The Sword and Laser discussion

Jim Butcher
This topic is about Jim Butcher
Author Questions > Questions for Jim Butcher?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 55) (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 801 comments Mod
We're interviewing Jim Butcher next Tuesday. Got a hot question about a cold case? or the forthcoming Cold Days? Or pretty much any question that could be answered by Jim Butcher?

Ask it here!

message 2: by Adrian (last edited Nov 06, 2012 02:05PM) (new)

Adrian Pienaru (adi_pie) | 124 comments How does he manage to write so many books, so quickly, and yet keep quality high? Talent? Cloning? Infinite number of monkeys on typewriters?

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam | 25 comments Any chance we could see a followup series to the Dresden Files that takes place in the far future (given that wizards live hundreds of years)? It would be cool to see a scifi aspect added in...

message 4: by Sky (new)

Sky Corbelli | 304 comments Do you think you'll ever self-publish? Maybe negotiate your way toward digital rights on your novels?

Understand this: I'm a big fan. I'm looking forward to Cold Days, and even at $12.99 I'll probably still buy it. You tell stories that I enjoy, and I'm willing to pay for them.

It's just... when I buy an ebook, I'd really like to see the bulk of the money go to the author. After all, I'm paying for your plot and prose, and I don't think that editing/cover art/formatting should be taking the lion's share of the purchase price. Unless you know something about ebook sales that I don't...

message 5: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments I'd like to know if he's working on a follow up to the Codex Alera series; and if so, when that might come out?

Are there any non sci fi/fantasy series that influenced the Dresden Files? For some reason the series has always reminded me of the Rockford Files. Am I crazy?

I really liked the Marcone and Murphy point of view short stories; are there any plans to do short stories from, say, Molly or Bob's point of view?

message 6: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3165 comments Given that it's NaNoWriMo time, does he have tips for aspiring writers?

I too am interested in how he keeps his writing fresh, even after so many books. I quite enjoy Dresden and have Codec Alera on a looong queue,

message 7: by Bryek (new)

Bryek | 271 comments When you are writing Dresden's snarky, sarcastic lines, are you quietly snickering to yourself and do they come easily or is there a lot of effort put into those lines?

message 8: by Bryek (new)

Bryek | 271 comments terpkristin wrote: "Given that it's NaNoWriMo time, does he have tips for aspiring writers?"

Jim has some awesome tips for writing on his livejournal:http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/ start from the bottom!

message 9: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha (craniumrinse) | 149 comments I've heard that Mr Butcher is heavy into LARPing. Given that, and the Harry Dresden RPG, I can't help but wonder; is Harry's world based on Mr Butcher's personal roleplaying?

Also, what is the likelihood that Maggie will have a peaceful, pleasant, unsieged* life? Because, as unreasonable as it may be, I really want that.

*(yes, that is a word, I checked)

message 10: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3165 comments Kp wrote: "terpkristin wrote: "Given that it's NaNoWriMo time, does he have tips for aspiring writers?"

Jim has some awesome tips for writing on his livejournal:http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/ start from ..."

It cracks me up when authors have LJ's.

message 11: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 3525 comments Mod
Mr. Butcher really spoiled his fans a few years back by giving us both a Dresden Files and a Codex Alera book every year.

Any plans to start another series/ write a stand alone novel? Or will you be waiting until you have completed the Dresden Files first?

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam | 25 comments Rob wrote: "Mr. Butcher really spoiled his fans a few years back by giving us both a Dresden Files and a Codex Alera book every year.

Any plans to start another series/ write a stand alone novel? Or will you..."

I think he has a new series coming out early next year, supposedly Steampunk.

message 13: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Sam wrote: "Rob wrote: "Mr. Butcher really spoiled his fans a few years back by giving us both a Dresden Files and a Codex Alera book every year.

Any plans to start another series/ write a stand alone novel?..."

I hadn't read that. And I subscribe to the RSS feed for his website. I'm not excited by steam punk, but if it's Jim Butcher I will try it.

message 14: by Kris (new)

Kris (KVolk) | 796 comments Any chance of another Dresden TV show? Will Harry get married?

message 15: by Julia (new)

Julia C | 2 comments The Dresden Files would have made a great HBO or Showtime series, rather than the awful broadcast TV show that it was. Any chance of that happening?

message 16: by artofstu (new)

artofstu | 139 comments I agree with the comments re: the Dresden TV show (although I didn't like some of the changes they made from the book). What about a Dresden movie?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Any plans for a Dresden spinoff series of books?

