The Sword and Laser discussion

The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe)
This topic is about The Hobbit
What Else Are You Reading? > Your copy of The Hobbit

Comments (showing 1-50 of 67) (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

John (DowdyKitchenMan) | 107 comments In the latest podcast (#113), Tom mentioned his 25th Anniversary edition of The Hobbit. There are so many different versions and printings; it'd be cool to share pics of what the group is reading. The beat-up paperback I first read way back is long gone, but I lusted after this version and am looking forward to finally reading it again.. http://goo.gl/VBWTl

message 2: by terpkristin (last edited Oct 30, 2012 06:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

terpkristin | 3000 comments I have the "pocket" edition from Think Geek: http://instagram.com/p/RbcOwAGqoI/ (Lego Series 7 figures for reference)

It can be procured here.

I've got another mass market type paperback edition upstairs, which is what I originally read it in. And I think I have a copy at my parents' house from the 60's or 70's (it was either at my grandparents' house or aunt's house).

Funny, I'll probably end up listening to the audio from Audible this time.

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1855 comments I own two copies, the The Annotated Hobbit and a green leather-bound, fully-illustrated edition:

message 4: by Rik (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rik | 550 comments Its an old beat up paperback version I've had for over 30 years now. It can in a set with the three LOTR books and each is a different color. Hobbit was yellow and other three were red, green, and blue though I forget which goes to which.

David(LA,CA) (DavidScharf) | 327 comments I'm going with the enhanced ebook edition available for Nook.

I honestly have no idea what makes it enhanced. Guess I'll find out in December.

message 6: by Jlawrence, S&L Forum Mod (last edited Oct 30, 2012 09:00PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jlawrence | 835 comments Mod
I recently bought the Annotated Hobbit in preparation for the December read.

I do wish I still had the beat-up paperback I read as a kid, it had this cover:
[image error]

I vividly remember reading it while staying at my grandmother's house, and visualizing the outline of the Misty Mountains in the water stains of the bedroom ceiling where I was reading.

terpkristin | 3000 comments JLawrence, that's the edition that I was thinking of that's at my parents' house! It's the one that we took from either my grandparents' house or aunt's house when they died.

terpkristin | 3000 comments Also, I have a "box set" of the same art style paperbacks for The Lord of the Rings trilogy, but those are here with me at my house now.

message 9: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob (robzak) | 3055 comments Mod
Mine isn't worth even posting a picture of. The original I read in High School belonged to the school.

I got a MMPB LotR+Hobbit boxset in college just before Fellowship of the Rings came out (because somehow I hadn't read the LotR books yet).

Nothing special, though I do like having a set of the 4 books. Thankfully, they don't have movie covers. It might say "soon to be a motion picture" somewhere, but I don't think it does.

message 10: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments This is the one I read as a kid, and even then I didn't think it looked quite right:

The one I'll be reading with the group looks more like this:

Ayesha (craniumrinse) | 149 comments The Hobbit is one of my most given away books. I'm now on my third or fourth copy. It's looks just like my last copy only with a yellow banner saying "Now a major motion picture!"

message 12: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob (robzak) | 3055 comments Mod
Ayesha wrote: "The Hobbit is one of my most given away books. I'm now on my third or fourth copy. It's looks just like my last copy only with a yellow banner saying "Now a major motion picture!""

Do you keep giving it away because you didn't like it very much?

Meghan (Bobette) | 30 comments The copy I have looks like this:

Ayesha (craniumrinse) | 149 comments Rob wrote: "Do you keep giving it away because you didn't like it very much?"
Not at all. If I catch anyone looking at my bookshelf, I go into "suggestion" mode and start handing out my favorites.

message 15: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina (javabird) | 361 comments terpkristin wrote: "JLawrence, that's the edition that I was thinking of that's at my parents' house! It's the one that we took from either my grandparents' house or aunt's house when they died."

That's the version I read in the 7th grade, too!

Next month, I'll be re-reading the enhanced edition of the ebook on the iPad.

message 16: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara (medusasmirror) | 43 comments I've had three or four editions over the years. The very first one I read was from my high school library and had the same cover that aldenoneil had.
I've also had this one: The Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien
and this one:
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
I'll probably be listening to the audiobook version this time around though.

message 17: by Pamela (new)

Pamela D (FunIsReading) | 42 comments aldenoneil wrote: "This is the one I read as a kid, and even then I didn't think it looked quite right:

"

I had this version too as a kid! This time around I am reading the annotated version.

message 18: by Warren (new)

Warren | 1320 comments http://goo.gl/Qb0HF
I actually bought my first paperback copy of it at the book store in Austin where Tom use to work. I've been through several version a since then. Now I have a hardback version but the words are still the same.

