The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > What Else Are You Reading? - November 2012

Comments (showing 1-50 of 243) (243 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1762 comments Less than two months until the end of the world -- whatever you read this month better be good.

Belka, Why Don't You Bark? - A sci-fi novel told from the POV of Soviet space-dogs.

message 2: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1131 comments I'm on the last 1/3 of the audiobook of Existence. I just figured out that it's a prequel to the Uplift Saga. I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere, but it's pretty clear from certain elements of the story.

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 4580 comments I'm reading Neal Adams's Batman Odyssey. If you're an old comic fan you know who Neal Adams is.

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 1012 comments I finished Shadow Chaser and am moving on to Shadow Blizzard, during which I hope/assume we finally get to the legendary giant underground dungeon. Still enjoying the series.

message 5: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 2942 comments I finished The Way of Kings to end October (and loved it!). I think I've been strong-armed into doing NaNoWriMo, so for now, my first goal is to read the S&L pick. We'll see how I progress from there.

message 6: by Jered (new)

Jered Schander | 3 comments I just finished reading Dune and Dune Messiah for the first time. I loved Dune so much, it was the perfect blend of epic SciFi and fantasy. These first two books contrast each other well, Dune Messiah was the deconstruction of a hero while Dune was the hero's journey fulfilled. I was kind of surprised when I read some reviews criticizing Dune Messiah, because I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is refreshing to read a hero who is both struggling against his fate trying to shape the future. The end was sad and beautifully poetic at the same. I love Alia and Ducan Idaho. The Tileaxu did sirt of come out of nowhere but I love the concept of the ghola. The Dune audiobook has to be the best production i have listened to, with a full cast of narrators and music it give the feeling like I'm watching a movie.

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 772 comments I've put my serious reading on hold to start reading Castles Made of Sand.
Reading about rock stars running the English government and finding it slightly less difficult than navigating their complicated love lives should be too ridiculous to be enjoyable but it's not.

message 8: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1131 comments Dang! I thought I was 2/3 of the way through Existence, but it turned out to be a 4-part download instead of a 3-part. So, I'm only halfway through. I didn't even get to listen to much more than an hour of it today. I'll never finish.

In print, I'm reading The Age of Miracles. It's literary fiction with a science fiction premise: the Earth's rotation is slowing rather suddenly and fairly quickly. It's really good and a pretty quick read.

message 9: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments A Fire upon the Deep

So far, so good!

message 10: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 211 comments Started Ghost Story finally so I can be done with it before Cold Days comes out. Might try to sneak The Hobbit in there as it's going to take a while especially as it's the December read.

message 11: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 61 comments I am reading The Puppet Masters for the Classic Genre Fiction Book Club and My Life As a White Trash Zombie for Vaginal Fantasy Hangout. Both should be fun!

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark Catalfano (Cattfish) | 367 comments I just found a podcast called "Forgotten Classics" which is doing a chapter a week of a book called the Unforseen

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 926 comments I would have put up the thread as I did for the other months, but I was out of power the last three days. I just got it back about only a hour ago. There are still many here on the east coast here without power or gas or without a home anymore.

message 14: by Celine (new)

Celine | 36 comments Still working my way through Reinventing Comics: How Imagination and Technology Are Revolutionizing an Art Form, which is going slowly since I want to absorb everything properly. Also reading Fool Moon (trying to read through the whole series before my English teacher accidentally spoils something), Moving Pictures, The Raven Boys, and Brave New World.

Trying to get ahold of My Life As a White Trash Zombie and Dearly, Departed for VF and The Book of Lost Things for school.

Too many books is the best problem to have :D

message 15: by Dara (new)

Dara (hd2185) | 1171 comments Finishing up Soulless by Gail Carriger and started Hyperion audiobook by Dan Simmons. This is the first audiobook I've ever listened to and I'm having kind of a hard time getting into it.

message 16: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Fuller | 51 comments half way through The Gathering Dead

In a sea of zombie stories this one has really stood out for me. Highly recommended!

message 17: by kvon (new)

kvon | 553 comments Kevin--glad things are improving for you. Glad you're safe.

