*Best Sellers* Book Club discussion

Water for Elephants
This topic is about Water for Elephants
Water for Elephants > Did you guess the murderer?

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue, Suey (last edited Nov 12, 2012 02:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 3081 comments Mod
In the opening pages of the novel a unknown female strikes a man in the head. Did you guess who this female was? Or were you surprised at who the actual murderer was?

Michael I was definitely surprised. When I got to the part in the book where the scene was described again, I had to go back to the beginning to figure out how I had been tricked. And I had to realize that they both were wearing pink sequins!

But more than that, I actually thought the victim was Uncle Al. Did anyone else make that mistake? The victim was just described as "that son of a b*tch" with a silver cane and a silk top hat, which superficially describes both August and Uncle Al (Uncle Al had an actual cane while August's "cane" was the elephant hook). Ironically, this reinforced my initial impression of the murderer because I actually thought it more likely that Marlena would end up killing Uncle Al than August, (maybe if Uncle Al forced her to stay with August by using one of his many unconscionable motivating techniques), and since Marlena had an unfathomable love for August that had kept her with him all those years, but no lost love for Uncle Al.

Jettcatt | 68 comments Isn't there a saying that an elephant never forgets...perhaps its true. I was not surprised as I don't think Marlena had the capacity to murder.

message 4: by Sue, Suey (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 3081 comments Mod
I saw the movie first so I knew who the murderer was and I think we knew who the victim was and if my memory is correct the murder was not shown until the end towards the end of movie and not before.

It maybe because I knew the murderer was that the murder mystery aspect of the novel was not significant for me as I was more focused on and enjoying Jacobs life journey.

message 5: by Michael, Mikey (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael Smith | 344 comments Mod
I also saw the film first and knew who the murderer was

unread topics | mark unread