J.D. Robb discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Correct reading list

Comments (showing 1-50 of 67) (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kaz. (new)

Kaz. Thanks so much for this list, I have just started to read the series and it is going to be so handy just to come here and see which one is next.

message 2: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 91 comments What about the books that came out since December 2009?

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana | 28 comments This is a link for the reading list: http://www.jdrobb.com/books/allbooks....

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 1 comments I have a book list that has a book hot rocks listed on it and I and wondering if it has been written before and then renamed for a different release

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam | 33 comments Hot Rocksis the first part of Remember When

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan I've just been turned onto this series and am wondering if one must really read the books in order? Just curious..thanks.

message 7: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (Ejaygirl) | 8984 comments Mod
I believe it makes a difference. Part of the appeal of the series is how superbly J. D. Robb develops the characters. There are 40 books that cover an elapsed time of about two years in the storyline. While each book can stand alone, you will miss out on an important element of these books. The main protagonist, Lt. Eve Dallas, goes though her own transformation that is nuanced. Don't miss out on an extraordinary experience of her writing. There's a reason why there are 40 books and counting and it's still fresh.

At least start with the first three.

message 8: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1037 comments I've just started them, and I say if you can get them in order (from the library or wherever), it's great to read them in order. There are overarching plot points that will make a lot more sense that way. But DEFINITELY read the first 3 first!

message 9: by Jonetta (new)

Sara ♥ wrote: "I've just started them, and I say if you can get them in order (from the library or wherever), it's great to read them in order. There are overarching plot points that will make a lot more sense t..."

Good point, Sara.

message 10: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) I had to read them in order - my OCD just wouldn't let me do it any other way, lol. However, I do agree with Jonetta & Sara, to get the full effect of the series & see the personal growth of Eve & her marriage, you NEED to read them in order

message 11: by Jonetta (new)

I forgot about the OCD factor...I have that going, too:)

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan Thanks everyone for the advice. I had planned on reading them in order but I just happened upon Stranger's in Death yesterday for $1 and decided to buy it but didn't know if I wanted to read it yet. Think I'll just hold onto it and get the ones before it from the library. :-)

message 13: by Jonetta (new)

Susan wrote: "Thanks everyone for the advice. I had planned on reading them in order but I just happened upon Stranger's in Death yesterday for $1 and decided to buy it but didn't know if I wanted to read it yet..."

To be totally honest? I'm glad we convinced you:) I think I can speak for Alyssa and Sara that we were trying to be objective but really want you to experience what we did in reading them in order.

message 14: by JSWolf (new)

JSWolf | 91 comments Yes, reading in order is the best way. You don't want to find out things ahead of time that won't make much sense.

message 15: by Sam (new)

Sam | 33 comments I'll add my two cents and concur. Read them in order, you just get some much more from them that way!

message 16: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1037 comments Susan wrote: "Thanks everyone for the advice. I had planned on reading them in order but I just happened upon Stranger's in Death yesterday for $1 and decided to buy it but didn't know if I wanted to read it yet..."

Definitely buy it! What a steal! But don't read it yet... ;)

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 581 comments i would just like to say i love being in this group! because i am a member of like four or five groups and only two have active members! other people join the stupid group and havent been active for months to a year and i want people to talk about the books with!! and ahh! i thought goodreads was the spot but APPARENTLY not...
ookay sorry just needed to vent. :)

message 18: by Jonetta (new)

I, like you, am puzzled as to why people join the groups and never contribute to the discussion. It's more of a question than a criticism so if anyone wants to share with us the rationale, we would very much be interested in knowing. What value are you getting?

message 19: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments I have too many groups. A lot of them have similar discussions, and having to answer the same in each group is ridiculous. I participate actively in this one and the Romance Reading Challenge group and the others I joined mostly for the challenges. I've been thinking of getting out of most of them, I think you convinced me Jonetta. It's past time. I also participate in the Cover to Cover challenge because it doesn't require a lot of participation; mainly I use it for simple book discussions and keeping track of the books I've read.

message 20: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (alyssa_hesper) You guys inspired me to clean out my Groups, lol. When I joined I had all the good intentions of participating and being part of the group. However, I joined so many because I love so many series that I became just a little overwhelmed. The slate is now clean :)

message 21: by Jonetta (new)

I like talking about the books. When we talk about the characters, we're talking about the books. When we relate special scenes, well...you get the picture.

I'm in this group because I like to read about others' experiences with this series and share perspectives. I'm still amazed at these stories.

I'm in two groups only so I have nothing to shed:)

Btw, Vanessa, I really like those character threads you set up.

message 22: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (Vanessamc) | 646 comments Thanks Jonetta!!

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol Peace I have joined this group because I am interested about what everyone thinks about the 'in death' books. I am a bit shy and cant really do a review justice yet but I have not read all of them and am interested in other books as well. I have just printed the list so I can get them from the 1st book. I have read Naked in Death and loved it , I was interested to see where some of the other characters came from .

