The Next Best Book Club discussion

Cynthia's Seasonal Challenges > OFFICIAL SPRING CHALLENGE - 2009

Comments (showing 301-350 of 6,460) (6460 new)    post a comment »

Meghanly | 218 comments I love that we have our own folder now!! So much easier to find. Cynthia and Lori ROCK!

Kristina (Dudett) I'm going to try to do as much of this challenge I can by just reading books that either me or my boyfriend owns, so that I finally make my To Be Read pile of books smaller.

Would Catch 22 fit for the "In Honor of Memorial and Armed Forces Day – Read a book about a veteran OR someone serving in the military"-task?

Jen B (jennybee618) "Angela wrote: "This will most likely change...

4. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles Task – Read or listen to a book while you are on a plane, on a train, or in a car (or other mode of transport li..."

Angela, I hate audiobooks, too! But I see that you have a lot of David Sedaris on your list, and he is actually great on audiobook. They're funny, and the shorter vignettes seem to hold my attention better than a long story does (I tend to not pay attention if the book isn't in front of me). So you might want to give him a try on audio

Hayes (Hayes13) Melody wrote: "I'm going to Bali in a few weeks time and I dont know of any novels set there. Is it okay to read a non-fiction as there is a book called Bali 9:The Untold Story which I would be happy to read."

or there's eat pray love... the last part is set in Bali.

Angela | 1934 comments Thanks Jen! I will do that because I really was not sure which author or book to use. I love to read, but I just think my mind will wander if I do the audio...

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) | 1053 comments Anyone have any suggestions for an author or character with the name Joyce in it?

In Honor of Mother’s Day…
- Read a book where the author/main character shares the same first name as your mother OR…
- Read a book recommended by/given to you by your mother.

Maggie (maggie4007) | 116 comments Joyce Carol Oates? I've read and liked a few of her books...

message 308: by Jon (last edited Feb 24, 2009 06:33AM) (new)

Jon Bonnie Thanks for the comments, actually my challenge this challenge is not to get so obsessive and plan my whole life around needing to get a book crossed of the list and how long it will take another chapter/finish this book!. So im going to try to take a bit of a step back in this one, ive got my list and ill just pick them up and see how i go without worrying about the scorecard too much. (easy to say now though lol!) - my last 2 Winter challenge books seem to be taking for ever! but ill get em done in Feb by hook or by crook!.
Oh.. Ulysses, yes a tad ambitious too, but heres the trick, i saw an audiobook at the library and turns out is abridged too, so will be bearable - ive had a sneak listen to a bit then put away for march - lots of great Irish accents!. I guess i wanted to feel i knew some ofthe book and its style without beating myself over the head with it - i can safely say theres no way im reading the whole tome!

Melody im curious about The Year of Living Dangerously set in Bali (or at least somewhere in Indonesia which is the same country) and i always loved the movie - Linda Blair won best Sup Actress (how good were the oscars everyone?! ..oh sorry off topic) had a young Mel Gibson ...its on my TBR list and anyone else is tempted, im thinking its written by an aussie so works for ANZAC task -Yep just checked hes born in Tasmania and moved to Sydney

Lisa you could use James Joyce if your brave!

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1830 comments Ros - since you haven't posted your books on gr then you may go to the books you have at home and pick the book you've had the longest but haven't read yet. You may use a past trip for the spring break task.

Catch 22 is fine.

Joyce Character
Thanks for the Memories
Everything Will Be All Right
Ordinary Monsters
I Wish I Had a Red Dress

Lisa Julianna (LisaJulianna) | 1053 comments thanks for the suggestions everyone...I appreciate it. :~)

message 311: by Bonnie (last edited Feb 24, 2009 06:54AM) (new)

Bonnie | 271 comments Does Cybele's and Spells rhyme? I pronounce Cybele as sigh-bel which would make it rhyme but I have no idea if that is correct (btw, the full title is Cybele's Secret).

