Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Just Between You and Me: A Novel of Losing Fear and Finding God
This topic is about Just Between You and Me
Archived Group Reads 2012 > Main Group Read for November

Comments (showing 1-19 of 19) (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth, Head Librarian (last edited Nov 03, 2012 09:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2536 comments Mod
Please join us as we read & discuss, Just Between You and Me: A Novel of Losing Fear and Finding God by Jenny B. Jones!

The only thing scarier than living on the edge is stepping off it.

Maggie Montgomery lives a life of adventure. Her job as a cinematographer takes her from one exotic locale to the next. When Maggie's not working, she loves to rappel off cliffs or go skydiving. Nothing frightens her.

Nothing, that is, except Ivy, Texas, where a family emergency pulls her back home to a town full of bad memories, painful secrets, and people Maggie left far behind . . . for a reason.

Forced to stay longer than she intended, Maggie finds her family a complete mess, including the niece her sister has abandoned. Ten-year-old Riley is struggling in school and out of control at home. The only person who can really handle the pint-sized troublemaker is Conner, the local vet and Ivy's most eligible bachelor. But Conner and Maggie keep butting heads--he's suspicious of her and, well, she doesn't rely on anyone but herself.

As Maggie humorously fumbles her way from one mishap to another, she realizes she's going to need to ask for help from the one person who scares her the most.

To save one little girl--and herself--can Maggie let go of her fears and just trust God?

message 2: by Jodie, Official Ice Breaker (new)

Jodie (MommaWantstoRead) | 546 comments Mod
Oh, this sounds like a really good one!

message 3: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2536 comments Mod
I'm excited, I hope others are too :) I plan on starting this tonight.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Ok, does this read go to the end of the month? If so, I'm excited to join in!

message 5: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2536 comments Mod
Michelle, you are correct :) This group read goes until the end of November.

message 6: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2536 comments Mod
I'm about 100 pages in. I'm really enjoying it so far! :)

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Yay! I just ordered from a fast Amazon shipper.

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen | 145 comments praying the library has this.

message 9: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2536 comments Mod
I finished this over the weekend & it was so good! Contemporary, "chick-lit" is usually really not my thing, but I think I liked this one even more than Save the Date! I'm amazed at how Jenny B. Jones can still be humorous with such a serious storyline. Defintely recommend! :)

message 10: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2536 comments Mod
Has anyone else gotten the opportunity to read it?

message 11: by Cheryl, Challenges Mastermind (new) - added it

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 1437 comments Mod
I have not read it Beth, but I definitely agree with your comment about how Jenny B Jones is a master at using comedy and mixing in the serious storyline. My pastor always says that with comedy you can slip in the back door so to speak and make people think instead of hitting them over the head with a message and I can definitely see that in her writing!

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen | 145 comments Not at my library.I maybe can get it through the loan. I only buy authors I am sure of unless I happen to get it at a used spot.

message 13: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2536 comments Mod
Karen, this is not even my typical genre, and I was loving it! :) It had some real laugh out loud moments.

message 14: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2536 comments Mod
Cheryl wrote: "I have not read it Beth, but I definitely agree with your comment about how Jenny B Jones is a master at using comedy and mixing in the serious storyline. My pastor always says that with comedy you..."

That's the truth!! And yeah, you can definitely apply that to her books :)

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen | 145 comments Beth wrote: "Karen, this is not even my typical genre, and I was loving it! :) It had some real laugh out loud moments."

I will try to get it.

message 16: by Jodie, Official Ice Breaker (new)

Jodie (MommaWantstoRead) | 546 comments Mod
I think humor lightens the mood also. AND people remember humor, they remember someone who could make them laugh when they didn't feel like laughing. I love authors who write humor in their stories, it really makes it seem more real.

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen | 145 comments Jodie wrote: "I think humor lightens the mood also. AND people remember humor, they remember someone who could make them laugh when they didn't feel like laughing. I love authors who write humor in their stories..."

Yes

Shawna | 5 comments I picked this book up yesterday from the library and couldn't put it down. I found the sassy one-liners very entertaining. I also found the main theme, losing fear and letting God take complete control, completely en pointe in my life. I am a control freak, and find it difficult to relinquish complete authority to God. I am slowly learning and letting go. Jenny B. Jones reminded me that when we do let go, God rewards us with more than we could ever hope for.

message 19: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis | 81 comments I think I joined to late for this one, but I already put the next one on hold at my digital library.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Just Between You and Me: A Novel of Losing Fear and Finding God (other topics)
Save the Date (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jenny B. Jones (other topics)