The Sword and Laser discussion

The Dirty Streets of Heaven (Bobby Dollar, #1)
This topic is about The Dirty Streets of Heaven
150 views
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #115 - Ghallu Everyone!

Comments (showing 1-30 of 30) (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca, S&L Forum Mod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becca (Becca_Canote) | 101 comments Mod
On this episode we breakdown the Tolkien estate case against Warner Brothers, debate the origins of the Ghallu, and even figure out the January book pick! Also Tom has a Snow Day. But it's not what you think. It's BETTER!

http://www.swordandlaser.com/home/201...

Enjoy!


terpkristin | 2692 comments Episode 11, eh? :D


Kris (KVolk) | 761 comments Awesome show, lots of fun and I can't wait to hear from Nick!!


Lepton | 176 comments K Dicking?? Really??

Perverts!!


message 5: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 27, 2012 10:09PM) (new) - added it

Tamahome | 4345 comments OMW!!!!!!!

Btw Sffaudio is scheduled to record a Philip K. Dick readalong of 'The World Jones Made' this Sunday, but I think it'll come out a week later.


Andy (Andy_M) | 187 comments Yay Nick!

And I am really happy that I bought into the Humble Bundle books earlier so that I have a copy of Old Man's War. Also happy that the money went to good causes, but you know, also this.


message 7: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 2431 comments Mod
Andy wrote: "Yay Nick!

And I am really happy that I bought into the Humble Bundle books earlier so that I have a copy of Old Man's War. Also happy that the money went to good causes, but you know, also this."


I haven't had a chance to listen yet, and probably won't for a few more days. Did they announce Old Man's War as the official pick for January?

They haven't updated the calendar and I don't see anything on the group bookshelf yet either.


message 8: by Nick (last edited Nov 28, 2012 09:29AM) (new)

Nick (Whyzen) | 1230 comments I'm willing to Skype in but I do have to warn you that I have a face made for radio.


Tamahome | 4345 comments Nick wrote: "I'm willing to Skype in but I do have to warn you that I have a face made for radio."

But can you sing?


message 10: by Nick (last edited Nov 28, 2012 12:02PM) (new)

Nick (Whyzen) | 1230 comments Tamahome wrote: "Nick wrote: "I'm willing to Skype in but I do have to warn you that I have a face made for radio."

But can you sing?"


Not without autotune!

Hide ya kids! Hide ya wifes!


Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments She hasn't seen Buffy? GET HER! *Shakes Spikey Pitchfork menacingly*


David Sven (Gorro) | 1551 comments Rob wrote: "I haven't had a chance to listen yet, and probably won't for a few more days. Did they announce Old Man's War as the official pick for January?"

Yes OMW for January. Excellent episode. I've already read it, ironically because of all the clamouring for it on Sword & Laser. Loved it.


message 13: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 2431 comments Mod
David Sven wrote: "Rob wrote: "I haven't had a chance to listen yet, and probably won't for a few more days. Did they announce Old Man's War as the official pick for January?"

Yes OMW for January. Excellent episode...."


I was thinking about reading it in December. Guess I'll wait.


William | 23 comments So, I have to say. Thanks for using my voicemail! Sorry if the quality was not the best, I was a tad bit excited
because I had just finished the episode and I had my phone on speaker since I was driving around.

Also. Veronica your pizza should be there pronto just be warned it may have mutated into some ungodly creation and Tom, once you have moved, your creation will be on it's way! Hell, PIZZA PIZZA FOR ALL, Creations for all those who do not live close to Maryland,but everyone still gets something!


Sandi (Sandikal) | 1094 comments Veronica, you seriously need to have a Buffy marathon. It is the best show that has ever been on TV. Don't let the original movie fool you. The series is awesome! Don't let another day go by without watching it.


message 16: by terpkristin (last edited Nov 28, 2012 04:51PM) (new) - added it

terpkristin | 2692 comments Hmm. I learned so much this episode, like that Felicia Day was on Buffy. I also have never watched it and have absolutely zero desire to do so. But now I know why people knew who Day was, that she wasn't just a geek popping up out of nowhere.

I'm bummed that Tom didn't use my "select a book" wheel idea for the pick but am fine with the pick. :) I think using the Listopia is deceiving; there are only some people using it (and mayhaps not all people who actually participate here). I don't use it, mostly because when I'm thinking of it is not when I'm near a computer.


Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 611 comments I wouldn't mind if S&L implemented a TV series watch-along, too.


Tassie Dave | 496 comments terpkristin wrote: "Hmm. I learned so much this episode, like that Felicia Day was on Buffy. I also have never watched it and have absolutely zero desire to do so. But now I know why people knew who Day was, that she wasn't just a geek popping up out of nowhere."

I'm also not a Buffy fan (and I have seen some episodes).

Felicia Day's geek creed probably has as much (or more) to do with her online work with "The Guild" and "Dr Horrible's Sing-along Blog" as it does with her TV work.


message 19: by Nick (last edited Nov 28, 2012 07:38PM) (new)

Nick (Whyzen) | 1230 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "I'm also not a Buffy fan (and I have seen some episodes)."

