The Next Best Book Club discussion

Cynthia's Seasonal Challenges > OFFICIAL SPRING CHALLENGE - 2009

Comments (showing 451-500 of 6,460) (6460 new)    post a comment »

message 451: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Cynthia, do we have to read the Rhyming books together (ie 1 after the other) or can we read them separately?

message 452: by Cynthia (last edited Feb 26, 2009 10:27AM) (new)

Cynthia (cynali) | 20 comments If anyone wants to read an inspirational book by a Mexican author I would try Carlos C. Sanchez. his books are incredible and they are translated from Spanish to English...

any suggestions for a book in the state of Washington? or Portland area?

message 453: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 48 comments For 10pt. question 6. Is star ok?

message 454: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynali) | 20 comments Heres my plan this is my first challenge, so I am not sure how many points I can do (200?):

Five Point Tasks
1. Science Fiction/Fantasy Novel: A wrinkle in time
2. Letters collection: 84, Charing cross road
3. Spring Cleaning: Twilight
4. While Traveling: TBA
5. Christian Fiction: Confessions of a closet catholic
6. Women's History Month: Girl interupted
7. Arbor Day: TBA
8. Humorous Novel: Naked
9. Spring Animal Title: A lion amongst men
10. Book with Tree or Flower: TBA
Category Totals:

10 Point Tasks
1. Irish Author: PS I love you
2. Mexican Theme: Inez
3. ANZAC Day: A town like Alice
4. Author B'Day in May: Of love and other demons
5. Book with Magic: Harry potter and the sorcerer's stone
6. Earth Day: Birth of venus
7. Mother's Day: Sinue the Egyptian
8. Armed Forces Day: TBA
9. TNBBC Top Books List:The book thief
10. Five Stars Member's List: Their eyes were watching god
Category Totals:

15 Points
1. AQUARIOUS: Life of pi
2. National Poetry Month: TBA
3. TNBBC Group Read: A great and terrible beauty
4. Spring Visit: TBA
5. Award Winning Author: Look at me
6. Translated Book: Youth in ecstasy
7. Rhyming Books: TBA
8. Get to Know the Author: Why we suck
9. Book with Colour Title: the green mile
10. 3-4-5: I think that I will end up reading harry potter 3, 4, 5 again for this one!

message 455: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1826 comments Fiona- no they do not have to be read back to back but you can't count the points until you finish both.

Victoria - I ok'd star for that task.

Washington State
On Mystic Lake
East of the Mountains
Debbie Macomber - Cedar Cove Series

message 456: by Jon (new)

Jon April - not read the book only seen the movie but isnt the Prince of Tides, half based in Florida (early years/flashbacks) - rest is New York

message 457: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Would you accept tiger for a spring animal?

message 458: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1826 comments Jen - I see no connection between Tiger and Spring so no.

message 459: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynali) | 20 comments Thanks Cynthia, your a doll!

message 460: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Cynthia wrote: "Jen - I see no connection between Tiger and Spring so no. "

Thanks, Cynthia. I managed to find another place for it! :)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1733 comments No, Prince of Tides "past" settings are South Carolina; Pat Conroy is from here in S.C.

message 462: by Jon (new)

Jon ah..ok.. there you go, i knew it was in the south somewhere!

message 463: by Elizabeth (NC) (new)

Elizabeth (NC) | 209 comments Cynthia wrote: "If anyone wants to read an inspirational book by a Mexican author I would try Carlos C. Sanchez. his books are incredible and they are translated from Spanish to English...

any suggestions for a b..."

Snow Falling on Cedars is set in Washington and so is Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, by Jamie Ford (I think that is his first name). I can't remember the author for either one

message 464: by Bonnie (last edited Feb 26, 2009 03:18PM) (new)

Bonnie | 271 comments Cynthia wrote: "any suggestions for a book in the state of Washington? or Portland area? "

I can't believe no one has said this yet: the Twilight series. It's set in Washington. I saw you already have the first one on your spring cleaning task, so if you get through that and still want to read more, you can read the second book in the series for the Spring Visit task.

