ever take this long to read one of your "relentless" recommends again, please shoot me in my fleshy part of my buttocks with Heidi's non- poisonous darts! ;-)

message 40: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hahahaha!!!

Amy (Demonkittie) (Demonkittie) | 60 comments My friend texted me that she saw this book laying around at her kids school today and was tempted to steal it. I am such a dork because I laughed about that for over 5 minutes.

message 42: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lol!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1357 comments Oh my gosh! I am kind of glad I read these comments in the cold light of day. I am slighlty worried about your nightime activities now David. hahaha

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1357 comments Chris wrote: "haha - I'll keep that in mind (he says while ducking)..."

Did you read it yet? hahahaha

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1357 comments Karen wrote: "About halfway through now. Heidi and David, if I ever take this long to read one of your "relentless" recommends again, please shoot me in my fleshy part of my buttocks with Heidi's non- poisonous..."

Yay (I think??)

message 46: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Heidi (up to no good) wrote: "Oh my gosh! I am kind of glad I read these comments in the cold light of day. I am slighlty worried about your nightime activities now David. hahaha"

I pretty much just sit in front of the computer watching TV with Adele while using my phone for Goodreads and then read when Adele goes to bed haha!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1357 comments Sure David. Sure. *she says as she secretly shakes her head*

message 48: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He is TheBomb.com! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haha!!

Bookgeek_zah | 20 comments i love this book too, left me in tears, haunted me several nights. Oh! It's also written by an Aussie <3!!

message 50: by Karen, Red Rising Won for January's BotM! (new) - rated it 5 stars

OMG.... This book was A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!

« previous 1

David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

I Am the Messenger (other topics)