The Sense of an Ending The Sense of an Ending discussion

What Barnes book to read next?

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Relinquis (last edited Oct 31, 2012 10:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Relinquis I loved reading The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes. What should I read next?

I loved everything about the novel: the writing style, the themes of history and memory and I liked how we were forced to engage with the narrator's self-centred myopia.

I was thinking of reading England, England next. Any other suggestions? What about other comparable authors?

message 2: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill I am leaning towards THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD IN 101/2 CHAPTERS: being pressed for time{0/a of SANDY Hurricane cleanup~ this capsulation, should do nicely

message 3: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill you may also, wish, to try the disgraced? author Jonah Lehrer for "memory" insights in "HOW WE DECIDE" OR..."IMAGINE"{if you can still get it(after recall); I have "PROUST WAS A NEUROSCIENTIST" PENDING

message 4: by Relinquis (last edited Nov 01, 2012 01:25AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Relinquis Thanks Bill. A History of the World in 10½ Chapters looks interesting. I'll add it to the list.

Betty Barnes wrote a very thoughtful memoir that deals with death in his elegantly literate way called "Nothing to be Frightened Of". And no, it is not depressing. Another lovely book you might enjoy is "Everything Beautiful Happened After" by Simon van Booy. Gorgeous writing.

Luke metroland by barnes is one of my all time favorites.

Mrs.B My fave Barnes is Talking it Over.

Brian I'll vote for "History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters. It's my personal favorite. But I love nearly all of his books.

message 9: by Dhanaraj (last edited May 01, 2013 01:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dhanaraj Rajan I have not read many of Barnes' books. But whatever I have read of him were really good. I would place Flaubert's Parrot as a interesting book and Levels of Life is another.
Will have to find opportunities to read all the books of him.

message 10: by Elie (new) - added it

Elie Lau I just put his memoir "Levels of Life" on my list. Do any of you read it?

Dhanaraj Rajan I have read the book Levels of Life and it is as usual very good. Specially the third part of the book is very moving. Read it and you will not regret it.

Charlie "Arthur & George" is phenomenal. It's a late Victorian mystery/historical fiction novel which I liked even better than "The Sense of an Ending." Roughly three times as long though, so a bit more of a time commitment, but so so so worth it.

Elizabeth Betty wrote: "Barnes wrote a very thoughtful memoir that deals with death in his elegantly literate way called "Nothing to be Frightened Of". And no, it is not depressing. Another lovely book you might enjoy i..."

I think you mean "Everything Beautiful Began After" by Simon Van Booy.

message 14: by Brad (new) - rated it 3 stars

Brad Lyerla I enjoyed Flaubert's Parrot very much. It is not a novel, strictly speaking. I think his publisher called it 'metafiction'.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Sense of an Ending (other topics)
A History of the World in 10½ Chapters (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Julian Barnes (other topics)