The Next Best Book Club discussion

Cynthia's Seasonal Challenges > OFFICIAL SPRING CHALLENGE - 2009

Comments (showing 51-100 of 6,460) (6460 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1826 comments *Takes a Bow* Thanks for all the kudos - I was surprised to see so many posts when I woke up this morning. I really enjoyed putting it together - I think there is a good mix of tasks.

Here's the answers to your ?'s

Bonnie – For the military task – it can be historical military for any country – so yes as long as both are at least 100 pages (since it’s not a 5 point task) then they both count. Hemlock is fine. At/Cat is fine so is Fool/Rule – but it would have to be Belles or Bells/Spells to count. Midnight Sun would be ok – if you don’t mind reading the pdf file.

Lisa – Yes Harry Potter is fine for the magic tasks.

Jon – World is acceptable. The award you picked is fine. Unless/Prejudice – not so much. Since you can sometimes earn a profit with actual recycling I will accept ebay etc. for that. For the translation task – if you want to read a book in English it has to have been first written in French, Italian etc. As near as I can figure out Seven Years In Tibet was originally published in English so you would have to read it in another language to count it.

Jamie – Yes the Newbery Award Counts. Mother in Law is fine – but remember you can do the option of finding a book where the author/character shares the same name – it’s one or the other not both for that task.

Fiona – Yes you would have to read the whole book of short stories.

For ARIES – It should be Greek Mythology not just any mythology – I’m going to edit that post.

For the Poetry Task – I will make an exception to the 100 page rule – I’ll cut it to 75 pages.

message 52: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) One more question: for the task with attending an author reading/reading an interview by the author, is it okay to do it in the reverse order (ie attend the reading/read the interview first)?

message 53: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1826 comments Yes you can do the author/reading task in any order.

message 54: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Thanks, Cynthia. That helps a lot! (I also had trouble finding a book for my mom's name - Loretta - so I was hoping to use one of the books my mother-in-law has given me that I have been meaning to read for a long time.)

message 55: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 271 comments Thanks for answering the questions Cynthia!

Also, kudos for 9. Read a book from the TNBBC Top Books list…. There was debate about how to use that list and I think you managed it beautifully. You gave some leeway but still limited the choices in an interesting way.

message 56: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Cynthia Cynthia Cynthia

*bowing*

aah-aah Great One....we are not worthy !

Great job with the task list! Many of them are unique and different, and I like it that lots of them have the word OR in them too.

message 57: by Fiona (last edited Feb 22, 2009 01:28PM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I'm going to have to think really hard and dig through my tbr pile for these!

THE TASKS

5 POINTS
1. book:Hexwood|47528] - Diana Wynne Jones
2.Mozart's Letters, Mozart's Life
3.The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
4. It will probably be a non-fic.
5.Christ the Lord Out of Egypt A Novel - Anne Rice
6. Fanny Hill Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure - John Cleland
7. Well hmm, let's hope I read a book I don't really wanna keep! Eeek! I do give a few away so shouldn't be so hard...
8. The Understudy A Novel I think this is a humourous novel anyway. His last one was. David Nicholls
9.The Midnight Kittens - Dodie Smith
10.Would Stormbreaker count? It has the word storm in it sort of. Or The Raven on the Water as it has water which is rainy isn't it?

10 POINTS

1.Angela's Ashes - Frank McCourt
2. Not sure of the Mexican one, don't have any in my tbr might have to get from library, will find rec's later.
3.The Book Thief Wotsit the author is from Oz anyway.
4. Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver who was born on the 8th of April.
5. ??? does it have to be a real world magician magic or can I choose another fantasy where the character is a wizard or a magician? If so I might re read Harry Potter or The Pinhoe Egg by Diana Wynne Jones.
6. The Moonlit Cage A Novel if 'moonlit' counts? It's the only one I can find in my tbr so far, otherwise will have to look for recs.
7. This Thing of Darkness or an Elizabeth George book both of which books my mother loves.
8. Not sure about this, I'm sure I have one somewhere.
9. 5. The Kite Runner by Khaled H or The Bell Jar by 9. Sylvia Plath. (I'm 1985)
10. Mel was on the same page as I was, and the only name I recognised on the page. She awarded The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck 5 stars.