During the storm I was rereading Scout's Progress. Good space romance, popcorn reading.

message 18: by AnnaBanana (new)

AnnaBanana Pascone (snapdragnful) | 40 comments I've been on a Regency Romance novel kick lately.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1886 comments Dara wrote: "Finishing up Soulless by Gail Carriger and started Hyperion audiobook by Dan Simmons. This is the first audiobook I've ever listened to and I'm having kind of a hard time getting into it."
I just finished Soulless two days ago, great read. Now I'm trying to finish a few non-fiction things: Rites of Spring: The Great War and the Birth of the Modern Age and The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements (in audio).

I got the November book in today, so that will be my reward for slogging through non-fic.

message 20: by Maddy (new)

Maddy | 2 comments The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

message 21: by Thomas (last edited Nov 03, 2012 02:19AM) (new)

Thomas (Velverin) | 42 comments I am going to finish Shōgun and go straight toTai-Pan with a short stop for The Book of Five Rings from SmarterComics in between.

message 22: by Marc (new)

Marc | 17 comments Re-reading A Fire upon the Deep in prep to starting The Children of the Sky which I haven't read before

Will also be reading The Testament of Jessie Lamb for my other book group.

And continuing my audio-marathon of the Honor Harrington series (currently on Ashes of Victory)

message 23: by Don (new)

Don McDonald (dmmacs) | 113 comments In addition to the November book club pick, The Blinding Knife after finishing The Black Prism

message 24: by David (new)

David (Lawki) | 51 comments Exit Kingdom. I loved The Reapers Are the Angels so this jumped a mighty mountain of TBR books, right to the top. It's a post-apocalyptic zombie world where everyone talks in Southern Gothic or like they're in Firefly.

message 25: by Apsalar (new)

Apsalar | 29 comments Just started a re-read of Malazan book of the Fallen Series, halfway through Gardens of the Moon, and since it is autumn I decided to take up some horror reading so will start with The Shining.

message 26: by Ian (new)

Ian Roberts | 140 comments Nearly done with my Pliocene reread close to the end of The Adversary, but got a bit distracted by Red Country I think joe Abercrombie has to be my favourite current fantasy author this is another awesome book

message 27: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (JennyK89) | 92 comments Kevin wrote: "I would have put up the thread as I did for the other months, but I was out of power the last three days. I just got it back about only a hour ago. There are still many here on the east coast here ..."

I hope you're doing OK Kevin, sending good thoughts out to ya!

message 28: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 4580 comments Kevin wrote: "I would have put up the thread as I did for the other months, but I was out of power the last three days. I just got it back about only a hour ago. There are still many here on the east coast here without power or gas or without a home anymore..."

I guess I was lucky. I only lost power for two days. Well, I have an odd license plate. Maybe I should line up for gas.

message 29: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (JennyK89) | 92 comments I haven't been reading as much lately since I'm swamped with school work, so I'm still reading The Skystone and All Together Dead from last month. Today I started The Lies of Locke Lamora and I'm very excited for it.

message 30: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiseh87) | 348 comments Still reading Lavinia while I wait for the library to find The Dirty Streets of Heaven. They're also digging out Dragon Haven, which I'm looking forward too and hoping this series doesn't go the way of Soldier Son (which I had to force myself to finish).

message 31: by Joey (new)

Joey Cruz (NeverWanderer) | 63 comments I'm a little under halfway through The Well of Ascension, but focussing more on Leviathan Wakes, which I'll probably finish before I go back to the other book.

And I'm getting really antsy to read This Book is Full of Spiders.

message 32: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 926 comments Now I'm going back to reread the Liveship Traders as I did not enjoy them the first time around, but now I'm loving it. I started with the second book since I do not have the first book, only the last two.

message 33: by Paul (new)

Paul | 46 comments Just finished Great North Road. Overall it was disappointing. I really tried to like it but it was too long, had far too much which didn't add anything to the story and you could see the story"big reveal" coming from a mile off. Even the worldbuilding which is usually Hamilton's strongest point, was weak compared to his other work. Hamilton is my favourite sci-fi writer but i can't recommend this one. Now i'm on to Red Country and enjoying it so far. I find that i have started enjoying Abercrombie's books more now that i have accepted that they are not going to be quite as good as The First Law trilogy.

message 34: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 4580 comments Paul wrote: "Just finished Great North Road. Overall it was disappointing. I really tried to like it but it was too long, had far too much which didn't add anything to the story and you could see the story"big ..."

Aww.

message 35: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Rob (robzak) | 2882 comments Mod
Finished listening to Jim Dale's take on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. Now on to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

message 36: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 145 comments Have a long list of books I'd love to be reading, but I'm actually getting through Much Ado About Nothing, because Shakespeare module - not my favourite of his.

message 37: by Celine (new)

Celine | 36 comments I just finished The Raven Boys, which I thought was going to be less than stellar because of the summary on the book jacket which made it sound very paranormal romancey, but it turned out to be a really great story with really low-key romance, if any. The supernatural side was really well done. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series.

message 38: by Derek (new)

Derek Knox (snokat) | 274 comments Still working my way thru The Harry Potter series.
Finished Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Now listening to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
Been lucky to be running in mostly good reception areas. Only had trouble streaming the books in some places in PA mountains and a few rural areas in OH and IN. Occasionally have to wait a few minutes to buffer enough that it isn't stopping every few seconds. Running next from Chicago to Memphis, much more rural. I'll have to see how it goes.

message 39: by Jim (new)

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments Just finished Jonathan Hickman's entire run on Fantastic Four and FF. I will be going back to my epic, monster reads of the forgotten realms novels starting with moonshea series from 89 or 87. I forget. I was 17 or 15. It was a long time ago, man.

message 40: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Rob (robzak) | 2882 comments Mod
I finished reading The Mad Ship, and I really enjoyed it. You can read my Review if you're so inclined.

I expect to start Ship of Destiny this evening sometime as I read The Dirty Streets of Heaven a few months back.

message 41: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1551 comments Snokat wrote: " Only had trouble streaming the books in some places in PA mountains and a few rural areas in OH and IN"

Didn't know you could "stream" audio books. Is that with Audible?

message 42: by Derek (new)

Derek Knox (snokat) | 274 comments David Sven wrote: "Snokat wrote: " Only had trouble streaming the books in some places in PA mountains and a few rural areas in OH and IN"

Didn't know you could "stream" audio books. Is that with Audible?"

No. I uploaded the books to the Amazon cloud player. Streaming them over the Amazon MP3 app.

message 43: by Carolina (new)

Carolina | 169 comments I'm reading The Fat Years, the french version. Is taking me longer than expected, but then again, I was trying to finish Cloud Atlas before returning it to the library.

message 44: by John (new)

John (DowdyKitchenMan) | 106 comments Just finished Dawn -- very powerful, a great read. Now on to Young Miles - warmup for attending a Lois McMaster Bujold signing this weekend.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1886 comments I started the Hobbit early, but I'll be reading it slowly, to blog along with some other bloggers through November and December. I am very happy to report that Whispersync is amazing and works perfectly between Audible and Kindle so far. I don't think bookmarks are shared between the two, so the comments I've made in the audiobook while listening will have to be gleaned from the audio. Still, awesome. I could have REALLY used this when I read Ulysses last year - I listened and read but had to always find my place.

message 46: by Francis x (new)

Francis      x | 35 comments I am starting to read Cloud Atlas,on my nook color.

message 47: by kvon (new)

kvon | 553 comments I read Bitterblue, the third in Cashore's Graceling series. People are recovering from an abusive government, and trying to find out how to heal. Also young romance. Enjoyable quick read.

message 48: by Linguana (new)

Linguana | 137 comments I'm quickly making my way through Ysabeau S. Wilce's Flora trilogy and adoring it. My current read is the last volume, Flora's Fury.

In addition, I've given in and finally started Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch. If the third book doesn't come out in 2013, I'll be devastated!

For a 2012 TBR-challenge in a German book forum, I'm also reading The Windup Girl but I'm a quarter of the way through and still not hooked. Don't really understand the hype (yet).

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I just started Warbreaker, have had a few recommendations to read this so i'm looking forward to getting stuck in.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

Dara wrote: "Finishing up Soulless by Gail Carriger and started Hyperion audiobook by Dan Simmons. This is the first audiobook I've ever listened to and I'm having kind of a hard time getting into it."

I have a real problem listening to audiobooks as well, I thought it would be great to do the pots and listen to an audiobook and I found it quite difficult, even when doing something as mundane as the washing up, I would have to sit down and listen to it, which to me defeats the purpose of buying an audiobook, I might as well pick up a book, its cheaper.

« previous 1 3 4 5