Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2009 Challenge Archive > March - Pick it For Me!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 153) (153 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Mar 06, 2009 05:04PM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Explanation:
Ever do a secret santa or xmas exchange?
This is JUST like that, except instead of a gift you will be giving the person, it will be the choice of BOOK they must read for the month.

We will be doing this via sign ups, then the names will be randomly done and assigned.
Whatever name you get, you choose the book they must read, preferably the book chosen should not be in their TBR list. This is the whole point of the challenge! ;)
After the book is read they will post that they are done as well as how they liked the book chosen, with a short or long review.

Post in this thread if you are interested please! Also post with questions if you are unsure.
(clearly mark that you are playing in your post please also!)

BOOK CHOOSER - > PARTICIPANT
Tricia -> Sarah (Tricia has chosen At the Edge by Cait London)

Yz -> Lara (Yz has chosen It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips)

OEWDvictim /Courtney -> Moss (Courtney has chosen Twilight by Stephenie Meyer or Naked by David Sedaris)

Briansgirl -> Jessi (BriansGirl has chosen Murder List A Novel by Julie Garwood)

Jael/Moss -> Courtney (Moss has chosen Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman)

Kasia -> Tammy (Kasia has chosen Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause)

Nikki -> Tricia (Nikki has chosen 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover by Linda Wisdom)

Barbara -> Yz (Barbara has chosen The Dark One The Wild Wulfs of London 1 by Ronda Thompson)

Lori -> OEWDvictim (Lori has chosen City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Sarah -> Jes (Sarah has chosen The Luxe by Anna Godberson)

Melissa -> Jael (Melissa has chosen The Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty)

Jessi -> Kasia (Jessie has chosen Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur)

Lara -> Sheree (Lara has chosen Dead Witch Walking Rachel Morgan Series 1 by Kim Harrison)

Tammy -> Nikki (Tammy has chosen True Colors by Kristin Hannah)

Amanda -> Barbara (Amanda has chosen The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger)

Annie -> BriansGirl (Annie has chosen Sorcery and Cecelia by Patricia C Wrede & Caroline Stevermer)

Sheree -> Lori (Sheree has chosen The Bride Finder by Susan Carroll)

Mel -> Glori (Mell has chosen Bitten by Kelley Armstrong)

Jes -> Annie (Jes has chosen The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins)

Glori -> Amanda (Glori has chosen Falling Awake by Jayne Ann Krentz)

Courtney -> Melissa (Courtney has chosen Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin)

Moss -> Mel (Moss has chosen Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr)

To explain this is NOT pairs. One person chooses for another person in the group. All names have been chosen out of the virtual hat (so to speak)

The arrow after your name is who you are choosing the book for.

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments signing up!

message 3: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments count me in!

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Although I haven't gotten around to my Feb pick it for me book I'm signing up for this one.

Kasia I'm game

Nikki ♥ | 1173 comments I'm in.

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 367 comments Yes, please!

Melissa | 1053 comments Me too!

Jessi  (JessiM) | 131 comments I'm in!

Lara | 109 comments I'm in!

Tammy | 43 comments i'm in!

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 206 comments Count me in!

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) I'll give it a go

Sheree | 21 comments Count me in again please

Malena (thefieryheartNZ) | 72 comments I'm in!

Jes | 15 comments Sign me up please!

Glori (divina) | 37 comments I'm in!

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments I am making the deadline for sign ups on Feb 28th.
That gives members a chance to get the book on the first week of the month (via purchase or library) and have 3 weeks to read it in :)

Kasia sounds fair Tricia >:)

Courtney (cddimmitt) If I'm not too late, I'd like to try this. Can I still sign up?

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Ditto as above. One day late! Hope I can jump in.

message 26: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Mar 01, 2009 06:11AM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Aye I am doing names today so you guys are just in time! :D When you have chosen the book, please post here in this thread so I can edit the initial post.

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Also, I randomly do the names. And I really dont keep track of who got who last time. So I am hoping there will be no repeats as to who gets who from last time but I cant make any promises hehe.
It shouldn't be a huge issue since this is for fun anyhow :)

message 28: by ♥Tricia♥ (last edited Mar 01, 2009 06:25AM) (new)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Sarah - WOW it was so hard for me to choose for you at first because you have SO many books on your shelves hehe

But I choose: At the Edge by Cait London

At the Edge (Psychic Triplet Trilogy, Book 1) by Cait London

message 29: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Mar 01, 2009 06:24AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments For Lara,

I know you are planning to read Susan Elizabeth Phillips' Heaven, Texas for our March Challenge. Since it's the second book in SEP's Chicago Stars series, I'm going to pick for you for this challenge It Had to Be You, the first book in the series.

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is one of my favorite contemporary romance authors, and It Had to be You is a delightful combination of humor and heartfelt emotions. And if you are not laughing at the opening funeral scene...LOL...oh well..LOL..

It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, 1) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Kasia For Tammy I recommend:

Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause

I've noticed you like romance, paranormal stuff and you don't mind little YA stuff (yeah I'm thinking Twilight here, LOL). So I came up with Blood and Chocolate, you have The Silver Kiss by the same author on your TBR, so this shouldn't be too much of a stretch. I've read both and I liked B&C better. If you're discouraged by the movie, don't be, it's nothing like the book. If you haven't heard about the movie, don't watch it, it's utter crap; grab the book instead. I looooved it, and I'm pretty sure you'll do to.

