The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > the Best scifi/fantasy movies

Comments (showing 1-50 of 116) (116 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rhenus (new)

Rhenus | 47 comments I’m looking for some ideas about films to see and though I would ask for suggestions by asking you all what are the best SCIFI/Fantasy films?

10 of my favourites would be;

The matrix
The thing
Clockwork orange
Labyrinth (just for David bowie, seriously wtf?)
Skeletons (cult UK movie very good)
Moon (very very good)
Encounters of the third kind
Blade runner
Alien, Aliens and Aliens 3 (there was NO fourth!)
cowboy bebop (does this count?)

message 2: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Are you looking for older movies or newer ones?

message 3: by Terry (last edited Oct 31, 2012 07:31AM) (new)

Terry | 4 comments Best SF films:

Lost Horizon (1937)
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
The Empire Strikes Back
Blade Runner
Young Frankenstein
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
WALL•E
Forbidden Planet
Metropolis
A Clockwork Orange
Aliens
The Thing from Another World (1951)
2001: A Space Odyssey
Children of Men
The Day the Earth Stood Still
The Road Warrior
The Terminator
Twelve Monkeys
The Invisible Man
Dark City
Paprika
Ghost in the Shell
The Fifth Element
The Matrix
Jurassic Park
Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan
Looper

Best fantasy films:

The Wizard of Oz (1939)
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Princess Bride
Ugetsu
Princess Mononoke
Groundhog Day
Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totoro
Fantasia
Pan's Labyrinth
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Curious Tale of Benjamin Button
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
Harvey
Field of Dreams
Labyrinth
The Wolf Man
The Thief of Baghdad (1940)

message 4: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments looks like Terry has you covered.

message 5: by Dharmakirti (last edited Oct 31, 2012 08:38AM) (new)

Dharmakirti | 786 comments I would like to add:
Solaris (the Russian version)
Primer
Little Otik
Gattaca
City of Lost Children

message 6: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Rob (robzak) | 3038 comments Mod
Samurisloth wrote: "cowboy bebop (does this count?)"

The movie is only so-so. The series on the other hand was excellent.

message 7: by Phil (new)

Phil | 456 comments My top 10 would be:
Contact
Planet of the Apes (the original)
The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Star Wars
Princess Bride
Star Trek-The Wrath of Khan and First Contact
Alien
Buckaroo Bonzai
Ladyhawke

They're in no particular order.

message 8: by Tim (new)

Tim | 377 comments In no particular order:

Blade Runner (*WITH* the voice over)
LOTR
ST: Wrath of Khan
Gattaca
Aliens
Moon
Dark Star
Dark Crystal
Flight of the Navigator
Mars Attacks

message 9: by Tassie Dave (new)

Tassie Dave | 750 comments Some films not mentioned so far:

Predator
Terminator 2
The Avengers
Serenity
Time Bandits

message 10: by Charlie (new)

Charlie | 46 comments Terry for the win!

message 11: by Rhenus (new)

Rhenus | 47 comments Tim wrote " gatacca"

Ooo that's a good one,

Gotta say though mars attacks wasn't for me.

message 12: by Leesa (new)

Leesa (leesalogic) | 329 comments Excalibur! The 1981 John Boorman film. No one has made a decent King Arther film since. Mists of Avalon was good, but that's more Morgan's (Morgaine's) story.

So, so many sword and sorcery flicks from that time period.

message 13: by kvon (new)

kvon | 554 comments Gattaca
Princess Bride

message 14: by Dara (new)

Dara (hd2185) | 1247 comments Sci-Fi:
The Fifth Element
Gattaca
Moon
District 9
Terminator & Terminator 2
The Matrix
Blade Runner

Question: would Inception count as sci-fi? If so, that too.

Not as into fantasy movies (which is odd cause I'm more of a sword than laser with books). LOTR.

