Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library discussion

What Are You Reading? > Best Fiction of 2012

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelli (last edited Nov 26, 2012 04:50PM) (new)

Kelli (KelliSmith) | 179 comments Mod
James Patterson's Private Games and John Grisham’s Calico Joe were the most popular fiction books at our library this year based on our checkout numbers. What new fictional work was your favorite read this year?

message 2: by Christy (new)

Christy | 4 comments My pick would be Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel -- I can't get enough of Thomas Cromwell!
And I haven't read it yet, but I'm really looking forward to The Round House by Louise Erdrich. I suspect that one will also make my "best of" list. She's an amazing writer.

message 3: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (KelliSmith) | 179 comments Mod
Hilary Mantel is on my list (or will be shortly). I keep forgetting about Wolf Hall and Bring Up the Bodies.

Out of the 2012 fiction I've read, I really enjoyed Alex Grecian's The Yard. This book takes you to the dirty streets of London a few years after the Jack the Ripper case and examines the 12 detectives assigned to investigate all of London's murders. It dabbled into the use of early forensic science to catch the criminals. Highly recommend!

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 201 comments Insurgent by Veronica Roth - I had a hard time putting this book down and I'm looking forward the the next book.

message 5: by Lissa (new)

Lissa (lissastaley) | 43 comments Mod
Redshirts by John Scalzi -- I LOVED this book, although it has enough quirky twists that I basically can't tell you why I loved it so much. I can tell you, if you are a reader, a viewer, or a writer, you might really love it. And everyone that I have recommended it to has really enjoyed it also (at least that they have told me). It's probably classified as science fiction. And if you get the redshirts reference, you might like it even more. (BUT, I didn't get the reference, not being a long-time science fiction person, and I still thought it was delightful!)

message 6: by Thad (new)

Thad | 31 comments Mod
I really enjoyed Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore. It was a really fun adventure/mystery that has a great love of books while balancing it with an appreciation of everything that the latest technology has to offer.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (other topics)