15 POINTS

1. I'm a Taurus and I have a collection of cowboy stories by Annie Proulx so I'll read all of them.
2. Collected Poems of Wilfred Owen
3. Either The Thirteenth Tale A Novel or Stardust.
4. I'm not visiting anywhere??! Well I've been to Winchester if that counts, what books are set there?
5. Haven't decided, they all look boring.
6. Oooh I have a selection maybe Dance, Dance, Dance by Karuki Murakami (Japanese) or Demons by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Russian)
7. Have to think about this one!
8. Again, have to think about this one. Portsmouth isn't very literary though P.D James I belive has given some talks but not sure if she'll be down anytime again.
9. Strange one! Black Swan Green A Novel by David Mitchell.
10. Err maybe I'll just re-read the HP series?

message 58: by Jamie (last edited Mar 13, 2009 06:18AM) (new)

Jamie This is what I've come up with for now:

5 points
1. Fantasy - Inkspell
2. Epistolary - Ella Minnow Pea
3. Spring Cleaning - Hard Truth
4. Planes, Trains,... - Sanditon and The Watsons Austen's Unfinished Novels
5. Lent/Book about Sacrifice - Persuasion
6. Women's History - Nature Girl
7. Arbor Day - Daisy Miller (Audio)
8. April Fool's Day/Humorous - The Code of the Woosters
9. Spring Animals - To Kill a Mockingbird
10. Rain-Related - The Lightning Thief

10 points
1. Ireland - The Poor Mouth
2. Mexico - Like Water for Chocolate
3. Australia - I am the Messenger or People of the Book
4. Author Birthday - High Country by Nevada Barr (March 1)
5. Book about Magic - Enchanted Inc.
6. Earth Day - Unaccustomed Earth
7. Mother's Day - Widow of the South (gift from mother-in-law)
8. Military - The March: A Novel
9. TNBBC Top Book List - I Capture the Castle
10. TNBBC Member's 5 Star - Dead Until Dark (Ashley)

15 points
1. Capricorn (Art) - Chasing Vermeer
2. Poetry - Where the Sidewalk Ends
3. TNBBC Group Read - The Bell Jar
4. Spring Break - Revenge of the Spellmans (San Francisco)
5. Award Winner - The Westing Game (1979 Newbery Winner)
6. Translated - Inkheart
7. Rhyming Books - OLD Friends and New Fancies & COLD Comfort Farm
8. Get to Know Author - Big Stone Gap
9. Color Book/Food - Anne of Green Gables
10. 3, 4, and 5 Books - The Well of Lost Plots, Something Rotten, & First Among Sequels

message 59: by Meghanly (last edited Mar 04, 2009 05:46AM) (new)

message 60: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger (EvaMarie22) Jon- one of Wally Lamb's book has twins in it as the main characters. I want to say I Know This Much Is True

I loved, loved, loved it and everything else he's written.

message 61: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger (EvaMarie22) I have really not liked being a Pisces and not it's even worse. LOL I'd LOVE some suggestions on PISCES: Read a book about a fisherman, fishing, sea life, marine biology etc.
I'm much more into non-fiction, like memoirs and such but do read some fiction and can deal with just about anything *if I have to*. LOL

message 62: by Elizabeth (NC) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 209 comments I love this list--there are so many choices, yet they are also challenging. What a fun task. I also found myself feeling a little old. I was happy to see whoever posted saying they were born in 1968--I felt like I had at least one contemporary! (mine is 1970.)
I can't wait to get home and go through my to be read list.

message 63: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger (EvaMarie22) There is ONE person who has made 4 comments total in this group on the page I'm on. The rest are all 2, 1, and 0. :(
I know I'm not the most active because I'm busy but I do participate when I can.

message 64: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) | 1053 comments Cynthia, I have another question LOL
For the 10 point task #6 Read a book with the word Earth, Moon, Sun etc..in it would Breaking Dawn work? I know it might be a stretch. hehe!!

message 65: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Does the book Stormbreaker fit into this task:

10. April Showers Bring May Flowers…
- Read one book with a Rain related word (rain, thunder, storm, shower etc.) in the title OR
- Read a book with the name of A TYPE of tree or flower in the title.

I presume 'water' would?

message 66: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 117 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I love this list--there are so many choices, yet they are also challenging. What a fun task. I also found myself feeling a little old. I was happy to see whoever posted saying they were born in 196..."

I'm REALLY feeling old ~ 1959 is a hard year to find literary awards for.

message 67: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 218 comments ♡ Eva ♡ wrote: "I have really not liked being a Pisces and not it's even worse. LOL I'd LOVE some suggestions on PISCES: Read a book about a fisherman, fishing, sea life, marine biology etc.
I'm much more into no..."