Know I missed stuff but that's just off the top of my head.

message 15: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Dara wrote: "Question: would Inception count as sci-fi? If so, that too.."

This makes me wonder if you regularly invade someone's dreams to extract information/plant ideas in their head....

o.O

message 16: by Rhenus (new)

Rhenus | 47 comments the movie is only so-so. The series on the other hand was excellent."

I think the only thing I didn’t like about the series was the end. :'(

What do people think about the movie District 9; I was a little under-whelmed.

But it seems from the list a few people liked it at least.

message 17: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (last edited Nov 02, 2012 04:05AM) (new)

Samurisloth wrote: "I think the only thing I didn’t like about the series was the end. :'("

Putting my comments in spoiler tags. Not plot specific, but in case someone out there hasn't seen Cowboy Bebop and wants to (which should be everyone who hasn't seen it imho).

(view spoiler)

Man now I want to watch this again, but I'm so backed up on other TV and of course books. Not sure I can spare the ~9 hours or so it would take to watch it.

message 18: by Rhenus (new)

Rhenus | 47 comments Have you checked out samurai champloo? It’s a historical Chinese fiction but it has a similar feel to cowboy beebop

message 19: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Oh yea. Very good, but not as good as Bebop.

His most recent series is a drama called the Kids on the Slope. Not my usual thing, but I enjoyed it. Plus Yoko Kano did the music so it's excellent. Mostly Jazz.

message 20: by Tim (new)

Tim | 377 comments Samurisloth wrote: "the movie is only so-so. The series on the other hand was excellent."

I think the only thing I didn’t like about the series was the end. :'(

What do people think about the movie District 9; I was..."

District 9 was good.

Speaking of which (since it was also filmed in South Africa) I should also add Dredd. Crackingly good film.

message 21: by Dara (new)

Dara (hd2185) | 1247 comments Rob wrote: "Dara wrote: "Question: would Inception count as sci-fi? If so, that too.."

This makes me wonder if you regularly invade someone's dreams to extract information/plant ideas in their head....

o.O"

What I do on my own time is by business! :-P

message 22: by Carlos (last edited Nov 02, 2012 11:10AM) (new)

Carlos (jclin) | 11 comments What do people think about the movie District 9; I was..."

I adore 'District 9'. It's one of the best sci-fi movies of the 21st century.

Not only is it pretty original and well acted; the special effects are good, the political commentary is thorough if too in-your-face and the story is fantastic.

I think it's an excellent movie and even re-watching it, it doesn't lose its punch because the important thing is not the twists or special effects, but the character development and implications of the story.

And judging by its score, a lot of people liked it too: 8.1 on IMDB and a Metascore of 81... that's really good.

message 23: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 1118 comments There are a lot of excellent Chinese fantasy movies out there. Some of my favorites include Bride with White Hair (but not the sequel), Chinese Ghost Story (all three in the trilogy), Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain and my favorite, Storm Riders (which was based, I think, on a Hong Kong comic book series).

message 24: by Joey (new)

Joey Cruz (NeverWanderer) | 63 comments Just finished watching District 9 on Crackle. It definitely holds up, even if it's a bit ham fisted at times. Sharlto Copley is still a lovable asshole, and the action scenes are still jaw-dropping, if only for how unflinchingly graphic they are, which may turn some off, but it got the gross-out laugh out of me. Definitely deserves to be on the list, though maybe not at the top.

message 25: by Ian (new)

Ian Roberts | 140 comments There are some pretty good fantasy flicks Excalibur that someone mentioned is fantastic and I also have a soft spot for Conan the barbarian ( the Arnie one) some really iconic scenes and the atmosphere and score are amazing

message 26: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Joey wrote: "Just finished watching District 9 on Crackle. It definitely holds up."

it's only 3 years old. That's like saying Batman Begins which is 7 years old still "holds up." I think longer periods of time are required to gauge whether a sci-fi movie "holds up" or not. Say 10-15 years? Or maybe even 20.

message 27: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Micah wrote: "Joey wrote: "Just finished watching District 9 on Crackle. It definitely holds up."

it's only 3 years old. That's like saying Batman Begins which is 7 years old still "holds up." I think longer pe..."