Courtney (cddimmitt) Melissa,
we have so many of the same books on our lists! For you I choose Love the One You're With by Emily Giffin. You have her other books on your list. I've read all of them and enjoyed them all. I hope you enjoy!

Barbara ★ | 2253 comments Yz,
Ronda Thompson - The Dark One (The Wild Wulfs of London #1)

In perusing your lists, I noticed you really like paranormal romance so I'm going to broaden your horizons with a terrific author you haven't read before. I really loved this werewolf tale and it has a place of honor on my keeper shelf!

Don't panic it's not another huge series. (I wouldn't wish my addiction on anyone...friend or foe.) So far, there are only 2 books in the series with the second one printed in 2006. Though I do think there is finally to be a third book this year.

Nikki ♥ | 1173 comments Tricia,
I'll choose 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover by Linda Wisdom. It's a fun paranormal romance, and the first in a series. As of now there are only 3 books out. I hope you enjoy it.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Annie, feel free to pick something for me off my massive unread shelves as I've got a large library I havn't touched yet. Need a nudge to pick some of them up. lol Also, if it helps, here's a link to my local library so you can see if they have the book you're recommending: http://www.hastings.lib.ne.us/ (I can't afford to go out and buy any right now)

message 35: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Mar 01, 2009 02:54PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) For Jessi,

Murder List A Novel by Julie Garwood

It's one of her new suspenseful romance novels. I don't read PNR to know what to recommend for that but saw that you have some suspenseful romances on your read list. Hope you like it. I think I've read it (can't remember) but I love this author so it should be good. As an alternative, a suspensful romance I've read several times is The Waterfall by Carla Neggers.

message 36: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 8846 comments Barbara wrote: "Yz,
Ronda Thompson - The Dark One (The Wild Wulfs of London #1)

In perusing your lists, I noticed you really like paranormal romance so I'm going to broaden your horizons with a terrific auth..."

Barbara,

Too late about the addiction part. I basically live and breathe books these days, and used GR as a substitute when I'm not reading.

I read the blurb and it sounded like something I would enjoy reading. I looked it up in my library system, and it's available, so I've requested it for home delivery.

Thanks for the recommendation.

message 37: by Jessi (last edited Mar 01, 2009 11:39AM) (new)

Jessi  (JessiM) | 131 comments For Kasia, I pick Full Moon Rising by Keri Arthur. I saw on your list that you haven't read any of her books yet, and I though you might enjoy them. I did, this series is really good.

There, got the right person this time! :)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Jessi you have Kasia :)

There are 2 Jes types in the list hehe

Jessi  (JessiM) | 131 comments OOPs, soory bout that

message 40: by Kasia (last edited Mar 01, 2009 12:02PM) (new)

Kasia Thanks, Jessi.

I just added the book to the TBR. I even managed to miss all the confusion here, so no stress. I look forward to Full Moon Rising, seems like my kind of book :D

Lara | 109 comments Yz wrote: "For Lara,

I know you are planning to read Susan Elizabeth Phillips' Heaven, Texas for our March Challenge. Since it's the second book in SEP's Chicago Stars series, I'm going to pick for you fo..."

Thanks for that, Yz! I am very excited!

Malena (thefieryheartNZ) | 72 comments For Glori I pick:

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong.

I see you like paranormal books. I hope you enjoy!

Barbara ★ | 2253 comments Yz wrote: I read the blurb and it sounded like something I would enjoy reading. I looked it up in my library system, and it's available, so I've requested it for home delivery.

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it.

message 44: by Glori (last edited Mar 01, 2009 03:03PM) (new)

Glori (divina) | 37 comments Hi Amanda:

I came up with two options for your March Pick It For Me challenge. My first pick is Falling Awake (Jayne Ann Krentz). My alternate pick comes from your TBR list: Slave to Sensation (Nalini Singh).

Glori (divina) | 37 comments Mel wrote: "For Glori I pick:

Bitten by Kelley Armstrong.

I see you like..."

Hi Mel:

Thank you for the book pick. I ordered Bitten from my local library. The online synopsis piqued my curiosity.

Moderatrix Lori  (ModeratrixLori) Okay, I have to laugh because Sheree got me again this month. I like what you picked for me last month so I'm in good hands :)

♥Tricia♥ (WickedEnchantment) | 407 comments Doh I was hoping that didnt happen :( Would be so much more work if I had to prevent that lol

(hides)

message 48: by Tammy (last edited Mar 01, 2009 04:57PM) (new)

Tammy | 43 comments Hi nikki

I thought this one might be a good for you.True Colorsby kristin hannah.
I read it and i thought it was sooo good. I hope you like it.Second pick if you cant find this in paperback , is Dream Countryluanne rice

Jessi  (JessiM) | 131 comments Briansgirl wrote: "For Jessi,

Murder List A Novel by Julie Garwood

It's one of her new suspens..."

Thanks, Brainsgirl. That book sounds pretty interesting!! I can't wait to check it out.

message 50: by Melissa (last edited Mar 13, 2009 01:58AM) (new)

Melissa | 1053 comments Courtney wrote: "Melissa,
we have so many of the same books on our lists! For you I choose Love the One You're With for some reason. This will get me to actually pick it up. I did really enjoy her other books. Good choice!

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.