Here are some off the top of my head...
Jacob Have I Loved
The Terror A Novel
In the Heart of the Sea The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex (great if you like nonfiction)
The Perfect Storm A True Story of Men Against the Sea (also good nonfiction)

Also, remember the oldies...
Moby Dick
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea

message 68: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Jon wrote: "Oh..Scorpios, you could use The Alchemist too

ok..im really going to bed now, spent way to..."

really/ that would be good as I want to read that one for years already

message 69: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments ♡ Eva ♡ wrote: "I have really not liked being a Pisces and not it's even worse. LOL I'd LOVE some suggestions on PISCES: Read a book about a fisherman, fishing, sea life, marine biology etc.

Aren't there any by hemminhway or moby dick, not that I recommend that oen to anybody

message 70: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger (EvaMarie22) Jeane- if Moby Dick is my only choice this is one challenge NOT getting finished! LOL Tried that in high school and have NO desire to ever crack that again! LOL
I don't know about the Hemingway but I will look. I'm sure there are a good amount of books and I figured with so many different people with different tastes on here that some help might be offered. Thanks a lot!

message 71: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (Babies, Books, and Beyond) (MamaMunky) | 284 comments Geminis, I read an AMAZING book about twins not too long ago. I highly recommend it. It's called The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry.

message 72: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 116 comments Anyone have any suggestions for us Sags? Read a book about athletes or sports... I'm sure I could dig through my husband's stuff and come up with something on golf... But it's not my favorite reading material!

message 73: by BB (new)

BB (Espressogirl) | 8 comments Count me in. This should be fun.

message 74: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Sorry if this has already been asked: for the tasks where we have to read more than one book (like the 3, 4, 5 one) do we have to read the books consecutively as we did in the Winter challenge? Or can we read other books in between this time?

message 75: by Jen B (last edited May 31, 2009 11:31AM) (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) This is my list of books read and/or currently reading thus far.

5 POINT TASKS
1. The Tales of Beedle the Bard - JK Rowling (05/26/09)
4. When You Are Engulfed in Flames - David Sedaris (audiobook on my commute) (03/07/09)
6. Girls in Trucks - Katie Crouch (04/25/09)
7. Baby Proof - Emily Giffin (Read as an e-book at scribd.com) (05/15/09)
8. Naked - David Sedaris (03/17/09)

10 POINT TASKS
1. In the Woods - Tana French (03/06/09)
2. Sunstroke - Jesse Kellerman (05/18/09)
3. The Book Thief - Marcus Zusak (03/25/09)
4. Skinny Dip - Carl Hiaasen (Birthday March 12) (05/05/09)
5. Garden Spells - Sarah Addison Allen (04/08/09)
6. The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things - Carolyn Mackler (05/21/09)
7. The Sugar Queen - Sarah Addison Allen (04/21/09)
10. New Moon - Stephenie Meyer (Rated 5 stars by Darla)(05/18/09)

15 POINT TASKS
2. Nursery Rhyme Treasury - Gaby Goldsmith (04/06/09)
4. LoveHampton - Sheri Rifkin (03/18/09)
5. The Westing Game - Ellen Raskin (Newberry Medal in 1979) (05/05/09)
8. Fashionably Late - Beth Kendrick (03/11/09)
9. Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery (04/15/09)

25 POINT TASKS
1. Glamour - Louise Bagshawe (04/05/09)/ Roommates Wanted - Lisa Jewell (04/17/09)
4. Animal Farm - George Orwell (05/29/09)
5. French Milk - Lucy Knisley (graphic novel) (05/06/09)
7. The Devil Wears Prada - Lauren Weisberger (as seen in the movie "The Nanny Diaries") (05/29/09)
8. Just Listen - Sarah Dessen (04/11/09)/ The Truth About Forever - Sarah Dessen (05/02/09)
9. Everything I Needed to Know About Being A Girl I Learned from Judy Blume - Jennifer O'Connell et. al. (05/26/09)

50 POINT TASK
1. Can You Keep A Secret? - Sophie Kinsella (04/27/09)
2. The Gatecrasher - Madeleine Wickham (05/31/09)

[image error]

Total Points:380/575
Total Books: 28/47
Total tasks completed: 25

message 76: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments ♡ Eva ♡ wrote: "Jeane- if Moby Dick is my only choice this is one challenge NOT getting finished! LOL Tried that in high school and have NO desire to ever crack that again! LOL
I don't know about the Hemingway bu..."