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 581 comments I joined this group because none of my friends are the romance novel types and they would laugh at be to no en if theydound out I read it. And I needed SOMEONE to talk to about this amazing series! And I, too, am in two groups with no extras to shed. I ditched those loser groups that never participated lol

message 25: by Silvia (new)

Silvia | 3 comments According to this reading list you should read the novella Eternity in Death before the novel Creation in Death. That is the order I did, but then realized it should be the other way around. Eternity in Death takes place in April while Creation in Death takes place in March! Was a little disappointed as I guess I have OCD too and wanted the true order :) Just about to start Kindred in Death. Enjoy!

message 26: by Jonetta (new)

Silvia wrote: "According to this reading list you should read the novella Eternity in Death before the novel Creation in Death. That is the order I did, but then realized it should be the other way around. Eterni..."

Every list I've ever used has Eternity before Creation???

message 27: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1037 comments Yes! There's a TINY NOTE on Wikipedia that says that the events in Eternity in Death occur after Strangers in Death, so I read it in that order.

message 28: by Meg (new)

Meg (megrose0222) | 5 comments Hello Everyone,
HELP Im so confused. I printed off the order of these books and then saw the person listed a link to a chronological list and they are different. It shows Midnight in death should come after loyalty in death were as the very first post on here shows it after Holiday in Death.HElP!!!!

message 29: by Jonetta (new)

Meghan wrote: "Hello Everyone,
HELP Im so confused. I printed off the order of these books and then saw the person listed a link to a chronological list and they are different. It shows Midnight in death should c..."

The correct order is Holiday, Midnight, Conspiracy and Loyalty.

message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 581 comments Just to make sure, all of the minis are now out in two separate books, right? There's no other minis that aren't in either Three or Time?

message 31: by Jonetta (new)

I'm not sure that's the case but will research.

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 581 comments okay thank you!!!

message 33: by Jonetta (new)

Here are the omnibus books that have packaged the "novellas" previously appearing in anthologies:

Time of Death:  Eternity, Ritual and Missing

Three in Death:  Interlude, Midnight and Haunted

Possession in Death has yet to be packaged in an omnibus and Big Jack, originally the J. D. Robb portion of Remember When, is also not part of an omnibus. The J. D. Robb website now has a chronological listing of all of the books to date, including the Omnibus publications.

Hope this helps.

message 34: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 581 comments is Big Jack a J.D. Robb book or a Nora? And thank you, it is very helpful :)

message 35: by Sara ♥ (last edited Jul 22, 2011 07:07PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1037 comments Remember When is a two-part story—the first half by Nora and the second half by J.D. Robb.

Big Jack is the name of the second half—the part by J.D. Robb. It was published by itself later.

message 36: by Jonetta (new)

Remember When was separated and reissued as Hot Rocks (Nora Roberts portion) and Big Jack (J. D. Robb portion) last year. I personally have never read the Nora portion as I started the series after the separation.

message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 581 comments What?!?!?! Ugh i could have just read Big Jack and skipped the whole "Remember When" boringness altogether?

Thanks for telling me, though I have seen Big Jack in Borders and have been very confused :)

message 38: by Jonetta (new)

Yes, I think it's confusing, too. I was trying to find Remember When and couldn't because it was no longer available (worked for me!). I was using the J. D. Robb site as a guide and found out about the separation into two books.

message 39: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 581 comments Really? Where did you look? I was at Borders last week and i saw it!

message 40: by Jonetta (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Really? Where did you look? I was at Borders last week and i saw it!"

I couldn't find it as an ebook. At the time, I was using a Sony Reader and it wasn't in their store.

message 41: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 581 comments oh sorry :( hope you find it soon

message 42: by Jonetta (new)

No, I'm good with only having read Big Jack.

message 43: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 581 comments Okay as long as your happy!

message 44: by Silvia (new)

Silvia | 3 comments The novella "Possession in Death" is actually published in an Omnibus with 4 other authors. It's titled "The Other Side", and came out in Nov 2010.
I have finished reading ALL of JD Robbs titles and am anxiously awaiting her newest novel, "New York to Dallas", which comes out in Sept 2011. She then has another novella, "Chaos in Death", within the anthology "The Unquiet", which comes out in Oct 2011. Can't wait....

message 45: by Jonetta (new)

Silvia wrote: "The novella "Possession in Death" is actually published in an Omnibus with 4 other authors. It's titled "The Other Side", and came out in Nov 2010.
I have finished reading ALL of JD Robbs titles a..."

That's considered an anthology. The omnibus editions are collections by the same author.

message 46: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 581 comments But, unfortunately I really really do not want to read the anthologies...the books with all of the other authors in them? I don't want to spend the money to get it when I only would read JD.

message 47: by Jonetta (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "But, unfortunately I really really do not want to read the anthologies...the books with all of the other authors in them? I don't want to spend the money to get it when I only would read JD."

I agree, which is why I like the omnibus editions. It requires patience. Last year, I was able to get a couple as separate books...I think it was the first one.

message 48: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 581 comments omnibus? are those the "Three in Death" kind?

message 49: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1037 comments Yeah, the ones that have multiple In Death books in them, rather than 3-4 short stories by different authors.

message 50: by Jonetta (new)

Thanks, Sara. Sorry, Elizabeth, for not responding earlier.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Celebrity in Death (other topics)
Hot Rocks (other topics)
Remember When (other topics)
Eternity in Death (other topics)
Strangers in Death (other topics)
More...