2014 Reading Challenge discussion

Life of Pi
This topic is about Life of Pi
ARCHIVE Buddy Reads > Trevor/Lilac/Christina/Melissa: Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Comments (showing 1-35 of 35) (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ashley | 1022 comments This thread is for the discussion of Life of Pi. Please remember to cover your spoilers. :)

Johanna | 752 comments there´s also the movie coming, pretty soon as well I guess so you have a good timing for this!

Nathan Trevor (thatTrev) | 1721 comments The movie is out in November I believe, so we're a little late. But that's okay. I'm looking forward to this!

Lilac  | 748 comments Me too. I've reserved a copy at the library so I'll be able to start next time I go there (around the 6th) :)

Melissa (missie322) | 207 comments I reserved this at the library ..so as soon as I get it I will be starting it.

Christina just started tonight. Am on ch 3 and I am already enjoying it. It's well written =)

message 7: by Kara, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2569 comments I'm going to see the movie this afternoon! :)

Nathan Trevor (thatTrev) | 1721 comments What did you think of the movie, Kara? I saw it last night and WOAH. I thought it was amazing and sort of scary... I'm really looking forward to reading it now.

Darshana (darshuk15) | 51 comments i have read this book in my school days n had fallen asleep reading the book. no book that i have read was this boring. i saw the movie yesterday. movie was k. as the movie was nly for 2 hrs it was watchable. but seriously the book is really boring. its not as u see it. i would nly suggest u to read some other book than wasting your time on this. anyways its just my opinion,

message 10: by Kara, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2569 comments Trevor wrote: "What did you think of the movie, Kara? I saw it last night and WOAH. I thought it was amazing and sort of scary... I'm really looking forward to reading it now."

I thought the movie was BEAUTIFUL. Did you see it in 3D? It was totally awesome in 3D.

Nathan Trevor (thatTrev) | 1721 comments Kara wrote: I thought the movie was BEAUTIFUL. Did you see it in 3D? It was totally awesome in 3D."

Yeah we saw it in 3D! I loved it. Even if I was freaking out half the time. My mom and I share an irrational fear of the ocean and I'm so so glad she didn't come with my brother and I to see this movie! She would have died.

April Lyn (aprilallyear) I saw the movie today. It was.. good. I definitely like the book better, but I love the book, so the movie would have had to have been pretty freakin' awesome for it to be better. I will say I was upset that they didn't do the part (view spoiler) But the rest of it was pretty true to the book. I knew the movie couldn't be that great when I saw it was rated PG, as the book is definitely not PG in parts, so I feel that some of the shock and drama of the book didn't translate into the movie. The movie was also pretty sad, but in a good way. I'm not generally a crier and I cried once, and teared up a few times.

Nathan Trevor (thatTrev) | 1721 comments My brother felt the same way. He loved the book and said it was far better than the movie. That's a popular opinion I think, no matter what book/movie combination we see! haha.

I started this a few nights ago and I'm on chapter 23 now. It's shockingly good so far. I was expecting boredom but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Melissa (missie322) | 207 comments I'm still waiting to hear from the library .. I might break down and buy it if I don't hear anything by the end of the week.

message 15: by Kara, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2569 comments April Lyn, that's the same part I was really bummed they missed! I was really curious about how they were going to do that and am sad that we'll never know.

message 16: by Kara, Moderator (last edited Dec 10, 2012 09:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2569 comments So fun (maybe "fun" isn't the right word and should be replaced with "morbid) fact:

When I took Constitutional Law in undergrad, we studied some common law cases at the start of class. One of the cases we read was about a ship that sunk and four people who had escaped in a lifeboat. One of the people was a young boy who the others ended up killing in order to eat him because they didn't have any food and wouldn't have survived otherwise. That boy's name was Richard Parker.

You can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_v_Dudl...

I've always wanted to ask Martel if that's where he got the name for the tiger, but then I just stumbled across this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_...
"Writer Yann Martel in his 2001 novel Life of Pi picked up on these occurrences, surmising 'So many Richard Parkers had to mean something', and included a shipwrecked Bengal tiger called 'Richard Parker' in the book"

Lilac  | 748 comments So I've just started this and it's not too bad so far. Nothing amazing but I'm only about 50 pages in so nothing's happend yet. It doesn't seem like a quick read (even though it's relatively short) so I might have to read other books at the same time if I get a little bored with it.