Your post holds up!

message 28: by Micah (last edited Nov 05, 2012 07:10PM) (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Rob wrote: "Your post holds up!"

as does yours good sir!

Seriously though. You could look at the first 2 Terminator movies (the third one doesn't count as it was really shitty) and see if they still "hold up", but we will have to wait a minimum of 15 years to see if Terminator 4 does. I don't think it will. Only those first 2.

message 29: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (MatthewDL) | 191 comments I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Starship Troopers! (or maybe I just missed it). It's a bit cheesy but that just makes it all the more fantastic.

As for fantasy, here's my must see list:
Dark Crystal (Jim Henson omg!)
Legend (also cheesy but I love Tim Curry as the devil)
Labrynth (Jim Henson AND David Bowie!)

And some interesting animated fantasy:
Flight of Dragons (1982) (Guy gets sucked into his own board game which turns out to be real. Cool science vs magic theme)
The Hobbit (1977) (kinda trippy, awesome soundtrack)
Wizards (1977) (Ralph Bakshi, rotoscoping, nazi footage. It's definitely... interesting)

Here's some youtube links to check them out:
Flight of Dragons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwuhdh...
The Hobbit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_HbDM...
Wizards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgol5_...

message 30: by Joey (new)

Joey Cruz (NeverWanderer) | 63 comments Micah wrote: it's only 3 years old. That's like saying Batman Begins which is 7 years old still "holds up." I think longer periods of time are required to gauge whether a sci-fi movie "holds up" or not. Say 10-15 years? Or maybe even 20."

Nah. All it takes is a long enough period of time since you last saw it so that your palate is cleansed and you're able to view it fresh without the excitement of the first viewing.

First time I saw District 9, I was completely blown away by the good stuff. Having just seen it again, I'm now noticing the bad stuff... but it still holds up as an enjoyable experience.

message 31: by Joey (new)

Joey Cruz (NeverWanderer) | 63 comments For the record, though, Batman Begins DOES hold up.

message 32: by Rhenus (new)

Rhenus | 47 comments I just rewatched distric 9 and I was maybe too quick to judge.

although I wish they had made a second one to maybe answer some of the questions.

Also just saw hellraiser for the first time, does that count as fantasy? if not does "dirty streets of heaven?"

message 33: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1449 comments Micah wrote: "Joey wrote: "Just finished watching District 9 on Crackle. It definitely holds up."

it's only 3 years old. That's like saying Batman Begins which is 7 years old still "holds up." I think longer pe..."

I agree. Think 2001 and Blade Runner for movies that 'hold up'. Anything less than 10 years old don't really qualify.

message 34: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Joey wrote: "Nah. All it takes is a long enough period of time since you last saw it so that your palate is cleansed and you're able to view it fresh without the excitement of the first viewing.

First time I saw District 9, I was completely blown away by the good stuff. Having just seen it again, I'm now noticing the bad stuff... but it still holds up as an enjoyable experience."

that explanation works for me. I don't think I will be implementing it, but I totally see your point.

message 35: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (Darrenhf) | 96 comments If I could add in a handful of older films I would like to offer up for consideration

The Day The Earth Caught Fire
Village of the Damned

and absolutely anything by the legendary Ray Harryhausen.

message 36: by Terez (new)

Terez (Terez07) | 82 comments Here's my list in no particular order:
The Day The Earth Stood Still (the original)
Stardust
Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan
Superman
The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
Star Wars (the first trilogy)
The Matrix
Blade Runner
Terminator 2
Harry Potter And The Deathly Hollows pt 2

message 37: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 622 comments I recently saw Chronicle and it jumped straight into the top of my favourite film list.