And will we ever see the Jade Court or new Knights of the Cross?

message 18: by Joyce (last edited Nov 06, 2012 07:32PM) (new)

Joyce (Eternity21) | 97 comments I both read and listen to Jim Butcher's books. I love James Marsters narrating the books. He just sounds just like I imagine Harry Dresden sounding like. Does Jim have have input on who does the narrating of the books? If so will James Marsters do the new book?

message 19: by Daran (new)

Daran | 599 comments According to Audible, Marsters is reading Cold Days.

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_5?...

message 20: by Sam (last edited Nov 06, 2012 08:16PM) (new)

Sam | 25 comments Rob wrote: "Sam wrote: "Rob wrote: "Mr. Butcher really spoiled his fans a few years back by giving us both a Dresden Files and a Codex Alera book every year.

Any plans to start another series/ write a stand ..."

Saw it linked on reddit:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/in...

message 21: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Ah..Hidden in the forums. Thanks for the link!

message 22: by Terez (new)

Terez (Terez07) | 83 comments Has Jim ever thought about writing a screenplay? If so, what would be the genre and general premise?

message 23: by Alex (new)

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 654 comments If he could tell his 20-year old self anything, what would it be?

message 24: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (Eternity21) | 97 comments Daran wrote: "According to Audible, Marsters is reading Cold Days.

http://www.audible.com/pd/ref=sr_1_5?..."

cool

message 25: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 4905 comments Kp wrote: "Jim has some awesome tips for writing on his livejournal:http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com...

This one is rather inspiring: http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com/421...

message 26: by Adam (new)

Adam Gutschenritter (Heregrim) | 69 comments Any hints on what is coming up later in the series?

message 27: by Hassaan (new)

Hassaan (ancienthydra) | 1 comments I'd like to know if Mr. Butcher is willing to take part in a top secret government project that will supercharge his brain's processes and allow him to deliver monthly doses of Dresden (and soon, his steampunk foray)? All for the good of humanity, of course.

message 28: by Diana (new)

Diana | 8 comments Ayesha wrote: "I've heard that Mr Butcher is heavy into LARPing. Given that, and the Harry Dresden RPG, I can't help but wonder; is Harry's world based on Mr Butcher's personal roleplaying?

I second that query

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to know if he'd planned the Dresden Files to turn into a series of such epic proportion it is already from the first book on. And how he feels about his characters? Has it been hard writing Changes and especially Ghost Story which turned the entire series into something completely different compared to the previous 11 and 12 books, knowing that things wouldn't really be the same again, and putting the Harry, and also Molly and Murphy, through such hardship?

I love the series a lot. Just reread all of them in preparation for Cold Days which I'm incredibly stoked for.

message 30: by Mikey (new)

Mikey | 1 comments Faith Astor was Harry's first... client. Will we ever see her again?

message 31: by Brandt (new)

Brandt Is there any plans for making The Dresden Files into a computer game? (Or Codex Alera for that matter)
(Both have great potential for it imo)

Butcher have been talking about writing a big epic Epic.. Now i see someone mention steampunk?
What book projects does Butcher have at the moment and in the foreseeable future, and will something be released before the Dresden files have finished?

message 32: by Joshua (last edited Nov 08, 2012 06:57AM) (new)

Joshua Podolak | 1 comments 1) In one of his previous interviews, Jim Butcher has mentioned a "multi-verse", and that there are alternate Harry Dresdens out there. Is any one of those alternate Harry Dresdens an author who writes "the Jim Butcher Files"?

2) In the Dresden universe, an ongoing theme is that most mortals do not believe in magic. One of the few exceptions is the Chicago "Special Investigations" unit. Are there other governmental groups out there who are "clued in"? As an example, do the FBI/CIA/KGB/NYPD etc. have their own versions of SI, and will we see them during the course of the novels.

3) Harry Dresden frequently mentions the "worn out books" lying around his flat. Can you tell us what are Harry's favorite books?

4) We are told that Bram Stoker's Dracula contains "Real Life" weakness of the Black Court. Is the same thing true of Stoker's other works (e.g. "Jewel of the Seven Stars)

message 33: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (DavidScharf) | 327 comments Daran wrote: "Are there any non sci fi/fantasy series that influenced the Dresden Files?"

I too would be curious to hear this.

message 34: by Jason (new)

Jason | 4 comments Is it true that he wrote the Codex Alera series after being challenged by a fan after a disagreement on writing styles?