Oh, and hey, I found a site that shows which words rhyme with whatever word you type in. Not perfect, but helps to generate ideas (it's really best with one-syllable words).

message 312: by Melissa (last edited May 06, 2009 12:12PM) (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1830 comments Bonnie - sure that's fine.

Stephanie (sbranson05) | 556 comments Bonnie wrote: "Stephanie--I've read both The Book of Lost Things and [b:The Guernsey Literary and Pot..."

Bonnie - thanks! I'm excited to get started. Most of these have been on my TBR for a while, so it's about time I got to them! :)

message 315: by Sara ♥ (last edited Feb 24, 2009 08:07AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1499 comments Lynlee4 - I LOVED Old Magic! It was REALLY cute!

I'm really sad that you guys don't like audiobooks! I was going to have that be my 25-point task--listen to and audiobook of at least 8 discs (9.5-10 hours)... But it seems quite redundant now. I started listening because I wanted to read, and my life was just so busy at the time that my in-the-car time was all I had to spare. I've fallen in love with audiobooks! It took me a while before I could pick up a book again, because it was just so nice to have people read to ME for a change!

On a different note, I'm VERY easily distracted, but if an audiobook is done well, and it's a book with a good story, I don't have any problems. I listen in my car, while cleaning house, at the gym--when I'm doing kind of mindless activities. Plus, it's great to be able to multitask--it makes you feel like you're accomplishing things other than sitting on your butt and reading. *shrugs* :)

BUT, if it's really that painful to you, get a YA audiobook. Some of them are only like 4 discs long. Of my 30 tasks so far, 7 or 8 of them will be audiobooks (that's all my library has).

I didn't realize Markus Zusak was Australian (his name sounds German, with all those Ks). I might read The Book Thief for that task instead of the one I had listed.

I also got my mom's recommendation late last night. She really came through for me! A Rose in Winter by Kathleen E. Woodiwiss! (It's her "favorite book of all time", apparently.) It's also now my ONLY romance novel in the entire bunch, which is a big improvement over the Winter Challenge. Of course, I still have a TON of YA Books, but I love them, so I don't care.

message 316: by Fiona (Titch) (last edited Mar 13, 2009 10:28AM) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) Here are mine so far and I will add what's blank when I decide.

5 pts Tasks:

1. GOOD OMENS - NEIL GAIMAN & TERRY PRATTCHETT
2. THE TRUE AND OUTSTANDING ADVENTURES OF THE HUNT SISTERS - ELISABETH ROBINSON
3. HORNET'S NEST - PATRICIA CORNWELL
4. SECOND GLANCE - JODI PICOULT
5. THE SHACK - W.P. YOUNG
6. NATURE GIRL - CARL HIAASEN
7. THE VOLUPTUOUS DELIGHTS OF PEANUT BUTTER AND JAM - LAUREN LIEBENBERG
8. THE SOUND OF LAUGHTER - PETER KAY
9. SECRET LIFE OF BEES- SUE MONK KIDD
10. KISSING THE RAIN - KEVIN BROOKS

10pts Tasks:

1. ANGELA'S ASHES - FRANK McCOURT
2. LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE - LAURA ESQUIVEL
3. THE THORN BIRDS - COLLEEN McCULLOUGH
4. A WOMAN WITHOUT LIES - ELIZABETH LOWELL
5. JOHATHAN STRANGE AND MR NORELL - SUSANNA CLARKE
6. EAST OF THE SUN - JULIA GREGSON
7. CALL ME ELIZABETH - DAWN ANNADALE
8. CATCH 22 - JOSEPH HELLER
9. I CAPTURE THE CASTLE - DODIE SMITH
10. MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA - ARTHUR GOLDEN (from Roxanne)

15pts Tasks:

1. THE BONANZA TRAIL - JOHN DYSON (TAURUS)
2. POEMS FROM THE LORD OF THE RINGS - J.R.R. TOLKIEN
3. THE BELL JAR - SYLVIA PLATH
4. THE VARIOUS FLAVOURS OF COFFEE - ANTHONY CAPPELLA
5. THE HAIR OF HAROLD ROUX - THOMAS WILLIAMS
6. FACELESS KILLERS - HENNING MANKELL
7. 19TH WIFE - DAVID EBERSHOFF & LARGER THAN LIFE - ADELE PARKS
9. RED LEAVES - PAULLINA SIMONS (having tomatoes & red peppers)
10.THREE DOLLARS - ELLIOT PERLMAN & LOVE IS A FOUR LETTER WORD - CLAIRE CALMAN & FIVE QUARTERS OF ORANGE - JOANNE HARRIS

25pts Tasks:

1. THE GLASS-BLOWERS - DAPHNE DU MAURIER & THE RAINMAKER - JOHN GRISHAM
3. THE HISTORIAN - Elizabeth Kostova & Labyrinth - Kate Mosse
4. BLACK BEAUTY - ANNA SEWELL

Charity (bigbookslut) | 1848 comments Yeah, as a stay-at-home-mom of two small kids, audiobooks would have a hard time fitting into my life. It would take A LOT of effort for me to listen to an audiobook. I barely have time for paper books. :-)

message 318: by Jamie (last edited Mar 02, 2009 10:26AM) (new)

Jamie 5 points
1. Fantasy - Inkdeath
2. Epistolary - Ella Minnow Pea
3. Spring Cleaning - Hard Truth
4. Planes, Trains,... - Sanditon and The Watsons Austen's Unfinished Novels
5. Lent/Book about Sacrifice - Persuasion
6. Women's History - Nature Girl
7. Arbor Day - Daisy Miller (Audio)
8. April Fool's Day/Humorous - The Code of the Woosters
9. Spring Animals - To Kill a Mockingbird
10. Rain-Related - The Lightning Thief

10 points
1. Ireland - The Poor Mouth
2. Mexico - Esperanza Rising
3. Australia - People of the Book
4. Author Birthday - High Country by Nevada Barr (March 1)
5. Book about Magic - Enchanted Inc.
6. Earth Day - Unaccustomed Earth
7. Mother's Day - Widow of the South (gift from mother-in-law)
8. Military - The March: A Novel
9. TNBBC Top Book List - I Capture the Castle
10. TNBBC Member's 5 Star - Dead Until Dark (Ashley)

15 points
1. Capricorn (Art) - Chasing Vermeer
2. Poetry - A Light in the Attic
3. TNBBC Group Read - The Bell Jar
4. Spring Break - Revenge of the Spellmans (San Francisco)
5. Award Winner - The Westing Game (1979 Newbery Winner)
6. Translated - Inkspell
7. Rhyming Books - Big Stone GAP & Miss MAPP
8. Get to Know Author - Chocolat - Joanne Harris
9. Color Book/Food - Anne of Green Gables
10. 3, 4, and 5 Books - The Well of Lost Plots, Something Rotten, & First Among Sequels

25 points
1. KAREN’S TASK - The Goose Girl and A Raisin in the Sun
2. EL’s TASK - Walden
3. ANGELA’S TASK - Pride and Prejudice and Ella Enchanted (Cassie)
4. ROS’ TASK - Bridget Jones's Diary
5. BONNIE’S TASK - The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid (memoir)
6. JON’S TASK - New Worlds, Lost Worlds: The Rule of the Tudors
7. DARLA'S TASK - ?
8. CASSIE'S TASK - I am the Messenger and Inkheart
9. SARA'S TASK - Old Friends and New Fancies: An Imaginary Sequel to the Novels of Jane Austen

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1499 comments Charity wrote: "Yeah, as a stay-at-home-mom of two small kids, audiobooks would have a hard time fitting into my life. It would take A LOT of effort for me to listen to an audiobook. I barely have time for paper books."

Read and clean at the same time while the kids are napping? ... just thinking out loud...