Children of Men is very high up my list too.

[REC] is probably my favourite zombie infestation type film. It's Spanish and "found footage", which might turn people off, but i really do recommend it.

And lets not forget that there are some really good animated pictures in the genre, my top 3 being: Wall-E, How to train your dragon and The Incredibles.

message 38: by Phil (new)

Phil | 456 comments Yeah, those three animated films are excellent as well. I would also add Titan A.E. and Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within.

message 39: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 185 comments The Iron Giant
Harrison Bergeron

message 40: by Mark (new)

Mark Duffy (EquipDeadFish) | 8 comments Primer
Cube
Cypher
Demolition Man.

message 41: by Rhenus (new)

Rhenus | 47 comments Harrison Bergeron was great, I'd never heard of it before last night but stayed up to watch it.

Good call pickle.

Have any of you guys seen the series of films by charley brooks called black mirror?

"15million merits" and " the entire history of you" are brilliant, I'd say the first is a must see for fans of 1984 or Logan's run.

message 42: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 185 comments Samurisloth wrote: "Harrison Bergeron was great, I'd never heard of it before last night but stayed up to watch it.

Good call pickle.

."

i watched the movie years ago on vhs then it wasnt until about 2005 that i got to see it again. Ive still to read the book as its very hard to get hold of in Scotland :(

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...

message 43: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (Darrenhf) | 96 comments Black Mirror was a British trilogy of stories how technology is affecting society. The first was a satire on how the internet and social media affects politics and public life when a princess is kidnapped and the ransom is the Prime Minister having sex with a pig live on TV....

15 million merits takes on .......'s Got Talent type TV shows and immersive TV and video games and is a bit THX 1138.

The Entire History of You shows how a technology that allows instant and total recall of any moment destroys a marriage and a life.

All three were audacious with various degrees of success.

I'm hoping we get another three for this Christmas period.

message 44: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha (craniumrinse) | 149 comments @Kevin B and Paul: Saw Wall-E again the other night, and was reminded of just how beautiful it was. There's something almost ethereal about some of those scenes.

Terez wrote: "Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan"

Yes. Emphatically yes.

Can I add Sphere to the list? Every time I see it, I find myself spooked by the concept.

Also, since District 9's been mentioned, I feel like I've got to throw Monsters in the race. They're similar (both deal with unwanted aliens), but tell the story in entirely different ways.

message 45: by Charlie (new)

Charlie | 46 comments Star Trek 2: Wrath of Kahn (Amazing)
Dead Alive (pure comic genius
Full Metal Alchemist (anime)
Labrynth (child memories)

message 46: by Felicia (new)

Felicia | 9 comments In no particular order:

Blade Runner
The Matrix
Star Wars original trilogy
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Inception
District 9
Alien
Moon
X-Men First Class

message 47: by Rhenus (new)

Rhenus | 47 comments Pickle said "Ive still to read the book as its very hard to get hold of in Scotland :("

your in scotland?! so am I! :D

message 48: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 185 comments Samurisloth wrote: "Pickle said "Ive still to read the book as its very hard to get hold of in Scotland :("

your in scotland?! so am I! :D"

Nae luck :)

Im southside Glasgow

message 49: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Shanley (Mavonduri) | 9 comments Neverending Story (the original)
LOTR (Extended Editions)
The Prestige
And I know people are going to shred me on this one, but Conan the Barbarian was really great pulp fantasy in my personal opinion.

Game of Thrones is hands down the best fantasy TV series ever produced, but Heroes is probably the best scifi series.

The Matrix is a scifi classic, I don't acknowledge the other two though.
Star Wars IV-VI
Star Trek (2009)

Watchmen
Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy
Superman: The Movie
Batman (1989)

message 50: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Jeff wrote: "Heroes is probably the best scifi series. "

only the first season though right? I MEAN RIGHT? it really didn't exist after that one....

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread