The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > What Else Are You Reading - December 2012

Comments (showing 1-50 of 252) (252 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3002 comments New month! I'm still working on Dark Pursuit: The Lost Shinmahs, written by one of our own. I'm enjoying it well enough. I'm also listening to Blackbirds though since I haven't had much driving to do, I haven't had much chance to listen. I'll start The Hobbit soon. I have it in audio and print,not sure which I'll do.

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim | 404 comments This month I want to finish A Confederacy of Dunces and A Canticle for Leibowitz.

For my book clubs I shall hopefully read On the Road, The Diamond Age and No Orchids For Miss Blandish.

message 3: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments I'm finishing The Dirty Streets of Heaven, then I have Dragon Haven queued up and ready to read. Hopefully I should get the Tad Williams book done in the next few days, not least because the library want it back.

message 4: by Josh (new)

Josh Lovvorn (Estlinska) | 9 comments Having loved the Mistborn novels, I just picked up and sped through the Alloy of Law. I was pretty disappointed overall with the effort. Maybe I had expectations that were a little too high. Plus I really just don't like the Western motif; in general I don't like the Western stuff. Except for Tombstone.

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1142 comments I'm very ambitious right now. I'm reading both The Hobbit and God's War on my Nook. I've got The Rook in hardback and am listening to Cold Days on my iPod.

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 929 comments Josh wrote: "Having loved the Mistborn novels, I just picked up and sped through the Alloy of Law. I was pretty disappointed overall with the effort. Maybe I had expectations that were a little too high. Plus I..."

I also felt the same way. I love the Mistborn Trilogy, and had high hopes for the Alloy of Law. Pre-ordered the book on Amazon, and quickly read it, but I felt the book was too cliche.

message 7: by library_jim (new)

library_jim | 212 comments Just finished Caliban's War and deWitt's The Sister's Brothers which I thought was just amazing. Now onto Guards! Guards! and Old Man's War. Oh, and I'm reading the most recent Nick Hornby collection of his Believer essays on reading and Joe Queenan's book on reading, One for the Books. And The Deathly Hallows out loud to my daughter.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1908 comments Now that NaNoWriMo is over, I'm going to try to get through some of the books I have through NetGalley, since they expire and all.

The Mad Scientist’s Daughter - read this last night and haven't written the review yet but for a sex with an android book, it's pretty thought provoking.

Nexus by Ramez Naam - only about 1/4 in, interesting experiment in shared consciousness and the ethical-political dangers

The Dervish - a novel set during the "first Arab spring," 1923.

Infidel by Kameron Hurley, getting ready for book #3

And just finished The World Jones Made by PKD for an SFF Audio readalong.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll be starting The Hobbit soon and then I'll be going through WoT this month as well so I'll be caught up for the final book next month.

message 10: by Daran (new)

Daran | 584 comments Kevin wrote: "Josh wrote: "Having loved the Mistborn novels, I just picked up and sped through the Alloy of Law. I was pretty disappointed overall with the effort. Maybe I had expectations that were a little too..."

I'm surprised, I thought alloy was wonderful. Sanderson is much better at character development than he was when he did Mistborn, and he's less caught up in the mechanics of his magic system than he was.

Of course, it could just be that I love westerns.

message 11: by RuthAnn (new)

RuthAnn | 9 comments Josh wrote: "Having loved the Mistborn novels, I just picked up and sped through the Alloy of Law. I was pretty disappointed overall with the effort. Maybe I had expectations that were a little too high. Plus I..."

I agree. I wasn't a huge fan of The Alloy of Law, either, but I've enjoyed nearly everything else in the Sanderson catalog. I do have The Way of Kings downloaded, I just haven't had the proper motivation to begin that tome. I'll probably push it off until January 2013.

message 12: by Josh (new)

Josh Lovvorn (Estlinska) | 9 comments I've also had The Way of Kings for a while but I have been hesitant to start it. I'm already beholden to Rothfuss and Martin and I don't want to be waiting on 3 series to eek along.

message 13: by Spencer (last edited Dec 02, 2012 10:19AM) (new)

Spencer (SpenceCarter) | 12 comments I've got a good list for this month that I'm in process with: Caliban's War, The Dreaming Void (audio), The Passage, and Grave Peril along with The Hobbit

There are a few but I'm almost finished with The Dreaming Void as well as The Passage. The others are only a few chapters in...

message 14: by Pedro (new)

Pedro António | 64 comments Currently reading A Crown of Swords, for the first time we don't have physical traits for characters that have been around for over 5000 pages being repeated for the millionth time, thank you!