I used moby dick for the winter challenge, surprise which task: a book you never finished!:-))))

message 77: by Mary Beth (last edited Mar 04, 2009 01:06PM) (new)

Mary Beth (MaryBethBaker) | 98 comments This is my first challenge, so we'll see how this goes. I'm aiming for 250 points....

THE TASKS

5 Points
1. Swallowing Darkness by Laurell K. Hamilton
2. Almost Like Being in Love by Steve Kluger
3. Dispatches from the Edge: A Memoir of Wars, Disaster, and Survival by Anderson Cooper
4. Eiger Dreams by Jon Krakauer
5. If It’s Not Food…Don’t Eat It by Kelly Hayford
(I had planned to give up junk food for Lent, so I found a whole book about giving up junk food!)
6. A Lady’s Secret by Jo Beverley
7. The River Knows by Amanda Quick
8. Jack with a Twist by Brenda Janowitz
9. Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore
10. The Feast of Roses by Indu Sundaresan
Category Total:

10 Points
1. P.S. I Love You by Cecilia Ahern
2. The Eagle’s Throne by Carlos Fuentes
3. In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson
4. The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman (March 16 – Same as my birthday)
5. White Witch, Black Curse by Kim Harrison
6. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
7. Getting Mother’s Body by Suzan-Lori Parks
8. A Very Long Engagement by Sebastien Japrisot
9. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (#19)
10. The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (from Andrea)
Category Total:

15 Points
1. Double Whammy by Carl Hiaasen (Pisces – Takes place at a bass-fishing tournament)
2. Forbidden Words by Eugenio de Andrade
3. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
4. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt (Savannah, GA)
5. The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie (1981 Booker Prize)
6. Out by Natsuo Kirino
7. The Last TOWN on Earth by Thomas Mullen /
The CROWN Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan
8. The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan (interview from BellaOnline)
9. The Red Scarf by Kate Furnivall
10. The Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis
(Books 3, 4, and 5 of The Chronicles of Narnia series)
Category Total:

25 Points
1. The Giver by Lois Lowry / Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen
2. The Ballad of Dorothy Wordsworth by Frances Wilson
3. From Eva: I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max / In the Cut by Susanna Moore
4. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
5. Washington Square by Henry James (Classic Literature)
6. Warriors of God: Richard the Lionheart and Saladin in the Third Crusade by James Reston Jr.
8. The Magician's Nephew / The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis
9. Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II by Robert Kurson
Category Total:

Category Totals:

[image error]

message 78: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger (EvaMarie22) Jeane wrote: "♡ Eva ♡ wrote: "Jeane- if Moby Dick is my only choice this is one challenge NOT getting finished! LOL Tried that in high school and have NO desire to ever crack that again! LOL
I don't know about ..."

I remember seeing that! I saw your post that it was the book you chose for that. I remembering admiring that you finished! LOL

message 79: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger (EvaMarie22) Can anyone tell me how to get to the group reads?

message 80: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Lynlee said: I'm REALLY feeling old ~ 1959 is a hard year to find literary awards for.

I'm having the same problem... I've never heard of the prize winners for our year!! If you find someting decent let me know!!

message 81: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (MaryBethBaker) | 98 comments Hey Eva, I just clicked on the group's bookshelf link in the top right corner...I think it's limited to group reads.

message 82: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments ♡ Eva ♡ wrote: "Can anyone tell me how to get to the group reads?"

click on the title THe next best book club adn then scroll completely down. The bookshelf you find there is with only books read for the group reads. I think there is another way but don't remember.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments Golly, 1959 is looking a little hard, Lynlee!

The only award winner I've even heard of yet is Elizabeth Speare, who won the Newberry for "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" that year.

Uh, Rex Stout won the "Grand Master" Edgar Award that year.... We are scraping the barrel here, aren't we?

Eric Ambler won the Crime Writers' Gold Dagger.
Bernard Malamud, the National Book Award.
Daniel Boorstin, the Bancroft Prize.

Does that help any?

message 84: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger (EvaMarie22) Thanks Jeane and Mary Beth- I'm trying to finish looking for books for the challenge and I'm a little over halfway done. :)
Thanks a lot!

message 85: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments ♡ Eva ♡ wrote: "Thanks Jeane and Mary Beth- I'm trying to finish looking for books for the challenge and I'm a little over halfway done. :)
Thanks a lot!"

