The Sword and Laser discussion

Who's your favorite dragon?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 50) (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeane (last edited Nov 08, 2012 11:26AM) (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 52 comments Obviously, we all love Lem from the S&L youtube show, but who else is your favorite dragon character? Here's mine:
Avi as a dragon just kidding of course. That's my daughter Aviendha in her Halloween costume (yes, she is named after THAT Aviendha from The Wheel of Time). But I would have to say that my favorite dragon is Temeraire from Naomi Novik's series, but a close second would be a tie between Lockheed from the X-men, and Ramoth from the Pern series.

Cattfish | 366 comments I've only read 2 with dragons that I can think of: Robbin Hobb's series, where they are too much of a deux ex machina for my tastes, and the Pern books. So I guess Pern.

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 52 comments I have actually had a little dream to start a book store that would only sell books with Dragons in them, and also sell other dragon memorabilia. I just think that would be awesome, but I think it would be more for me then any sort of money maker!

A.L. Butcher (ALB2012) | 293 comments Denis:)
Or the Welsh one:)

Rich (JustAnotherGringo) | 92 comments Although I'm enjoying the adventures of Temeraire, I'm a traditionalist in that I like my dragons to be big, dark, grim and mockingly polite to their meals. Smaug lurks on the top of the horde pile when it comes to dragons.

Eliste | 31 comments Does Takhisis count?

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 52 comments Rich wrote: "Although I'm enjoying the adventures of Temeraire, I'm a traditionalist in that I like my dragons to be big, dark, grim and mockingly polite to their meals. Smaug lurks on the top of the horde pil..."

Smaug is AWESOME!

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 52 comments Eliste wrote: "Does Takhisis count?"

Yes, i think that her and Maleficent can count.

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 915 comments Hephaestus from R.A. Salvatore The Legend of Drizzt books.

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 915 comments What about Daenerys's dragons from Song of Ice and Fire? I love what they did at the end of A Dance with Dragons.

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 52 comments I also like Saphira, and Toothless! Ruth the white dragon is particularly awesome too!

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 52 comments Kevin wrote: "What about Daenerys's dragons from Song of Ice and Fire? I love what they did at the end of A Dance with Dragons."

Oh Kevin! no spoilers! I haven't read that one yet, but I am very please with what they do at the end of Storm of Swords :) Actually my daughter (above) is technically dressed as Rhaegal since I was dressed as Dany.

Travis | 10 comments I would have to say Ramoth from the Pern series.

J.R. (Hyper10n) | 10 comments I still haven't read the Temeraire series, so right now I would have to say Saphira.

message 15: by Bookshelf (last edited Nov 10, 2012 06:55PM) (new)

Bookshelf | 1183 comments I prefer a dragon that will guard my books.
http://goo.gl/54OlX
Unless of course I'm having tea.
http://goo.gl/VTKtF

Kenny | 16 comments Kellehendros from the dragonlance books.

kvon | 497 comments I'll have tea with the Black Dragon and Warren. Actually that book is due for a re-read.

Charlie | 46 comments Toothless

Hunter_rose | 5 comments Do Valheru count? Because, I would list Ashen-Shugar.

Julia | 177 comments For shafeshifters I'd say Zifnab's dragon from the Death Gate Cycle.

Norberto Martinez (norbux) | 1 comments Glaurung from The Silmarillion kicks ass!

Joshua | 31 comments Puff the magic dragon. He lives by the sea and frolics in the autumn mist in a land called Honalee. Sorry, couldn't help it.

Grimwyrd | 5 comments That's a hard one. As a kid, Smaug from "The Hobbit" and Vermithrax from the movie "Dragonslayer" were my first loves. Bazil Broketail (although technically a wyvern) for heroic personality. And Ruth from McCaffrey's "The White Dragon" from the companion-dragon angle. Sean Connery also voiced a great dragon in the movie "Dragonheart".

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments Dragonite from Pokemon. Cause Smaug would eat you if you tried to tame him.

Jerome Lim (Yojimbo76) | 28 comments Falkor from The Neverending Story! :)

John (kilowog42) | 26 comments I'm going with the Smaug fans out there. Not only is he a true bad@$$ of a dragon, but he also shows a lot of what I would suspect from the whole last of his kind attitude. He knows he is amazing, but he hasn't had a chance to do anything for a long while. I always suspected that even though it turned out bad for him, the fact that he got to go out on one last fight and not die of boredom that he obviously suffers from when Bilbo came in and they chatted was a pleasure. He reminds me of the aging fighter who longs for one more round, but is never challenged and finds picking fights beneath him.