Nathan Trevor (thatTrev) | 1721 comments Lilac wrote: "So I've just started this and it's not too bad so far. Nothing amazing but I'm only about 50 pages in so nothing's happend yet. It doesn't seem like a quick read (even though it's relatively short)..."

It gets better, Lilac! I'm taking it slow as well. I thought I'd be done it by today but I'm not, so I'm going to read it only before bed and read other stuff throughout the day.

This "before bed" thing may be a bad idea once things start really happening. I scare easy. L0L

April Lyn (aprilallyear) Trevor wrote: "I'm taking it slow as well. I thought I'd be done it by today but I'm not."

At least it's not Bee Season slow...

lol

Nathan Trevor (thatTrev) | 1721 comments April Lyn wrote: "Trevor wrote: "I'm taking it slow as well. I thought I'd be done it by today but I'm not."

At least it's not Bee Season slow...

lol"

HAH! That's so true!! ;)

Melissa (missie322) | 207 comments Ok .. everyone go ahead and laugh at me. I've had this book on hold for the last couple weeks. Guess what I own and that's been on my book shelf the whole time .. yeah, I'm an airhead. I will start reading it as soon as I finish the one I am currently reading !!

message 22: by Kara, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2569 comments Haha, that's awesome, Melissa! (And I've totally done that before. I've actually BOUGHT copies of books I own. I think I have, like, three copies of The Martian Chronicles.)

Nathan Trevor (thatTrev) | 1721 comments hahaha! I do that all the time! No worries. ;)

Nathan Trevor (thatTrev) | 1721 comments Finished! Finally! haha. That took a while.

review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Lilac  | 748 comments I stopped reading this to read other books and, honestly, I can't be bothered going back to it. It isn't very good so far and I have other books to read which are much more interesting. I will finish this book but maybe not until the very end of the year.

Melissa (missie322) | 207 comments I did not like this book at all. I also had to put it aside a few times and I really don't like the message it sends.

Ashley | 1022 comments I'm glad I'm not the only one that gave this book a 1 - 2 star rating. I thought the book was totally blah when I read it last year...ugh!

Nathan Trevor (thatTrev) | 1721 comments Melissa wrote: "I did not like this book at all. I also had to put it aside a few times and I really don't like the message it sends."

What didn't you like about the message, Melissa? I thought the message was very interesting, although I'm not sure if I agree..

Christina I have been trying to read this all month and can just not get into it.

I definitely want to finish it but it's not gonna happen any time soon. Every time I go to read it all I can think of is other books I would rather be reading

Nathan Trevor (thatTrev) | 1721 comments Don't worry about it, Christina! You'll get to it one day!

Kelsi | 711 comments Kara wrote: "So fun (maybe "fun" isn't the right word and should be replaced with "morbid) fact:

When I took Constitutional Law in undergrad, we studied some common law cases at the start of class. One of the ..."

Kara, I love that case! Life of Pi always makes me think of it. I actually re-read Life of Pi after reading that case because a lightbulb turned on in my head and made the connection. I love when real life lines up with fiction. haha.

message 32: by Kara, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kara (KaraAyako) | 2569 comments Hooray for con law! :)

Melissa (missie322) | 207 comments Melissa wrote: "I did not like this book at all. I also had to put it aside a few times and I really don't like the message it sends."

Well, the message I got from the book is it really doesn't matter what you believe as long as you believe something, because in the end either way is right. Maybe I missed something. But this I don't personally believe.

April Lyn (aprilallyear) I thought the message was about the human need for survival. In a very literal sense, Pi spent the whole book trying to stay alive, but in the end he used a coping mechanism of the stories we tell ourselves (think: selective memory) to be able to live (in a psychological, mental, functional sense).

I would consider myself a very religious person and a huge fan of Jesus, but I didn't feel this book was endorsing any or all religions.

Nathan Trevor (thatTrev) | 1721 comments I agree with both of you, actually. I got the message you did, Melissa (and to some extent I can agree with what it is saying). But I do feel like mostly the book was expressing what April Lyn was saying. It was showing a very real way someone would try and cope with what happened to them. I really enjoyed the psychological aspect of this, in that way. How Pi copes with what really happened to him is very cool to me.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Life of Pi (other topics)
Bee Season (other topics)
The Martian Chronicles (other topics)