Also I vaguely remember him talking about a concept for another project were a space marine is trapped in orbit after a battle is that still on the table. I would like to see Jim write some "Laser" books. In then end I will follow him where ever he leads even if its steam punk because I believe he can not fail. He is the author with the Midas touch

message 35: by Rich (last edited Nov 12, 2012 05:36PM) (new)

Rich (JustAnotherGringo) | 98 comments Both the Dresden and Alera books have some very strong (more accurately, badass!) women characters--Murphy and Kitai, to name the two most obvious. Are you intentionally trying to support or promote stronger women characters in fiction, or do they just happen to be characters whom you feel have the right fit for your stories?

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2 comments Have you been recognized in public, not at an event? What happened?

message 37: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I've heard that authors often have music playlists for thir books. But, if memory serves, don't you watch movies? If so, which were the films for Cold Days?

message 38: by James (new)

James H. (jhedrick) | 125 comments I've always admired The Dresden Files' willingness to stick to its own rules for how magic and the supernatural operate (or at least plausibly explain any exceptions). However, have you ever found any of your own rules overly constraining or developed a rule early on that you wished you hadn't later?

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan (susieblu) | 34 comments Not knowing what will happen in Cold Days...Were you afraid that after Changes and Ghost Story that Harry would be to powerful and have "jumped the shark or nuked the fridge" with Dresden Files

message 40: by Franck (new)

Franck | 3 comments I would like to know where does Jim Butcher find the inspiration for his world building; if he has some recommended readings on the "fantasy lore" (like fairies and vampires), anything that he can credit as helpful in the creation process of the Dresden universe.

message 41: by Franck (new)

Franck | 3 comments Rich wrote: "Both the Dresden and Alera books have some very strong (perhaps even badass!) women characters--Murphy and Kitai, to name the two most obvious. Are you intentionally trying to support or promote s..."

Great question that I also would like to see answered on the show! :)

message 42: by Celine (new)

Celine | 36 comments From someone who's just started reading your work, is there a specific order the Dresden Files books should be read in?

message 43: by Bryek (new)

Bryek | 271 comments Celine wrote: "From someone who's just started reading your work, is there a specific order the Dresden Files books should be read in?"

Read them in order of publication. They are chronological

message 44: by Shan (new)

Shan | 6 comments I've been a long-time fan and I'm really looking forward to this interview.

After reading Changes, I did not think Mr. Butcher could top that novel. Then he did. As an aspiring writing myself, I would like to know how do you plan for escalation in your novels and keep things interesting. Do you have the entire series planned out already?

message 45: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 6 comments Do you have a story arc in mind for Harry Dresden or do you simply write as the will takes you both in the individual books and the series?
Expanding on that is the Dresden series as it stands an ongoing serial or do you envisage it as a large multi part story with a clear start and eventual conclusion?

Finally given the contemporary fantasy setting how much do you feel that real world developments can, should and do bleed into the Dresden world either directly or as analogies?

message 46: by Martin (new)

Martin (Martinc36au) | 70 comments I'm also interested in the Dreseden story arc - same as above.

message 47: by Bo (new)

Bo Blanckenburg | 3 comments The Dresden Files are incredibly interwoven and I would suppose there is a lot to keep track of as a writer. Does he have a master plan hanging on a wall somewhere to keep track of it all?

Also, the whole soulgazing thing is a very creative and clever idea in my opinion, especially the graphic descriptions of the experience. Who, real or imagined, would he most want to share a soulgaze with and why?
My pick would be Harry Dresden, but I suspect that we will never see that happening. Which may be good.

message 48: by Bo (new)

Bo Blanckenburg | 3 comments @ Martin and Daniel;

On his site Jim Butcher mentions that he has idea's to carry on the series at least into twenty books
http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden
So that would suggest that the arc is well planned out.
(even though the first novel appearently wasn't, as it was an assignment of sorts).

message 49: by Kevin (last edited Nov 12, 2012 09:26AM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 963 comments Well, he has said at his past signings that the story arc will end with a post apocalyptic trilogy, but it will not be until after 20 books.

message 50: by Joe (new)

Joe Dagostino | 3 comments I don’t remember which book it is in, but there is a scene where Dresden is surprised when Murphy quotes Robert B Parker’s character Spenser. I am curious if Jim Butcher is a fan of Robert B Parker and if so what other Mystery writers he may like.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread