Rated YA-MA discussion

Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1)
This topic is about Etiquette & Espionage
Historical Fiction > Finishing School by Gail Carriger (Group Read March 2014)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 50) (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Feb 28, 2014 11:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments Finishing School series (Young Adult)

Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2) by Gail Carriger Waistcoats & Weaponry (Finishing School #3) by Gail Carriger Manners & Mutiny (Finishing School, #4) by Gail Carriger

Parasol Protectorate series (Adult; set in same world as Finishing School)

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3) by Gail Carriger Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4) by Gail Carriger Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5) by Gail Carriger

message 2: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments I might have to try to land me a copy of Soulless The Manga, Vol. 1 (The Parasol Protectorate Manga) by Gail Carriger since I've read the book already. A Manga might be a fun way to refresh and join in on the discussion without having to re-read the entire book.

message 3: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new) - added it

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2733 comments I'm excited to try this one out. I've heard good things!

message 4: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 270 comments i really enjoyed this series - for any audiobook ppl out there, the narrator nailed the british accent IMHO. so bummed when the series ended

message 5: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new) - added it

Jenny (narcisse) | 1948 comments I have the book and am going to try to make it one of my next two reads.

Ashley  (AshleyCW) | 86 comments I remember really liking it, I thought it was funny- its British humor, so its dry. But I actually like that

message 7: by Hillary (new) - added it

Hillary (Eledri) | 760 comments Jenny wrote: "I have the book and am going to try to make it one of my next two reads."

Uh huh suuuure you are. :P

message 8: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 807 comments I finished it today. I liked it, but wasn't really wowed. I adored the romance though and was impressed with the science. :)

message 9: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 270 comments the romance gets better throuh the books IMHO - because all 5 feature Alexia and Lord Maccon - Lord Ackeldama is my favorite though

message 10: by Cyn (last edited Nov 06, 2012 09:10AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cyn (redswirl3) | 3 comments I liked this book a lot. I love British humor. I found my inner head voice speaking in an accent through out the day while enjoy Soulless. I laughed while reading the book and at my self.
I liked and feel I really got to know each character. I liked the descriptions of the fashions. I enjoyed the twists in the book even though I guessed correctly at each outcome.
What I didn't like about the book.
(view spoiler)

message 11: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Nov 06, 2012 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments It's not actually a YA book, but more of a book that might appeal to YA readers (albeit probably older ones in this case). We had a crossover adult category for this month.

message 12: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 270 comments i would have loved this as a YA - but then I was reading Harlequins when I was 12, Outlander when I was 13 and my first erotic romance when I was 15 (all provided by my mom...)

message 13: by Angie (new)

Angie (pinkindle) | 807 comments I definitely would have been into this one as a teen. I didn't even read YA back then.

Kdbrand | 283 comments I just finished this one. The British humor is delightful. Now I think it is time for me to find some more steampunk stuff!

message 15: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments Steampunk really is a fun genre. This isn't a strict steampunk but if you're looking for a fun YA book of this type, there's always Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1) by Cassandra Clare. Most of the YA steampunk I've tried hasn't been as good as the adult stuff.

The manga was GORGEOUS. I threw up some artwork here : http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

So what did everyone think of Alexia as a heroine? She was definitely offbeat, wasn't she?

message 16: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 270 comments i like that she wasn't the traditional heroine - but she def. still manages to get herself into scrapes...really liked the whole soulless idea - that was def. unique

message 17: by Danielle (new) - added it

Danielle | 4 comments I LOVED this book! I'm actually reading the 5th book, Timeless right now. It's witty and fun with such loveable characters! I'm really looking forward to reading more of Gail Carriger's work, The Parasol Protectorate abroad and Etiquette and Espionage.

message 18: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (jnikkir) I have to say, I joined this group back in October, partly because I saw that Soulless was the book for this month and it was pretty high up on my to-read list anyway. I'm so glad this got me reading it! I'm halfway through, and absolutely loving it so far. The humor is great; I feel like it's more of a constant mindset in the narration (rather than just occasional humorous scenes), which makes the whole thing highly enjoyable. Alexia is a fantastic character, too. ...And I'd be lying if I said I'm not constantly looking forward to any/all scenes involving Lord Conall Maccon. ;)

message 19: by Lynne (last edited Nov 15, 2012 08:05PM) (new)

Lynne | 2 comments I am really becoming a fan of Steampunk and I like this series. Lord Akeldama is a hoot.

message 20: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments Does the rest of the series keep focus on the same characters?

message 21: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 271 comments Should I try and read this book? It sounds interesting but I am on the fence about it

message 22: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 2 comments Yes the same main characters with new supporting ones introduced here and there.

Sophie Davis (SophieDavis) | 1 comments I read Soulless a while back after a girl I work with lent it to me, and loved it. It was my first Steampunk novel and I am now a fan of Steampunk! I have since read the entire series (just finished Timeless). A couple of the books in the middle dragged a little for me, but it was worth sticking with the series until the end just to read the last one!

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily (LibraryLil) | 359 comments I finished it over the weekend. I think it may be my first steampunk novel, though I don't fully understand what all the indicators of steampunk are.

I really enjoyed it, especially the romance/romantic tension. I like the world a lot. I do plan to read future books in the series though I don't know how soon I will get to them.

Ashley  (AshleyCW) | 86 comments Wiki says "Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered machinery, especially in a setting inspired by industrialized Western civilization during the 19th century, or a post apocalyptic environment. Therefore, steampunk works are often set in an alternate history of the 19th century's British Victorian era or American "Wild West", in a post-apocalyptic future during which steam power has regained mainstream usage, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power."

message 26: by Elaina (new)

Elaina | 20 comments I just picked up the book this morning and have become so addicted. I'm not so sure about the main character though shes a bit different from the ones I am used to. I quite like Lord Akeldama, hes so eccentric and funny. Also I hope that the relationship between the earl and Alexia develop a bit more. They make me smile with all the tension that is between them.

Stacie ~ done hibernating (Stack-i-e) | 299 comments I don't really know what I was expecting with this book being another paranormal with vampire and werewolves and all. That being kinda overdone lately. But the soulless aspect was very original. Love the fact that there was no love triangle and that the romance wasn't a long drawn out issue. It loved the british humor and how stubborn and blunt Alexia is. Will definitely be continuing the series. Great pick!

message 28: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Nov 30, 2012 11:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments Glad to see that so many people enjoyed the book this month. :)

I'm sorry that I didn't get a chance to add much in the way of questions or conversation to encourage chatter back and forth, but I'd read the book a while back and couldn't remember enough to add more than what I did. Any and all members are more than allowed to come up with questions or discussion topics to add if they'd like. We're pretty freeform here.

Going to move this to the "other" books folder for now, since it's an adult book and won't fit into one of our genre categories. Since we don't have a dedicated adult folder at the moment (not sure if we should do this or not?), we'll stick this thread in the catch all and re-evaluate at the end of the year whether or not to delete the topic.

Maree | 234 comments Like everyone else, I really enjoyed the humor in it - the way Alexia was so big on manners and so shocked when the rules of such were broken. But only mildly shocked, when she wasn't enjoying it. ;)

I also liked the take on the soulless, and (view spoiler)

message 30: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 270 comments thought I would just comment here - I am reading Etiquette & Espionage which is a YA set in the same world (about 40 years prior to Souless) - it is cute so far and there are some characters from the PP series that have appeared so far in this one (but not going to mention any names)

message 31: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments I had thought about deleting this topic because it's sort of out of place being an adult series, but since there's a crossover with the new YA series, I might just end up merging E&E into this topic so we can keep it.

message 32: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments Posts number 2 through 31 are a previous group read discussion for Gail Carriger's adult series Parasol Protectorate - book 1 Soulless, which took place back in 2012.

Finishing School series (Young Adult)

Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2) by Gail Carriger

Parasol Protectorate series (Adult)

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger Changeless (Parasol Protectorate, #2) by Gail Carriger Blameless (Parasol Protectorate, #3) by Gail Carriger Heartless (Parasol Protectorate, #4) by Gail Carriger Timeless (Parasol Protectorate, #5) by Gail Carriger

I am merging our March 2014 read of Etiquette & Espionage with the Soulless topic, since both series take place in the same world.

Our group read of Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger is now open.

If you need to talk about any major plot points (minor story details don't need to be tagged), please use this code to put your text inside of a spoiler tag and make a note of whereabouts in the book you're talking about so people know if they've read far enough to be able to click on the tag :

message 33: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments If anyone is interested in taking a stab at fantasy casting, we have an additional topic for fun where you can place your choices for who you imagine as the characters in the book we're reading. https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 34: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 270 comments I enjoyed this - you could read with or without reading PP

message 35: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments Posting this both here and in the buddy read topic because I'm not sure which thread people would be more likely to look at.

Not sure if anyone's interested in reading and discussing the month's group read together, but I'm going to start Etiquette & Espionage on Wednesday the 12th and figured I'd see if anyone was up for starting it then. I'd probably split it up into a 3 or 4 day read and post updates in the group read topic, instead of just reading it solo and sharing my thoughts at the end. I thought it might be more fun if someone else was interested in reading along and discussing as the book unfolded instead of after it was finished.

message 36: by Kdbrand (last edited Mar 13, 2014 03:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kdbrand | 283 comments Started Etiquette & Espionage (Finishing School, #1) by Gail Carriger last night. I'm really enjoying the steampunk style so far.

message 37: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments I started too and am about 10% in. I like how this book is a little more lighthearted than the Parasol Protectorate book I'd read. PP had that same quirky humor, but Sophronia is already a more amusing character than the lead in Soulless. She's got an adventurous streak.

The finishing school looks like it's going to be interesting.

Christie (christiesmith) | 448 comments I just finished the book this evening. I liked it more than I thought it would. As a realistic historical fiction fan, I have pretty much avoided steampunk like the plague, but I am trying to read outside of my comfort zone this year, so I'm glad we picked this as our group read this month.

I liked the book. To me it felt like the first few Harry Potter books (before they got all angsty)with the weirdness of the school. It was a great adventure and I highly enjoyed the school and the characters. I felt like it dragged a bit in the middle and felt that the ending (view spoiler). I don't think it has turned me into a steampunk fan, but if I get a break in my reading schedule and feel like a light-hearted romp I might just pick up the next one.

Stacie ~ done hibernating (Stack-i-e) | 299 comments I read this awhile back but I adore Sophronia. She's spunky and witty. I enjoyed that she wasn't the same as Alexandria. How she gets bored with technology but she's still curious enough about it to mess around and get in trouble. I instantly loved Soap and was excited to see a young Vieve.

message 40: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 545 comments *sigh* I was so excited to participate in the group read this month! Imagine my surprise when I log on to see that I've been reading the wrong book!

Turns out the author has more than one pink book with a woman in a strange back-bend on the cover....

Thankfully Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger is turning out to be pretty good! I should have realized I had the wrong book when the content started to veer into the more Adult territory...

message 41: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments LMAO, that's kind of awesome and funny at the same time. We actually read Soulless as a group read some months back for our adult pick.

At least it will make this book even easier to get into!

I haven't been reading much the past few days, so I totally failed at keeping on a schedule with E&E. I hope to get back to it later in the week.

message 42: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments I'm finally getting back to this and have made it to 50%.

Is it okay to have a crush on the werewolf captain guy? Because I really like him.

Stacie ~ done hibernating (Stack-i-e) | 299 comments Stacia (keyboard abuser) wrote: "I'm finally getting back to this and have made it to 50%.

Is it okay to have a crush on the werewolf captain guy? Because I really like him."

It's totally okay! He's fun and handsome. And it took me forever to find out where he shows up in the parasol protectorate.

message 44: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments I'd only read book 1 of PP, so I can't connect the dots with most of the characters. But I did recognize that one of the characters had the last name Maccon.

message 45: by Stacie ~ done hibernating (last edited Mar 25, 2014 07:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacie ~ done hibernating (Stack-i-e) | 299 comments Sidheag doesn't show up until book 2 in PP. Although I love seeing her as a teenager at a finishing school especially since she is all rough edges and bark.

message 46: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Mar 28, 2014 01:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments I finished the book and loved how super cute/offbeat/charming it was. BUT...it took me forever to finish though because the writing is so intricate and you can't really read without paying attention to all of the details, which was sort of a deterrent for me because my brain has been pretty mush lately with real life stuff and I've been needing to stick with faster/less detailed reads. I was at a 3 star, but not because I had any complaints. It just wasn't always what I was in the mood for, even though I liked the book.

But the wit - huge points for that.

I will definitely give book 2 a go at some point though. It might even make me decide to go back to Parasol Protectorate.

I didn't check - does Sophronia stay the main character throughout the series?

message 47: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments Sorry I've been failing at coming up with discussions to keep the group reads chatty and interactive. I need to start doing better, so we have more to discuss back and forth.

I will never complain though if other people want to throw out questions or discussion points also. :)

message 48: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee (austhokie) | 270 comments yeah, Sophronia is going to be the main character i think - she was the lead in book 2

I think a lot of the characters that appear in this one, don't make a complete appear in PP until books 2/3

message 49: by Anna (last edited Mar 28, 2014 05:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna | 190 comments I really liked all the details but I listened to the audio book while not doing much of anything else.

I found the "relationship" between Sophronia and Soap interesting. I liked how race was a non-issue and the only taboo was one of class.

Sophronia is still the main character in book 2.

message 50: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 5150 comments Thanks for letting me know. :)

Moving this topic to the historical fiction folder.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Soulless: The Manga, Vol. 1 (other topics)
Clockwork Angel (other topics)
Etiquette & Espionage (other topics)
Curtsies & Conspiracies (other topics)
Waistcoats & Weaponry (other topics)
More...