Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)
This topic is about The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Book Issues > The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Kindle editions

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Nov 26, 2012 04:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea (andrea_b) | 492 comments Hi! I noticed several strange (messy) things with the Kindle editions for Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I was hoping to get some help...
1. This edition http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11... has the Vintage (US) cover, but lists Quercus (UK) as the publisher

2. This edition http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10... has the Quercus (UK) cover, but seems to have originally been a fake Kindle edition (it's no longer available for sale, but checking the logs indicates that it was something called "Wiki content for your Kindle" by AMencher19, AbsoluteGleek92 and Jeff Jones). I separated it at first but recombined when I noticed that were so many reviews for the actual book.

I also found something similar for The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest, which has been separated http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10... , also with reviews that correspond to the book.

3. Someone switched the format on this one (US edition) http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/65... and now it's listed as a mass market ppb...

4. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/92... no ISBN, US cover. should be deleted into... well, into one of the others.

I'm not too sure how things should be fixed but as always, thanks for your opinions and help!

PS. I'm pretty sure that the UK cover wasn't actually used on a US edition or viceversa
I have noticed that many times all Kindle editions are given the same cover (I'm guessing this happened after the Amazon data was removed) but it does cause some confusions (I've seen it with Kindle editions that are really in Spanish, etc)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments I got #4 in the course of other things, but will leave 1-3 for someone else....

Traveling Diva (travelingdiva) | 370 comments I fixed #3 - the format seems to have been switched around numerous times but it is definitely the Kindle edition.

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3544 comments For number two I would reseparate, remove Stieg Larson, and re-add the old authors. It's not our fault that people added it without checking if it was actually the book they thought it was.

message 5: by lafon حمزة (last edited Nov 27, 2012 01:48AM) (new) - added it

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3544 comments *Facedesk*. Number one is actually not "The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo". It's a book about the book. Something called "Shmoop Learning Guides something or the other". Someone changed the ASIN when they were rescuing it, and voila, havoc. Oh well. At this point, I think we should leave it as is, and I have reverted the cover change that happened at some point.

message 6: by Andrea (last edited Nov 27, 2012 04:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Andrea (andrea_b) | 492 comments lafon حمزة wrote: "For number two I would reseparate, remove Stieg Larson, and re-add the old authors. It's not our fault that people added it without checking if it was actually the book they thought it was."

But it's kind of confusing when you see that it's the only kindle edition with a UK cover because the actual UK edition had its cover changed around... (it's been shelved 600 times and has like 30 reviews)

also, I think that it was an edition with a title typo that I asked to be merged with #1 that was the Shmoop thing (oops). I would agree to keep it as is.

Steamywindows♥♫ (Steamywindows) | 21 comments I am a very new librarian and have been following these discussions as an orientation. So far I have limited my activities to fairly simple cover changes and adding metadata. Can you please explain why you would leave #1 as is? I read your comments about the number of shelving s, reviews etc. but my hunch is that they have no idea it is the wrong book.
Thank you in advance for helping me understand.

Andrea (andrea_b) | 492 comments Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "Can you please explain why you would leave #1 as is?"

lafon حمزة commented that #1 was originally not the book but a learning guide, but #1 is a merge of the UK Kindle edition and an edition that yesterday was listed with a title typo and no ASIN (but originally was a guide on the book). It's most likely that everyone who added it did so based on the title/cover image and no one knew that it used to be a guide (before someone went and edited the title for some reason).

I think the second book is different because it has an ASIN that could've indicated users whether that was the edition that they read or not... I would still vote to just merge it with #1, because I doubt that it was the intention of most users to shelve a "wiki guide" of the book, but separating it and reversing the changes could also be the way to go.

Steamywindows♥♫ (Steamywindows) | 21 comments Andrea wrote: "Lafon حمزة commented that #1 was originally not the book but a learning guide, but #1 is a merge of the UK Kindle edit..."

So separating it and reversing it would seem to be a rather large and technical task (just assuming) but if this were to be done, essentially the problem becomes whether the reviews can be associated with the correct book?

Andrea (andrea_b) | 492 comments Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "So separating it and reversing it would seem to be a rather large and technical task (just assuming) but if this were to be done, essentially the problem becomes whether the reviews can be associated with the correct book? "

I don't think we can undo merges (maybe someone in the staff can), but even the reviews that were listed with the edition that was once upon a time a guide were for the book (as it was listed with the title and cover for the book for a while).

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new) - added it

rivka | 22306 comments Mod
Deletions cannot be undone. Full stop.

Andrea (andrea_b) | 492 comments rivka wrote: "Deletions cannot be undone. Full stop."

Hi rivka, thanks for clearing that up. What do you think should happen to book #2 above?

message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new) - added it

rivka | 22306 comments Mod
lafon's suggestion makes sense to me.

Andrea (andrea_b) | 492 comments OK, separated it and reversed changes.
Thanks for everyone's help!

unread topics | mark unread