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1454 comments On my bookshelf I have the same green leather bound edition that Sean posted a picture of above. For reading next month I picked up a used paperback copy of this one :
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 929 comments I actually have all the different paperback covers that Del Rey ever published, including the second edition printing, the ones with the lion on the cover. That is probably the edition I will read this time around.

Katie (Calenmir) | 211 comments My Dad read to me when I was little from one he and my Mom purchased in England in the 70's, I looked at pictures online and it is the same cover as the first edition though I know it *wasn't* a first edition. Between my husband and I we now have three or four copies, one hardback my parents got me in England more recently, one American hardback, and one or two paperbacks.

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 759 comments I still have to dig my copy of The Hobbit out of my basement, but some Googling helped me find the cover. This was my version, although mine was a Canadian English edition, and this looks Spanish:

I bought mine in the early 90s along with Lord of the Rings with a similar style cover (golden trim with runes).

message 23: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine (Christine01) | 9 comments David(LA,CA) wrote: "I'm going with the enhanced ebook edition available for Nook.

I honestly have no idea what makes it enhanced. Guess I'll find out in December."

I have the enhanced ebook edition of the Hobbit on my Nook Color. Basically you get all kinds of maps and drawings included with it. Its really neat, I am sure you will love it!

message 24: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John (DowdyKitchenMan) | 107 comments Kevin wrote: "I actually have all the different paperback covers that Del Rey ever published, including the second edition printing, the ones with the lion on the cover. That is probably the edition I will read ..."
That's pretty neat! I think the cover Jlawrence posted is also the one I first read. The Hobbit and LOTR are definitely THE books that woke the Sword and Laser fan in me ages ago; it'll be fun to read through the book discussion and then see the film.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1905 comments I've never read it, so I'm thinking of following Veronica's lead and trying out Whispersync between Kindle and audio.

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 929 comments John wrote: "Kevin wrote: "I actually have all the different paperback covers that Del Rey ever published, including the second edition printing, the ones with the lion on the cover. That is probably the editio..."

I actually was a big collector of Tolkien especially The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings about ten years ago. I have stopped, but I still have all the books.

Joseph | 1123 comments My "real" copy is the same as Meghan's above -- part of a boxed set with LotR. The Tolkien covers are my favorite.

When Houghton Mifflin did the slightly revised trade paperbacks of Hobbit and LotR around the time the first Peter Jackson movie was coming out, I picked those up because, hey, better text. And the covers (Alan Lee?) are nice. The only covers I'd tend to avoid are either movie tie-in covers or the ones with the black covers and "realistic" paintings like aldenoneil's above.

I also have The History of the Hobbit (the two volume hardcover edition) although I haven't delved into it yet.

Having said that, when I reread Tolkien it'll be on my Kindle this time.

message 28: by Thomas (last edited Nov 03, 2012 02:16AM) (new)

Thomas (Velverin) | 42 comments I once owned a Special Edition together with LoTR, but I sold it cause LoTR never really got to me. I think LoTR is my most lemmed book of all time. Now I just own a normal copy of The Hobbit:

Apsalar | 29 comments I manage to get the illustrated edition The Hobbit  by J.R.R. Tolkien. Will try and read that one so i can look at the illustrations, but have a kindle version too that is much easier to take with me and read when I'm not at home.

message 30: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil (Phil_Rozelle_Oz) | 33 comments Couldn't resist joining in. Bought this one in Tahiti in 1974 because the cover was so opposite to my view of everything Tolkien. The french transaltion was pretty faithful though.

Joseph | 146 comments ^Wow, that's pretty...interesting.

I have a beautiful hardback of this version: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien and I can't wait to read it again in December. :D

message 32: by Jeff (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 212 comments My copy is from a gift box set that I got when Fellowship of the Rings came out in the cinema. Never read it, but like others will probably get the kindle version an possibly the audiobook for whispersync action.

Lizzy (Kymethra) Mine is this edition, which belonged to my mum before me and I think came from a library because it has a plastic cover protector around it:

message 34: by Sonic (new)

Sonic Alpha (sonicalpha) | 19 comments I don't own a copy :(

However, I will be picking it up from Audible. I just have to decide between the Abridged (for 1 credit), and the Unabridged (for 2 credits) versions.

message 35: by Seawood (new) - added it

Seawood | 129 comments Lizzy wrote: "Mine is this edition, which belonged to my mum before me and I think came from a library because it has a plastic cover protector around it:"

Ah, I have that one too! It was my dad's. The spine is cracked to bits.