Next I'll either read this month's bookclub pick The Hobbit or give Catching Fire a shot, even though I wasn't too impressed with the first.

message 15: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Watson | 81 comments Reading Empire (In Her Name: Redemption) by Michael Hicks, and Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling. Started both in early November, but reading time has been scarce these days.

message 16: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (WalterSpence) | 429 comments A bit over halfway through Jim Butcher's Storm Front. After that I'll most likely take some of my own advice and read two of this month's Indie Book Club reads, Lisa Williamson's Endings and Jade Kerrion's Perfection Unleashed.

message 17: by Dara (new)

Dara (hd2185) | 1252 comments Just started Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey. After that, I might try to read The Hobbit quickly. December is too busy for me to read a lot.

message 18: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (JennyK89) | 92 comments I'm reading The Quantum Thief and I'm listening to From Dead to Worse on audio.

message 19: by Daniel (new)

Daniel McMillan (Nerdtek) | 18 comments I'm reading Azincourt, Gates of Fire, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, and Living Dead in Dallas (Hey don't judge me! ;-) ) The last one is just a little guilty pleasure because I enjoy the True Blood tv series.

message 20: by Dave (new)

Dave | 28 comments Just finished Brandon Sanderson's novella The Emperor's Soul. Intriguing magic system but a little too much explaining going on. Still, I hope he revisits the world and setting.

Working my way through the Blade of the Immortal manga series. A little too much of the main character getting chopped up and then defeating his foes. Great art, nonetheless.

message 21: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I'm reading The Book Thief, which one of the girls in work leant to months ago. I'm starting to get into it but I still find the style a little irritating.

Not sure if I'm going to get round to re-reading The Hobbit, I still haven't started by Wheel of Time re-read, which is going to have to be seriously abridged at this stage.

message 22: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 212 comments Still splitting time between The Blade Itself on Audible, Cold Days & The 4-Hour Chef on Kindle.

message 23: by Owen (new)

Owen | 12 comments Just finished The Hobbit so probably going to contiune with the first Game of Thrones for now. I want to start something else but I'm not sure what yet...Will have to browse my to read list tonight :)

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Still reading Brandon Sanderson Warbreaker, im enjoying it, it is a little slow but its still engaging. Im not reading as much at the moment, for the first time in years i'm actually watching more films and playing more games and not feeling like reading weird right. Looking forward to the Old Mans War though and sequel.

message 25: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1456 comments Already finished this months S&L read The Hobbit. Continuing to work my way through Naked Empire in dead tree edition, Dracula on audiobook and No Orchids For Miss Blandish for my pulp book club.

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (einahpets_reads) | 79 comments I'm reading The Twelve right now. Afterwards I plan to read The Hobbit for the very first time. And then American Gods, which will be my 50th book this year (wee!). I'm hoping I'll finish early enough to also read the ARC of Etiquette & Espionage I got at SD Comic Con. I am thinking my sisters will enjoy Gail Carriger, so I am hoping to pass it along to one of them at Christmas-time. :)

Overall, it has been a good book year for me this year, discovering so many great authors -- mostly through this book club. Thanks everybody for updating on what you are reading here! :)

message 27: by Sara (new)

Sara (medusasmirror) | 43 comments Currently I'm reading The Name of the Wind Patrick Rothfuss, The Next Always by Nora Roberts, Touch of Steel by Kate Cross. I'm also listening to Cinder and A Werewolf in Manhattan.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Josh wrote: "Having loved the Mistborn novels, I just picked up and sped through the Alloy of Law. I was pretty disappointed overall with the effort. Maybe I had expectations that were a little too high. Plus I..."

I kinda know what you mean, I didn't mind it being western in fact I quite liked it also the adjustments to the magic system were fun but I just felt it was a little rushed and the female character just felt too I dont know cartoony maybe, she just didn't feel real to me, I would read a follow on though as im interested in the ending.

message 29: by Mark (new)

Mark Kaye | 104 comments terpkristin wrote: "New month! I'm still working on Dark Pursuit: The Lost Shinmahs, written by one of our own. I'm enjoying it well enough. I'm also listening to Blackbirds though since I haven't had much driving to ..."

Starwars Red Harvest. Finally bought it.

message 30: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3002 comments I finished Dark Pursuit: The Lost Shinmahs (my review) and Blackbirds (my review) this week. I'm still 3 books shy on my goal of reading 52 books this year (which I consider somewhat unfair, given that I actually did read a good bit of The Dirty Streets of Heaven and Tigana but since I didn't finish either, they don't count, officially).

One book will definitely be The Hobbit, which I'll probably do mostly in audio but I also have Kindle and print, too. Not sure what the other 2 will be. Perhaps Blue Remembered Earth in print and another short audiobook...hmm, we shall see.

message 31: by Keith (new)

Keith (Teleport-City) | 260 comments I started and finished Changes on the 3rd and will probably buy and start Ghost Story later today. The growth in that serie sof books -- of the characters, the scope, and the skill of Jim Butcher is impressive. They started out as little more than supernatural potboilers that read like old spy novels from the 60s, but they've become something much more substantial over the years.

