The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) The Hobbit question

Should I start with the Hobbit or The Fellowship of the ring
Marie-pier Marie-pier Nov 22, 2012 10:55AM
So I am almost done with Games of Thrones and am planning on my next journey.

I would like to get the best experience out of theses two books, which one should I start with?

Definitely The Hobbit. It was written first and it recounts events that lead into The Lord of the Rings.

The Hobbit intro's you to this wonderful world and set things in motion. And give you weight to the characters of the lord of the ring, so YES go with the hobbit.

definitely the hobbit. its easier to read and it was written first. :) however you HAVE TO READ the fellowship of the ring afterwards. it's EPIC. trust me. :D

I agree that you should read The Hobbit first - it is a lot easier to get through than LoTR plus it helps you get a sense of the world (although both LoTR and The Hobbit feature a lot of the land of Middle-Earth I think it is easier to picture The Hobbit landscape first and then add from LoTR as you read through it).

I would advise against reading Silmarillion until you have finished the others. As a previous poster said it does provide a *lot* of back story (basically it is the LoTR Old Testamant) but it is an awful lot to take in and wasn't the easiest thing to read.

Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit

Liam He means read "The Hobbit" first.
Jan 22, 2013 04:49PM

Hobit in is awsome, start with it

I plan on reading The Hobbit first... Well actually I started it about 4 years ago and fell asleep in the second chapter lol, So I plan on starting it again. And I also haven't watched the Lord of the Rings movies, much to my families horror:P So I plan to watch The Hobbit first also... :)

The Hobbit! I always read books in the order the author has released them to us. That is the order the author intended them to be read :)

You just finished Game of Thrones? I haven't even STARTED it yet! Anyways, Hobbit or Fellowship, toss up. I read the trilogy before the Hobbit and had no trouble following it.

The Hobbit. It sort of sets the stage for LOTR.

sure Hobbit the story is before Lord of the Rings but sure you decide

The Hobbit

THE HOBBIT!!!!! it tells the story of getting the ring

I definitely think you should start with the hobbit...what's the song...start at the very beginning, a very good place to start! it's a great story, read it as a child and still hold memories of nights curled under the blanket with a torch.

The Hobbit, it might not have been intended as a prequel but it works as one brilliantly. But that's likely because its such a brilliant stand-alone book. The Lord of the Rings just took what was laid down and went with it afterwards, you don't need to read them in either direction, I think they work either way but for the sake of not spoiling yourself its best to read them chronologically.

Definitely read The Hobbit first! While both are masterpieces, I find The Hobbit's single, concise tale a bit more engaging than the multi-threaded epic that is the Lord of The Rings. If you find the Hobbit to your liking, your enjoyment of Rings will probably increase greatly, since it does build upon events that transpired in The Hobbit.

Happy Reading!

Read the Hobbit first. It sets up the trilogy that follows and introduces you to most of the major characters. And yes, there is a book called "Fellowship of the Ring" unlike what some have said. I'm holding it in my hand fight now. It is book one of the trilogy "The Lord of the Rings". Enjoy.

The Hobbit its just not right to read The Fellowship of the Ring before you read The Hobbit and besides you only have 18 days until the movie comes out.

I read The Lord of the Rings first because some one gave it to me. I was totally hooked right from the beginning and loved it all the way through. I had no problems at all with not having the background in The Hobbit.

And The Lord of the Rings is better. So it depends on your temperament, whether you the best first or want the chronological order.

Read whichever one first you feel like. It'll work either way.

Yes, The Hobbit is the perfect book to start with and will quickly lure you into the amazing world of Middle-earth.

Sorry. That just isn't true. I bought and read the trilogy as three books years before the movies were even thought about.

The Lord of the Rings builds on events of The Hobbit so you should read The Hobbit first. Besides, if for some reason you decide you don't want to continue reading Tolkien after one book, at least you've got a complete story.