Our little girl turned seven today so we've bought her the new hardback special edition, which also came out today:

We'll be reading it to her along with you - her first time - as soon as it arrives.

message 36: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Wiswell | 86 comments Sean wrote: "I own two copies, the The Annotated Hobbit and a green leather-bound, fully-illustrated edition:

"

The green one is what I own! I love this copy. It feels so nice in the hands. Only problem is I don't want to mark it up, which I usually love doing with books I've enjoyed.

Meghan (Bobette) | 30 comments Sonic wrote: "I don't own a copy :(

However, I will be picking it up from Audible. I just have to decide between the Abridged (for 1 credit), and the Unabridged (for 2 credits) versions."

Your library should have the unabridged copy for free!

message 39: by Timm (new) - rated it 5 stars

Timm Woods (Kexizzoc) | 43 comments aldenoneil wrote: "This is the one I read as a kid, and even then I didn't think it looked quite right:

"

I had the same version, creases and all, handed down to me from my older brother. When I read it I had no concept of Tolkien's popularity, and I sincerely thought I had discovered a secret gem of a story that no one knew about :P. Also, I became obsessed with the runes underneath the picture, having already figured out they spelled out the title. Once I discovered a copy of LotR that had the alphabet appendixes I was ALL OVER THAT.

message 40: by Matthew (last edited Nov 13, 2012 07:50PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew (masupert) | 192 comments Timm wrote: "aldenoneil wrote: "This is the one I read as a kid, and even then I didn't think it looked quite right:

"

I had the same version, cre..."

Yup, got mine in 7th grade I think from my Scholastic order catalog. The cover came off years ago.

Although there was this one version that I used to get when I was a little kid from the library that was illustrated and came with a cassette that read the book and you followed along to it in the book. We checked it out several times and I never knew it was the Hobbit or the same Hobbit until years later when I finally read the book proper.

message 41: by Sonic (new)

Sonic Alpha (sonicalpha) | 19 comments Meghan wrote: "Your library should have the unabridged copy for free! "

Weirdly, my library doesn't seem to have an audiobook section :/

They do have a copy of the physical version of the book, but it's out... and there's a waiting list o_0

Buying a copy of the book is easy enough though, lol.

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1454 comments Sonic wrote: "I don't own a copy :(

However, I will be picking it up from Audible. I just have to decide between the Abridged (for 1 credit), and the Unabridged (for 2 credits) versions."

Wow, 2 credits for such a short book. Unless it's a full cast production or something that sounds like blatant price gouging.

David Sven (Gorro) | 1552 comments AndrewP wrote: "Wow, 2 credits for such a short book. Unless it's a full cast production or something that sounds like blatant price gouging. "

This seriously annoyed the crap out of me. WHAT! 2 credits for a 12 hour book! Audible have given $20 worth of free credit this month however so... Its still wrong.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1905 comments Mine wasn't two credits, and is unabridged.

David Sven (Gorro) | 1552 comments Jenny wrote: "Mine wasn't two credits, and is unabridged."

Thats what peeves me off even more. Its not split in all countries -

terpkristin | 3000 comments It also depends on when you signed up...I'm a long-time member (since early 2005) and I've never seen anything be 2 credits. But apparently newer accounts have 2 credits vs. 1. No idea what criteria decides 2 credits or 1...

David Sven (Gorro) | 1552 comments Maybe if I have a melt down they might come to the party. They seem quite flexible - I emailed to query whether I qualified for their $10 promotion. The person who replied said they didn't know but threw me the $10 anyway just in case I wasn't - and I didn't have to wait till the end of the month.

message 48: by Sonic (last edited Nov 16, 2012 03:20PM) (new)

Sonic Alpha (sonicalpha) | 19 comments @Jenny On Audible UK, the unabridged audiobook has been split into two parts (which is why it costs 2 credits) :-(

I downloaded the first part today, but now I have to wait till mid December for the rest -_-

message 49: by Jeff (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 212 comments I just finished the unabridged from Audible. Was great and got me back into listening to audiobooks again. I actually bought the Kindle version to use WhisperSync, but never read it at all. That's how happy I was with the Audible version.

BTW: When I tried subscribing again, it wouldn't allow me. Emailed customer support and they gave me 2 free credit. Used 1 on The Hobbit hence the double dipping of the Kindle version.

AndrewP (AndrewCa) | 1454 comments Even worse is that if you go straight to Amazon and buy the Audible book it's $15.95 for the older unabridged version, $23.95 for the new 2012 unabridged version and $17.95 for the abridged version !

All significantly less that the cost of two credits. Go figure.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Annotated Hobbit: The Hobbit, Or, There and Back Again (other topics)
The Hobbit or There and Back Again (other topics)
The Hobbit (other topics)
The History of the Hobbit (other topics)
The Hobbit (other topics)
More...