Aiossa's Senior 5/6 Class discussion

The Glass Castle
This topic is about The Glass Castle
Francisco Ponce Book Review #Trois

Comments (showing 1-1 of 1) (1 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Francisco Ponce | 5 comments 1. The book "The Glass Castle", by Jeannette Walls is the remarkable story of how she overcame obstacles in her childhood and teenage years despite all odds. Her parents were not rich and even sometimes did things like eat spoiled ham and from the trash cans in order to survive. Throughout the book there is a recurring theme of her dad telling the children, especially Wall, that he would one day build them a Glass Castle, hence the name of the book. Aside from all of the negative things in Walls' life, she kept a good relationship with her parents until she became successful, and they will, did not.
2. This book deserves a 5 out of 5 star rating. It has all of the elements of great story telling and her descriptions are so vivid that you can imagine yourself next to her picking out of a trashcan or her physically abusive childhood.
3. “One time I saw a tiny Joshua tree sapling growing not too far from the old tree. I wanted to dig it up and replant it near our house. I told Mom that I would protect it from the wind and water it every day so that it could grow nice and tall and straight. Mom frowned at me. "You'd be destroying what makes it special," she said. "It's the Joshua tree's struggle that gives it its beauty", Jeannette Walls. This quote is referring to a Joshua tree that they would come back to and was special to her parents. The mom makes a valid point that many things become beautiful through all the struggle. This could have a double meaning because although Walls had a less than perfect childhood she was able to overcome it.
4. This book is current to what we are learning in class through 2 ways. We turned in our memoirs that pertain to a certain theme in our lives which is what Walls stuck to. Also we are writing children books about controversial topics which is similar to what Walls did, she talked about a hidden poverty that not many people knew about.
5. This book would be perfect for people who have gone through something similar as her, whether it be poverty, abuse, or being able to get through it all. Walls' audience is broad for this book because it can hit home for people on almost anything she writes about. Teenagers and adults will enjoy, or rather learn from this book which hopefully gives the reader a different perspective about poverty like it did for me.

unread topics | mark unread