Charity (bigbookslut) | 1848 comments Well, only one of my kids takes a nap...and cleaning happens all day long. I just don't think audiobooks work for me right now. I think I'll save them for when I'm older and losing my vision. :-)

Charity (bigbookslut) | 1848 comments Of course, the kids are currently taking my hearing, so I may not be able to do it then either. Ha ha! :-)

Jeane | 4887 comments ♡ Eva ♡ wrote: "Jeane- there is a link that someone posted, twice I think actually, on the previous one or two pages that is a lot of help with the awards task.
You can click on any award link and then just scro..."

Thanks eva, I tried those out already but it seem to eb the winners and I am not satisfied with what I find:-)i also don't seem to know the authors so I was hoping to get some ideas from people with the same year. Till now I only saw posts one year before or after mine!:-)

Jeane | 4887 comments Cynthia wrote: "Bees is ok.

For the author task you have to go to a reading or read/watch an interview during the challenge - previous meetings don't count. Several authors on GR have video interviews posted on..."

Cynthia, that explanation is very helpful. I was wondering how I could get to know an author or find somewhere an interview of an author I read a book too!thanks

Jeane | 4887 comments Karen wrote: "Jeane wrote: "Is there anybody who found a book for the award task and is born in 1980?"

Hi Jeane, that's me! :) It was hard since most of them didn't appeal to me! However, just keep in mind t..."

Thanks Karen. But don't those lsit show only the winning book? I was hoping to find more choices with the chosen but not winning books.

Jeane | 4887 comments Cynthia wrote: "It wasn't suggested I don't think (if I missed it - there was a lot of suggestions I just couldn't fit in everything).

Feel free to lobby the winner's of the winter challenge if you want a task th..."

shhhhh, don't give ideas:-)))))

Jeane | 4887 comments Cynthia, for your fist added book, how does it work if you ahve for isntance ten books added on the first day. Can you choose between those or how do you choose?

Gabby R. I'll list my books on this post.

message 328: by Joanie (last edited Jun 01, 2009 04:53AM) (new)

Joanie | 711 comments I still haven't worked out all my books but here is what I've read so far.

5 POINTS
1. Read a Science Fiction OR Fantasy Novel. 1984 by George Orwell
2. Read an epistolary novel-84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff
3. Spring Cleaning: Finally read I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith which was my oldest book on my "to read" list
4. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles Task –
5. For Easter/Lent/Passover…
6. In Honor Of Women’s History Month Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner
7. For Arbor Day – The Heroines by Eileen Favorite (Audio)
8. For April Fools Day-Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
9. Read a book with one of the following Spring animals
10. April Showers Bring May Flowers…

10 POINTS
1. For St. Patrick’s Day -In The Woods
2. For Cinco De Mayo -Like Water for Chocolate
3. For ANZAC Day -People of the Book
4. Read a book by an author who was born in March, April, or May.
5. March 24 is Harry Houdini’s Birthday -Mrs. Piggle Wiggle Treasury
6. In honor of Earth Day (April 22)
7. In Honor of Mother’s Day…-I read Clementina by Eileen Dunlop-my mom's name is Clementina but she goes by Tina
8. In Honor of Memorial and Armed Forces Day
9. Read a book from the TNBBC Top Books list…
10. Members of the TNBBC have great tastes in books -Something Blue

15 POINTS
1. It’s Written In the Stars- CAPRICORN:
2. April is National Poetry Month
3. Read a past TNBBC group read-Brief and Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao
4. Read a novel that takes place in a location you plan to visit-Read Basket Case by Carl Hiaasen which takes place in Florida. I spent the first week in March in Florida
5. Read a book written by an author who won a major literary prize-I read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert O'Brien which won the Newberry Award in 1972, the year I was born.
6. Read a book that was has been translated from its original language-Love in the Time of Cholera
7. In honor of both Dr. Seuss’ birthday
8. Get To Know The Author Read Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult and listened to an interview about where she got the idea for the story
9. Read a book with a color-Read The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga and last night I ate pasta salad with feta cheese and potato salad-yes, it was a cookout carb fest!
10. March, April, and May are the 3rd, 4th, and 5th months of the year -I read books 3, 4, &5 in the Sookie Stackhouse Series by Charlaine Harris