Either Smaug or Gwyneth, the dragon who fell in love with Huma Dragonbane and helped defeat Takhisis.

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 611 comments Tintaglia from Robin Hobb's books.

I love how self-absorbed and regal she is. As if she can't even comprehend a world in which humans don't immediately bow to the wishes of dragons...

message 28: by Nick (last edited Dec 08, 2012 04:11PM) (new)

Nick Gilbert | 6 comments Smaug is wicked cool, but he seems like the easy answer and that seems like a cop out. I'm fond of Pyrite, but he only made a very brief appearance in the third book of the Dragonlance Chronicles. So instead I'll go with Ruagh, the dying golden dragon from Raymon Feist's series.

Lorie (LorieChristoffel) | 59 comments Korialstrasz and Alexstrasza. =^_^=

Kamil | 372 comments Daenerys's black dragon... bad attitude+hot momma

message 31: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Rob (robzak) | 2429 comments Mod
Lorie wrote: "Korialstrasz and Alexstrasza. =^_^="

Yay Warcraft!

Kamil | 372 comments Jerome wrote: "Falkor from The Neverending Story! :)"

that's a dog, not dragon

Jerome Lim (Yojimbo76) | 28 comments Kamil wrote: "Jerome wrote: "Falkor from The Neverending Story! :)"

that's a dog, not dragon"

He's a Chinese Luck dragon! And a cool one at that! ;)

Helena | 7 comments Smaug from The Hobbit. He is everything a dragon should be.

Igor (igork) | 102 comments Anomander Rake's soletaken form!

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1064 comments I'm going to go with Rand al'Thor from The Wheel of Time. Best Dragon ever.

hehehehehehe

message 37: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Micah wrote: "I'm going to go with Rand al'Thor from The Wheel of Time. Best Dragon ever.

hehehehehehe"

*groan*

Tracy B | 9 comments Ancalagon the Black.

terpkristin | 2692 comments *Uber groan* to Micah and Tam.

I don't know who my favorite dragon is. The ones I think of when someone says "dragon" are the one from Pete's Dragon and the three from ASoIaF. But I do like Dragonite from Pokemon.

Tamahome | 4344 comments I don't get the Micah one.

message 42: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Tamahome wrote: "I don't get the Micah one."

The Dragon Reborn

Joseph (MonkeyKingJ) | 3 comments I like the dragons in Fablehaven they are some really cool dragons like a poison dragon & a dragon with a sleeping gas as a breath weapon, but my favorite has to be Raxtus, a dragon whose mother died and who was incubated using fairy magic, resulting in him being very small and having a growth mist for a breath weapon.

Richard Elliot.

Derek Knox (snokat) | 274 comments I like the dragons in The Last Dragon Chronicles by Chris d'Lacey. Great series.

message 46: by Douglas (last edited Dec 18, 2012 02:41PM) (new)

Douglas Haase | 3 comments I would have to say that the Dragons from Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince and Dragon Star Stronghold trilogy are my favorite. Growing up, I always associated with Pol and Azhdeen.

Faith | 3 comments Any dragon from Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series, especially Raxtus.

Trike | 1105 comments Ruth from Pern.

The White Dragon by Anne McCaffrey The White Dragon was my favorite book as a teenager and is still in the top ten. But this was the series where people *rode* dragons instead of fighting them, and Ruth was the sports car of that bunch.

Lyssa | 7 comments Smaug was great and all but I loved Pyrite in the Dragon Lance Chronicles His relationship with Fizban had me laughing so hard.

Although both are beaten by three ladies. Gwyneth from the Legend of Huma, and Flamestrike and Silvara from the Chronicles. Let's say if you can get thru their stories without at least a lump in your throat your heart is 3 sizes too small.

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 915 comments Trike wrote: "Ruth from Pern.

The White Dragon by Anne McCaffrey The White Dragon was my favorite book as a teenager and is still in the top ten. But this was the series where people *rode* dragons instead of..."

Still one of my favorite cover of all time. It shows how magnificent a dragon can be.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Dragon Reborn (other topics)
Dragon Prince (other topics)
Stronghold (other topics)
The White Dragon (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Chris d'Lacey (other topics)