I'm from the Pacific Northwest, so I hope you like your trip out there/enjoyed it if you've already been. It's a great area!

message 465: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 105 comments Cynthia for the following challenge:
A novel with one of the following in the title (woman, women, lady, ladies, female, feminine, girl, girls, maiden).
Is Babe acceptable? He he:) If you don't allow babe then how about madame?

message 466: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (sbranson05) | 556 comments Elzabeth wrote: "Snow Falling on Cedars is set in Washington and so is Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, by Jamie Ford (I think that is his first name). I can't remember the author for either one"

Snow Falling on Cedars was writen by David Guterson. I own it but haven't read it yet. I loaned it to my Grandma, though, and she seems to be enjoying it, although she did say it started slow.

message 467: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1826 comments Sandy - Babe (no), Madame (yes)

message 468: by Shaggy (last edited Feb 26, 2009 04:59PM) (new)

Shaggy | 1 comments I won't win by a long shot, but I'm game.

1. Fantasy: [Book: The Unlikely Ones]
2. Epistolary: [Book: Poor Folk], Dostoevsky
4. Planes, Trains, & Automobiles: [Book: Murder on the Orient Express], Christie
5. Women's History Month: [Book: The Secret Magdalene], Longfellow
6. Comedian bio: [Book: Moab is my Washpot], Fry
7. Spring animal: [Book: Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff]
8. April Showers: [Book: The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid]
9. Irish writer: [Book: The Best of Myles] (Flann O'Brien)
10. Set in Mexico: [Book: Treasure of the Sierra Madre]
11. Anzac Day: [Book: The Spare Room], Helen Garner
12. Earth Day: [Book: Venus on the Half Shell], Vonnegut
13. Mother's Day: [Book: The Bad Seed]
14. Sagittarius: [Book: Black Beauty], Sewell
15. Poetry Month: [Book: Under Milk Wood], Dylan Thomas
16. Translated Book: [Book: The Master and Margarita]

message 469: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (Affie) | 371 comments I haven't really posted much or tried any of these before, but I was wondering if the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis would work for Christian fiction in the 5 point section. (number 5). Thank you!

message 470: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1826 comments I'll allow TLTWATW for Christian Fiction.

message 471: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynali) | 20 comments Bonnie wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "any suggestions for a book in the state of Washington? or Portland area? "

I can't believe no one has said this yet: the Twilight series. It's set in Washington. I saw you already ..."

I absolutely love Portland, I lived there for four years!
I didn't know that twilight is set in Washington... makes it more alluring now!

message 472: by Jon (new)

Jon are any in the series of lion witch and wardrobe acceptable? most seem to appear as having been listed on christian shelves - i was planning on reading Magicians nephew

message 473: by Shannon (last edited Mar 13, 2009 02:40PM) (new)

Shannon I’m a Newbie, here’s my choice (subject to change depending on accessibility of books). Looking forward to fitting in all this reading – have fun, everybody!
5 Points
1. Northern Lights – Phillip Pullman
2. 84 Charing Cross Road – Helene Hanff OR
The Guernsey Literary & Potato Pie Society – Mary Ann Shaffer OR
Ella Minnow Pea – Mark Dunn
3. To be decided
4. Murder on the Orient Express – Agatha Christie – audio book in car
5. Jonathan Living Seagull – Richard Bach (inspirational instead of Christian)
6. Little Women – Louisa May Alcott
7. To be decided
8. To be decided
9. I heard the owl call my name – Margaret Craven
10. Before the storm – Judith Lennox OR
The rain before it falls – Jonathan Coe OR
The rose of Sebastopol – Katherine McMahon
10 Points
1. That they may face the rising sun OR Amongst Women OR The Barracks by John McGahern
2. Pedro Paramo – Juan Rulfo
3. In Tasmania – Nicolas Shakespeare
4. A prayer for Owen Meany – John Irving (2 March)
5. The magician’s apprentice – Trudi Canavan OR
The magician’s nephew – C S Lewis
6. Star Gazing – Linda Gillard
7. The virgin in the garden (Book 1 of the Frederica Quartet) – A S Byatt OR
Frederica – Georgette Heyer
8. First Light – Geoffrey Wellum OR
All quiet on the Western Front – Erich Maria Remarque
9. I capture the castle – Dodie Smith (I’ll be starting with this one as it’s on my bookshelf)
10. Private Peaceful – Michael Morpugo
15 Points
1. Zorba the Greek – Nikos Kazantzakis (Aries)
2. Collected tales & poems – Edgar Allan Poe
3. Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte
4. Dry store room no. 1 – Richard Fortey (London)
5. Ginger Pye – Eleanor Estes (Newbery Award 1952)
6. Seven years in Tibet – Heinrich Harrer OR
The three musketeers – Alexandre Dumas
7. How to be free – Tom Hodgkinson & The cruel sea – Nicholas Monsarrat
8. Second glance – Jodi Piccoult
9. The woman in black – Susan Hill
10. The fatal Englishman: 3 short lives – Sebastian Faulks AND
Four arrows & a magpie – N Scott Momaday AND
Five on a treasure island – Enid Blyton

message 474: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (Affie) | 371 comments With the Narnia books, I know that The Last Battle (the final book) is supposed to have the most obvious/blantant Christian undertones to it. Would that one work also? I haven't read any of them in such a long time, I don't really remember, but I recall all of them having those undercurrents of religion to them.
Either way, thanks!

