The Giver (The Giver, #1) The Giver discussion

The ending--spoilers are expected

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kenna I was confused about the ending, did they die? It seemed like Jonas and Gabe were in heaven and all of Jonas' memories were real there. Thoughts?

Tirzah It seems like a lot of people don't realize there are 3 companion books after "The Giver." Gathering Blue Messenger and especially Son will hopefully answer any questions you may have.

Wendy Tirzah wrote: "It seems like a lot of people don't realize there are 3 companion books after "The Giver." Gathering Blue Messenger and especially Son will hopefully answer any questions you may have."

That might be because schools don't teach the other books--or at least my school didn't. No sequels or companion books were mentioned--we read The Giver, analyzed it on its own, and moved on to other, less interesting books.

Heather Berkowitz Tirzah wrote: "It seems like a lot of people don't realize there are 3 companion books after "The Giver." Gathering Blue Messenger and especially Son will hopefully answer any questions you may have."

I had no idea there were additional books until I read something about it a few weeks ago in.. Time I think? Actually I'm not sure where I read about them but I really want to read them! Agreeing with a couple of others who have mentioned that school only talks about the 1st one.

message 5: by Dee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dee the 2-4 books weren't written until like 10 years after the first one which is likely why they aren't mentioned as frequently - I like how the first book remains ambiguous and you don't really know what happens - it leaves it open to some great discussions

Kenna Tirzah wrote: "It seems like a lot of people don't realize there are 3 companion books after "The Giver." Gathering Blue Messenger and especially Son will hopefully answer any questions you may have."

I did know that there were more books, but did you know Jonas isn't even in any of those books?

Tirzah Kenna wrote: "Tirzah wrote: "It seems like a lot of people don't realize there are 3 companion books after "The Giver." Gathering Blue Messenger and especially Son will hopefully answer any questions you may hav..."

He's actually in "Messenger," but is referred to as Leader. He is also in the last book "Son." You also find out about what happened to Gabe in "Son."

Natalia Kenna wrote: "I was confused about the ending, did they die? It seemed like Jonas and Gabe were in heaven and all of Jonas' memories were real there. Thoughts?"

i hope they didnt die, I'm thinking he has just fallen unconsious, since there are 3 books to the story, I hope he reaches the village that he has seen.

message 9: by Natalia (last edited Nov 12, 2012 07:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Natalia Kenna wrote: "Tirzah wrote: "It seems like a lot of people don't realize there are 3 companion books after "The Giver." Gathering Blue Messenger and especially Son will hopefully answer any questions you may hav..."

I read some where that he was going to be mentioned on the last book.

message 10: by Aurélie (new)

Aurélie Jonas is not only mentioned in the last book. He actually is an important character in the last part of "Son". It wraps up everything and gives, in my opinion, a very satisfying ending to the series. We also find out what happened to Gabe and to basically every character that has been introduced in the earlier books. All four of them are very good, although if "The Giver" is, for me, the best.
You should really read the last three books, you will not be disappointed if you liked "The Giver".

Kenna I just read "Gathering Blue" and it was amazing! No mention of Jonas and Gabe but just as good!

Marlis I read this book to so many 7th grade reading classes that I nearly have it memorized. One bright girl was displeased with the ending, so she wrote a letter to the author and asked, "Did Jonas and Gabe make it or did they die?"
The author responded, "Oh, they definitely made it. Jonas is the blue-eyed boy in the next book." My students read the sequels but found them not as exciting as The Giver. It was awesome!

message 13: by Lia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lia really great book though i still have a lot of questions! i just finished the last book still more questions! o-well :D

Stage Ninja Kenna wrote: "Tirzah wrote: "It seems like a lot of people don't realize there are 3 companion books after "The Giver." Gathering Blue Messenger and especially Son will hopefully answer any questions you may hav..."

Jonas is definetly in the the entitled Messanger.

Kenna Lia Wrote: "i still have a lot of questions",
Well, then ask away Lia.

Kenna I read Gathering Blue and Messenger, but I had a question. Is Gabe going to be in any of these books?

Katie Kenna wrote: "Tirzah wrote: "It seems like a lot of people don't realize there are 3 companion books after "The Giver." Gathering Blue Messenger and especially Son will hopefully answer any questions you may hav..."

Actually Jonas is in the other books, even though it is not explicitly stated. Everything is brought to light in the last book of the series, Son.

Katie Also, Gabe is very much in the last book, Son, as well.

message 19: by Redd (new) - rated it 3 stars

Redd Kaiman The image in my head of making babies cold by thinking about it was always funny.

Check out my webcomic, updates every Thursday: http://reddkaiman.blogspot.com/2013/0...

Kenna i just finished the 4th book, Son, and I was wrong. Jonas and Gabe are in the second and third book. Son is amazing!

Elena If you read the second book, Messenger it should clarify whether or not Jonas lived. Lowry does mention him in full name in messenger, but there is some clues that tell you whether or not. Not giving anything away.

message 22: by Ruby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby There is actually a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th trilogy to "The Giver". They are great books because the main characters are not Jonas or Gabriel, but they wind up meeting each other somehow. You also get to know a little bit more about the rest of the world that Jonas lives in, not just his community.

At the end of the book, Jonas and Gabriel cross the border from their community to "Elsewhere". The author does not explain this, but when he crosses the border, all of Jonas' memories go to his community. If you notice at the end, when the search planes stop looking for him, it is because the community is slowly getting back the memories so they know that he is most likely dead. That is the reason they were looking for him at the beginning. They knew that he had not died yet. I don't think that the community knew that the same thing would happen after you cross the border, but you never know.

message 23: by Ruby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby Therefore, Jonas doesn't actually die.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Giver (other topics)
Gathering Blue (other topics)
Messenger (other topics)
Son (other topics)