The Sword and Laser discussion

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
This topic is about Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
TV, Movies and Games > Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell Miniseries

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

terpkristin | 3045 comments Apparently the guy who directed Sherlock and at least some of Doctor Who will be directing a BBC miniseries of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. This book repeatedly put me to sleep when I tried to read it (both in print and audio), so I'm not sure I can see it as a mini-series...but then again, made-for-TV things usually eliminate all of the boring parts. Should be interesting to see how it goes and what people think of it...

Story on Tor.com blog.

message 2: by Mark (new) - added it

Mark Catalfano (Cattfish) | 369 comments Ooh! I liked this one!

message 3: by Tamahome (last edited Dec 01, 2012 06:44AM) (new)

Tamahome | 4699 comments Huh. (That's just a statement. Like when Mal first sees River in the ice box. Huh.)

message 4: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new) - added it

Rob (robzak) | 3179 comments Mod
A friend of mine recommended this book. I may have to move it up my to read list. He seemed pretty excited about this news.

message 5: by Emy (last edited Dec 01, 2012 09:05AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emy (EmyPT) | 98 comments I'm intrigued as to how well this will work, but enthusiastic too, since I trust the Beeb with this :D

This was one of those books that if I judged it on the first part, I would have loathed it! I stuck with it just to see what certain people were on about, and I'm really glad I did because the latter part was far more interesting.

message 6: by Procrastinador (new)

Procrastinador Diletante | 104 comments Great news! I really like the book and universe!

André

Leavey | 81 comments Yay! I love this book and I love Sherlock!
If this'll be anything less than great, I'll be shocked.

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 363 comments Maybe we should read it, then. :)

Katie (Calenmir) | 211 comments Ooo this could be very fun. I think I remember describing the book to someone as "Jane Austen writing a fantasy/alt-history" sort of thing. It does drag quite a bit in the middle but the beginning and the end are entertaining. A good deal will rest on just how they adapt and edit it.

Linguana | 137 comments I am super excited about this one. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell was one of my recent highlights and if it were for me, it could have gone on for another 1000 pages.

I look forward to the series and I really hope they manage to capture the amazing atmosphere. To me, it felt like a mix between an Austen-esque England and a darkish fairy tale.

message 11: by Moose (new)

Moose (Moosifer) | 1 comments I got about a quarter of the way through the book and just couldn't get further for some reason. Maybe I'll try it again. Does it just start off slow?

terpkristin | 3045 comments Moose wrote: "I got about a quarter of the way through the book and just couldn't get further for some reason. Maybe I'll try it again. Does it just start off slow?"

It's one of those "marmite" books, I think. People seem to love it or be bored to tears by it. I was in the latter category. I thought it started out ok, then got slow, then got ok again, then got REALLY slow, then was ok to the end...but it didn't feel like the journey was worth the destination. I'm intrigued by a miniseries and what they can do with it, but the book...well, I won't read it again, and while I don't think I'd tell someone NOT to read it, I certainly don't go recommending it.

But then, there are people who are the EXACT opposite with regard to the book...as usual, my philosophy is that if you're not feeling it, it's not worth wasting your time with. There's plenty out there that you might like.

Shaina (ShainaEG) | 162 comments I was on the bored to tears list. I stopped about halfway through and tried to pick it up again a few years later and gave up after a few pages. I'm pretty sure that absolutely nothing happened in the half of the book I read. I'll check out the miniseries but I won't touch the book again. Unless of course the miniseries is so good that I have to.

message 14: by Keith (new)

Keith (Teleport-City) | 260 comments The book adopts a pace and style that can be pretty impenetrable. It took me a while to warm to it, but once I did I quite enjoyed the story. I think it could be made into a much more accessible (which should not be equated with dumbed down) television series.

message 15: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed (edwardjsabol) | 169 comments An adaptation for BBC TV is certainly intriguing. I consider it to be one of the top five best fantasy novels I've ever read. I found the writing style to be a delight from start to finish, and the story is ultimately gut-wrenching and poignant. It's one of the best examples of fantasy world-building since Tolkien. But I realize it's not the sort of thing for everyone.

terpkristin | 3045 comments For anybody who wants to read the book and hasn't bought it yet, the book is one of Amazon's Kindle Daily Deals in the US today (12/15/12): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003...

message 17: by Emy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Emy (EmyPT) | 98 comments Moose wrote: "I got about a quarter of the way through the book and just couldn't get further for some reason. Maybe I'll try it again. Does it just start off slow?"

In my opinion, yes. I nearly gave up quite a few times on the first half if I'm honest...

message 18: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 4699 comments Sounds like you need the patience of Tom to read it.

Matthew | 14 comments I thought that this book was fantastic. It has a great mix of alternate history and fantasy. While the pacing of the book can be slow at parts I never found it boring. If you are looking for an action packed sword and sorcery book this is not for you but if you are looking for a great story I must recommend it. I also think it could make a great miniseries especially all of the scenes set during the war in France.

message 20: by AndrewP (last edited Dec 17, 2012 08:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1499 comments terpkristin wrote: "For anybody who wants to read the book and hasn't bought it yet, the book is one of Amazon's Kindle Daily Deals in the US today (12/15/12): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003......"

Thank you. It's on the NPR Top 100 SF/Fantasy book list so I want to give it a try.

message 21: by Joe Informatico (last edited Dec 17, 2012 12:07PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 774 comments I liked it, though I needed to do the audio version. And I definitely think there's an audience for this. Period costume drama with magic and faeries? Should I call it Dresden Abbey or the Downton Files?

message 22: by Paul (new)

Paul | 100 comments Well, I like Marmite, and also loved this book.

FWIW for British readers, please don't buy from Amazontaxdodgers.co.uk

Brandon (brandonpatrick) | 4 comments Sorry to revive an old topic, but this news has made my day!

Just started reading the book this weekend; after I found out the premise, I couldn't pass it up, and only 10% into my loaned copy, I've ordered my own.

I'm surprised people aren't giving Susanna Clarke more credit for the sarcastic wit in the book, which is probably my favorite element. Still, I can see why its mild manners would bore some fantasy readers.

There are plenty of grandiose epics out there -- it's nice to find a stand-alone that doesn't take itself too seriously.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell (other topics)