25 POINT TASKS
1. KAREN’S TASK-A Great and Terrible Beauty & Rebel Angels
2. EL’s TASK
3. ANGELA’S TASK -2 books from Leora's list-Remember Me and Stuck in Neutral
4. ROS’ TASK -Read Watership Down by Richard Adams
5. BONNIE’S TASK -Read Case Histories by Kate Atkinson which is categorized as a mystery-not my usual genre
6. JON’S TASK
7. DARLA'S TASK-
8. CASSIE'S TASK-
9. SARA'S TASK -Seductive Poison (will add the rest of the words!)

Total points as of 5/31/09-175

Leora What a fantastic list! I can't wait to get going!

message 330: by Jon (last edited Feb 24, 2009 02:12PM) (new)

Jon I have an art suggestion for Capricorns - im reading it at the moment and really enjoying it, chocablock with art references, main characters an artist.

What I Loved /Siri Hustvedt

message 331: by [deleted user] (new)

I keep hearing that the Plum series are very funny. Would One for the Money work for (8) April Fools Day?

message 332: by Tina (last edited May 14, 2009 10:01AM) (new)

Tina My first Challenge, I'm so excited! Am I the only one who just spent a freakishly long time on their list? But what fun!

5 POINTS

1. Science Fiction OR Fantasy Novel. --- The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
2. Epistolary novel --- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
3. Spring Cleaning --- Fatal Waltz by Tasha Alexander
4. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles --- Classic Detective Stories (Audio in car)
5. For Easter/Lent --- Dying Declaration by Randy Singer
6. In Honor Of Women’s History Month --- Kabul Beauty School: An American Woman Goes Behind the Veil by Deborah Rodriquez
7. For Arbor Day --- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (ebook)
8. For April Fools Day --- Born Standing Up: A Comic’s Life by Steve Martin
9. Spring animals in the title --- Cockatiels at Seven by Donna Andrews
10. April Showers Bring May Flowers --- Gardenias for Breakfast by Robin Jones Gunn

10 POINTS

1. For St. Patrick’s Day --- The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
2. For Cinco De Mayo --- Red Glass by Laura Resau
3. For ANZAC Day --- Finding Grace by Alyssa Brugman
4. Book by author born in March, April, or May --- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (3/11
5. Harry Houdini’s Birthday --- The Prestige by Christopher Priest
6. In honor of Earth Day --- Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie
7. In Honor of Mother’s Day --- Sisterchicks on the Loose by Robin Jones Gunn
8. In Honor of Memorial and Armed Forces --- Snobbery with Violence by Marion Chesney
9. Read a book from the TNBBC Top Books list --- Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
10. Members of the TNBBC have great tastes --- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

15 POINTS

1. It’s Written In the Stars --- Between Sundays by Karen Kingsbury (Sag)
2. National Poetry Month --- 100 Best-Loved Poems by Philip Smith
3. Past OR present TNBBC group read that you haven’t read before --- Dracula by Bram Stoker
4. Novel that takes place in a location you plan to visit during this challenge --- Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kid (South Carolina)
5. Book by an author who won a major literary prize in the year you were born --- Up A Road Slowly by Irene Hunt (Newberry Medal 1967
6. Book that was has been translated --- 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
7. Two books with rhyming titles --- Try Dying by James Scott Bell AND Redbird's Cry by Jean Hager
8. Get To Know The Author --- The Source by James Michener
9. Read a book with a color in the title AND eat a meal that includes at least 2 foods that are that color --- The Black Hand by Will Thomas
10. March, April, and May are the 3rd, 4th, and 5th months of the year --- Miss Julia Throws a Wedding, Miss Julia Hits the Road and Miss Julia Meets Her Match by Ann B. Ross

