*Best Sellers* Book Club discussion

Water for Elephants
This topic is about Water for Elephants
Water for Elephants > Water For Elephants - Performers vs Workers

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue, Suey (last edited Nov 10, 2012 01:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 2941 comments Mod
Considering that Performers and Workers are so mutually dependent on each other why is there such a 'them vs us' mentality and does it exist in your workplace?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I have always wonder about that in every day life too. I goes on in my work place too in certain demartments that is as i work in a supermarket.

Jettcatt | 68 comments yes I think it exists today in a certain way, managers are always looked at differently than workers. Qualifications can cause the divide in the work place also. as this book was set in the past it is essential to understand that social standing was very important and it was not the done thing to cross social boundries.

message 4: by Sue, Suey (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 2941 comments Mod
I think the them vs us mentality exists between performers vs workers because the performers are treated better in terms of respect, accomodation and pay. The workers were treated badly because they had poor accomodation, if the circus was doing badly they were less likely to be paid. Also the workers were disposable items in that they could be redlighted - thrown off a moving train. Perhaps Jacob was the only one to move between the workers and performers.

In the enviroment I work in the hospital, I feel like to are a lot of 'thems' e.g. managers doctors, consultants, social workers, physiotherapists etc. The 'us' are the the nursing team, but even within the nursing team there are also subdivision of 'them and us' that is the manager, the trained nurses and the support workers. Sometimes if feels like a battleground at work.

message 5: by Michael, Mikey (new) - rated it 3 stars

Michael Smith | 344 comments Mod
It is big part of life and will be forever there is always going.toe someone higher than someone else due to responsibility and social background even today. There must be a balance for society to work even if that means having higher status people.

unread topics | mark unread