Warning! Entering Whedon Fan Geek Rage territory!!
:-)

A lot of these shows don't hit their stride right off the bat and really don't get their feet till a season or two in. You have to stick with a show a while as it makes it past its awkward phase. Don't judge Buffy the TV Series by the movie. Whedon tried his best to wash his hands of the movie. Another thing is you can't just pick up in the middle of shows like Buffy, Angel, or Firefly without at least a little background on the characters or you'll be lost and not enjoy it. The writing for Buffy was fairly clever and left me a fan of a majority of Joss Whedon's work.

For example, the ending of Season 4 of Angel had a great take on what the world would be like if free will was removed enough to bring peace to the world at the cost of a few lives every so often versus the many lost each day due to violence and war. FireFly is another great Whedon series. Sorry, I'm a big Whedon fan.


Tassie Dave | 496 comments Nick wrote: "Warning! Entering Whedon Fan Geek Rage territory!!
:-)"


Don't get me wrong. I love Joss Whedon's work. (Firefly, Dr Horrible, Avengers)
I think I was too old for Buffy. I was 35 when it debuted and found it more aimed to a younger viewer. I didn't hate it, just not for me.
I probably would have loved it 20 years earlier.


message 21: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 2431 comments Mod
Tassie Dave wrote: "I think I was too old for Buffy. I was 35 when it debuted and found it more aimed to a younger viewer. "

It could be the age thing, but I'll definitely agree with Nick. I had watched random episodes and didn't get why it was popular.

At some point in my early 20's it was on FX or something every day.

So I was able watch it all in order over the course of a few months. I ended up recording/watching it then and really enjoyed it. At least the original run from WB.

Though their are some amusing things from the 2 seasons on UPN..like the singing episode (at least I'm pretty sure that was in like s6 or 7).

I would think Veronica would enjoy it. I'm a bit surprised she hasn't seen it.

Then again, we're the same age, and I didn't watch it until syndication. It was pretty popular at the time we were in high school/college though.

I still don't remember Felicia Day on Buffy. I knew her from the Guild and Dr. Horrible prior to the whole Geek and Sundry thing. I remember it coming up before (maybe in early promotion for G&S) and being surprised.

Anyways, if anyone does want to watch it it's on Netflix Streaming and I think Amazon Prime (and probably Hulu+ or something too). At least in the US.


message 22: by Nick (last edited Nov 29, 2012 05:00AM) (new)

Nick (Whyzen) | 1230 comments Rob wrote: "I still don't remember Felicia Day on Buffy. I knew her from the Guild and Dr. Horrible prior to the whole Geek and Sundry thing. I remember it coming up before (maybe in early promotion for G&S) and being surprised."

Felicia Day was on towards the last two seasons. Something happens and they have brought a bunch of potential new slayers to Sunnydale and Felicia played one of the potentials. I didn't watch Buffy until it was on streaming netflix.


message 23: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 2431 comments Mod
Yea. I kind of assumed that's what it was, but I guess she just didn't stick out to me then.


Paul Harmon (TheSaint08D) | 535 comments Im in my 40s and still love Buffy just the first season is a little hard to get through compared to the rest...at least until the end of the season.

Felecia was in season 7

Buffy was the true Launching point for the Urban Fantasy craze...unfortunately it seems that most have horribly corrupted Joss's vision into some sort of twisted romance genre...not all mind you.
But if your a fan of the genre Buffy should be your first stop.


Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1651 comments Alex wrote: "I wouldn't mind if S&L implemented a TV series watch-along, too."

I second this. Though I'd suggest we choose one season of a show each month, then do a different show the next month so we don't spend half a year on a long running series like Buffy or TNG.


message 26: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 2431 comments Mod
I've definitely watch more sci-fi than I read, so the TV thing could be fun.

Sean's suggestion of keeping it to one season is a good one. People can always continue on their own or even smaller groups discussing additional seasons.


William | 23 comments Rob wrote: "I've definitely watch more sci-fi than I read, so the TV thing could be fun.

Sean's suggestion of keeping it to one season is a good one. People can always continue on their own or even smaller gr..."


I also watch way more sci-fi than I read it so I think the TV idea would be pretty awesome.


Paul Harmon (TheSaint08D) | 535 comments Yes well its too bad they took SG-1 off of netflix. That would have been a nice one to use along with some new era Doctor Who, Buffy, Firefly (over and over and over yeah).
There REALLY REALLY should have been a Blade Runner TV show though.


terpkristin | 2692 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Felicia Day's geek creed probably has as much (or more) to do with her online work with "The Guild" and "Dr Horrible's Sing-along Blog" as it does with her TV work. "

Oh, I wasn't trying to impugn her geek cred. But I'm guessing that the Buffy community is the one that followed her when she started The Guild, which then went viral in our little community (well, so I'm told...I never really got into it but I'm also not into MMO's). She seems like she's one of those people that uses her powers for good, so she's good in my book. I just assumed that The Guild was made popular by people who liked her in Buffy. If she'd been a Jane Doe, I think it's possible she'd have been found but less likely...big internet and all.

Wow, if S&L ever did a "TV-along," I'd be hosed. I can barely keep up with the books and am way behind on the video shows! :P


Dara (geekdara) | 982 comments Finally got to listen tonight. Thank you for saying my name right, Veronica! Almost everyone says it wrong. But you win!


back to top

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

Old Man's War (other topics)