The Next Best Book Club discussion

Cynthia's Seasonal Challenges > OFFICIAL SPRING CHALLENGE - 2009

Comments (showing 551-600 of 6,460) (6460 new)    post a comment »

message 551: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) So its 8.50am where Cynthia is?

message 552: by Beth F. (last edited Feb 28, 2009 05:51AM) (new)

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 342 comments Yes!

Or rather, 8:51

:P

message 553: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments We have five hours extra!!!!! I guess....

message 554: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Thanks Beth. I can post any points from 12pm (GMT) which would be 7am (EST)

message 555: by SusannaW (last edited Feb 28, 2009 06:16AM) (new)

SusannaW (SusannaUK) | 51 comments Thanks for all the 1966 suggestions.

Cynthia - you're a genius...! Thanks for uncovering Margaret Atwood - that will be a great read.

I managed to also find Marie-Claire Blais won the Prix Médicis in 1966, so that would be a good option too.

LOL @ Susanna. Maybe we should look for novels on doppelgängers...! :)

message 556: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 117 comments ITunes has quite a few author interview resources. My favorites are from Barnes and Noble ~ they have TONS!

message 557: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments for the task with the interview can it be an author you read already books from or has it to be an author you don't know yet?

message 558: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 116 comments Does anyone know, were the 25pt tasks being posted today? I can't wait any longer!

message 559: by Beth F. (new)

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 342 comments I remember hearing a rumor along those lines, Maggie.

I'm looking forward to their unveiling too...and the mad dash to my unread bookshelf to see if I can make anything fit. :D

message 560: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I am also patiently waiting!!! ladeeda...

message 561: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 116 comments Glad I'm not the only one slobbering over the computer this morning waiting to find out!

message 562: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1826 comments Sahara is fine for the Scorpio task.

Jeane - You can have read the authors books before but you have to read one of their books during the challenge for the get to know the author task.

message 563: by Jon (new)

Jon I just submitted mine for approval! - not sure if the official call outs happened though as the Winter ones not technically over yet

message 564: by Terri (new)

Terri  (TerriSA-UK) I can't wait to get started on this! I have an enormous pile of books on my bedside table!

Cynthia would you prefer us to post our proposed list of tasks and books here or is it ok if we just post as we go along?

message 565: by Jeane (last edited Feb 28, 2009 06:50AM) (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Thanks Cynthia. If you have somewhere time could you check if my last total is okay?

message 566: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1826 comments I'm going to post the 25 pointers that I have received now - I'm waiting on Darla's and there are 2 other people that are close to finishing the winter challenge - if they finish I'll post their challenges when I get them.

message 567: by Jon (new)

Jon Cynthia...now i cant go to bed for excitement, ill have to stay up a bit longer lol

message 568: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 116 comments Yowsers!

message 569: by Cynthia (last edited Feb 28, 2009 07:00AM) (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1826 comments SusieR - you can just post as you go along.

Jeane - do you mean your point total for the winter challenge or your task list for this challenge?

Oh and because of space I had to move the 5 point tasks up one post under the rules so I could fit the 25 point tasks in the second post.

message 570: by Jon (new)

Jon Nice work peoples - now i think ill stay up another hour and place some more books!... after all tis Sunday tommorrow (in sunny Sydney)

message 571: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Cynthia, just realized that I WAS UNDER THE SRPING CHALLENGE AND WAS TALKING ABOUT THE WINTER CHALLENGE.... oh and now I touched again the caps on this keyboard....

message 572: by Sandie (last edited May 31, 2009 02:56PM) (new)

Sandie (chocdrop) This is my first challenge and I doubt very much that I will get through all these books, but it has been great fun picking them.

5 POINTS

1. Sci Fi - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
2. Epistolary - Life's That Way
3. Spring Cleaning - The Amazing Maurice & His Educated Rodents
4. Planes, Trains... - Under the Duvet
5. Lent - Chocolat
6. Women's History - Metro Girl
7. Arbor Day - Jeff in Venice, Death in Varanasi
8. April Fools Day - Are You Dave Gorman?
9. Spring Animals - Orphan Lamb
10. Showers/Flowers - Purple Hibiscus

10 POINTS

1. Irish - PS I Love You
2. Mexico - TBD
3. ANZAC - Year of Wonders
4. Author Birthday - Behaving Badly by Isabel Wolff (May 13)
5. Magic - The Prestige
6. Earth Day - The Merchant of Venus
7. Mother's Day - Jane Eyre
8. Military - Nocturne
9. TNBBC Top Books - Atonement (92)
10. TNBBC Members 5 Star - The Golden Compass (Julie)

15 POINTS

1. Libra (Law) - The Testament
2. Poetry - England;s Best Loved Poems
3. TNBBC Group Read - The Book Thief
4. Spring Break - Blood and Stone (Peak District)
5. Literary Award - One Hundred Years of Solitude (Romulo Gallegos Prize 1972)
6. Translated - Kiss of the Spider Woman (Spanish to English)
7. Rhyming Titles - TBD
8. Get to Know the Author - The Hippopotamus Pool
9. Colour in Title/Food - Orange Laughter
10. 3,4,5 - Three Lives, The Four Feathers & The Five People You Meet in Heaven

25 POINTS

1. Karen's - The Gargoyle/Relics
2. El's - TBD
3. Angela's - The History of Love/The Memory Keepers Daughter
4. Ros's - The Colour of Magic
5. Bonnie's - Between Extremes:A Journey Beyond Imagination (Travel writing)
6. Jon's - TBD
7. Darla's - The Catcher in the Rye
8. Cassie's - The Subtle Knife & The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman
9. Sara's - Stupid White Men and Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation

50 POINTS

Sandy's - Running Hot by Jayne Ann Krentz & Second Sight by Amanda Quick

[image error]

message 573: by Beth F. (new)

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 342 comments Good 25 pointers, all!

message 574: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 116 comments 3. ANGELA’S TASK - Look for your first post in the Official Spring Challenge. Once you find it, look at the person below you and go to their profile and pick TWO books to read off of their shelves. If their profile is listed as private, go to the person below that person.

Do these have to be books that they've read, or any books they have listed?

message 575: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) 2. EL’s TASK - Read a Non-Fiction book about OR by a noted diarist from This List http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dia... who lived prior to the 1900’s.

Do we have to read a book about the author or something that they have written?

message 576: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (klonk) Fiona: "Read a Non-Fiction book about OR by a noted diarist". I think that means it can either be written by the person, or written about the person. :)

message 577: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Ok thanks. I was hoping it was a fiction book by the person lol. Will have a look in the library on Monday.

message 578: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Maggie- It can be any book they have listed on any shelf.

message 579: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) ACK! There are currently 41 books needed to complete the Spring Challenge, with a few more 25 point tasks left to come in AND a 50 pointer due at the midway point. Holy cow! I think we need to figure out how to read in our sleep.

message 580: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 116 comments 6. JON’S TASK - H.M. Queen Elizabeth II is 83 on April 21st, read a Non-Fiction book of at least 400 pages relating in some way to the British Monarchy past or present. Write a short Goodreads review and post a copy on the Spring challenge thread.

Anyone have any suggestions for this? I'm sure I can find something on any of the Tudors, but I'm thinking about stepping outside of the comfort zone on that. Of course, I LOVE the Tudors, so I might not!

message 581: by Elizabeth (NC) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 209 comments Oooooh, I love the challenge where I have to look at the person below my first post and pick two books off their to-read list. Eva is below me and she has over 1,000 books on her to read list (VERY ambitious!!) I can't wait to go through it.

message 582: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Yes Elizabeth- I had Suzie R. and I found quite a few that I have been wanting to read!!

message 583: by Terri (new)

Terri  (TerriSA-UK) Oooh hope you find something you like Angela!
I had Fiona - lots to choose from and managed to find quite a few that are sitting on my TBR pile!

message 584: by Beth F. (last edited Feb 28, 2009 08:24AM) (new)

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 342 comments I got Jon for the "person below you" task and found several that I've been wanting to read for awhile and TWO that I already own. Bonus to Jon for helping me clear out my "owned and unread" shelf! Bonus! Bonus!

message 585: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I am going to have trouble with Jon's task too... any recommendations Jon?

Also I read all genres, so for Bonnie's task what would you suggest for this? Is there a way to see what we read less of on our bookselves without having to go through all the books?

message 586: by Jon (last edited Feb 28, 2009 08:32AM) (new)

Jon for my task theres heaps but for great biogs try Alison Weir and Antonia Fraser ..Tudors aplenty plus more
this is a particular favourite: Elizabeth the Queen, for medieval theres Eleanor of Aquitaine A Life (married to an english King), the one the lion in winter is based on

Beth im honoured to provide for you lol - what did you pick?

message 587: by Terri (new)

Terri  (TerriSA-UK) Angela, I haven't read any myself, but Alison Weir's royal biographies come highly recommended. I'm going to read Elizabeth the Queenas I've had it for ages and not read it yet.

message 588: by Cynthia (last edited Feb 28, 2009 08:30AM) (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1826 comments Angela - If you have your books categorized with shelves like mystery/romance/fantasy - you would just read something on the shelf with the least number of books...but otherwise - maybe pick something from a genre you haven't read recently.

I added a link to a wiki-list of English Monarchs to Jon's task.

message 589: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Angela wrote: "I am going to have trouble with Jon's task too... any recommendations Jon?

Also I read all genres, so for Bonnie's task what would you suggest for this? Is there a way to see what we read less..."

I have trouble with this ine too.The only thing I normally try not to read or short stories and horror, so will have to maybe read that.

message 590: by Beth F. (last edited Feb 28, 2009 08:34AM) (new)

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 342 comments Jon said: Beth im honoured to provide for you lol - what did you pick?

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

Also, I'm going to chip in and suggest Alison Weir for the monarchy task for those who've asked. I've never read anything by her but have had friends repeatedly recommend her books to me so I'm going to try one, probably about Elizabeth I. We share a name so she's always been "my" monarch. :)

message 591: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Beth, i have to choose form your shelves1 Haven't yet because you have so many books on your shelves that I want to read anyway so it won't be difficult.

For years I want the read that one by ecco, still haven't.

message 592: by Jon (new)

Jon sounds like Alison Weirs getting some new readership then :)

message 593: by Cynthia (last edited Feb 28, 2009 08:38AM) (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1826 comments I'm going to read a Weir book for that task too - going back in history to Eleanor of Aquitaine A Life.

message 594: by Liz (new)

Liz   (LizVegas) The Lady Elizabeth A Novelby Alison Weir was a pretty good book. My first about the Tudors. AlsoPosie Graeme-Evans writes about the monarchy.

message 595: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (maggie4007) | 116 comments Thanks so much for the suggestions! I think Eleanor of Aquitaine: A Life sounds like the one! Thanks again!

message 596: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Also the link that was provided to El's task gives a list of diarists, but does not provide the years they were born... again is there any easy way to determine when an author is born without having to click on every single one to get a bio?

message 597: by Alisha Marie (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 715 comments Thanks for the suggestion of Alison Wier. I'm going to read The Six Wives of Henry VIII.

message 598: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1826 comments I think you will just have to click on the bios Angela.

message 599: by Jon (new)

Jon If you read Eleanor, make sure you watch/re watch Katherine Hepburns stunning oscar winning performance in the film too. Liz, Must be a non-fiction - even though Alison Weirs, just started doing fiction as well. Try a biog, just as gripping and all true!

message 600: by Beth F. (last edited Feb 28, 2009 08:46AM) (new)

Beth F. (quietknitter) | 342 comments For the diarist task, I'm going to try A Midwife's Tale: The Life of Martha Ballard Based on her Diary 1785-1812 by Laurel Thatcher Ulrich.

It's received high ratings and the subject matter sounds interesting...women's history...historical medical practices...sexual/social beliefs...etc. It's over 400 pages, but the reviews for it sound good.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Master and Commander (other topics)
Othello (other topics)
Ready or Not (other topics)
The Comedy of Errors (other topics)
The Truth-Teller's Tale (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Heinrich Harrer (other topics)
Joyce A. Tyldesley (other topics)
Christian Jacq (other topics)