Huntsville-Madison County Public Library discussion

When You Reach Me
This topic is about When You Reach Me
Staff Picks > Staff Picks: When You Read Me by Rebecca Stead

Comments (showing 1-1 of 1) (1 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lexie Robinson Austin (LRobinson) | 83 comments (Children's) 3 out of 5 stars.
This was a fun little book. But it wasn't earth shattering or life changing. I didn't turn every page with bated breath. In fact, when I finished it I kind of wondered why it won the Newbery award.

Summary: "As her mother prepares to be a contestant on the 1970s television game show, "The $20,000 Pyramid," a twelve-year-old New York City girl tries to make sense of a series of mysterious notes received from an anonymous source that seems to defy the laws of time and space."

The plot moved along briskly and the characters were semi-well developed. I say semi-well developed because Miranda and her immediate family were very well developed. But some of the other characters just seemed a little strange (Jimmy? Sal? Marcus?).

All the reviews talk about this big mystery of time travel, but I had it figured out only 1/3 of the way in. I kept expecting some sort of cool twist but it never happened.

I think I would have enjoyed the story if there hadn't been so much hype about it. If I had just picked it up off the shelf completely unaware, instead of knowing it won the Newbery and had 4 and 5 star reviews all over.

Huntsville-Madison County Public Library

unread topics | mark unread