25 POINT TASKS

1. KAREN’S TASK –
- A book which title starts with the letter G AND --- The Giver by Lois Lowry
- A book which title starts with the letter R --- River Rising by Athol Dickson

2. EL’s TASK - Read a Non-Fiction book about OR by a noted diarist who lived prior to the 1900’s. – Lewis Carroll in Wonderland: the Life and Times of Alice and Her Creator by Stephanie Stoffel
3. ANGELA’S TASK - Look for your first post in the Official Spring Challenge. Once you find it, look at the person below you and go to their profile and pick TWO books to read off of their shelves. --- Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury AND The Chosen by Chaim Potok
4. ROS’ TASK - Read a book that’s on the big reads list. --- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
5. BONNIE’S TASK - Read a book outside your normal genre --- The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren (nonfiction, self help)
6. JON’S TASK - read a Non-Fiction book of at least 400 pages relating in some way to the British Monarchy past or present. Write a short Goodreads review and post a copy on the Spring challenge thread. --- Sovereign Ladies: Sex, Sacrifice and Power – The Six Reigning Queens of England by Maureen Waller
7. DARLA'S TASK - Read a book you've either seen in a movie or heard referenced in a movie. --- Pride and Prejudice as seen in The Jane Austen Book Club
8. CASSIE'S TASK - For her friend Melissa (who told her about goodreads and is a YA Librarian): Read two young adult novels. --- I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith AND A Wind in the Door
9. SARA'S TASK - Read a book that has a title of 12 or more words. - Stolen Innocence My Story of Growing Up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride, and Triumphing over Warren Jeffs by Elissa Wall

SANDY'S 50 POINT MIDWAY TASK
Read 2 books by an author who writes under two different names. For example, Nora Roberts also writes under the name J.D. Robb, so you would read a book by J.D. Robb and a book by Nora Roberts. - The Man in the Brown Suit by Agatha Christie and Absent in the Spring by Mary Westmacott

message 333: by El (new)

El I saw someone a while back asked about a book to read for the Cancer topic (I'm sorry I don't remember who it was) - I found this list which might help you choose a book!

Melody | 564 comments Thanks for your suggestion Hayes. I read Eat Pray Love recently.

Melody | 564 comments Thanks Jon. I didnt know The Year of Living Dangerously was set in Indonesia. I remember seeing the movie years ago but had forgotten about it. I think I will do that one as I read another Christopher Koch novel a few months back and really enjoyed it.

Jen B (jennybee618) Linda wrote: "I keep hearing that the Plum series are very funny. Would [b:One for the Money|6853|One for the Money (Stephanie Plum Mystery Series, Book 1)|Janet Evanovich|http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/..."

I think it definitely would...it's hilarious!

message 337: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome. I think I am done with my list. I am going to look over it again tonight and hopefully post it tomorrow morning! I'm so excited to get started.

Lynlee4 | 117 comments Sara wrote: "Lynlee4 - I LOVED Old Magic! It was REALLY cute!

So glad to hear you say that! The only reason I bought it was the beautiful cover - I have no idea what to expect.

Lynlee4 | 117 comments Linda wrote: "I keep hearing that the Plum series are very funny.

There isn't a Plum book I haven't laughed out loud at. Enjoy!

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I have a feeling that this challenge is going to be huge... Were almost at 350 posts, and the challenge hasn't even started yet!

Cynthia, I think you might have to hire an accountant to keep up with scoring! ;)

Jessica | 1000 comments Ok, question on the mother's name task. My mom's name is Carol so would Joyce Carol Oates be acceptable or does it have to be the author's first name?

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1830 comments Jeane - it would be the very first one listed - even if multiple books are on the same day.

Linda - yep One For the Money is good

Becky - that's what my handy-dandy excel spreadsheet is for...lol!!!