I think so many of us are spending the day doing the same thing!!!!! enjoy too!!!

message 86: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 218 comments Eva - did you see my suggestions for your "fish" dilemma? Let me know what you finally decide on - it's an interesting topic to tackle!

message 87: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger (EvaMarie22) Mary Beath and Jeane- both links took me to the same place so you're both right! LOL Thanks again guys!

message 88: by Elizabeth (NC) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 209 comments Maggie wrote: "Anyone have any suggestions for us Sags? Read a book about athletes or sports... I'm sure I could dig through my husband's stuff and come up with something on golf... But it's not my favorite read..."

I really enjoyed Moneyball which is about baseball and how one team (I think the Anaheim Angels) chose their players using different statistics than most teams. I know it sounds kind of strange (and maybe boring) and I am usually a big mystery and science fiction fan, but I found it fascinating and it even made a little interested in baseball for a short period of time. There is also a mystery series by Harlan Coben where the main character is a sports agent--the Myron Bolivar series I think. They are his earlier books.

message 89: by Terri (new)

Terri  (TerriSA-UK) Wow! Great challenges ... thinking cap is firmly on!

message 90: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) 7. In Honor of Mother’s Day…
- Read a book where the author/main character shares the same first name as your mother OR…
- Read a book recommended by/given to you by your mother.

Does it have to be your Natural Mom or can it be your Step Mom?

message 91: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I guess for mother day it zould be okay to read a book by marian keyes of my mother her name is mariane...right?

message 92: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (Hayes13) Susanna wrote: "Golly, 1959 is looking a little hard, Lynlee!

The only award winner I've even heard of yet is Elizabeth Speare, who won the Newberry for "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" that year.

Uh, Rex Stout...
Eric Ambler...
Bernard Malamud...
Daniel Boorstin...

Brilliant... thank you!!

message 93: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments for the literary prize does patricia cornwell count? this is what wikipedia gave about the awards: Patricia Cornwell is the 2008 winner of the Galaxy British Book Awards’ Books Direct Crime Thriller of the Year award—the first American ever to win this prestigious award.
The only author to receive the Edgar Award, Creasey, Anthony Award, and Macavity Awards, and the French Prix du Roman d'Adventure in a single year for Postmortem (1991)
Gold Dagger for Cruel and Unusual (1993)[20:]
Sherlock Award for "Best Detective"[21:]
ECPA Gold Medallion Book Award, 1985 in the Biography/Autobiography category for A Time For Remembering".[22:]

message 94: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 117 comments Susanna wrote: "Golly, 1959 is looking a little hard, Lynlee!

Uh, Rex Stout w..."

Sure does! Thanks :)

message 95: by Elizabeth (NC) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 209 comments ♡ Eva ♡ wrote: "I have really not liked being a Pisces and not it's even worse. LOL I'd LOVE some suggestions on PISCES: Read a book about a fisherman, fishing, sea life, marine biology etc.

Eva,
The Zen of Sushi and The Secret Life of Lobsters should both count. I've read the first, but not the second. It is a very intersting look at the hisotry of Sushi and is non-fiction but also has some story type elements to it. I can't remember the author right off, but it should be easy to find.

message 96: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 218 comments For all of my fellow Sags out there who are struggling with Sports Books... I am a fiction lover by nature, so here are some links to Sports Fiction websites...
Young Adult Sports Fiction
Mainly Baseball and Basketball Adult Fiction

Have fun!

message 97: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Though I wasn't a huge fan of it, Grisham's Playing for Pizza would work as a sports book.

message 98: by Jamie (new)

Jamie I can't believe it didn't occur to me before, but one of my favorite books ever would fit for the sports task, too: Power of One. I don't particularly like boxing, but this book is wonderful!

message 99: by Eva (new)

Eva Leger (EvaMarie22) Thanks Elizabeth- my list is coming along nicely and I was still stumped on that one. I'm going to go check them out right now- definitely it sounds like something I could at least get through, if not like. :) Thanks!

message 100: by Liz (new)

Liz   (LizVegas) for the fellow pisces: Would Life of Pi work?

Also, Cynthia, can I use Crankfor the poetry task? It is a book written in verse...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Master and Commander (other topics)
Othello (other topics)
Ready or Not (other topics)
The Comedy of Errors (other topics)
The Truth-Teller's Tale (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Heinrich Harrer (other topics)
Joyce A. Tyldesley (other topics)
Christian Jacq (other topics)