message 475: by Jenny (last edited Feb 27, 2009 01:17AM) (new)

Jenny (sunnysweetpea) are any in the series of lion witch and wardrobe acceptable? most seem to appear as having been listed on christian shelves - i was planning on reading Magicians nephew

I didn't know that they were christian books. I put the lion, the witch and the wardrobe under that one as the other options are: a book about sacrifice (that's the one I was fitting it under) and a book about something you would or are planning to give up.

message 476: by Jon (new)

Jon yep C S lewis is a prominent Christian author - he wrote a lot of other Christian stuff - i had no idea till the film came out and they made a big fuss of the christian themes - Aslan = Jesus, sacrifice, blah blah. The golden compass series is seen as to a degree being the opposite ie from an atheist perspective and religion being aligned with dictatorship

message 477: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1826 comments I'll accept all of that series for the Christian Fiction task.

message 478: by Ashley (last edited Feb 27, 2009 07:30AM) (new)

Ashley (Affie) | 371 comments If you know what to look for, every book in that series is an allegory of a religious theme. Some are more prominent than others.
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is about the fight between Satan(the white witch) and Christ (Aslan), and the battle between good and evil. There are tons of symbols from the Bible, like the resurrection of the good and faithful people when Christ comes again (all the people the white witch turned to stone returning to life...) ETC. There are tons in that one. And Prince Caspian has a lot about believing in Christ, and having faith in him no matter what anyone else believes, etc.
If you know what you are looking for, everyone of those books has something there.
I haven't read all of them, and I thought now would be a good time to finish off the series, because it fits into several categories.
Thanks!

message 479: by Alice (new)

Alice (AliceG) | 254 comments Rora wrote: "I wouldn't think of The Chronicles of Narnia as being Christian fiction. You can tell it more in some of his other works though such as The Screwtape Letters and The Space trilogy."

The Chronicles of Narnia is Christian Fiction. The entire series is an analogy of Christianity. C.S.Lewis was a Christian and wrote a lot of books, fiction and non-fiction, which are Christian. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe has a very blatant Christian message. Aslan is meant to be Jesus. He sacrifices himself so that Peter (is that the right one or was it the other brother?) doesn't have die. He then comes back to life after he has died. It is an exact analogy of the story of Jesus and he wrote it to be so. There also other more subtle connections throughout the book which I won't go into!

message 480: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (sunnysweetpea) Wow I never knew all of that!!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments I would also say that The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is Christian Fiction..i went to a Christian University and I'm pretty sure that it was characterized as such for the same reasons that Alice stated.

message 482: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (Melitious) I remember watching the old BBC version (or something like that) at church, so I'd definitely say the Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe is Christian Fiction.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments for all you Gemini's out there..i think that's the twin one..i thought of a good one..The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.

also..for Libras..the one i am going to use is Mercy by Jodi Picoult.

message 484: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (Babies, Books, and Beyond) (MamaMunky) | 284 comments Ooh, speaking of CS Lewis, for all the Ares in the group, he wrote an amazing book called Till We Have Faces A Myth Retold and its a retelling of the Cupid/Psyche myth. It's a quick read but very good.

message 485: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (Affie) | 371 comments For the one for Arbor Day, if we just check the book out from the library to read it, rather than buying it, does that count as saving a tree?

message 486: by Charity (new)

Charity (charityross) | 1845 comments East of Eden by John Steinbeck also features twins.

message 487: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Cynthia, can u go to page 7 on here and scroll down and check out my list for what I have down so far and tell me whether its ok, as I am away on 23rd - 27th March and 9th - 11th April.

Thanks xx

message 488: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (Babies, Books, and Beyond) (MamaMunky) | 284 comments I have prob a stupid question. I'm in Korea and we're a day ahead. If I finished a book on the 1st my time, but the 28th your time, would it count?

message 489: by [deleted user] (new)

This is my first challenge, so this should be fun! If you guys have any recomendations I really need help for some more books. Cynthia can you check this out and see if these are all ok?