Jessica - the authors 1st name should be the same as your mom's

Liz   (LizVegas) Ok, Here are my tasks. I'm trying so hard to use a lot of books I already have at home. My list is subject to change depending on the 25pt. tasks. My goal is 200 pts :)

5 POINT TASKS:
1. Sci-Fi OR Fantasy Novel:
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card

2. Epistolary Novel:
Suzanne’s Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson

3. Spring Cleaning:
Brother Odd by Dean Koontz

4. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles:
TBD

5. Easter/ Lent: T
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

6. Women's History Month:
Bright Lights Big Ass: A Self Indulgent, Surly Ex- Sorority Girls Guide to Why it Often Sucks in the City..
By Jen Lancaster

7. Arbor Day:
TBD

8. April Fool's Day:
One for the Money by Janet Evanovich

9. Spring Animals:
The Lion, Witch and Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

10. April Showers Bring May Flowers:
Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

10 POINT TASKS:
1. Irish Author/ Set in Ireland:
In the Woods by Tana French

2. Mexican Author/ Set in Mexico:
Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

3. Australian Author/ Set in Australia:
I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

4. Author Born in March, April, May:
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

5. Harry Houdini's B-Day:
The Magician’s Nephew by C.S Lewis

6. Earth Day:
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

7. Mother's Day: recommended by mom
Master of the game by Sidney Sheldon

8. Memorial and Armed Forces Day:
Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy

9. TNNBC Top Books List:
#1 I Capture the Castle by Dodie smith

10. TNNBC Member 5-star Book: from Lori (joined 7/26/08)
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

15 POINT TASKS:
1. Written in The Stars: (Pisces)
Sleeping with the Fishes by Mary Janice Davidson

2. National Poetry Month:
Crank by Ellen Hopkins

3. TNNBC Group Read:
East of Eden by John Steinbeck

4. Spring Break Location:
TBA

5. Award Winning Author: (from 1976)

6. Translated Book:
Blindness by Jose Saramago

7. Dr. Seuss/ Rhyming Books:
Never Let me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro and
Two for the Dough Janet Evanovich

8. Get To Know The Author:
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

9. Color & Food:
Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

10. 3/4/5 Books:
The Horse and his boy, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

25 POINT TASKS TBD
Goal: 200 pts.

message 344: by Sara ♥ (last edited Feb 24, 2009 08:24PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1499 comments Lynlee4 wrote: "Sara wrote: "Lynlee4 - I LOVED Old Magic! It was REALLY cute!

So glad to hear you say that! The only reason I bought it was the beautiful cover - I have no idea what to expect."

It's just a nice little YA book about magic and self-discovery.

message 345: by Nicole (last edited Mar 12, 2009 01:23PM) (new)

Nicole  | 140 comments This is my first challenge and I'm excited.

5 POINTS

1. Science Fiction OR Fantasy Novel - Timeline by Michael Crichton
2. Epistolary novel - Freedom and Necessity by Steven Brust and Emma Bull
3. Spring Cleaning - Nineteen Minutes – Jodi Picoult
4. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles - The Road – Cormac McCarthy
5. For Easter/Lent - The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
6. In Honor Of Women’s History Month - Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali
7. For Arbor Day (Audio) - The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz
8. For April Fools Day - Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
by Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman
9. Spring animals in the title - Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore
10. April Showers Bring May Flowers - The Winter Rose – Jennifer Donnely

10 POINTS

1. For St. Patrick’s Day - If you Could See me now – Cecelia Ahearn
2. For Cinco De Mayo - Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
3. For ANZAC Day - The Book Thief – Markus Zusak
4. Book by author born in March, April, or May - Heartstopper – Joy Fielding
5. Harry Houdini’s Birthday - Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
6. In honor of Earth Day - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
7. In Honor of Mother’s Day - Been There, Done that – Carol Snow
8. In Honor of Memorial and Armed Forces - Captain Corelli's Mandolin
9. Read a book from the TNBBC Top Books list - 17. The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
10. Members of the TNBBC have great tastes - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (Julie’s Shelf)