Apart from that, I'm reading Lady Chatterley's Lover, because every good libertine should.

message 32: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Rob (robzak) | 3063 comments Mod
Keith wrote: "I started and finished Changes on the 3rd and will probably buy and start Ghost Story later today. The growth in that serie sof books -- of the characters, the scope, and the skill of Jim Butcher is impressive. They started out as little more than supernatural potboilers that read like old spy novels from the 60s, but they've become something much more substantial over the years.."

Just wait! Changes was my favorite book in the series until Cold Days

message 33: by Pedro (new)

Pedro António | 64 comments Just finished Catching Fire and I have to thank the people who told me to give it a shot even if I was disappointed with The Hunger Games once the games started.

I'm still trying to digest how amazing I found the second one to be. It's everything I expected the first one would be and more. Definitely one of the most pleasant surprises I've had this year and I can't recommend it enough to people who've read the first, even if they didn't particularly care once the games started.

Feel free to read my full review by clicking here

Also about halfway done with A Crown of Swords and I'm definitely having some mixed feelings about it, but I'll finish it before forming a proper opinion about it. There have been some amazing moments here and there, but I feel like I'm not getting enough for the amount of pages I'm turning.

message 35: by Daniel (new)

Daniel McMillan (Nerdtek) | 18 comments So I've finished The Hobbit wow after 30 years you forget a lot. It was almost like reading it for the first time. Now it's on to Azincourt.

message 36: by Walter (new)

message 37: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

message 38: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (Asfus) | 64 comments I am reading The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman

message 39: by David(LA,CA) (last edited Dec 06, 2012 09:56AM) (new)

David(LA,CA) (DavidScharf) | 327 comments Daniel wrote: "So I've finished The Hobbit wow after 30 years you forget a lot. It was almost like reading it for the first time."

Totally. I remembered a large amount of the broad plot strokes, but I had completely forgotten alot of the style choices. And the near constant singing.

Finished The Hobbit. Reading The President's Vampire to see if I can finish up the Nathaniel Cade series before the end of the year.

message 41: by Nick (new)

Nick Gilbert | 6 comments Listening to a Christmas Carol as narrated by Tim Curry, and pushing my way through 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, which I may end up Lemming.

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Pedro wrote: "Just finished Catching Fire and I have to thank the people who told me to give it a shot even if I was disappointed with The Hunger Games once the games started.

I'm still trying to digest how am..."

Mm I got the 3 books for £2 in a music store, you make me want to give them a try, I watched the film thought it was ok but it left me with an itch to find out what happened, now you have re awoken that itch with a rave review, will have to go there this christmas.

message 43: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Lucy wrote: "Mm I got the 3 books for £2 in a music store, you make me want to give them a try, I watched the film thought it was ok but it left me with an itch to find out what happened, now you have re awoken that itch with a rave review, will have to go there this christmas. "

But you have 12 more Dresden books to read before you're caught up! :-)

message 44: by Pedro (new)

Pedro António | 64 comments Lucy wrote: "Mm I got the 3 books for £2 in a music store, you make me want to give them a try, I watched the film thought it was ok but it left me with an itch to find out what happened, now you have re awoken that itch with a rave review, will have to go there this christmas. "

I watched the film after reading the book and was a bit disappointed, think the book portrays the issue at hand and the oppression people live in a lot better.

Granted, you always have to cut out a lot from the book when you make a film, but I think they could've done a better job with making you care for the characters.

If you liked the film I thoroughly recommend giving the books a chance (at least up to Catching Fire, starting Mockinjay today).

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Rob wrote: "Lucy wrote: "Mm I got the 3 books for £2 in a music store, you make me want to give them a try, I watched the film thought it was ok but it left me with an itch to find out what happened, now you h..."

Oh no the Dresden Police :) lol

message 46: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Lucy wrote: "Oh no the Dresden Police :) lol "

Ask Traci, she'll tell you. If I see someone talking about Dresden, I'm all over it. ^_^

message 47: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 07, 2012 04:21AM) (new)

haha well its working im now %20 through the second book.

message 48: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1553 comments Finished reading Lois McMaster Bujold's Barrayar.
My review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Rereading Stephen King's The Gunslinger - Childe Dave to the Dark Tower came...again.

message 49: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

David Sven wrote: "
Rereading Stephen King's The Gunslinger - Childe Dave to the Dark Tower came...again."

(view spoiler) :-D

message 50: by Sadie (new)

Sadie Forsythe | 40 comments I'm also reading Pushups in the Prayer Room. It's a travel journal and not at all something I would normally read, but the author sure can write. (Yea, I know that that's a little bit of a ridiculous statement. You know what I mean though.)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dark Pursuit: The Lost Shinmahs (other topics)
Blackbirds (other topics)
The Hobbit (other topics)
A Confederacy of Dunces (other topics)
A Canticle for Leibowitz (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

James S.A. Corey (other topics)
Jim Butcher (other topics)
Adam Christopher (other topics)
James Funfer (other topics)
H. Beam Piper (other topics)
More...