Definitely The Hobbit first and then The Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit is a great introduction to the world and you learn all about the ring and gollum and Bilbo's adventures before you come across them in the LOTR trilogy! Then go on to LOTR, get passed the part of Tom Bombadil in the forest (for me it was a slow read up until that part) and then I was sucked into the world, I devoured the rest of the books. They're brilliant! :D

The Hobbit. It's wonderful.

or why not Silmarillion. there you get the complete picture (lord of the rings summarized in six pages). the the hobbit and, finally, the lord of the rings.

deleted member Nov 22, 2012 11:53AM   0 votes
Read the Hobbit first, but don't forget that it was written for quite young readers - that way, maybe you'll stay awake, unlike Victoria "Bob".

The Hobbit

Yes, definitely read The Hobbit first. Although it was written for children, I don't think you will find it 'childish'.

read the hobbit first it tells the take of bilbo baggins, but intrduces smeagal

The Hobbit...it is an easier read than going heads on with the trilogy.

Either would do, IMO. They are pretty different books - The Hobbit is a kids' adventure tale, while LotR is a more mature and darker epic fantasy. Reading The Hobbit first would give you an introduction to some of the characters and places of LotR, but it's not strictly necessary to read it first - just read the prologue of LotR, which explains everything that's needed. Also, if you've been reading Game of Thrones, The Hobbit will provide a HUGE contrast in style and tone. It's up to you to decide whether a break from the gloom and doom of GoT is what you want, or if it will be too abrupt a change.

Also, a slight nerdy nitpick: The Lord of the Rings is a single book in three parts, of which Fellowship of the Ring is the first part. It's not a trilogy of three separate books.

The Hobbit obviously because it gets you acquainted with characters that if you read Fellowship you will be really lost- besides it is the easiest book out of the whole series. If you are going to read lotr read start from the beginning it will make a lot more sense. It's just a good starting part because there is an important incident that happens in that book that resignates throughout the entire lotr trilogy.

As most responders have said, read The Hobbit first but with the understanding that it was and is a children's book. You will not be disappointed.

I am also going to buck the Hobbit train, and recommend that you read LoTR first. Its a better book, well-written and epic in proportion, and would offer far better continuity in style if you are moving on to it after finishing the Game of Thrones.

Hobbit is a children's adventure book and as a fan I have read it a fair few times but it probably isn't the best introduction to the amazing world of Middle-Earth.

Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit

Marie-pier wrote: "So I am almost done with Games of Thrones and am planning on my next journey.

I would like to get the best experience out of theses two books, which one should I start with?"

I highly recommend you read the Hobbit first. Its not as exciting as Lord of the Rings but many things wouldn't make sense without it

Start with The Hobbit!

Yeah I heard the book The Hobbit was to be three movies. The first movie is the unexpected journey which was quite a few chapters in the book. I was disappointed.

Marie-pier I don't want to be the devil's advocate here, but splitting the book into three movies will give them more time to follow all the details, and not but ...more
Jan 07, 2013 12:52PM

The Hobbit is a nice easy introduction into middle earth. LOTR takes a lot of patience and energy, The Hobbit, however, is nice and relaxed. It also came first so, defiantly pick it.

deleted member (last edited Nov 29, 2012 10:15PM ) Nov 29, 2012 05:38PM   0 votes
Yes, start with The Hobbit. No doubt you tire of reading that, but it makes the other books so much better!

Happy reading!

CJ (last edited Nov 23, 2012 11:35AM ) Nov 22, 2012 11:24AM   0 votes
That's what I did... I read Hobbit first. Like you I haven't been familiar with reading any of Tolkien's books (besides seeing the movies of the Lord of the Rings).

I think it is the way to go, in my opinion. Read The Hobbit first and then if you want read The Lord of the Rings (which I have yet to do but will sometime read that trilogy).

Read the Hobbit first, but be aware that Tolkien wrote the Hobbit for children. The Lord of the Rings was written for an adult audience.

The Hobbit is a completely different book from Lord of the Rings and despite being in the same world, they don't really share much similarities. Gandalf and the Dwarves may as well be different characters and races because they're not like those in LoTR and the Hobbit is very childish. Read either, they don't compliment each other.

There is no such book as 'The Fellowship of the Ring.' There is one novel entitled 'The Lord of the Rings.' The novel was never split up into three separate books for sale, until the movies were released. Sorry for being so pedantic, but little things like that annoy me. :)

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hobbit (other topics)