15 POINTS

1. It’s Written In the Stars - Libra: The Appeal - Grisham
2. National Poetry Month - What My Mother Doesn't Know by Sonya Sones
3. Past OR present TNBBC group read that you haven’t read before - Love in the Time of Cholera
4. Novel that takes place in a location you plan to visit during this challenge - Nature Girl by Carl Hiassen (Florida)
5. Book by an author who won a major literary prize in the year you were born - Mornings on Horseback: The Story of an Extraordinary Family, a Vanished Way of Life and the Unique Child Who Became Theodore Roosevelt by David McCullough (he won 1978)
6. Read a book that was has been translated from its original language - Eva Luna – Isabelle Allende
7. Two books with rhyming titles - GIRL with the Dragon Tattoo and Girl with the PEARL earring
8. Get To Know The Author - Breaking Dawn – Stephenie Meyer
9. Read a book with a color in the title - The Red Tent – Anita Diamant
10. March, April, and May are the 3rd, 4th, and 5th months of the year - Three Cups of Tea, Four Blind Mice, The Fifth Floor

25 POINT TASKS PENDING

message 346: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (last edited Feb 24, 2009 09:19PM) (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments can't wait to start this!!

5 POINTS
1. Science Fiction-Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
2. Epistolary Novel—Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
3. Spring Cleaning—The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac
4. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles—night by Elie Wiesel
5. Easter/Lent/Sacrifice—A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
6. Women’s History Month: Smashed: Story of a Drunken Girlhood by Koren Z.
7. Arbor Day: Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia by Maya Hornbacher
8. April Fools: When you are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris
9. Spring Animals: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
10. April Showers: Peony In Love by Lisa See

10 POINTS
1. St. Patty’s Day: Dubliners by James Joyce
2. Cinco De Mayo: Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
3. ANZAC: I am the Messenger by Markus Zusack
4. Author’s Birthday: The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides (April birthday!)
5. MAGIC: A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
6. Earth Day: Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
7. Mother’s Day: Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson (mom’s name was Lori)
8. Armed Forces: The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien
9. TNBBC TOP BOOKS: Reading Lolita in Tehran
10.TNBBC member: Love In the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez ..from the list of the lovely Petra X :)

15 POINTS:
1. Mercy by Jodi Picoult – LIBRA (about a murder trial)
2. National Poetry Month: Ariel by Sylvia Plath
3. TNBBC group read: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
4. SPRING BREAK: Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.. ITALY!!
5. Literary Prize: Old School by Tobia Wolff (PEN FAULKNER 1985)
6. Translated Book: Crime and Punishment by
7. RHYMING: the KITE runner & Through Painted Deserts: LIGHT, God, and Beauty on the Open Road
8. Get To Know the Author: A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
9. COLOR & FOOD: The Red Tent by Anita Diament
10. 3/4./5:
3- Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace . . . One School at a Time
4- 1984 by George Orwell
5- The Five Love Languages

25 POINTS:
TBA

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (Titch) 5. Read a book written by an author who won a major literary prize (Nobel, Pulitzer etc.) in the year you were born (it does not have to be the book they won the award for).

Can I read The Hair of Harold Roux - Thomas Williams .

Elizabeth (NC) | 209 comments Ok, I did the organize my books by the date added and the first book on my list is a graphic novel--I got excited because I haven't read any of those before, but then I looked more closely and realized it is The Arrival, which is a WORDLESS graphic novel. I'm assuming I should go to the next one on the list, or would this one count?

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments Kristina wrote: "Does anyone know any good books about Gods, Mythology or Greece? I happen to be an Aries. "

I'm going to read "Lightning Thief" for that one - It is about Greek Gods coming to life.

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments Elizabeth wrote: " I also found myself feeling a little old. I was happy to see whoever posted saying they were born in 1968--

1962 here - it gives me some great choices ;-)