5 POINTS

1. Frankenstein-Mary Wollstonecraft Shelly
2. Not decided yet
3. My Sister's Keeper-Jodi Picoult
4. Not decided yet
5. A Shadow at Evening- Chris Wally
6. Not decided
7. Not decided
8. Not decided
9. Song of the Sparrow-Lisa Ann Sandell
10. Storm Theif-Chris Wooding

10 POINTS

1. Not decided
2. Not decided
3. Not decided
4. The Final Warning-James Patterson
5. Scholoarly Magicks-Caroline Stevemmer
6. New Moon-Stephenie Meyer
7. Not decided
8. Catch 22-Joseph Heller
9. Not decided
10. Life of Pi-Yann Martel

15 POINTS

1.The Lightning Theif-Rick Riordan
2.I'm Nobody Who Are You?-Emily Dickison
3. Not decided
4. Not decided
5. Not decided
6. Not decided
7. Not decided
8. Not decided
9. Code Orange-Caroline B. Cooney
10. Harry Potter books 3 through 5-J.K. Rowling

message 490: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) Lindsey wrote: "I have prob a stupid question. I'm in Korea and we're a day ahead. If I finished a book on the 1st my time, but the 28th your time, would it count? "

You're in Korea??? My family's in Korea, and we lived over there in 2000-2001 also. I peeked at your profile and saw you're in the army. Which base are you stationed at? I'm trying to remember which one was army. Chinhae is navy. I think Osan is air force... There was one up near Seoul, I think...

message 491: by Jenny (last edited Feb 27, 2009 12:21PM) (new)

Jenny (sunnysweetpea) Yay it works! I thought you guys may like this. If you go to http://www.tickerfactory.com you can make a progress bar. You have to make it under fundraising so you can have a target to work towards but I thought this was really cool.

[image error]

message 492: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (Babies, Books, and Beyond) (MamaMunky) | 284 comments Yep, I'm in Seoul. Yongsan Garrison is the name of the base.

message 493: by [deleted user] (new)

Jenny wrote: "Yay it works! I thought you guys may like this. If you go to http://www.tickerfactory.com you can make a progress bar. You have to make it under fundraising so you can have a target to work towards..."

What a cute idea! I added a ticker to the bottom of my list. :) Thanks for the idea!!

message 494: by Jon (last edited Feb 27, 2009 01:27PM) (new)

Jon Thats so cute Jenny!.. Bunnies on your marks!

[image error]

message 495: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (MaryBethBaker) | 98 comments Thanks, Jenny! I just added one to my list as well.

message 496: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 163 comments Cynthia-For the task that is read a past or present TNBBC read I was wondering if The Road would count...There is a thread in the monthly discussions folder and it is on the bookshelf but I dont now if it was actually selected or just started because a bunch of people were reading it...

message 497: by Jo (new)

Jo (Jo_Wales) | 1 comments Jenny has just told me about this group so I've just this minute joined. Will choose my books and post very soon. If I can't decide at this moment on every book is it ok to temporarily say 'not yet decided'? I can see that's what Caitlin has done. Love the progress bar, Jen!

message 498: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) Jen's ticker is cute, but I like Jon's cute bunny rabbit.... I'll make one later.... ;)

message 499: by SusannaW (last edited Feb 27, 2009 03:09PM) (new)

SusannaW (SusannaUK) | 51 comments I'm having real trouble finding interesting books - eg. the book prize author is a totally dire choice for 1966...????

And my mother's name is Mollie; which I think leaves me with Ulysses or Moll Flanders. There is no way I am reading James Joyce. I studied Portrait of an Artist for A'Level and lost the will to live.

I need help..!

message 500: by Charity (last edited Feb 27, 2009 03:45PM) (new)

Charity (charityross) | 1845 comments List of Literary Awards/Prizes

The Pulitzer Prize, National Book Award, and the Nobel Prize for Literature all go back quite a ways.

Mollie is the name of one of the horses in Animal Farm by George Orwell.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Master and Commander (other topics)
Othello (other topics)
Ready or Not (other topics)
The Comedy of Errors (other topics)
The Truth-Teller's Tale (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Heinrich Harrer (other topics)
Joyce A. Tyldesley (other topics)
Christian Jacq (other topics)